No Maybin Thread Yet?

#27TheDominator

He looked very quick around the edge. At a minimum he seems like a one trick pony, with that trick being just what Rex and the Jets want. He looked significantly faster around the T than Gholston, Westerman, etc. It was a backup, but it was a LT, so presumably their better pass protector. He can make a significant run at a roster spot. Man that stands to lose? Garrett McIntyre. I'll be very interested to see him get some extra time on the field next week.

I felt bad for Westerman when they signed Taylor last year. Also felt bad when they signed Maybin this year. Maybin had a sack ... pretty sure that cements his spot on this roster. Not sure how much upside Maybin has at this point. He seems to struggle to keep his weight an ounce over 240. But he could be a nice option on the 3rd and long that the Jets will hopefully be seeing a lot of this year on defense.

I watched Westerman closely a few times tonight, I thought he looked good. Just glad Jason Taylor is gone so whoever ends up getting that playing time at least it isn't him anymore!

How is he in coverage? He's lightweight so maybe he can be good there. I liked this signing, I like it even more now. He may never amount to anything, but it's worth a shot.

I am not sure how he is in coverage but it is definitely worth watching.

How is he in coverage? He's lightweight so maybe he can be good there. I liked this signing, I like it even more now. He may never amount to anything, but it's worth a shot.

I'm not sure. I think he played more as a true DE in college and I never heard a single positive thing about his time in Buffalo. He didn't know the defense well enough this week to count on anything. We'll see more the next couple of weeks. He seemed to just speed rush wide, no moves or anything, but I think I saw him make some moves rushing a punt.

I felt bad for Westerman when they signed Taylor last year. Also felt bad when they signed Maybin this year. Maybin had a sack ... pretty sure that cements his spot on this roster. Not sure how much upside Maybin has at this point. He seems to struggle to keep his weight an ounce over 240. But he could be a nice option on the 3rd and long that the Jets will hopefully be seeing a lot of this year on defense.

I watched Westerman closely a few times tonight, I thought he looked good. Just glad Jason Taylor is gone so whoever ends up getting that playing time at least it isn't him anymore!

I have always wondered why people have so much problem upping their weight. They should just have my diet and see the pounds add up! :)

I dont think it matters what his coverage skills are. when he is out on the field it is to rush the passer(did you ever think, hrmmm, how is jason taylor in coverage?). I just need him not to crumble under a fullback on a run play. that seems to be his biggest weakness. If he is that much of a liability against the run, I dont see how Rex allows him to play. He did blow by a 3rd string tackle so he sticks a bit longer imo.

I mentioned his preseason sack totals over his first two years (five!) the other day and was mocked -MOCKED, I tell you- by JF80. I think it was encouraging to see his speed around the edge last night, but we definitely need to keep in mind that this is the preseason. Like Gholston, he has yet to register a regular season sack. At first glimpse, he does look to have more raw ability than Gholston, though. Should have more sack opportunities on the Jets defense than the Bills, too.

I don't think it matters at all. I think he'll be simply a designated pass rusher, with his hand on the ground a lot of the time. If he proves out as a pass rusher, then the Jets will start thinking about keeping him and teaching him some other aspects of being an NFL LB.

Gholston has preseason sacks too, in fact, one of them was a game winner. Just sayin

Not sure and highly doubt he'll ever be asked to cover.

He is a hand in the dirt edge rusher... that is about it... but when teams are playing from behind this year (I hope) he will be a NICE option to at the very least disrupt the pass... he is so quick he shakes the QB right away even if he doesn't get all the way there... he was coming off the line like a rocket ship...

Gholston has preseason sacks too, in fact, one of them was a game winner. Just sayin

In other words, it came against he lowliest of future UPS drivers. :P

Gholston had two sacks in three preseasons, Maybin had five in two preseasons (and another last night). He looked like he has a lot more instinct then Gholston ever had in the couple plays we saw him last night, and he has the preseason numbers to suggest that the Jets might be able to get something out of him.

In other words, it came against he lowliest of future UPS drivers. :P

Gholston had two sacks in three preseasons, Maybin had five in two preseasons (and another last night). He looked like he has a lot more instinct then Gholston ever had in the couple plays we saw him last night, and he has the preseason numbers to suggest that the Jets might be able to get something out of him.

And who did Maybin's sacks come against?

I hope he's a legitimate pass rusher, but I'm not holding my breath.

He is going to be a good ST player and a good set of fresh legs to shake up the pocket... he is not going to rack up sacks... but he is quick enough off the edge to screw up plays and the pocket..

He is going to be a good ST player and a good set of fresh legs to shake up the pocket... he is not going to rack up sacks... but he is quick enough off the edge to screw up plays and the pocket..

I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath for even that little of a contribution.

I'm not holding my breath either, BooBoo. Just saying that he has better, all important preseason numbers and passes the eyeball test better than Gholston ever did.

He looks like a strong candidate to make the roster right now, which is not something I was ready to say when they first signed him.

Maybe Rex can transform him the NFL equivalent of a DH. He can't play the run, can't defend in space but could have value as a one-trick donkey. Maybe just put him on the edge in obvious blitzing situations. I don't think the Bills' defense had the luxury of using him in such a limited way.

Haha so Maybin had more sacks in one game, than Gholston over his whole career with the Jets including preseason. I think this kid could be legit. That was a nice sack fumble.

I take this back. Gholston did have preseason sack against the Eagles last year. Maybin's was still 100x better.

I dont think anyone cares because its against a guy that in two weeks will be out of the NFL. I still dont see how he fits. He just looks so skinny out there. Hed be big by the standards of 1982. In 2011 he looks so out of position.

doesn't have to be big. just has to run around the T and kill the QB. that's his only job. no coverage, just DPR

I dont think anyone cares because its against a guy that in two weeks will be out of the NFL. I still dont see how he fits. He just looks so skinny out there. Hed be big by the standards of 1982. In 2011 he looks so out of position.

he's not going to be asked to stand up against the run. Just get around the corner. Last night he did against a weak player. It's still better then anyone else did.

In Buffalo he was asked to be an every down line backer. He couldn't do that. We'll see.

It's nice he had a good game

imo, he seems to be a one trick pony. very fast first step and has a really good up and under move. i think he could do well as a sit. pass rusher on larger less athletic tackles, where it looks like he doesnt have the power to rush thru a more athletic type

I honestly don't think it much matters who he did it against. He looked fast around the end. Real fast. I remember the advice that LT gave to Gholston-whatever you do, do it at top speed. Gholston never did it, but that's what Maybin looked like. I'd be more concerned that he went so wide because it's possible that they don't want that. People used to complain about Gastineau and Douglas going wide, but this guy will probably only see the field on 3rd and 7+. I don't expect him to be an every down player, but if he can rush the passer they will find a spot for him. If he can provide anything on specials - he certainly has the size/speed to do that - it will be far from a wasted roster spot. I don't think they rotate that many OLBs. They can use Westerman to rotate and we'll see if Maybin can beat out Garrett McIntyre in the next couple of weeks.

Archived