Which Players Currently On The Roster Are You Done With?

SoFlaJets

It's extreme because it's stupid.

I think it's a reasonable premise. The Jets haven't drafted as well since landing Revis and Harris. Wilson looks like he'll be fine, at least for now, and the jury is still out on Mo and Kenrick, but there's certainly been a downward trend. However he's done well balancing this out with FA and trades, as well as a monster coaching switch. Not an easy thing to do, but nonetheless frustrating because if he'd nailed both, getting homefield for the playoffs would not even be a remote concern this year.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a reasonable premise. The Jets haven't drafted as well since landing Revis and Harris. Wilson looks like he'll be fine, at least for now, and the jury is still out on Mo and Kenrick, but there's certainly been a downward trend. However he's done well balancing this out with FA and trades, as well as a monster coaching switch. Not an easy thing to do, but nonetheless frustrating because if he'd nailed both, getting homefield for the playoffs would not even be a remote concern this year.

I agree that Tanny has not drafted as well since Revis and Harris, but after drafting HOF caliber talent teams tend to fill the holes around them. Also, I think it's rare to draft multiple great players over a series of years.

Look at Ozzie Newsome, considered one of the best. Their great players are Ngata (2006), Reed (2002), Suggs (2003), and Lewis (1996). Their good players are Rice and Flacco (2008) and Flacco (2008). Think about that. The excellent Ozzie Newsome hasn't drafted a great player since 2006 (the year before Tanny drafted his last great player), but Tanny is being taken to task for not drafting as well since then.

I say it's the nature of the business. Good teams than draft great players only get a couple and build around them, just like what Newsome and Tanny have done.

Is it though? Last I checked Rex hated Gholston more than Tannenbaumn supposedly did before Mangini forced him into drafting the kid.

I'm not really into revisionist history. I mean, at the time, 2008 was supposed to have been when Tannenbaum lost patience with Mangini and took over the reins, right? That's certainly what the party line was among people who don't like Mangini. I don't see why it can't be everybody's fault.

And they already have replacements in line for Smith, Keisel, Farrior, Harrison, etc. Who's in when we lose one linebacker? Think that's funny?

Yeah, Mauga and Westerman are not appealing, but you have no idea if those Steeler "replacements" would anywhere near effective as the older players.

I'm not really into revisionist history. I mean, at the time, 2008 was supposed to have been when Tannenbaum lost patience with Mangini and took over the reins, right? That's certainly what the party line was among people who don't like Mangini. I don't see why it can't be everybody's fault.

Yep. "The Mangini drafted Gholston" story is such bullsh*t. That was Tanny's decision and he drafted a bust. It happens. Don't pin it on the guy you fired.

I honestly thought this would be fairly uncontroversial to most people.

The pro-personnel stuff has been good for the most part, lucky or not, but it's also not sufficient to sustain our recent success. The optimists' counterargument is basically that Sanchez and/or some combination of Wilson/Wilkerson/Ellis will turn into studs, despite basically no evidence whatsoever for that scenario actually happening.

I agree that Tanny has not drafted as well since Revis and Harris, but after drafting HOF caliber talent teams tend to fill the holes around them. Also, I think it's rare to draft multiple great players over a series of years.

Look at Ozzie Newsome, considered one of the best. Their great players are Ngata (2006), Reed (2002), Suggs (2003), and Lewis (1996). Their good players are Rice and Flacco (2008) and Flacco (2008). Think about that. The excellent Ozzie Newsome hasn't drafted a great player since 2006 (the year before Tanny drafted his last great player), but Tanny is being taken to task for not drafting as well since then.

I say it's the nature of the business. Good teams than draft great players only get a couple and build around them, just like what Newsome and Tanny have done.

Terrence Cody will be one of the best NT's in football by the end of this year.

Ultimately, I see your point though - and frankly, the past couple years have just been very thin on talent. Which is why guys like Derrick Mason and Donald Driver still have jobs.

Hahahahahaha - not only are you "done" with the guy that just saved the game for us on Sunday night, you're also "done" with two 2nd year players and a rookie. lol

Cant wait till your GM.

Not only that, when McKnight was given a shot last year vs. the Bills he had a great game. A few more awful outings by Greene and McKnight might be getting some serious carries.

Mason reminds a whole bunch of Curtis Conway-a veteran looking for another season of scratch on the way out of the NFL.

E. Smith as a pure safety. When Rex gets creative with him like he did at the end of last year he's good. Just can't be your starting safety in a base D.

Cromartie- I could deal with him if he was making 4 mil and not 8 mil. Him and his agency made the Jets look silly. Waited for Aso to make his decision so all other options signed elsewhere. Then had Jets dead to rights.

He's average as a cover corner and gives no support in the run game.

Mason- If he continues to play like week 1.

Rice in the 2nd round is a great pick. He's a top 5 back.

Great points, and I'll add to it that by saying that successful GM's have trouble drafting special players because they're always picking so late. You don't get to take Ndamukong Suh or Patrick Peterson when you're picking in the 20's. So you settle for Kyle Wilson and Muhammad Wilkerson and hope they turn into capable starters. The only reason we got guys like Revis and Mangold in the first place is because we traded up. We can't afford to do that as much anymore, and that's OK.

Some GM's are great at unearthing studs with later picks, but it doesn't happen often. Sometimes you have to go high-risk high-reward with later picks, like the Jets did with Kenrick Ellis this year. No doubt he has 1st round talent, but at the time, he was on the hook for a felony assault charge.

Similarly, Sergio Kindle had a lot of question marks but the Ravens took him anyway and he looks like a stud.

It is rare. It is not, however, unreasonable to be concerned if you'll recover to prior form once the spiral starts.

It is rare. It is not, however, unreasonable to be concerned if you'll recover to prior form once the spiral starts.

Much like other successful franchises, our studs are bound to get old and we'll have a bad season one of these days. When that happens, we'll then have a better draft slot and perhaps be able to load up again.

JF80 makes a great point, however, that that doesn't happen because good teams with good GMs are usually drafting late in the draft. The great players are brought in by first sucking the prior year (Brick/Ngata/Raji), draft trades (Mangold/Revis/Harris/Matthews) or rabbits foot up your a$$ (Brady).

So the point is, the odds are greatly stacked against the Jets from drafting another great player unless the Jets having a bad season.

Much like other successful franchises, our studs are bound to get old and we'll have a bad season one of these days. When that happens, we'll then have a better draft slot and perhaps be able to load up again.

JUST like what happened to the Packers. How easily people forget that. The Packers went 6-10 in 2008 and that lead to them drafting 2 studs in Raji and Matthews.

I love it. I'm done with anyone who plays bad in one game. WOW. Shonn Greene didn't have many plays called his way, because we were behind most of the game. BENCH SANCHEZ, START BRUNNEL! BENCH PACE, BENCH REVIS HE GAVE UP A CATCH!

Just an FYI, you being "done" with a player, doesn't bear any sort of relevance or reality on the game.

Guys, don't you think one game into the season is a little early for this. For God sakes, we won the game and to see all the negativity is dumbfounding.

Lets wait till mid-season before we cut ties to any player. I am guilty of it with Eric Smith and I will no longer call for his benching until I have seen 8 games, at that point I will make my own assessment...but can we can it on negativity and just get to Game 8 before we ask for heads to roll?!?!

LL

Look, none of us have any say whatsoever in the Jets personell moves but I'm just asking which player(s) YOU guys are kind of fed up with when it comes to what we are supposed to see and what we actually DO see on a week to week basis. Now anyone who says cut a rookie or even a second year player who hasn't seen much playing time is crazy-even Ducasse didn't make my list for this reason.

I don't think this is dwelling on a negative it's message board stuff and I think it can be discussed without passing judgement on any other posters in the thread. Some of us might be a little more opinionated than others but stop playing cool kids at the lunch table and we should all be able to handle each other's ideas. JMO-BTW maybe I SHOULD be banned next Kleckineau is right

The pro-personnel stuff has been good for the most part, lucky or not, but it's also not sufficient to sustain our recent success. The optimists' counterargument is basically that Sanchez and/or some combination of Wilson/Wilkerson/Ellis will turn into studs, despite basically no evidence whatsoever for that scenario actually happening.

Jeez, a little harsh no? I mean, Wilkerson has played 1 game, Ellis wasnt even active. Wilson is a 2nd year player who played lights out the other night. How bout we give the more recent draft picks some time to pan out before we start claiming Tanny has busted out in the draft lately? While I get there's "no evidence" of them becoming players, there's also no evidence of them not.

I dont know, I'm usually really tough on draft criticism...but I dont think we've done as bad as you and Aten are making it out.

08 - Gholston was obviously a major bust, but we have our starting TE (who dont think is nearly as bad as this board does) and a nickle back how gave us some good games in Lowery.

09 - Sanchez, Greene and Slauson - all starters

10 - Wilson, Vlad, McKnight and Connor - our starting nickle back, a project OL, our best ST's guy, and our starting FB

11 - please, very hard to assess after 1 game. lol

I thought the rule was to give a draft three years? Now we are going to claim the GM is sh*t because there isn't any evidence that first and second year players will turn inot studs? Greene may not be a beast, but he's no worse than Thomas Jones and look at all the money we are saving there. Same with Slauson over Faneca.

So not only do you demean what ended up being a game-saving play, but you use it to say that you are "done" with McKnight?

As to the OP, I mostly agree with the Westerman hate. He seems like a pretty good special teamer, but he's been given every opportunity to be the starter here and simply doesn't cut it. However, it's not like we used an early draft pick on the guy.

Sorry to dig this one up after all the bickering, but Westerman has never been given even the slightest opportunity to start. He has been used in limited pass rushing situations. He was hurt for a good portion of his time here. I am not advocating him as a future stud or anything more than a decent backup, which by the way is important to have, but he never was supposed to take over for Pace, Thomas or Taylor. In fact, the team keeps bringing in OLBs to take his slot and he has still stuck around.

Of course it does. It's just a list of our players deliberately removed from any context which might make it not sound good. There aren't very many teams who haven't done significantly more than we have in the draft over the last four years. And Rex and Tannenbaum have been lucky even to have done as well as they have. Not just Holmes for free but cutting Moore to go after Chris Kemoeatu and nearly drafting Vlad in the first round.

:rl:

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Nearly drafting a player too early? Too funny!

They talked up Vlad. He impressed us so much we nearly took him in the first round! It's hype, nothing more. Do you have a valid argument if you stick to the things he's actually done, and stay away from the things he might've possibly considered? Or not.

Thought Wilson looked great on Sunday. Not sure where the disdain towards Wilkerson comes from either.

Archived