Jets Sign TE Shawn Nelson

SoFlaJets

I sweat Hess-I think Matthew Mulligan is my LEAST favorite Jet, you know, one that plays. OK, Vlad Ducasse is right up there with him. Now THAT guy shouldn't even BE dressed every week and wouldn't be if the Jets weren't so weird about protecting their crappy draftees

I sweat Hess-I think Matthew Mulligan is my LEAST favorite Jet, you know, one that plays. OK, Vlad Ducasse is right up there with him. Now THAT guy shouldn't even BE dressed every week and wouldn't be if the Jets weren't so weird about protecting their crappy draftees

Mulligan played great last week.

I liked how they used Vlad as a TE last week. I hope this guy is just another good blocker to add to the mix.

yea we'd hate to have a TE on the roster who fumbles a ball into the defenders' hands for 6 points...oh wait...

You've always been a good poster SoFLAJets, but dude, stop acting like Dustin Keller is some type of TE who has problems with fumbles. That fumble was just as much Mark's fault, as it was Keller's. He never had "full control" of the ball. Fluke play man.

Keller has 173 career receptions, 2,116 yards, 12.2 yards per reception, 12 TD's, 109 first downs and only 2 fumbles since being drafted into the league back in 2008. His first fumble also came from when he was diving into the end zone.

So please, SoFLAJets, tell me what the heck your talking about. Stop trying to make Keller out to be some type of "fumbler", all because of ONE fluke play against the Chargers... The negative criticism these players receive from much of our fan base is just too much.

You, uh. You...graded the play of Matt Mulligan?

No, but I recall him getting some 2nd level blocks on some of Greene's longer runs and then I read this article and since it was technically a decent day offensively, I put 2 and 2 together. Maybe great is an exaggeration, but he got a lot of snaps.

Jets playing-time breakdown

October, 24, 2011

Oct 24

10:54By Rich Cimini

An unofficial review of the playing time in the Jets' 27-21 win over the Chargers (based on press-box view, all small margin for error):

RUNNING BACKS

Shonn Greene ... 35/66 snaps

LaDainian Tomlinson ... 25

John Conner ... 14

Joe McKnight ... 5

TIGHT ENDS

Dustin Keller ... 56/66 snaps

Matt Mulligan ... 43

Vlad Ducasse ... 9

Josh Baker ... 1

WIDE RECEIVERS

Santonio Holmes ... 59/66 snaps

Plaxico Burress ... 52

Jeremy Kerley ... 21

Patrick Turner ... 3

Analysis: Tomlinson probably would've had more playing time, but he was ill and played only five snaps in the second half ... This was a busy day for Mulligan, as the Jets went heavy with two-TE packages ... Ducasse was used as an extra tight end in jumbo packages ... Curiously, Burress wasn't in the game on the Jets' final offensive play, the third-and-3 from the Chargers' 3, when they needed his presence in the red zone. Mark Sanchez, with no one open, took an intentional sack to keep the clock running and forcing the Chargers to take the last timeout.

No, but I recall him getting some 2nd level blocks on some of Greene's longer runs and then I read this article and since it was technically a decent day offensively, I put 2 and 2 together. Maybe great is an exaggeration, but he got a lot of snaps.

Jets playing-time breakdown

October, 24, 2011

Oct 24

10:54By Rich Cimini

An unofficial review of the playing time in the Jets' 27-21 win over the Chargers (based on press-box view, all small margin for error):

RUNNING BACKS

Shonn Greene ... 35/66 snaps

LaDainian Tomlinson ... 25

John Conner ... 14

Joe McKnight ... 5

TIGHT ENDS

Dustin Keller ... 56/66 snaps

Matt Mulligan ... 43

Vlad Ducasse ... 9

Josh Baker ... 1

WIDE RECEIVERS

Santonio Holmes ... 59/66 snaps

Plaxico Burress ... 52

Jeremy Kerley ... 21

Patrick Turner ... 3

Analysis: Tomlinson probably would've had more playing time, but he was ill and played only five snaps in the second half ... This was a busy day for Mulligan, as the Jets went heavy with two-TE packages ... Ducasse was used as an extra tight end in jumbo packages ... Curiously, Burress wasn't in the game on the Jets' final offensive play, the third-and-3 from the Chargers' 3, when they needed his presence in the red zone. Mark Sanchez, with no one open, took an intentional sack to keep the clock running and forcing the Chargers to take the last timeout.

So, you tried to diss my man SoFla with some shaky anecdotal evidence and now you're backtracking? You've got some balls, kid.

You've always been a good poster SoFLAJets, but dude, stop acting like Dustin Keller is some type of TE who has problems with fumbles. That fumble was just as much Mark's fault, as it was Keller's. He never had "full control" of the ball. Fluke play man.

Keller has 173 career receptions, 2,116 yards, 12.2 yards per reception, 12 TD's, 109 first downs and only 2 fumbles since being drafted into the league back in 2008. His first fumble also came from when he was diving into the end zone.

So please, SoFLAJets, tell me what the heck your talking about. Stop trying to make Keller out to be some type of "fumbler", all because of ONE fluke play against the Chargers... The negative criticism these players receive from much of our fan base is just too much.

He's a big underacheiver bro-he disappears for stretches of every season since he got here. I WISH we had a guy like the new prototypical NFL pass catching TE like Hernandez and Graham-Keller will NEVER he that guy. I mean he ain't bad, but he ain't that great either

So, you tried to diss my man SoFla with some shaky anecdotal evidence and now you're backtracking? You've got some balls, kid.

Let's face TS, Keller is an average TE who has a good game once in a while. I like him but we need more. I liked what I was starting to see out of Jeff Cumberland. We NEED another pass catching TE, maybe this guy can be it.

Let's face TS, Keller is an average TE who has a good game once in a while. I like him but we need more. I liked what I was starting to see out of Jeff Cumberland. We NEED another pass catching TE, maybe this guy can be it.

I don't think Keller is a TE at all, and every snap he takes in the three-point stance is wasted. He's a lousy blocker who checks out when the game gets physical. If Schottenheimer had a functioning brain cell, he'd use Keller like Indianapolis uses Dallas Clark. Unfortunately, Tannenbaum has also never addressed bringing in a true TE to free up Keller. Cumberland was another converted WR. Losing out on Heap was a drag, too.

He's a big underacheiver bro-he disappears for stretches of every season since he got here. I WISH we had a guy like the new prototypical NFL pass catching TE like Hernandez and Graham-Keller will NEVER he that guy. I mean he ain't bad, but he ain't that great either

Cumberland going down hurts .... i think he will be a force with the Jets going forward .... not loving him just cause he's an Illinois boy - just have a feeling he's going to do good things

Cumberland going down hurts .... i think he will be a force with the Jets going forward .... not loving him just cause he's an Illinois boy - just have a feeling he's going to do good things

and he can catch the ball John-Cumberland that is-I seem to remember this kid Nelson but have a feeling he'll be gone two days after we play Buffalo anyway, just like every other scrub we sign to try and psyche out our upcoming opponent-I have more hope for Ricky Sapp sometime in the future

I don't think Keller is a TE at all, and every snap he takes in the three-point stance is wasted. He's a lousy blocker who checks out when the game gets physical. If Schottenheimer had a functioning brain cell, he'd use Keller like Indianapolis uses Dallas Clark. Unfortunately, Tannenbaum has also never addressed bringing in a true TE to free up Keller. Cumberland was another converted WR. Losing out on Heap was a drag, too.

I'm not exactly the Tanny hater you are, but I certainly agree with this point. These days, the vast majority of NFL teams, particularly those with an offense worth a damn, are carrying at least two legit TEs on the roster, guys who can contribute in both receiving and blocking, even if far better than one at the other. Meanwhile, the Jets don't even have one TE who fits in that category. I think Keller is a decent option, but think he would be even better served as part of a 2 TE set/rotation with a more complete TE option. The attempt to grab Heap at least told you the Jets thought that would be a good direction to go, but beyond failing in that regard they've really done little to nothing to address that. Just imagine if they had a guy like Joel Dreessen as their #2 TE, wouldn't that be nice? Why can't the Jets ever draft a guy like that?

Guy came in the league as more of a receiving TE. Bulked up from 243 to 270. Had a productive rookie year, then failed a drug test, and was suspended for 4 games. (Indicates steroids)

Didn't quite get it back together after that and was released. Worth a shot

Are they also still working with Jarron Gilbert at TE? If so does anyone know of his progress?

The fact that they have worked out TE's the last three weeks, and now signed one kind of indicates he won't be playing TE any time soon.

Tough transition

This is a good signing. Low risk with a high ceiling of potential. He's had an impact before and will be feeding us info for our next division opponent for sure. If he doesn't work out after that, so be it. If he does, it was at a bargain basement price.

He's actually pretty talented and started to show that his rookie year. Then the injuries and suspensions came. His main problem is he could never stay healthy. He was always hurt, never practiced. It got old and they cut him. He missed most all of camp and preseason because of injury before they cut him.

There's potential there for sure, but you need him to stay healthy.

and he can catch the ball John-Cumberland that is-I seem to remember this kid Nelson but have a feeling he'll be gone two days after we play Buffalo anyway, just like every other scrub we sign to try and psyche out our upcoming opponent-I have more hope for Ricky Sapp sometime in the future

Nelson is actually a pretty good TE. Actually has caught balls in the NFL, and hasn't been with the Bills in months.

Don't thikk Ricky Sapp is on the Jets

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:29 AM

LB Ricky Sapp Tweets he’s on the Jets, Sources Say NO

Posted by Erik Manassy on Oct 26, 2011 in Player Tweets | 0

LB Ricky Sapp Tweets he’s on the Jets, Sources Say NO

Whoa, slow down…. Ricky Sapp, LB and former Eagle tweeted on his account that he signed with the Jets last night. Here’s the

problem, a source says not only wasn’t he signed to the 53-man squad, he didn’t even make the Practice squad.

Archived