Props to McElroy

TNJet

Given the help he had on oline and at wr, he did very well. Consider if Campbell caught that pass with seconds remaining that Greg put right on the money, he would have thrown for about 230 yds, and 2 tds. Put him behind our starting oline and wrs, he could be a decent player in this league. I know from being an SEC fan and vol fan, the kid never lost a football game in his LIFE until his senior year at UA, when he lost 3. A winner is a winner and it showed tonight. B)

He seemed to be locked in with Turner and Cumberland. I think this guy will make a very solid backup for us. Which is something we really have not had here for a long time.

Agreed. And man, Cumberland is a hoss isnt he? He impressed me with his power and good hands. If i'm Rex I get this guy a few reps with the first team. Looks like he could be coached up into our blocking TE we need. :)

I admire the hell out of the kid for the show he put on tonight. He's got 2 weeks of pro camp in his life captaining the weirdo squad and he comes out with no semblance of an OL and should have brought the Jets a come from behind a victory. Unfortunately, his arm makes Penny's look like a howitzer. Like somebody else said tonight - if you're not game planning against him, i think he could come in and move the chains.

I admire the hell out of the kid for the show he put on tonight. He's got 2 weeks of pro camp in his life captaining the weirdo squad and he comes out with no semblance of an OL and should have brought the Jets a come from behind a victory. Unfortunately, his arm makes Penny's look like a howitzer. Like somebody else said tonight - if you're not game planning against him, i think he could come in and move the chains.

Thats a perfect comparison. Greg actually reminds me of a more mobile Pennington. They are both students of the game and can beat you with their brains over braun. McElroy is a winner I can tell already. If he had to be put in during the regular season due to injury to Mark & Mark, I would have faith he would use the talent around him and win us some games boys. :)

Agreed. And man, Cumberland is a hoss isnt he? He impressed me with his power and good hands. If i'm Rex I get this guy a few reps with the first team. Looks like he could be coached up into our blocking TE we need. :)

Yep and he seems more adept at making the tough catchs than Keller. No reason we cant get them both involved in the passing game ....how tall is cumberland 6-6 ? good redzone situation me thinks

Yep and he seems more adept at making the tough catchs than Keller. No reason we cant get them both involved in the passing game ....how tall is cumberland 6-6 ? good redzone situation me thinks

Yeah I thought atleast 6-6 when I saw him. Dude could be a beast in a twin TE set. New England isnt the only team that could have two good TE's on the field at the same time. Ofcourse Schotty might fck up that notion :face:

McElroy did have a good game. He also seemed to have a good presenece on the field. He always gave the impression that he was on top of things and in control. The close-ups of him in the huddle showed a confidence in his eyes that was great considering it was his first NFL game.

While I hope never to see him, but I would not think all was lost if he were to come into a game.

I think the "bad arm" thing might be a little overblown.

He's certainly no Elway or Namath, but I think a few of those underthrows early in the game were more due to an inability to step in and follow through because he had guys in his face pretty much all night.

He did have a few legit underthrows, but the throw to Campbell was right on and should have been the game winning TD.

Tough kid, though ... really love his moxy.

And a coach's son, which is almost always a big positive.

Showed alot of poise in his first NFL game, too.

Could be a solid backup.

McElroy just doesn't have an NFL arm.

We need to sign a backup quickly.

Gotta agree. I'd keep him as the #3 but his long throws looked a bit wobbly and seemed to take forever getting to the WR. I'm all in on Sanchez but damn I miss Vinny sometimes...

Archived