Revis Named Defensive Player of the Week

flgreen

Revis Named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

Posted by Randy Lange on October 19, 2011 – 11:10 am

A crowning touch to Darrelle Revis’ outstanding effort against Miami on Monday night is the announcement this morning that Revis has been named the AFC’s Defensive Player of the Week.

Revis’ 100-yard interception-return touchdown with 5:52 left in the first quarter gave the Jets a 7-3 lead that they never lost en route to their 24-6 triumph over the Dolphins, their AFC East rivals whom they hadn’t beaten at home since 2007.

The return was the longest INT-return TD in a home game in Jets franchise history. It also was the eighth play of 100 yards or longer in franchise history and equaled the longest INT-return TD in team annals, Aaron Glenn’s 100-yard return of a Dan Marino pass at Miami in 1996. Coincidentally, Glenn was at MetLife Stadium on Monday night to see his record matched.

In the fourth quarter Revis added a second interception of Matt Moore and on the night in his “heavyweight battle” with WR Brandon Marshall, he had four pass defenses, his first four-PD game since 2009.

This is Revis’ second Player of the Week award. His first came after the 2009 Week 12 victory over Carolina, when he posted the second INT-return TD and the second two-pick game of his career in the 17-6 win over the Panthers. He also was named the December/January AFC Player of the Month later that season.

We’ll have some comments from Darrelle from the Jets’ locker room a little later today on this blog.

It's only pass interference when mediocre players do it. When Revis does it it's aggressive play. Good to be the KING. Plus not sure what he could do when Marshal just put his head down and ran into him.

Yep

Looks like Revis has hit Jordan status. That's a good thing.

Besides your right. Revis had position, and Marshall ran right into him. Would have been called on Cro, but Cro's not Revis

Yep

Looks like Revis has hit Jordan status. That's a good thing.

Besides your right. Revis had position, and Marshall ran right into him. Would have been called on Cro, but Cro's not Revis

I have been using that example for a bit now when watching with friends who always ask me why Cro gets flagged but not Revis... lol

I did not watch all the games this weekend. But it sure must have been a bad week for defenses and defensive players.

Revis performance on Monday night was not Defensive Player Of the Week worthy.

It was decent and probably not the best game Revis has had this year. He did get beat on some plays and allowed completions. And the interception was Moore essentially throwing to Revis for a completion. If Revis hadn't caught it, the ball would have it the numbers.

I did not watch all the games this weekend. But it sure must have been a bad week for defenses and defensive players.

It was decent and probably not the best game Revis has had this year. He did get beat on some plays and allowed completions. And the interception was Moore essentially throwing to Revis for a completion. If Revis hadn't caught it, the ball would have it the numbers.

It was one of his worst performances since 07'......and he still got two picks rofl

What the hell are you talking about? 2 INTs (one returned 100 yards for a TD) and 4 passes defensed on the night. That's a hell of a performance, and it was pretty clear before it was announced Revis was going to get the award. What, just because Marshall managed to actually get a catch or two against him because Moore was stupid enough to keep throwing that way it suddenly is a bad performance? Give me a break. It's like what's happening in the games you're watching is the exact opposite of what's happening in the ones the rest of us are watching.

Revis has became MJ23 of the CB position. The greatest of all time. That wasn't a PI either, it's not #24's fault that Brandon Marshall stumbled, tripped and damn near drove his entire body into the chest of Revis. That's what happens when you try and play like a Monster, you lose self control. He tried to hard, and his feet couldn't keep up with his brain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3SiqOgBGMQ

This would be a good post if today was Opposite Day.

But today isn't Opposite Day.

He must have thought it was White Boy Day. It ain't White Boy Day, is it?

No thanks? What does that mean? Means you ate before you came down here? All full. Is that it? Naw, I don't think so. I think you're too scared to be eatin'. Now, see we're sittin' down here, ready to negotiate, and you've already given up your sh*t. I'm still a mystery to you. But I know exactly where your white a$$ is comin' from. See, if I asked you if you wanted some dinner and you grabbed an egg roll and started to chow down, I'd say to myself, "This mother****er's carryin' on like he ain't got a care in the world. Who know? Maybe he don't. Maybe this fool's such a bad mother****er, he don't got to worry about nothin', he just sit down, eat my Chinese, watch my TV." See? You ain't even sat down yet. On that TV there, since you been in the room, is a woman with her breasteses hangin' out, and you ain't even bothered to look. You just been clockin' me. Now, I know I'm pretty, but I ain't as pretty as a couple of titties.

No thanks? What does that mean? Means you ate before you came down here? All full. Is that it? Naw, I don't think so. I think you're too scared to be eatin'. Now, see we're sittin' down here, ready to negotiate, and you've already given up your sh*t. I'm still a mystery to you. But I know exactly where your white a$$ is comin' from. See, if I asked you if you wanted some dinner and you grabbed an egg roll and started to chow down, I'd say to myself, "This mother****er's carryin' on like he ain't got a care in the world. Who know? Maybe he don't. Maybe this fool's such a bad mother****er, he don't got to worry about nothin', he just sit down, eat my Chinese, watch my TV." See? You ain't even sat down yet. On that TV there, since you been in the room, is a woman with her breasteses hangin' out, and you ain't even bothered to look. You just been clockin' me. Now, I know I'm pretty, but I ain't as pretty as a couple of titties.

I always thought this was one of Tarantino's better dialogues. It's tough to out-badass Drexl Spivey, but handing him an empty envelope while coolly rattling of the principal cast of The Mack will do it.

It's only pass interference when mediocre players do it. When Revis does it it's aggressive play. Good to be the KING. Plus not sure what he could do when Marshal just put his head down and ran into him.

Gruden was ticked off with the non-call. If anything it could have been illegal contact but even that was a stretch. On the flip side Simms, during the Pats/Jets game, was marveling at how Revis "covered " Welker while the replays clearly showed Revis holding Welker.

Bottom Line: Revis is awesome and NFL commentators are idiots.

He must have thought it was White Boy Day. It ain't White Boy Day, is it?

Awesome. I've been having his agrument for years. Whats the better scene?

Oldman vs Slater or Hopper vs. Walken?

Awesome. I've been having his agrument for years. Whats the better scene?

Oldman vs Slater or Hopper vs. Walken?

That's a great one. I think anyone who knows me knows I think Walken is God and that may be my favorite scene with him ever because of the laugh alone, but Oldman really is the man and that particular part is him at his best. Very small handful of actors in history that could have pulled that part off without looking like a complete joke. Oldman might actually get the edge slightly just because of the way he says breasteses, BUT Hopper's eggplant line is equally brilliant.

That's a great one. I think anyone who knows me knows I think Walken is God and that may be my favorite scene with him ever because of the laugh alone, but Oldman really is the man and that particular part is him at his best. Very small handful of actors in history that could have pulled that part off without looking like a complete joke. Oldman might actually get the edge slightly just because of the way he says breasteses, BUT Hopper's eggplant line is equally brilliant.

My mothers a 2nd generation Sicilian, so the first time I saw that scene I was like...**** that Hopper, lol. Oldman is one of my favorite all time Actors...the guy is just awesome. I always give edge to Hopper vs. Walken. Two heavy weights in one of the most classic moments in movie history.

What the hell are you talking about? 2 INTs (one returned 100 yards for a TD) and 4 passes defensed on the night. That's a hell of a performance, and it was pretty clear before it was announced Revis was going to get the award. What, just because Marshall managed to actually get a catch or two against him because Moore was stupid enough to keep throwing that way it suddenly is a bad performance? Give me a break. It's like what's happening in the games you're watching is the exact opposite of what's happening in the ones the rest of us are watching.

Its not the first time that i have defied "conventional" wisdom or not participated in the mass koolaid drinkoff. And definitely not the last.

The last time we were on opposite ends you were touting the signing of two 30+ WRs. And now even you are against signing a 30+ yr old WR.

As i said Revis's performance was decent. But i have seen him do better. This was not a shutout performance and certainly not DPOTW worthy.

It's the eggplant line and the Walken laugh and kiss that put it over the top. Not to mention his finish:

"I haven't killed anybody since 1984. Goddamn his soul to burn for eternity in ******* hell for making me get my hands dirty. Go over to this comedian's son's apartment, come back with something that tells me where that a$$hole went, so I can wipe this egg off my face and finish this ****ed-up family for good."

Archived