Exposing The Real Problems, IMO

lancemehl

Right off the bad, I stand behind what I've said all year about Sanchez and about the NY fanbase. It is maddening how quickly they start burying someone...(Jeter's still spitting out dirt. lol). Personally, I still see a QB with all the goods, who has won the big game (four on the road) I'll keep quoting that stat because I want to see how many the great Matt Stafford ends up with in his whole career. Home or away .lol I still don't understand why a fan would turn on a QB they got with number six who has already won big and played big in spots and has comeback in big spots...BUT has been inconsistent....as has the entire team. His problem and everyone's problem (except Revis) is performance. So, with the Sanchez thing out of the way, let's discuss some of the REAL problems that have led us here to 2-3 (and remember we were 4-5 two years ago.)
First and foremost, and the most disturbing to me, are the signs that the locker room is starting to catch the fan's 'vibe'' They're starting to blame each other. This doesn't resemble the tight knit team from last year...and now this quick move to shuttle Mason out the door indicates more unrest. I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, but remember that Plaxico is eerily quiet, sitting over there with 13 catches in four games and our 'co-captain,' champagne guzzling on twitter, Santonio Holmes has already floated out some 'stuff'' that basically says, "It was them." That type of thing could spiral out of control.
I think a main reason for the 'unrest' is what maybe the biggest reason we are here, and if we must blame one person for this year, it would have to be the guy who has been the shining star, Mike Tannebaum. If you think about it, he had a terrible off-season. Coming off a year where they finally knocked out the bully to represent the division in the AFC championship game, and were carrying that bitter taste in their mouth from Pittsburgh, the mission was simple. Only he fell asleep before sealing the deal. In fact, he sabotaged it.
The team that Rex and Tanny had built was finally coming to a head. All signs pointed to this being the year. Two things had to happen: Sanchez had to take the next step, on the one side, and pass rush needed to improve, which it seemed was the only thing needed to put the 2011 Jets in the discussion with some of the greats. There were some smaller issues, but that was basically it.
As far as the pass rush, they did draft two DL, but one has yet to see the field. They got Maybin, hooray, but for all intents and purposes, they are fielding the EXACT same defense that has been masking their weakness by blitzing every five minutes, or else the pocket is eternal. You could say what you want about the draft or the lack of FAs available, but the bottom line is that in three years, that has not been taken care of. I think they owe Revis some more dough.
As far as the second part. That was money in the bank. Sanchez had steadily progressed from year one to year two. He was having fun with his receivers, doing the plane and sh*t. Santonio got his contract. Sanchise is holding his own mini-camp. Things looked great. Then, in a surprise move, Mr. Tannebaum decides that instead of giving this young QB more weapons, he trims them. He replaces Cotchery and Braylen with Mason and Plax. I know they are now hurt, but that means nothing. You could say it wouldn't of happened here. But who wouldn't take Cotchery back right now? But there was NO reason to do that.... at all. We see now that Mason got kicked out the door for something. That was a move that was uncalled for, you may even say he was "wagging the dog". That along with sending Brad Smith off, stunted the natural growth, the beautiful blossoming, of this team of this team. IMO
Then there's the OL. We shouldn't downplay the fact that Mangold missed those two games where we got devastated at the LOS, but that shows how weak we have become in an area where we dominated. I don't understand the drop off at full strength, though. Slauson has been solid and threw some nice blocks in the loss against the Pats. Hunter has been good at times. they should be able to run the ball more effectively. Greene had to work his a$$ off to bang out 80 yards. It's ugly, and Sanchez isn't gonna last anyway if he takes those kinds of beatings every week. Cleaning up the sloppy penalties might help. Whether that lands on the players or their coach Bill Callahan, who knows?
But since we are calling out the offensive coaches, then it may finally be time to REALLY examine Schottenheimer and his playcalling. I'm not saying he can't correct it, but we have been mixed up from the beginning. First, he wanted to "pass more" and get Sanchez going, and when that didn't work, is when everyone found out we can't run. Then they had to announce to the world that they were going to run, and still couldn't do it too well. They now have no idea what they are doing. I don't know if it's the new guy they hired to 'help out' or the chemistry that we touched on; I know not having Brad Smith doesn't help, and I know they better correct it fast.
Yes, things have gone south in a hurry here. It is definitely gut-check time. We need to take a deep breathe and do this whole thing over. Just remember that in 09 we were 3-0, then we were 4-5. Remember which rookie QB got us into the playoffs that year. lol I pray these dudes get it together or disappointed isnt the word.First the Yankees, now there's no basketball, dont do this to us, Green.
But could you imagine the positive energy that could be produced if the ebtire fan base got behind their players instead of against them. I'm not sure if a place like that exists. but it's pretty much a matter of modern science that that's true.(imagine a fan base "willing" a team to win. Dont think it could happen? lol)

I'll agree in regards to Sanchez. He's improving. Sanchez may only have a completion % of 56.1, and an overall QB rating of 80.4, but he's performed much better than his overall numbers. Especially when you consider the fact that he's worked with 3 WR's who weren't here last year, has quarterbacked behind awful offensive line play thus far, with a run game that's been next to nothing. Now, I understand that you can't erase the Ravens game, where he went 11/35, 0 TD's/1 INT and a QB rating of 30.5, but that game against the Ravens is what has destroyed his overall numbers. I can't blame Sanchez for our game against Baltimore either. Not even Joe Montana would have performed under those circumstances. Mangold was out, our run game was awful, we had a 3rd string rookie at center, our offensive line fell apart, and Sanchez had no time to throw the football. An all around offensive disaster. Outside of the Ravens game, overall, he's impressed. Outside of the Baltimore disaster, Sanchez has gone 86/138, 1052 yards, 8 TD's/5 INT's with QB ratings of 85.8, 88.7, 93.8 and 105.6. That's an average QB rating of 93.4 against the Cowboys, Jaguars, Raiders and Patriots. He's also improved his accuracy and completion % (outside of the Ravens). 59.1%, 70.8%, 61.4% and 61.5%. That's an average completion % of 63.2 against those 4 teams. So, outside of the Ravens games, he's had an average completion % and QB rating of 63.2% with a QB rating of 93.4. But yet, because of the Ravens game, where he stood no chance, his QB rating dropped to 80.4 and his completion % fell to 56.1. Say what you say about Sanchez during that Baltimore debacle, but it's obvious that he's improved this season, just as he improved during his sophmore season when compared to his rookie year. He's a developing franchise QB, and he's on the right track as a 3rd year quarterback.
As far as blaming Tanny, for a "bad offseason"? That's a joke.
The only players who we're currently missing as of right now, from last year, has to be Tony Richardson and Damien Woody by default, for the simple fact Hunter has been less than impressive. I hold high hopes for John Conner, but he's no Richardson. Not many are. We're talking about a future HOF lead blocker, one who's led the way for backs such as Marcus Allen, Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Adrian Peterson and even our very own such as Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene. After watching our team thus far through 5 weeks, Richardson is the player I miss most. I'm not willing to throw our front office under the bus though, because both players were aging. But I do believe that both Greene and Tomlinson miss having arguably the greatest run blocking FB of our generation. It's kind of hard to say that losing players such as Coleman, Ihedigbo and Lowery have hurt this team, considering the fact that we've been stout against the pass. Lowery is a player that I would have enjoyed at S in replace of Eric Smith, but then again, who's to say Lowery wouldn't become nothing more than a project-failure at safety... Shaun Ellis: 4 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 forced fumbles. He's done. Trevor Pryce: Has yet to find an NFL home thus far through 5 weeks. Cotchery: 0 receptions, 0 yards, 0 TD's. Even with future playing time in Pittsburgh, this is another Jet that'll always be a shell of what he once was as a Jet. We've seen the best of Cotchery, who's body is breaking down. Brad Smith: What happened to Chan Gailey turning Brad Smith into a Kordell Stewart type of slash? It's yet to happen. Smith has gone 0/1 as a QB. Has only rushed for 44 yards and 1 TD. Only two receptions for 25 yards. And last but not least, has been a non factor as a kick returner. Mike Westhoff was underrated in regards to Brad Smith's success here in NY. One of the most overrated Jets I've ever seen (especially during the offseason). Braylon Edwards: Has been hurt, and has only played in two games. 4 receptions for 48 yards and 0 TD's. I would have loved to have Edwards back, but he's never been worth the type of money that he's currently looking for. Vernon Gholston: It's looking as if Gholston can't find a home. Shocker. Jason Taylor: 4 games, has only recorded 3 tackles and 1 sack. At the old age of 37, he's done as well. Where am I going with this, lets just say that both Tannenbaum and Rex knew what they were doing in regards to our offseason plans. Pryce was done as a defensive end, and it's been more than obvious that Wilkerson is the truth. Big upgrade over Shaun Ellis thus far. Brad Smith has been replaced by Joe McKnight, and McKnight is having a much better season when compared to Brad. McKnight looks to be a Leon 2.0. Say what you say about both Cotchery and Edwards not being here, but Plaxico and Kerley have both put up better prodcution with the Jets, than those two have with their respected teams. Vernon Gholston has continued to bust and both Westerman and now Maybin have contributed more to the Jets, than what Taylor has for the Dolphins. If the Jets were the Steelers, the media would without question, praise the Jets for allowing these players to walk sooner, rather than later ala Jerome Bettis, Alan Faneca, Kimo von Oelhoffen etc.

I think to get back to the root of the REAL problem, you really have to go pretty far back. You see, it all started for me back in 1986. Everybody at the time were big Giants fans. I couldn't get away from it. As a 9 year old boy I really didn't know where to turn or what to do. All I wanted was for my Jets to be as good as the Giants, or even better than them. I began to sink into a dark seclusion, watching the Jets on tv by myself. Being the ridicule of most because my Dad only took me to Jets games because the tickets were dirt cheap. I remember the fans yelling to Al Toon that it would all get better once Walton was gone. But it didn't get better. It was like the future would be filled with one big Walton flicked booger after another. Carroll, Coslet, KOTITE, Groh, Edwards, Mangini.....

The list just goes on and on. Sure we had the occassion moment of hope, boogers like Parcells, Testaverde, Martin... They were the kind of boogers that you dig in for and when you pull them out slowly you feel like they're coming from your brain. God why do those feel so good? But I digress. Those of course were all blown away when the giant bloodclot booger known as Bellichek took of in the dark of night with 1 million of a dying man's money, leaving behind a snot scrawled note saying he resigned after one day. But I'm getting way ahead of myself.

Back in middle school I started to internalize my sadness as a Jets fan. People wondered if I was just shy, but the could not comprehend my darkness. I could see it among classmates too. Those lonely few who also walked around in solace, quietly carrying around the burden that they too were Jets fans. I began drinking in 89. As a 13 year old boy I had really had enough torture from Joe Walton and dove into whatever I could to sooth the pain. Vodka was my drink of choice. I lamented about how bad things were, but wondered to myself how bad it would have been if I could actually remember the pain of the mud bowl in MIA in 1982. Thios actually started to lighten me up a bit. I mean, I didn't have it that bad. I put the bottle down and started making friends, even girlfriends. I was successfully suppressing the darkness through the dismal Coslet years and really thought I had it under control. I made it through High School, actually a pretty popular guy. Off to college I went with wide eyes and a bright future.

But then, I just couldn't control myself when they traded for Rich Kotite. The anticipation, the hype...it just consumed me. Then we went and signed Neil O'Donnell! I was exstatic! I couldn't contain myself anymore. My Jets were front page news. They were even being considered AFC favorites. The world was upside down on its head!!! But the losses kept mounting. 2 losses, 4 losses, 8 losses, 13 losses!!!! It was as if a Joe Walton booger was flicked right into my face and could never be washed away. I turned back to the bottle. Secluded myself into that all too familiar dark place of mine. It was a dark year, but it had only just begun.

1996 was met with trepidation. This season could really do me in as a young man. Then the losses began...1, 2, 5, 7, 15 losses!! That's right. We only won one game that year. Vodka turned into heroin and crack cocaine and I was spiraling out of control trying to ease the pain of my darkness. These were sinister times in my life. I looked like Gollum, hiding from the sun and all people, just praying that my precious would turn things around and quiet the darkness.

Then I saw the light of hope! Mr Hess had decided that he was not going out without a fight and hire Bill Parcells. THE Bill Parcells! And he was gonna let him buy he groceries AND cook the dinner. It was like a beacon from God took the crackpipe out of my hands and said HALLELUJAH young man!!! I watched as they turned 1-15 quickly into 9-7. WOW, we almost even made the playoffs. Even though Barry Sanders shredded my hopes of a playoff season in the final game, 1998 was looking bright. Out goes Adrian Murrell and O'Donnell, in comes CMart and Testaverde. And boy did they not disappoint! All the way to an AFC championship game we went, even looking like we were going to beat the Broncos with a 2nd half 10-0 lead! But alas, reality set in and 23 unanswered points later all hope was dashed.

Going into 1999 my life was looking pretty bright. I was beginning a career in finance and the Jets were the favorites to win the SB. Then, as if a perfectly timed Joe Walton booger was flicked onto the ball, causing Curtis Martin to fumble and Vinny T to snap his achilles. The darkness was creeping back. Failing to keep a competent backup was coming back to haunt Mr Parcells, and much like he always had in the past, he was ditching before the walls came crumbling down. Bellichek followed one day after with his free million dollar ticket.

After a dismal, boring season under Al Groh, who also later ditched, the darkness was coming back. Even the hopes of being pumped up by one of the greatest press conference speakers in Herm Edwards were quickly dashed when it was apparent he had no idea how to coach a game. Even worse was the fact that we were burdened with the enigma known as Chad Pennington. Watching my fellow fans bicker over whether or not we could win with The Egg was growing tiresome. Hell, I even remember nyjunc vehemently defending Herman Edwards was a great coach and we'd be sorry when he's gone, though I think we later found out that he was Herm's wife. Back to drinking for me.

I moved on at this point from vodka to a Polish grain alcohol called Spirytus. I didn't want to turn back to the drugs, but needed something to get to the point. Herm Edwards calls an inexplicable timeout??? Spirytus. Herm's cover-who D lets' the opponent march down the field unchallenged? Spirytus. Herm has Chad pennington kneel the ball so his weak legged, struggling kicker can attempt a record breaking kick in Heinz field with it all on the line...SPIRYTUS!!!! No mixers, just shots.

Mangenius shortly followed, but it really was more of the same, only alot more boring. Tannenbaum tried to liven up the party a little in Mangini's final year by bringing Favre to the party, but it was really more of the same. Questionable coaching, questionable playing, and alot more Spirytus for me.

Enter Rex, with his bragadocia, his pedigree, his likeability, his solid track record. A young, firecracker for a QB and a whole lot of confidence eminating from the team and boom, we're right back to respectability. Hell, we're even starting to be considered the team to beat. Two championship games in a row, and it's like the darkness was almost completely gone! But alas a booger flicker becomes a toe licker, it's all the same. Cockiness from the coaches eminats to cockiness from the players, even cockiness from the GM with his new leather jacket and fancy FA pickups and suddenly confidence becomes complacency becomes stagnation, becomes an attitude of entitlement, becomes what we've always been for all these years, the Same Ol' Dark Friggin Jets. And that my friends is the REAL problem, for those of you that actually read this ridiculous diatribe.

War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy

First Epilogue

Seven years had passed. The storm-tossed sea of European history had subsided within its shores and seemed to have become calm. But the mysterious forces that move humanity (mysterious because the laws of their motion are unknown to us) continued to operate.

Though the surface of the sea of history seemed motionless, the movement of humanity went on as unceasingly as the flow of time. Various groups of people formed and dissolved, the coming formation and dissolution of kingdoms and displacement of peoples was in course of preparation.

The sea of history was not driven spasmodically from shore to shore as previously. It was seething in its depths. Historic figures were not borne by the waves from one shore to another as before. They now seemed to rotate on one spot. The historical figures at the head of armies, who formerly reflected the movement of the masses by ordering wars, campaigns, and battles, now reflected the restless movement by political and diplomatic combinations, laws, and treaties.

The historians call this activity of the historical figures "the reaction."

In dealing with this period they sternly condemn the historical personages who, in their opinion, caused what they describe as the reaction. All the well-known people of that period, from Alexander and Napoleon to Madame de Stael, Photius, Schelling, Fichte, Chateaubriand, and the rest, pass before their stern judgment seat and are acquitted or condemned according to whether they conduced to progress or to reaction.

According to their accounts a reaction took place at that time in Russia also, and the chief culprit was Alexander I, the same man who according to them was the chief cause of the liberal movement at the commencement of his reign, being the savior of Russia.

There is no one in Russian literature now, from schoolboy essayist to learned historian, who does not throw his little stone at Alexander for things he did wrong at this period of his reign.

"He ought to have acted in this way and in that way. In this case he did well and in that case badly. He behaved admirably at the beginning of his reign and during 1812, but acted badly by giving a constitution to Poland, forming the Holy Alliance, entrusting power to Arakcheev, favoring Golitsyn and mysticism, and afterwards Shishkov and Photius. He also acted badly by concerning himself with the active army and disbanding the Semenov regiment."

It would take a dozen pages to enumerate all the reproaches the historians address to him, based on their knowledge of what is good for humanity.

What do these reproaches mean?

Do not the very actions for which the historians praise Alexander I (the liberal attempts at the beginning of his reign, his struggle with Napoleon, the firmness he displayed in 1812 and the campaign of 1813) flow from the same sources- the circumstances of his birth, education, and life- that made his personality what it was and from which the actions for which they blame him (the Holy Alliance, the restoration of Poland, and the reaction of 1820 and later) also flowed?

In what does the substance of those reproaches lie?

It lies in the fact that an historic character like Alexander I, standing on the highest possible pinnacle of human power with the blinding light of history focused upon him; a character exposed to those strongest of all influences: the intrigues, flattery, and self-deception inseparable from power; a character who at every moment of his life felt a responsibility for all that was happening in Europe; and not a fictitious but a live character who like every man had his personal habits, passions, and impulses toward goodness, beauty, and truth- that this character- though not lacking in virtue (the historians do not accuse him of that)- had not the same conception of the welfare of humanity fifty years ago as a present-day professor who from his youth upwards has been occupied with learning: that is, with books and lectures and with taking notes from them.

But even if we assume that fifty years ago Alexander I was mistaken in his view of what was good for the people, we must inevitably assume that the historian who judges Alexander will also after the lapse of some time turn out to be mistaken in his view of what is good for humanity. This assumption is all the more natural and inevitable because, watching the movement of history, we see that every year and with each new writer, opinion as to what is good for mankind changes; so that what once seemed good, ten years later seems bad, and vice versa. And what is more, we find at one and the same time quite contradictory views as to what is bad and what is good in history: some people regard giving a constitution to Poland and forming the Holy Alliance as praiseworthy in Alexander, while others regard it as blameworthy.

The activity of Alexander or of Napoleon cannot be called useful or harmful, for it is impossible to say for what it was useful or harmful. If that activity displeases somebody, this is only because it does not agree with his limited understanding of what is good. Whether the preservation of my father's house in Moscow, or the glory of the Russian arms, or the prosperity of the Petersburg and other universities, or the freedom of Poland or the greatness of Russia, or the balance of power in Europe, or a certain kind of European culture called "progress" appear to me to be good or bad, I must admit that besides these things the action of every historic character has other more general purposes inaccessible to me.

But let us assume that what is called science can harmonize all contradictions and possesses an unchanging standard of good and bad by which to try historic characters and events; let us say that Alexander could have done everything differently; let us say that with guidance from those who blame him and who profess to know the ultimate aim of the movement of humanity, he might have arranged matters according to the program his present accusers would have given him- of nationality, freedom, equality, and progress (these, I think, cover the ground). Let us assume that this program was possible and had then been formulated, and that Alexander had acted on it. What would then have become of the activity of all those who opposed the tendency that then prevailed in the government- an activity that in the opinion of the historians was good and beneficent? Their activity would not have existed: there would have been no life, there would have been nothing.

If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, the possibility of life is destroyed.

When we sacrifice talent for leadership qualities, blame the Jets for doing so.

When we sacrifice leadership qualities for talent, blame the Jets for doing so.

We should only be signing and drafting great players with great leadership qualities. Why can't they see that's what they need to do. It's so obvious and they are so dumb.

Seems like we did pretty good on talent when we were putting a premium on drafting boy scouts.

I think to get back to the root of the REAL problem, you really have to go pretty far back. You see, it all started for me back in 1986. Everybody at the time were big Giants fans. I couldn't get away from it. As a 9 year old boy I really didn't know where to turn or what to do. All I wanted was for my Jets to be as good as the Giants, or even better than them. I began to sink into a dark seclusion, watching the Jets on tv by myself. Being the ridicule of most because my Dad only took me to Jets games because the tickets were dirt cheap. I remember the fans yelling to Al Toon that it would all get better once Walton was gone. But it didn't get better. It was like the future would be filled with one big Walton flicked booger after another. Carroll, Coslet, KOTITE, Groh, Edwards, Mangini.....

The list just goes on and on. Sure we had the occassion moment of hope, boogers like Parcells, Testaverde, Martin... They were the kind of boogers that you dig in for and when you pull them out slowly you feel like they're coming from your brain. God why do those feel so good? But I digress. Those of course were all blown away when the giant bloodclot booger known as Bellichek took of in the dark of night with 1 million of a dying man's money, leaving behind a snot scrawled note saying he resigned after one day. But I'm getting way ahead of myself.

Back in middle school I started to internalize my sadness as a Jets fan. People wondered if I was just shy, but the could not comprehend my darkness. I could see it among classmates too. Those lonely few who also walked around in solace, quietly carrying around the burden that they too were Jets fans. I began drinking in 89. As a 13 year old boy I had really had enough torture from Joe Walton and dove into whatever I could to sooth the pain. Vodka was my drink of choice. I lamented about how bad things were, but wondered to myself how bad it would have been if I could actually remember the pain of the mud bowl in MIA in 1982. Thios actually started to lighten me up a bit. I mean, I didn't have it that bad. I put the bottle down and started making friends, even girlfriends. I was successfully suppressing the darkness through the dismal Coslet years and really thought I had it under control. I made it through High School, actually a pretty popular guy. Off to college I went with wide eyes and a bright future.

But then, I just couldn't control myself when they traded for Rich Kotite. The anticipation, the hype...it just consumed me. Then we went and signed Neil O'Donnell! I was exstatic! I couldn't contain myself anymore. My Jets were front page news. They were even being considered AFC favorites. The world was upside down on its head!!! But the losses kept mounting. 2 losses, 4 losses, 8 losses, 13 losses!!!! It was as if a Joe Walton booger was flicked right into my face and could never be washed away. I turned back to the bottle. Secluded myself into that all too familiar dark place of mine. It was a dark year, but it had only just begun.

1996 was met with trepidation. This season could really do me in as a young man. Then the losses began...1, 2, 5, 7, 15 losses!! That's right. We only won one game that year. Vodka turned into heroin and crack cocaine and I was spiraling out of control trying to ease the pain of my darkness. These were sinister times in my life. I looked like Gollum, hiding from the sun and all people, just praying that my precious would turn things around and quiet the darkness.

Then I saw the light of hope! Mr Hess had decided that he was not going out without a fight and hire Bill Parcells. THE Bill Parcells! And he was gonna let him buy he groceries AND cook the dinner. It was like a beacon from God took the crackpipe out of my hands and said HALLELUJAH young man!!! I watched as they turned 1-15 quickly into 9-7. WOW, we almost even made the playoffs. Even though Barry Sanders shredded my hopes of a playoff season in the final game, 1998 was looking bright. Out goes Adrian Murrell and O'Donnell, in comes CMart and Testaverde. And boy did they not disappoint! All the way to an AFC championship game we went, even looking like we were going to beat the Broncos with a 2nd half 10-0 lead! But alas, reality set in and 23 unanswered points later all hope was dashed.

Going into 1999 my life was looking pretty bright. I was beginning a career in finance and the Jets were the favorites to win the SB. Then, as if a perfectly timed Joe Walton booger was flicked onto the ball, causing Curtis Martin to fumble and Vinny T to snap his achilles. The darkness was creeping back. Failing to keep a competent backup was coming back to haunt Mr Parcells, and much like he always had in the past, he was ditching before the walls came crumbling down. Bellichek followed one day after with his free million dollar ticket.

After a dismal, boring season under Al Groh, who also later ditched, the darkness was coming back. Even the hopes of being pumped up by one of the greatest press conference speakers in Herm Edwards were quickly dashed when it was apparent he had no idea how to coach a game. Even worse was the fact that we were burdened with the enigma known as Chad Pennington. Watching my fellow fans bicker over whether or not we could win with The Egg was growing tiresome. Hell, I even remember nyjunc vehemently defending Herman Edwards was a great coach and we'd be sorry when he's gone, though I think we later found out that he was Herm's wife. Back to drinking for me.

I moved on at this point from vodka to a Polish grain alcohol called Spirytus. I didn't want to turn back to the drugs, but needed something to get to the point. Herm Edwards calls an inexplicable timeout??? Spirytus. Herm's cover-who D lets' the opponent march down the field unchallenged? Spirytus. Herm has Chad pennington kneel the ball so his weak legged, struggling kicker can attempt a record breaking kick in Heinz field with it all on the line...SPIRYTUS!!!! No mixers, just shots.

Mangenius shortly followed, but it really was more of the same, only alot more boring. Tannenbaum tried to liven up the party a little in Mangini's final year by bringing Favre to the party, but it was really more of the same. Questionable coaching, questionable playing, and alot more Spirytus for me.

Enter Rex, with his bragadocia, his pedigree, his likeability, his solid track record. A young, firecracker for a QB and a whole lot of confidence eminating from the team and boom, we're right back to respectability. Hell, we're even starting to be considered the team to beat. Two championship games in a row, and it's like the darkness was almost completely gone! But alas a booger flicker becomes a toe licker, it's all the same. Cockiness from the coaches eminats to cockiness from the players, even cockiness from the GM with his new leather jacket and fancy FA pickups and suddenly confidence becomes complacency becomes stagnation, becomes an attitude of entitlement, becomes what we've always been for all these years, the Same Ol' Dark Friggin Jets. And that my friends is the REAL problem, for those of you that actually read this ridiculous diatribe.

What's with the paragraphs?

BG

Your on deck

Alright fine, if you insist... well here it goes.

You want to know what the real problem with this team? That there's no "real problem". This isn't a question with a simple answer, it's a multitude of issues that all combine together and unfortunately many of which came to a head at the same moment. Some have been issues that the Jets have been plagued with for years that other parts of the team were good enough to come, while others are new issues that nobody saw coming and yet others were issues that should have been seen coming, but weren't and so were not properly addressed. Some of these issues can be handled while things are rolling over the course of the season, while others can't be addressed until the offseason comes. The real question is whether enough of these issues fall into the former category in order for the Jets to get things turned around this season and go on a run, with a minimum record of 8-3 to finish off the season, at the very worst (most likely would need to shoot for at least 9-2).

Schotty is a problem and has been a problem for years. The Jets have had a dominant OL and thus a very successful running game for years that were enough to offset that just enough for years. The offense was still an issue, but when you can perform the most simple of tasks as successfully as the Jets could, it wasn't enough to completely hold them back. Now all of a sudden the Jets no longer have the league's best OL, and it all catches up with them. Combine that with the fact that the QB position continues to be an issue, as it has been for the vast majority of this team's existance and you have some serious problems. Meanwhile on defense, the aura is starting to fade and some of the same tricks don't work quite as well as they used to. The team has also allowed itself to be convinced at too many positions that Rex and Pettine's abilities are enough to overcome insufficient talent. The LBs are slow and Eric Smith is a complete f'n disaster. The guy has been horrible for the vast majority of his 6 years in the NFL, but after a few solid games playing in place of Jim Leonhard, the Jets convinced themselves he was ready to start. The fact that they have Pool sitting on the bench behind him after he far outplayed him throughout the majority of last year asks the question of to which degree the defense staff's stubborness is getting the best of them.

So the real question is... are you still actually reading this rambling mess? I bet most of you aren't. If you are, the question is why? Frankly, I couldn't be bothered to read most of the diatribes in this thread, and as we all know, I am one long-winded son of a bitch, so I can't imagine anyone else around here did. After all of those, are any of you really going to put up with another of these. If so, perhaps it's time you reevaluate your life, because clearly you've just got way too much free time on your hands. Either that, or you really just have nothing to do during your work day. Trust me, I get that one, but there's still got to be better things to do out there than reading these long, drawn out windbags (present company included).

Anyway, I digress... the bottom line is there's no single problem meaning there's no single solution. Just like every NFL team there's going to need to be adjustments made every single year, and you just hope to find as many of them as possible in advance and beat it to the punch. This offseason the Jets tried to do just that with moves like Wilkerson over Ellis and letting Conner take over for Richardson, and even now with moving Mason and handing the slot WR role to Kerley. The flip side is that every now and then it can come back to bite you, like when you hedge your bets on your RT by having a solid backup who played well in relief last year stay on to compete with your second round pick from last year, and you realize it's become a competition of bad vs worse. Things like this are going to happen to every single team, the key is for the other players and coaches to be able to do what they need to in order to make up for this. The real problem is that the defense has shown they have the ability to do this and I have confidence that they will once again, but the offense for 6 years has shown no ability to adjust and there's no reason to believe that will change any time soon. Are all of these problems Schotty's fault? No, but unlike his defensive counterparts, he's clearly shown he's incapable of working around those issues, and that's never going to change. You can't expect your team to always been in a completely perfect situation and when they're not, that's when the coaches are expected to earn their money. Tanny's got plenty of work to do in the offseason, but in the meantime Rex and Co need to make it work with what they've got.

Still reading? Why? Seriously... just stop. Well either way, it's about time for me to wrap this up, because despite my best efforts even I have no idea what the hell to say anymore. But these days all of these clowns are coming around here thinking they can take on the role of the long-winded SOB who's posts nobody can get through. Well it's time they get put back into their place, because I'm not ready to relinquish anything yet. Although at this point I should probably get back to work... or something. Thanks for playing the game kids and don't forget to collect your parting gifts. Catch you on the flip side.

<3,

the original Mr. TL;DR.

When we sacrifice talent for leadership qualities, blame the Jets for doing so.

When we sacrifice leadership qualities for talent, blame the Jets for doing so.

We should only be signing and drafting great players with great leadership qualities. Why can't they see that's what they need to do. It's so obvious and they are so dumb.

That's not a fair rebuttal. I'm not only looking for leaders. I'm looking for more soldiers. Mangini did well to bring in talent in the few drafts in which he was involved. In addition to hits such as Revis and Ferguson (I hated the Ferguson pick), he drafted guys that fit in as pieces - Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Eric Smith. I thought he was a crappy coach - as evidenced by the fact that so many guys have played so much better under Rex than they did under Mangini. But that's for another thread.

I have no issue with the Jets drafts, even after Mangini; its the lack of picks that I lament. The mercinary thing doesn't work in the NFL. And its no coincidence to me that the Jets' most mercinary laden unit, the WRs, is the one that seems to be stirring the pot.

I agree 100%. The guy has gathered the most talent on any Jets team I've ever seen. And he's done it by not being afraid to make mistake. Thats what good GM's do. You have to take chances occasionally. His have been calculated and by in large, worked out. Dont get the hate at all. Not even for this offseason, even with hindsight. He had a ton of FA's to resign, got the core in and added some low costing high reward FA's. The OL looked like a strength going into the season. And I dont really think his drafts have been bad. He's had 1 horrible pick and we'll see with Sanchez (doenst look good) but all the others have been pretty good IMO.

yep, i mean, have you seen them play? It's clear how talented we are

I'll agree in regards to Sanchez. He's improving. Sanchez may only have a completion % of 56.1, and an overall QB rating of 80.4, but he's performed much better than his overall numbers. Especially when you consider the fact that he's worked with 3 WR's who weren't here last year, has quarterbacked behind awful offensive line play thus far, with a run game that's been next to nothing. Now, I understand that you can't erase the Ravens game, where he went 11/35, 0 TD's/1 INT and a QB rating of 30.5, but that game against the Ravens is what has destroyed his overall numbers. I can't blame Sanchez for our game against Baltimore either. Not even Joe Montana would have performed under those circumstances. Mangold was out, our run game was awful, we had a 3rd string rookie at center, our offensive line fell apart, and Sanchez had no time to throw the football. An all around offensive disaster.

Outside of the Ravens game, overall, he's impressed. Outside of the Baltimore disaster, Sanchez has gone 86/138, 1052 yards, 8 TD's/5 INT's with QB ratings of 85.8, 88.7, 93.8 and 105.6. That's an average QB rating of 93.4 against the Cowboys, Jaguars, Raiders and Patriots. He's also improved his accuracy and completion % (outside of the Ravens). 59.1%, 70.8%, 61.4% and 61.5%. That's an average completion % of 63.2 against those 4 teams. So, outside of the Ravens games, he's had an average completion % and QB rating of 63.2% with a QB rating of 93.4. But yet, because of the Ravens game, where he stood no chance, his QB rating dropped to 80.4 and his completion % fell to 56.1. Say what you say about Sanchez during that Baltimore debacle, but it's obvious that he's improved this season, just as he improved during his sophmore season when compared to his rookie year. He's a developing franchise QB, and he's on the right track as a 3rd year quarterback.

In 36 games, Sanchez has 37 tds, 38 ints and a 54.7 completion percentage. Horrible.

Sanchez is partially to blame for the Ravens game too. Ed Reed was on the LOS coming on a Safety blitz first Jets play from scrimmage and Sanchez never looked in his direction. I thought Sanchez was looking him off because he was throwing in that direction. Inexcusable to not know where a HOF Saftey is while youre standing almost in your own end zone.

In 36 games, Sanchez has 37 tds, 38 ints and a 54.7 completion percentage. Horrible.

Sanchez is partially to blame for the Ravens game too. Ed Reed was on the LOS coming on a Safety blitz first Jets play from scrimmage and Sanchez never looked in his direction. I thought Sanchez was looking him off because he was throwing in that direction. Inexcusable to not know where a HOF Saftey is while youre standing almost in your own end zone.

tl;dr

You want to know what the real problem with this team? That there's no "real problem". This isn't a question with a simple answer, it's a multitude of issues that all combine together and unfortunately many of which came to a head at the same moment. Some have been issues that the Jets have been plagued with for years that other parts of the team were good enough to come, while others are new issues that nobody saw coming and yet others were issues that should have been seen coming, but weren't and so were not properly addressed. Some of these issues can be handled while things are rolling over the course of the season, while others can't be addressed until the offseason comes. The real question is whether enough of these issues fall into the former category in order for the Jets to get things turned around this season and go on a run, with a minimum record of 8-3 to finish off the season, at the very worst (most likely would need to shoot for at least 9-2).

Schotty is a problem and has been a problem for years. The Jets have had a dominant OL and thus a very successful running game for years that were enough to offset that just enough for years. The offense was still an issue, but when you can perform the most simple of tasks as successfully as the Jets could, it wasn't enough to completely hold them back. Now all of a sudden the Jets no longer have the league's best OL, and it all catches up with them. Combine that with the fact that the QB position continues to be an issue, as it has been for the vast majority of this team's existance and you have some serious problems. Meanwhile on defense, the aura is starting to fade and some of the same tricks don't work quite as well as they used to. The team has also allowed itself to be convinced at too many positions that Rex and Pettine's abilities are enough to overcome insufficient talent. The LBs are slow and Eric Smith is a complete f'n disaster. The guy has been horrible for the vast majority of his 6 years in the NFL, but after a few solid games playing in place of Jim Leonhard, the Jets convinced themselves he was ready to start. The fact that they have Pool sitting on the bench behind him after he far outplayed him throughout the majority of last year asks the question of to which degree the defense staff's stubborness is getting the best of them.

So the real question is... are you still actually reading this rambling mess? I bet most of you aren't. If you are, the question is why? Frankly, I couldn't be bothered to read most of the diatribes in this thread, and as we all know, I am one long-winded son of a bitch, so I can't imagine anyone else around here did. After all of those, are any of you really going to put up with another of these. If so, perhaps it's time you reevaluate your life, because clearly you've just got way too much free time on your hands. Either that, or you really just have nothing to do during your work day. Trust me, I get that one, but there's still got to be better things to do out there than reading these long, drawn out windbags (present company included).

Anyway, I digress... the bottom line is there's no single problem meaning there's no single solution. Just like every NFL team there's going to need to be adjustments made every single year, and you just hope to find as many of them as possible in advance and beat it to the punch. This offseason the Jets tried to do just that with moves like Wilkerson over Ellis and letting Conner take over for Richardson, and even now with moving Mason and handing the slot WR role to Kerley. The flip side is that every now and then it can come back to bite you, like when you hedge your bets on your RT by having a solid backup who played well in relief last year stay on to compete with your second round pick from last year, and you realize it's become a competition of bad vs worse. Things like this are going to happen to every single team, the key is for the other players and coaches to be able to do what they need to in order to make up for this. The real problem is that the defense has shown they have the ability to do this and I have confidence that they will once again, but the offense for 6 years has shown no ability to adjust and there's no reason to believe that will change any time soon. Are all of these problems Schotty's fault? No, but unlike his defensive counterparts, he's clearly shown he's incapable of working around those issues, and that's never going to change. You can't expect your team to always been in a completely perfect situation and when they're not, that's when the coaches are expected to earn their money. Tanny's got plenty of work to do in the offseason, but in the meantime Rex and Co need to make it work with what they've got.

Still reading? Why? Seriously... just stop. Well either way, it's about time for me to wrap this up, because despite my best efforts even I have no idea what the hell to say anymore. But these days all of these clowns are coming around here thinking they can take on the role of the long-winded SOB who's posts nobody can get through. Well it's time they get put back into their place, because I'm not ready to relinquish anything yet. Although at this point I should probably get back to work... or something. Thanks for playing the game kids and don't forget to collect your parting gifts. Catch you on the flip side.

<3,

the original Mr. TL;DR.

That's all you've got? You were given free reign to write as much as you want, in fact ENCOURAGED to do so, and this is what you produce? A measly 5,000 characters?

son%20i%20am%20disappoint.jpg

That's all you've got? You were given free reign to write as much as you want, in fact ENCOURAGED to do so, and this is what you produce? A measly 5,000 characters?

son%20i%20am%20disappoint.jpg

Yeah, I was bit disappointed when I posted it that it wasn't quite as long as I had hoped. Although consider for a moment, that was without actually even really having anything to say. I started typing that post not having a clue what it was going to be about and just making sh*t up along the way. Imagine if I actually had something I wanted to talk about.

Why aren't you mentioning the playoffs? Where he's performed lights out. Make that 46 career TD's/41 INT's.

Also, don't cut off the numbers of Sanchez after week 17, all because Brady and the Patriots have failed to win a single playoff game since dating back to 2007. Sanchez and the Jets have won 4 since 2009, all on the road. You all can't even win a home playoff game.

Why aren't you mentioning the playoffs? Where he's performed lights out. Make that 46 career TD's/41 INT's.

Also, don't cut off the numbers of Sanchez after week 17, all because Brady and the Patriots have failed to win a single playoff game since dating back to 2007. Sanchez and the Jets have won 4 since 2009, all on the road. You all can't even win a home playoff game.

In Sanchez's 6 playoff games, the Jets have scored 20 points or more twice.

I can buy that for the fans who didnt go ga-ga over him the first few years here was here. I never thought he did a bad job by any means but I never understood the faction that said he was the best GM or among the best GMs in the NFL.The team went to 1 playoff game in 3 years. Pretty much 70% of the NFL does that. Even 1 trip to the AFC Championship game just put the Jets on par with more or less half the NFL for a 4-5 year run. Revis was a fantastic pick, but to grab a good left tackle at the top of the draft and a great center in the first round isnt rocket science. Almost everyone picked in those positions turn into all stars. Its no different than all the people that had this man-crush on Mangini until the Jets crashed in late December. The writing was on the wall in 2007 and parts of 2008 about how much of a disaster he was as a coach. The 2008 implosion was no different than his entire body of work, they just happened to come all in a row to make it more blatant.

But I cant see how anyone that said Tanny was the best in the NFL from 2006-2008 can now turn on him for drafting Sanchez. If he was great with Chad, Clemens, and Favre those same people should be erecting a statue for him for the last two years with Rex and Mark. I think thats the part I just cant wrap my head around.

You know Jets fans--they're fickle to the point of schizophrenia.

I've always been a Tannenbaum critic. I didn't like that they gave the job to Bradway's CPA in the first place, and I was particularly galled when he survived firing his hand-picked buddy/coach Mangini. Naturally, he shut me up the last two years.

Yeah, except that creates an entirely new problem. Tannenbaum predates Rex and he still got on board with drafting Sanchez essentially on the basis that he was, like, totally the most popular guy in the whole 7th grade. Why should we expect better results from someone whose power is undermined before he even sets foot in the building?

I often wonder what Rex's new-hire orientation sounded like. "Haha, oh, by the way--Brian Schottenheimer stays. Oh! Oh! Oh yeah! Bob Sutton, too. Haha! Sh*t, almost forgot, Westhoff stays, too. Lots of cash left in those contracts. Ok, soooooo, you good with that, Rex? Yes? Haha, great! See you tomor...oh, damn. One more thing. We're gonna be drafting Mark Sanchez outta USC. Gonna look great on the program. Super-progressive. Alright? Ciao!"

I often wonder what Rex's new-hire orientation sounded like. "Haha, oh, by the way--Brian Schottenheimer stays. Oh! Oh! Oh yeah! Bob Sutton, too. Haha! Sh*t, almost forgot, Westhoff stays, too. Lots of cash left in those contracts. Ok, soooooo, you good with that, Rex? Yes? Haha, great! See you tomor...oh, damn. One more thing. We're gonna be drafting Mark Sanchez outta USC. Gonna look great on the program. Super-progressive. Alright? Ciao!"

See, I don't think Sanchez was forced on Rex. That's part of the problem.

<3,

the original Mr. TL;DR.

good post. A lot of good posts.......wait a minute, I get it! You're saying the OP was too long. lol I agree for some reason the damn thing wouldn't space the paragraphs so I gave up after three tries.The REAL problem, however, appears to be our educational system....lol...in this age of emoticons.

BTW, for those who didn't go directly into 'funny response' mode and skimmed it, coming away with the premise that it is the fans fault (because it was in the first two sentences lol), just look at this forum and you'll see a microcosm of the team (or is it vice-versa). Nothing but in-fighting and negativity. Nobody here thought this team was any good going into it and neither did they, apparently. We all forgot about the GOOD things they did for the past two years, and so did they. Maybe we need Phil Jackson around.

And for those who are defending Tanny. lol When did we start giving out lifetime achievement awards. Yeah, we had a standard three-year plan for Rex. (I'm sure I've heard that)Years one and two were outstanding and year three he tanked. Period. So, if we judge GMs differently that other personnel, I didnt know that. But I see an off-season (which is his 'season') that would get many guys cut in the blink of an eye:

--That Plax deal looks like something they had set up a while ago. Basically that Edwards/Smith/Coth = Mason/Plax move made absolutely no sense, financially or performance wise. He totally dismissed the idea of chemistry. We were heading into this season full steam, needing 2 things only: Pass rush and an unlimited QB. We did a very poor job of #1 thus far, and I say that because we STILL CAN NOT CLOSE THE POCKET. One of the two draft picks has yet to see the field. The other one has not exactly had a Jevon Kearse type freshman year. On the FA tip, we lost our most solid DLineman and we traded our draft bust for Buffalo's draft bust........and nothing else! The defense is identical.

The entire offseason was about getting a 'big time' CB. Was that our mission?? Are we the cowboys now, just drafting a bunch of primadonnas to sell jerseys.

There is no denying the fact that we got worse as a team before the season started. AND it stings extra because we were right f---ing there! I'm not talking about Taking the next step from 8-8 to a wild card. I'm talking about the f---ing super bowl. From Tanny, I would have to say sh*t rolls downhill, but this damn season was ominous from the start.

All Im saying is I wish it wasn't Miami we were playing. I wish it were a big test, all or nothing game that would leave no question marks but, we'll see. There are still more parts to this season (hopefully)

Archived