Wilson On Welker

Darth Vader

Wilson has been fairly dominant this year in the slot. With safety help (disguised in and out) this could be a nice wrinkle. i wonder if Rex-Pettine-Thurmon could toy with the idea.

U could run with an over-under combo and dare Brady to beat Wilson over top, which would also expose WW to some vicious flying dropkicks from the top ropes from an over-top S, such as Eric Smith.

With this sitch in place Revis and Cro get Branch and Johnson/Edelman/whoever, or even Gronk/Hernandez.

Disguising the double coverages would be key to trapping Brady and getting him to hold the ball a second longer for the pass rush or make imprudent throws.

Bad idea?

IMO if Wilson has developed to the degree that he has indicated on the field and that the CS says, he may be up to the challenge - actually a great boon since he is disguised as bait for Brady and would have plenty of opportunity for interceptions. Why protect Wilson? The more he is challenged, the better he will become. It may be that he is already our 2nd best CB this year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d822fa89e/QB-Brady-to-WR-Welker-73-yd-pass

Wilson has been fairly dominant this year in the slot. With safety help (disguised in and out) this could be a nice wrinkle. i wonder if Rex-Pettine-Thurmon could toy with the idea.

U could run with an over-under combo and dare Brady to beat Wilson over top, which would also expose WW to some vicious flying dropkicks from the top ropes from an over-top S, such as Eric Smith.

With this sitch in place Revis and Cro get Branch and Johnson/Edelman/whoever, or even Gronk/Hernandez.

Disguising the double coverages would be key to trapping Brady and getting him to hold the ball a second longer for the pass rush or make imprudent throws.

Bad idea?

Fine idea, but the key to beating Brady is not to let him hold the ball longer - when we don't get to him quickly, he sits back there for 4-8 seconds per snap and picks us apart. If Brady has that much time, the WRs will always win their matchups eventually out-running coverage.

The key is to disrupt the timing of the routes early, and get Brady to throw a second BEFORE he wants to, not later than he wants to. IMO that is what I've seen us, and some other teams, do and it works.

I think they'll mix coverages up - you have to against the Pats. I prefer Revis on Welker, its going to come down to how well we cover the TE's... and whether or not we can stop the run with so much middle of the field attention being given to Hernandez and Gronk. That's how they ate our lunch last time.... forced us to abandon the middle of the field to cover those 2 goons, and we got tore up by BJGELVIS

I would keep Revis on Branch. Revis is such a great weapon you need to use him to his maximum potential. That means using him outside the numbers. WIlson on Welker works. Cro can cover a TE.

Wait a sec, in their 3 WR look, who is the other receiver? You would have Branch on the outside, Welker in the slot, who is the other guy that is wide?

I wouldnt even consider it as I think that kind of assignment is way over his head. He has played much better this year but Welker is basically a 1 that happens to play the slot. Wilson is primarily covering slot guys and tight ends who are 3rd and 4th receiving targets. The better plays he has made are against teams where the QBs are throwing slow to a target and he has the speed to recover (such as the pick against San Diego where a well thrown ball to Jackson in stride would have been an easy reception but Rivers is just miserable this season) but I dont like the Brady/Welker combo for that. Wilson is giving up close to 70% receptions and Id also be worried that he would get some ticky tack penalties against a player like Welker which would not be called if he is covering a guy like Edelman. Im sure he will end up there a few times and against Gronkowski a few times but if they play that a majority of the time Id be really worried, especially if my help over the top is Eric Smith.

Fine idea, but the key to beating Brady is not to let him hold the ball longer - when we don't get to him quickly, he sits back there for 4-8 seconds per snap and picks us apart. If Brady has that much time, the WRs will always win their matchups eventually out-running coverage.

No way. Watch the playoff highlights again. Brady had plays where he took 7-10 seconds or more and then just threw it away because there was nowhere to go...lol

I wouldnt even consider it as I think that kind of assignment is way over his head. He has played much better this year but Welker is basically a 1 that happens to play the slot. Wilson is primarily covering slot guys and tight ends who are 3rd and 4th receiving targets. The better plays he has made are against teams where the QBs are throwing slow to a target and he has the speed to recover (such as the pick against San Diego where a well thrown ball to Jackson in stride would have been an easy reception but Rivers is just miserable this season) but I dont like the Brady/Welker combo for that. Wilson is giving up close to 70% receptions and Id also be worried that he would get some ticky tack penalties against a player like Welker which would not be called if he is covering a guy like Edelman. Im sure he will end up there a few times and against Gronkowski a few times but if they play that a majority of the time Id be really worried, especially if my help over the top is Eric Smith.

But the only time Revis actually looks human is when he covers the slot. Have you noticed that? It's just not him. He wants room to move and adjust.

I would keep Revis on Branch. Revis is such a great weapon you need to use him to his maximum potential. That means using him outside the numbers. WIlson on Welker works. Cro can cover a TE.

Wait a sec, in their 3 WR look, who is the other receiver? You would have Branch on the outside, Welker in the slot, who is the other guy that is wide?

Ocho Cinco? He's an easy guy to forget.

Ocho Cinco? He's an easy guy to forget.

They must be using a lot of 2TE, can't remember seeing him on the field more than a couple times. What happened to that Brandon Tate guy? It's funny I've seen a few Patriots games this year and I don't remember hearing a receiver's name other than Welker or Branch.

But the only time Revis actually looks human is when he covers the slot. Have you noticed that? It's just not him. He wants room to move and adjust.

Revis depends on the sideline just a bit more than other CBs actually. Better siad - he uses it more effectively than ant other CB in the game - maybe ever. Take away a builders tool and see the house built lopsided.

If there was anyone else worth putting Revis on yeah, but there isn't.

Exactly. I'm sure they will mix up coverages, but I don't expect a steady diet of Wilson on Welker. I think covering Welker is one of the reasons they drafted Wilson, but with the Pats current lineup, I don't see any reason to waste Revis outside. It was different when Moss was around.

No way. Watch the playoff highlights again. Brady had plays where he took 7-10 seconds or more and then just threw it away because there was nowhere to go...lol

The key is not letting him throw where he is wants at any given time. There is going to be a difference between first and second down and third, but that's how they handled it. We'll see how it works out, if Hernandez is still dinged it will help the coverage a lot.

They must be using a lot of 2TE, can't remember seeing him on the field more than a couple times. What happened to that Brandon Tate guy? It's funny I've seen a few Patriots games this year and I don't remember hearing a receiver's name other than Welker or Branch.

Tate is returning kicks and punts for the Bengals. 85 is there, but he's not doing much. I think he has about 10 catches and Edelman had a huge game against the Jets a few years ago, but has 10 catches over 2010 and 2011. It's Welker, TE, TE, Branch, RB, RB. I think that Faulk is a good security blanket for them and he has almost as many catches as 85 and he's only played one game.

I dont think thats the case at all. The only plays this year I can remember where Revis gave up yards was against Dez Bryant in week 1 on the sideline, a few catches to Brandon Marshall who is lining up outside, and then the outside pass to Johnson last week where Johnson just burned him. Welker didnt get a thing on him except on the play where Darrelle passed him off. He wont make as many impact plays in the slot since it is more difficult to pick the ball off there whereas he has alot more freedom outside to do things, but he is effective everywhere on the field.

id be traditional Revis on welker, cro on branch, and wilson on ocho. Hopefully that way ocho doesnt have a huge game people are saying he will.

Branch is having a much better year than Ocho. Most of the time they will probably be deciding who to cover between Branch and Hernandez, and not 85 who won't likely be on the field as much.

Those are highlights. The Jets take this approach, with like 7 DBs about 35% of the plays on D against the Pats. When they opt for heavy coverage like that, it works occasionally... when it works, it usually goes into the highlight reel.

Watch any game where the Patriots lose. What happens more often than not is that Brady cracks under pressure. When he gets hit, and hit often. Its kind of a universal truth, hit the QB and he's going lose his timing with the WRs. No defensive coordinator comes into the game with the plan to let the opposing QB have 8 seconds to throw the ball.

While the Jets may have made some key stops in the playoffs in situations like that, its the exception, not the norm. WRs and QBs will always have the advantage when given additional time. Always.

Revis is still mad about that big catch Welker had in the last game. He wants his revenge....

And like was just said I think the blitz packages are a huge key...I expect to see some Safety\Corner blitzes tonight!

If the Jets were smart, they would put Revis on Welker all game....Branch and Ocho are bums. I expect the Pats to try to run, if only to loosen up the middle of the field and feed the rock to Gron/Hernandez eventually. That's the Pats only hope, really.

Jets will mix up coverage, with Revis covering the hot hand most of the time. He could open up on Welker, but if Branch starts making plays, they could shift him over there. They may also want to put Cro on a TE. I think Wilson on Welker is a decent matchup for the Jets, but that the Jets will provide him with help if they decide to go that route.

Jets will be mixing in a lot of zone coverage, too, just to keep Brady on his toes. If Brady knows what DB is on what WR all game, that just makes it easier on him. That won't be the Jets gameplan.

yes but thats why id rather have cro on him then wilson. Im not incredibly afraid of their TE's yet.

Well, like I said I would expect to see more 2 TEs than 3 WRs. I was afraid of Hernandez coming into the season, but he has been dinged up and I guess that Gronkowski is having a better season. One thing to consider is that Branch is a fidget. People forget that sometimes because he looks big compared to Welker, but 5'9" looks big next to 5'7". Cro seems to have more trouble with little guys so I might be more likely to put him on 85 or a TE than Wilson.

Welker is their best receiver so Revis should probably be on him from the start. I could say they'd be playing with fire if they put someone else on him, but he's really not that dangerous outside of the red zone. One play where Eric Smith blows a coverage on him doesn't all of a sudden make him a deep threat. The most important thing is that we have the CB and coaching talent to be able to adjust to whatever they want to do.

If the Jets were smart, they would put Revis on Welker all game....Branch and Ocho are bums. I expect the Pats to try to run, if only to loosen up the middle of the field and feed the rock to Gron/Hernandez eventually. That's the Pats only hope, really.

OMG I agree with Garb.

And it's not political. :face:

Wilson is by no means ready to cover Welker. He has taken great strides this season but let's not get crazy.

Put him on Johnson or Branch and hope he shuts themb down.

No one expects Wilson to shut down Welker. But I do think he may be the best man for the job. He's done well against slot guys, which is something even Revis struggles with.

Archived