Shonn Greene - I am not a fan

slats

I don't see this guy carrying the load at all. I think he's a quality closer. A guy you can hand it to when you're looking to grind out the game clock against a well worked opponent, but he's just not the man, IMHO. This has been my opinion of him for awhile, but it really hit home last night. LT, who didn't look good running the ball in the preseason, looked better than Greene yesterday.

Thing is, I don't want LT getting used like that. I like him as the third down back, but the Jets had no choice but to keep him in there full time once the urgency built up in the second half. That kinda use of LT will result in him running out of gas again at the end of the year. That's not good.

I want to see more McKnight. He showed something last year against Buffalo, he continues to show his selflessness on special teams. He deserves a bigger role on the offense, and the offense -I think- cold be better because of it. The Jets did something fascinating last night - they executed a couple beautiful screen passes! I would much prefer seeing McKnight on the receiving end of those than Greene. He's better catching the ball, and better in space. He can also split out wide and be effective there, or run the wildcat. The Jets could better disguise what they're next call will be with him in the huddle.

Also disappointed that Bilal Powell couldn't contribute enough on specials to be active. He needs to step up. Having him available would be nice.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure that I disagree with you, but last night was hardly the time to make that judgment. The OL was absolutely atrocious, and the guy was getting hit in the backfield on pretty much every play. I'm not sure if there's a back in the league who has any success with those carries Greene got last night.

This. The line stunk and there was no real commitment to running the ball. I can understand that in the context of this game. Between poor blocking, Dallas losing their top 3 corners and playing from behind, they pretty much abandoned the run.

The run blocking needs to get fixed fast IMO. Sanchez throwing the ball 45 times a game isn't how this team is going to win the division.

I'm not sure that I disagree with you, but last night was hardly the time to make that judgment. The OL was absolutely atrocious, and the guy was getting hit in the backfield on pretty much every play. I'm not sure if there's a back in the league who has any success with those carries Greene got last night.

Like I said, I felt this way before last night's game, and last night's game did nothing to alter my opinion.

LT looked better rushing the football. Granted, when LT is on the field the defense has to think more about the pass, but that's one of the problems with having Greene on the field - you know he's not out there to catch a pass.

Correct.

I don't see this guy carrying the load at all. I think he's a quality closer. A guy you can hand it to when you're looking to grind out the game clock against a well worked opponent, but he's just not the man, IMHO. This has been my opinion of him for awhile, but it really hit home last night. LT, who didn't look good running the ball in the preseason, looked better than Greene yesterday.

Thing is, I don't want LT getting used like that. I like him as the third down back, but the Jets had no choice but to keep him in there full time once the urgency built up in the second half. That kinda use of LT will result in him running out of gas again at the end of the year. That's not good.

I want to see more McKnight. He showed something last year against Buffalo, he continues to show his selflessness on special teams. He deserves a bigger role on the offense, and the offense -I think- cold be better because of it. The Jets did something fascinating last night - they executed a couple beautiful screen passes! I would much prefer seeing McKnight on the receiving end of those than Greene. He's better catching the ball, and better in space. He can also split out wide and be effective there, or run the wildcat. The Jets could better disguise what they're next call will be with him in the huddle.

Also disappointed that Bilal Powell couldn't contribute enough on specials to be active. He needs to step up. Having him available would be nice.

Slats its only one game and our O-Line was destroyed last night to be honest. Lets give him some time no one was running the ball with the penetration Dallas was getting on us last night. If anything i would rather see Powell than McSpecialT

Like I said, I felt this way before last night's game, and last night's game did nothing to alter my opinion.

LT looked better rushing the football. Granted, when LT is on the field the defense has to think more about the pass, but that's one of the problems with having Greene on the field - you know he's not out there to catch a pass.

I'm still conflicted on Greene, so I get your point, I just really don't think you can count last night to mean much of anything with how bad his blocking was. LT's success came almost entirely in the passing game. Was his 3.2 YPC really that much more impressive than Greene's 2.6? It was a mess for all parties running the ball. I might agree with you more if it weren't for the fact that I thought Greene had a nice preseason, far better than the other Jets RBs, with McKnight the only other one really showing anything. Worst case scenario, the Jets have a whole slew of RBs and the team showed last year they won't hesitate to pull the plug on Greene if he's not doing what they think he should be.

Shonn Greene will never be a flash/big yardage back. I think if he gets his YPC to about 4 or so we can consider him productive. We do need better than he gave last night but I think he's running in tougher circumstances due to the fact that when he's on the field it's pretty much yelling HERE COMES THE RUN!!!!!! Someone made this point already and I 100% agree.

I think Rob took a page out of brother Rex's book with the "do whatever you want on offense but I WILL stop your run" mentality. I wouldnt place too much stock into our first game of the season being the way our whole season will go. Sure they stuffed our run, but we had over 300 yds of O through the air. Now if we were stuffed on the run and couldnt move the ball through the air I would agree on blaming Greene, I mean schotty...

Archived