Activate Kenrick Ellis

TNJet

We need his size on run defense. Sione Bo has been getting blown up all year long. Not really sure why either, he was really good last season. Don't tell me we couldnt use an extra 350 lbs, atleast to spell him. Ellis looked great at times in the preseason. What do we have to lose? The raiders shredded us in the run game, and also start Pool over E Smith, the lack of speed in the secondary is getting old.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need his size on run defense. Sione Bo has been getting blown up all year long. Not really sure why either, he was really good last season. Don't tell me we couldnt use an extra 350 lbs, atleast to spell him. Ellis looked great at times in the preseason. What do we have to lose? The raiders shredded us in the run game, and also start Pool over E Smith, the lack of speed in the secondary is getting old.

This makes no sense... the JETS are still stuffing the run up the gut... if anything they need to find LB's with actual lateral speed and who can tackle when it isn't head on.

Our defensive line is nothing short of awesome. Ellis would barely see the field.

Eric Smith is awful. That said, we have the best pass defense in the league...so...

You might want to put that avatar on ice until Ellis actually shows the coaches enough to get some playing time. The middle of the line is one of the few areas that is not a problem.

Which makes me wonder why we drafted him. When asked about Ellis being inactive during his press conference the other day Rex said that it was a numbers game and that they have needed players at other positions thus far including last week where he wanted Maybin active to provide some rush.

So if they felt that we already had a strong group on the line, why draft Ellis in the 3rd round (our second pick) knowing that it may be possible he would be inactive? We certainly had other areas of need.

I don't get what Rex is doing with Smith/ Pool.

Smith was playing the best ball of his career at the end of last season, when Rex was using him as the extra LB.

The guy has proven over and over that he isn't capable of starting as a traditional FS. Pool should be starting and put Smith back at that hybrid spot.

I don't get what Rex is doing with Smith/ Pool.

Smith was playing the best ball of his career at the end of last season, when Rex was using him as the extra LB.

The guy has proven over and over that he isn't capable of starting as a traditional FS. Pool should be starting and put Smith back at that hybrid spot.

Perfect CFL scheme. Unfortunately, the Jets are an NFL team -- more or less.

Which makes me wonder why we drafted him. When asked about Ellis being inactive during his press conference the other day Rex said that it was a numbers game and that they have needed players at other positions thus far including last week where he wanted Maybin active to provide some rush.

So if they felt that we already had a strong group on the line, why draft Ellis in the 3rd round (our second pick) knowing that it may be possible he would be inactive? We certainly had other areas of need.

The reason the Jets drafted Ellis is that Pouha is 32. He has been playing well, but more then likely his decline will start in the near future.

Everyone knew Ellis was a project coming in. This is the perfect situation for him to develop his technique. I would like to see him on the field some, but not at the expense of a better player sitting.

Depth? Pouha is the oldest player on the line? Value? Dont know. I liked the pick a lot, but it always makes me nervous when a player doesnt make the game day roster.

The reason the Jets drafted Ellis is that Pouha is 32. He has been playing well, but more then likely his decline will start in the near future.

Everyone knew Ellis was a project coming in. This is the perfect situation for him to develop his technique. I would like to see him on the field some, but not at the expense of a better player sitting.

Depth? Pouha is the oldest player on the line? Value? Dont know. I liked the pick a lot, but it always makes me nervous when a player doesnt make the game day roster.

Ellis may turn out to be a good or great player for us, and I understand Pouha's age, but if the goal as stated by our coach was to make the superbowl this year I think our first 3 picks (2 in our case) should have been spent on players that could make a contribution to that goal this year, not on developmental players (who has yet to be active on gameday). Hopefully he is able to make some plays for us at some point this year.

Ellis may turn out to be a good or great player for us, and I understand Pouha's age, but if the goal as stated by our coach was to make the superbowl this year I think our first 3 picks (2 in our case) should have been spent on players that could make a contribution to that goal this year, not on developmental players (who has yet to be active on gameday). Hopefully he is able to make some plays for us at some point this year.

It was a late 3rd round pick. How many starters do you find in essentially the 4th round? I hear what you're saying but I think the Jets thought they had the right roster. They resigned a lot of players. In hindsight, an OT there probably would have been a great pick but I dont think they could have predicted the mess they are in.

I agree with you and spot on posting right there.

As we all know, the 3-4 NT position has always, and will always be one of the most important positions in all of football when running a 3-4 defensive scheme; as Rex Ryan and the Jets do. As of right now, Kenrick Ellis is only 23 years of age, and if our coaching staff can develope him the right way? At 6'4, 346 pounds... He could become the anchor of our defensive front for many of years to come. He's built like a beast, but he's obviously not ready yet; it's up to our coaching staff, especially Rex Ryan himself, to teach this kid the right method of technique in regards to playing a difficult NT position. It's not easy, especially for a rookie.

On a side note, It's amazing to see Wilkerson play the DE position. If Wilkerson can stay healthy, he's going to be a star for us. He's only 21 years of age, he's a baby, but yet... Plays the position like a veteran. Wilkerson has been a stand out rookie thus far, but he really impressed me against the Ravens. With all that said, our coaching staff is right for allowing Ellis the chance to develope, without throwing him into the fire. When spelling Pouha, with two rookies on the defensive line in Wilkerson and Ellis... That could spell for trouble.

It was a late 3rd round pick. How many starters do you find in essentially the 4th round? I hear what you're saying but I think the Jets thought they had the right roster. They resigned a lot of players. In hindsight, an OT there probably would have been a great pick but I dont think they could have predicted the mess they are in.

Im not even saying a starter, just somebody who would have been active on gameday even as part of a rotation.

Just saying that if they already had enough guys on the Dline and it was possible Ellis would be inactive this much maybe they should have looked elsewhere and drafted a DT next year.

Im not even saying a starter, just somebody who would have been active on gameday even as part of a rotation.

Just saying that if they already had enough guys on the Dline and it was possible Ellis would be inactive this much maybe they should have looked elsewhere and drafted a DT next year.

Yeah, and if Pouha goes down for the season... You'd become one of the first Jet fans crying that Rex Ryan and company refused to address the NT position. As we all know, when running a 3-4 defensive scheme, the 3-4 NT position has always, and will always be considered one of the most important positions in all of football. If something were to ever happen to Pouha, this season, our fan base will thank the football god's that we landed a project such as Ellis during the draft. There is nothing wrong with how we're developing Ellis from a far. Also, just because he hasn't been active on gameday, as a part of our rotation... Doesn't mean K.Ellis won't contribute to the team later on, especially come playoff time against teams that run the football.

Yeah, and if Pouha goes down for the season... You'd become one of the first Jet fans crying that Rex Ryan and company refused to address the NT position

As we all know, when running a 3-4 defensive scheme, the 3-4 NT position has always, and will always be considered one of the most important positions in all of football. If something were to ever happen to Pouha, this season, our fan base will thank the football god's that we landed a project such as Ellis during the draft. There is nothing wrong with how we're developing Ellis from a far. Also, just because he hasn't been active on gameday, as a part of our rotation... Doesn't mean K.Ellis won't contribute to the team later on, especially come playoff time against teams that run the football.

Ah no.

I wouldnt come here crying, just because I dont neccessarily think if Pouha were to get hurt Ellis would be able to step right in and fill his role anyway. We would probably need to go out and get a veteran.

My point as far as Ellis is concerned is that if you are a team that is talking about winning the superbowl THIS YEAR should you really take a developmental player at a position that you feel you already have enough capable players at and as such he will be inactive on a weekly basis.

As far as his potential contributions later in the year See my previous posts where I said that Ellis may turn out to be a very good player for us and hopefully will be to make some plays for us this year.

There's one major flaw with your logic here. To start this NFL season, teams have been passing the ball at a record rate. At this point, run-stuffing DTs is far from the biggest defensive priority. But just like every other year, as the weather gets colder teams are going to start passing less and running more. That means when the games count the most, the Jets will have their young, enormous DT prepared, healthy and ready to go. Don't think for a second this hasn't been part of Rex's plan all along and assuming the Jets games still mean something that late into the season, having that when it matters most will be huge. Outside of maybe an OL or safety (assuming there was one available at that spot that would be good enough), what position do you think would be exactly contributing all that much right now anyway? Perhaps an OLB, but the Jets weren't exactly going to predict BT's injury.

Outside of maybe an OL or safety (assuming there was one available at that spot that would be good enough), what position do you think would be exactly contributing all that much right now anyway? Perhaps an OLB, but the Jets weren't exactly going to predict BT's injury.

I dont think at the time of the draft they would have been thinking Oline with a healthy turner and what they thought was an improving Ducasse. But we could definetly use help at safety, OLB, TE and WR.

Even without Bt's injury we still brought in McIntyre and Maybin

A lot of it has to do with value. The Jets and several other teams had a first round value on Ellis. His legal problems, and past problems caused him to fall to the 3rd. Teams that stay near the top for a number of years have to take advantage of opportunities at soon to be needed positions when they are presented. The Jets did.

In preseason I noticed a few things about Ellis. He has a habit of standing up like a bear. At Hampton he could get away with that. In the NFL he will get pushed off the LOS. That makes him a liability right now.

Some good things I noticed about him is that he is very BIG and very strong. Not only that but the guy has a non stop motor. I would see him chasing plays on the side lines. That is very rare for these huge players. Usually they patrol a radius of about 8'.

Once Ellis learns to use his hands, and keep his pad level down to gain leverage I think he is going to be a great player at a position that is very hard to find. If he is active right now Dixon is n the bench. Dixon is productive now.

if you think they could have found a RT at that spot that would solve the Jets OL problems, I strongly doubt it. He would also be sitting on the bench.

IMO they made a great pick there, and are handling it the correct way

A lot of it had to do with value. The Jets had

This makes no sense... the JETS are still stuffing the run up the gut... if anything they need to find LB's with actual lateral speed and who can tackle when it isn't head on.

i love david harris.but to pay him like patick willis with half the speed? let me think about it

how can you cover up for westerman by putting in a rookie DT ? teams are just gonna run at westerman and throw at smith. ellis doesn't change that. is ellis your new crush bow that clemens is out of football ?

Haha no I just think he's got a bright future as a D linemen. Hopefully on our team and not the patriots.

Kenrick Ellis was considered "undraftable" by half the teams in this league because he's not a polished player and he could still be looking at major jail-time. Stupid freaking pick. Obviously. He can't make the roster over JAG Pouha. Can't even suit up. I love Sione, don't get me wrong, be he'd not a difference maker. he's all "hold-the-fort-make-a-good play" type guy. Not a world beater. Ellis is not beating him out. Or DeVito. Or Pitoitua. And none of these guys were all-pros. Hell, DeVito and Pito weren't even drafted. And none of them are looking at State-time for aggravated assault. !!!!TANNENBAUM!!!!

Kenrick Ellis was considered "undraftable" by half the teams in this league because he's not a polished player and he could still be looking at major jail-time. Stupid freaking pick. Obviously. He can't make the roster over JAG Pouha. Can't even suit up. I love Sione, don't get me wrong, be he'd not a difference maker. he's all "hold-the-fort-make-a-good play" type guy. Not a world beater. Ellis is not beating him out. Or DeVito. Or Pitoitua. And none of these guys were all-pros. Hell, DeVito and Pito weren't even drafted. And none of them are looking at State-time for aggravated assault. !!!!TANNENBAUM!!!!

This is just a tad over-reactive don't you think? Every single report I've read has stated the likelihood of Ellis getting convicted of anything is next to zero and the Jets have repeatedly said they looked deeply into the issue before even considering drafting him. The fact is that Pouha is a hell of a lot more than a JAG and yet the guy was god awful his first 3 or so years in the league after being a 3rd round pick by the Jets. He couldn't beat out James f'n Reed who was playing NT at like 150 lbs or some crap like that.

You can't teach the kind of size and strength Ellis has and sure the kid needs polish, but why the hell do you think he's inactive anyway? Not every single pick is going to hit the field and start tearing things up from day one. NT of all positions, especially 3-4 NT, is one of those in which you very rarely see younger players making big impacts and far more often than not is older, veteran players with the greatest success. There's only a dozen or so guys in the league who can even handle that position, which is exactly why teams take chances on guys like Ellis and Pouha in the first place, knowing they have the potential to eventually be groomed into that player. Ellis may or may not ever get there, but none of that has to do with jail time he'll never seen or the fact that he is inactive for the first 4 games of his NFL career.

I feel like some people never learn around here. Last year 90% of Jets fans were writing off Joe McKnight from the moment he puked in rookie camps and the guy has made as many big plays as anyone on the team this year despite extremely limited reps, and now here we are writing off a guy at a position that is a much less often immediate-impact position than RB and people already want to declare a 3rd round pick a bust 4 games in. It's absurd.

It's more than that. What the criticism amounts to, since no one gets a pass for picking a bust whether on the DL or the OL, isn't the failure to use the late 3rd-round pick on the OL. It's the failure to use that pick on the OL and find someone starter-worthy as a rookie. The Jets weren't going to draft a 3rd-string center there, so that one's out. At best it would have been an OT as you mentioned.

But that's a cop-out. If people are going to play the 20/20 hindsight game with respect to the draft, at least have the good sense to say which OT prospect should have been drafted at the bottom of round 3 instead of some phantom insta-starter prospect that didn't exist.

It is as credible of a criticism as saying the Jets should have drafted an insta-starter at OLB who can get to the passer 10x per year and stop the run like a DT. Everyone wants that, and if it was so simple to find one no one would find players like Ware to be anything special.

So which can't-pass-on OL prospect was such an obvious choice with the 30th pick in round 3? I'd love to hear this. Ellis would have been taken in the top half of round 2 at the latest if not for bar fight stuff. Show me an OT with those types of gifts who isn't a hit-or-miss crap shoot like Ducasse -- in other words, someone who would clearly have been useful this year after events that were totally unforeseen back in April.

Ellis was a solid pick. Pouha is not getting younger, is in the last year of his deal, and the Jets have no real NT behind him. Ellis has the luxury of being brought along slowly instead of starting him from day 1. He should be plenty ready by next year if Pouha's demands are too high and they cut bait with him.

Barring him being a total bust, of course, one could argue Ellis was a perfect pick to make at that spot.

You are on fire with things that you're completely wrong about and I Iove it!!! Fun to watch.

Pouha and DeVito have been graded out as 2 of the best DL players in the league and Ellis fell in the draft because of his leagal issues. Many people thought he was a late round 1st or early 2nd round pick.

It's more than that. What the criticism amounts to, since no one gets a pass for picking a bust whether on the DL or the OL, isn't the failure to use the late 3rd-round pick on the OL. It's the failure to use that pick on the OL and find someone starter-worthy as a rookie. The Jets weren't going to draft a 3rd-string center there, so that one's out. At best it would have been an OT as you mentioned.

But that's a cop-out. If people are going to play the 20/20 hindsight game with respect to the draft, at least have the good sense to say which OT prospect should have been drafted at the bottom of round 3 instead of some phantom insta-starter prospect that didn't exist.

It is as credible of a criticism as saying the Jets should have drafted an insta-starter at OLB who can get to the passer 10x per year and stop the run like a DT. Everyone wants that, and if it was so simple to find one no one would find players like Ware to be anything special.

So which can't-pass-on OL prospect was such an obvious choice with the 30th pick in round 3? I'd love to hear this. Ellis would have been taken in the top half of round 2 at the latest if not for bar fight stuff. Show me an OT with those types of gifts who isn't a hit-or-miss crap shoot like Ducasse -- in other words, someone who would clearly have been useful this year after events that were totally unforeseen back in April.

Ellis was a solid pick. Pouha is not getting younger, is in the last year of his deal, and the Jets have no real NT behind him. Ellis has the luxury of being brought along slowly instead of starting him from day 1. He should be plenty ready by next year if Pouha's demands are too high and they cut bait with him.

Barring him being a total bust, of course, one could argue Ellis was a perfect pick to make at that spot.

Great post...and I loved the pick. Mostly becaue I think he was a steal there but also because I'm all for the youth movement on the DL. We were starting fossils out there the past couple of seasons and it was painful to watch them shut down vs. the Steelers.

Ellis is a potential freakish player who, a few years from now, may be the anchor of our D-line. If so, hindsight will show the pick to be a steal. Loaded with physical potential, he has a lot to learn. It is a positive that we do not have to rely on him right now. I have no idea of how things go in practice, but if he is actually learning his craft he may be a factor late in the season when guys are more dinged up and worn out. It will be a while before we even get a preliminary NFL grade on this kid.

Ellis is a potential freakish player who, a few years from now, may be the anchor of our D-line. If so, hindsight will show the pick to be a steal. Loaded with physical potential, he has a lot to learn. It is a positive that we do not have to rely on him right now. I have no idea of how things go in practice, but if he is actually learning his craft he may be a factor late in the season when guys are more dinged up and worn out. It will be a while before we even get a preliminary NFL grade on this kid.

To find a freakish NT is a hell of a lot more difficult to find than an adequate RT. Particularly at the very bottom of round 3.

RT's can be found in any draft. A beast like Ellis is hopefully going to be, who is enormous and actually athletic and not just a fat blob, you maybe find one of them every couple of years. That's what makes a talent like Ngata or Jenkins or Wilfat or Hampton so valuable, and why great ones like Ted Washington can stick around the league for so long after their prime. It's why supreme talents like Shaun Rogers, someone who could have been a HOF'er, who never fully lived up to his potential, still get 2nd and 3rd chances and mammoth contracts. There just aren't enough of them to go around.

And most of them are hit-or-miss because of weight (Cody, Jenkins) if not because of attitude or perceived attitude (Ellis, Rogers). If you can get one of those without reaching too bad and blowing your whole draft, you get him. Which is what the Jets did.

James f'n Reed who was playing NT at like 150 lbs or some crap like that.

I watched this guy polish off an entire tray of wings at a draft party. The only reason he wasn't 300+ lbs was because he was maybe 5'10".

He was a Herm guy and followed him to KC, so there was only 1 year of overlap with him and Pouha, playing in Herm's brilliant Cover Who? defense.

You are on fire with things that you're completely wrong about and I Iove it!!! Fun to watch.

Pouha and DeVito have been graded out as 2 of the best DL players in the league and Ellis fell in the draft because of his leagal issues.

Actually I was right in the Holmes thread and three people who bashed me (one of whom invited me to eat a crow that he shat upon...complete with sound effects) were absolutely wrong as the thread bore out. I am also not wrong that many teams were scared off by Ellis' legal issues, substance abuse issues and the fact that he was thrown out of his first college. I am also not wrong that DeVito is a good, not great lineman that holds the fort, and even though he was an undrafted FA, he is active when Ellis is not. None of these things are debatable. The only debate is whether or not Sione is high-end JAG or exceptional at his position. If that means I'm on fire with things I'm wrong about well...then I guess you're right. Bottom line is Ellis, if he beats his Agg. assault charges and puts down the spliff, can be a helluva player. But I think he was a luxury pick after we just drafted Wilkerson, had DeVito, Sione, Pito, and others on the roster, and needed an OLB, OL, Safety and TE. I also think the Powell and McKnight picks were luxury picks that we honestly could have done without, None of those three have made the active roster either, which kind of proves that point, I think. Bottom line, my negative rants have had one common theme...I don't like Mike Tannenbaum and think he is incredibly overrated. Holmes was a bad decision, the recent drafts have had no impact and we are thin in critical areas. This is what has pissed me off more than anything.

To find a freakish NT is a hell of a lot more difficult to find than an adequate RT. Particularly at the very bottom of round 3.

RT's can be found in any draft. A beast like Ellis is hopefully going to be, who is enormous and actually athletic and not just a fat blob, you maybe find one of them every couple of years. That's what makes a talent like Ngata or Jenkins or Wilfat or Hampton so valuable, and why great ones like Ted Washington can stick around the league for so long after their prime. It's why supreme talents like Shaun Rogers, someone who could have been a HOF'er, who never fully lived up to his potential, still get 2nd and 3rd chances and mammoth contracts. There just aren't enough of them to go around.

And most of them are hit-or-miss because of weight (Cody, Jenkins) if not because of attitude or perceived attitude (Ellis, Rogers). If you can get one of those without reaching too bad and blowing your whole draft, you get him. Which is what the Jets did.

This is 100% correct. More and more teams are going to 3-4 D's These guys become more and more valuable. Ellis looks like he is going to be a good one. Needs to learn about pad level. Playing behind Pouha is excellent for him to learn.

A lot of these guys go very early in the draft. If we had passed on him and reached for some fat RT, 3 years from now I suspect we would be cursing Tanny "How could that dope have passed on Ellis for that fat waste?

Reaching for need is always a bad idea. Then again maybe he will be a bust, and some of you can bump this thread up in 3 years and say. "Gee look how smart I was" Win Win situation

I watched this guy polish off an entire tray of wings at a draft party. The only reason he wasn't 300+ lbs was because he was maybe 5'10".

He was a Herm guy and followed him to KC, so there was only 1 year of overlap with him and Pouha, playing in Herm's brilliant Cover Who? defense.

Right, but the point was that after being a decent enough situational/depth player Reed became a starter when Ferguson left and was absolutely awful. Whatever the reason for his lack of size was, he was simply too small to hold up as a NT and got tossed off the ball play after play. It's not that I actually think it was anything that really meant a damn, but the point being that Pouha turned out to be a pretty good player despite not being able to beat out a complete bum his rookie year (or Dwayne Robertson for another 2 years after that in the 3-4), yet some are trying to write off Ellis 4 games into his rookie year because he hasn't yet beat out Pouha? The whole concept is ridiculous.

Right, but the point was that after being a decent enough situational/depth player Reed became a starter when Ferguson left and was absolutely awful. Whatever the reason for his lack of size was, he was simply too small to hold up as a NT and got tossed off the ball play after play. It's not that I actually think it was anything that really meant a damn, but the point being that Pouha turned out to be a pretty good player despite not being able to beat out a complete bum his rookie year (or Dwayne Robertson for another 2 years after that in the 3-4), yet some are trying to write off Ellis 4 games into his rookie year because he hasn't yet beat out Pouha? The whole concept is ridiculous.

That whole concept would be rediculous...if it were true. I haven't seen anyone write off Ellis. The knock has been whether or not he was the value pick, or whether or not he was an unneeded luxury. The guy may turn out to be the next Warrent Sapp. Which would be awesome considering we took Kyle Brady over Sapp in 1995 (facepalm). Drafting two DL with the first two picks when you have plenty of other needs may have been a bit nearsighted. Ellis not cracking the active roster just adds a bit of fuel to the discussion.

Archived