Remedial Football 101: The NFL Offense

Aten

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good read.

Bottom line-there are only so many good QBs to go around.If you don't have one more likely you'll experiment. But there is no danger of the Steelers, Pats, Saints, Giants or Packers wasting a down running iany Wildcat.

As to the Wildcat, without a player like Brad Smith or Tebow, it's pointless. When the Jets run it this year,they're playing 10 on 11, and without any threat of a pass. Either pass it or throw it, but do so without the farce of Sanchez "blocking". And if he gets hurt there is going to be some hell to pay.

As to the broad video of the whole field-at a loss why that video feed isn't available. The cameras are on and recording. The technology is there. Even YES now offers you the chance to see a Yankee game for different cameras. There's no reason the NFL and the networks don't offer alternative feeds, though doubt they're in HD. And when you go from HD to the old crap it's a shock. How did we watch THAT for half a century?

Oh yeah? What of the playcall then?

I read this whole thing with a smile. How long have I been saying this stuff with less words and intelligence?

Oh and one more thing...why do the '08 Dolphins get so much love for their Wildcat being weird/different while helping them to the playoffs when all they did was copy the '06 Jets (even having the same fn QB)?

I read this whole thing with a smile. How long have I been saying this stuff with less words and intelligence?

Oh and one more thing...why do the '08 Dolphins get so much love for their Wildcat being weird/different while helping them to the playoffs when all they did was copy the '06 Jets (even having the same fn QB)?

The best point is the lack of all 22 footage, without really studyng that angle (and knowing what you are looking at), we're all just pissing in the wind.. but it's a useful distraction from work anyway

A good read.

Bottom line-there are only so many good QBs to go around.If you don't have one more likely you'll experiment. But there is no danger of the Steelers, Pats, Saints, Giants or Packers wasting a down running iany Wildcat.

As to the Wildcat, without a player like Brad Smith or Tebow, it's pointless. When the Jets run it this year,they're playing 10 on 11, and without any threat of a pass. Either pass it or throw it, but do so without the farce of Sanchez "blocking". And if he gets hurt there is going to be some hell to pay.

As to the broad video of the whole field-at a loss why that video feed isn't available. The cameras are on and recording. The technology is there. Even YES now offers you the chance to see a Yankee game for different cameras. There's no reason the NFL and the networks don't offer alternative feeds, though doubt they're in HD. And when you go from HD to the old crap it's a shock. How did we watch THAT for half a century?

Like when Greene scored the TD Sunday? I was bitching about it and my Dad said they are obviously trying to set something up. Sure enough, it was the inside run after all the option crap. Sanchez blocking? What's the big ******* deal? He's all the way outside, away from the play. It's 10 on 11 when he hands the ******* ball off anyway. With this there is an extra "man" in the box on offense.

Like when Greene scored the TD Sunday? I was bitching about it and my Dad said they are obviously trying to set something up. Sure enough, it was the inside run after all the option crap. Sanchez blocking? What's the big ******* deal? He's all the way outside, away from the play. It's 10 on 11 when he hands the ******* ball off anyway. With this there is an extra "man" in the box on offense.

The Jets offense got going late because their OL beat the hell out of the Skins' defense. May be it helped that they ran out of the WC, but really it's more likley the Skins' defense broke down form that than any great play call. And the WC is going to look really stupid if Sanchez takes a shot trying to "block".

Watching the Jints/Pack, didn't see any wildcat and there were 73 points scored.

The Jets offense got going late because their OL beat the hell out of the Skins' defense. May be it helped that they ran out of the WC, but really it's more likley the Skins' defense broke down form that than any great play call. And the WC is going to look really stupid if Sanchez takes a shot trying to "block".

Watching the Jints/Pack, didn't see any wildcat and there were 73 points scored.

they both have good QB's, we don't....

uhh, i meant OC's.. sorry

Ha! Its not like your the only one.

The one thing the article doesnt touch on which (especially after reading this) might be more important than play calling/offensive design etc. is that great coaches make good players great. And great players make good coaches great. So while they all might be doing the same thing, its how you go about it, how you teach it and how you get your players to execute or do they want to execute for you.

Its not mystery that Rex is probably the best coach in the league at teaching Dline technique and consequently he gets UDFA type talent to play at the highest level in the league.

So while this article in general takes away from the "genius" behind coaching, its doesnt equate the value of how they teach or implement this stuff which is really the challenge if you ask me and is probably the hardest thing for a fan to assess.

Ha! Its not like your the only one.

The one thing the article doesnt touch on which (especially after reading this) might be more important than play calling/offensive design etc. is that great coaches make good players great. And great players make good coaches great. So while they all might be doing the same thing, its how you go about it, how you teach it and how you get your players to execute or do they want to execute for you.

Its not mystery that Rex is probably the best coach in the league at teaching Dline technique and consequently he gets UDFA type talent to play at the highest level in the league.

So while this article in general takes away from the "genius" behind coaching, its doesnt equate the value of how they teach or implement this stuff which is really the challenge if you ask me and is probably the hardest thing for a fan to assess.

I still predict this defense is average at best if not for Revis...

I still predict this defense is average at best if not for Revis...

The defense is average with Revis. Dont know what your point is. And they've proved last season they were fine without him.

And Revis wasnt Revis until Rex got here.

I'm not sure if you were trying to knock Rex, but I think Maybin is another example of how good the guy is getting the most out of his players.

The defense is average with Revis. Dont know what your point is. And they've proved last season they were fine without him.

I'm not sure if you were trying to knock Rex, but I think Maybin is another example of how good the guy is getting the most out of his players.

childplease.png

My point is that it's still the players primarily

My point is that it's still the players primarily

Like I said, great players make good coaches great and great coaches make good players great.

Maybin is an example along with Dixon, DeVito, Pouha, Cro. I think Revis is too. There were no talks of him being the "goat" until Rex came to town.

Remember when Gholston crushed David Carr? That's god-given. You can't teach that!

Like I said, great players make good coaches great and great coaches make good players great.

Maybin is an example along with Dixon, DeVito, Pouha, Cro. I think Revis is too. There were no talks of him being the "goat" until Rex came to town.

He was in his second year, and Revis' 2008 was phenomenal.

what? He was very good as a rookie and great in 08, def were talks about him being great pre Rex.. And what about Gholston, Rex said he was going to make him a star..

Maybin is fast and was put into an attacking defense that leverages his speed, square peg, square whole

I give Rex the credit for having the balls to put him on the island. Mangini was waaayyyy too conservative to do anything like that. But yeah, Revis is basically a combination of the genetic lottery and technique. Rex uses that well but I doubt he put him on that level.

Huh?

what? He was very good as a rookie and great in 08, def were talks about him being great pre Rex.. And what about Gholston, Rex said he was going to make him a star..

Maybin is fast and was put into an attacking defense that leverages his speed, square peg, square whole

Gholston was awful. No hope for that guy. I think Rex honestly made him better, but thats just how horrible he was. The dudes not in the league. He didnt care...thats uncoachable.

Revis was good before Rex, not goat talk. Rex made Revis island and hence, goat talk. Great coaches put players in position to maximize their talent and also get the most out of them. Rex does that. Maybin is an example of this.

I'm not sure if you are agruing with me or not btw. This shouldnt be trivial.

I give Rex the credit for having the balls to put him on the island. Mangini was waaayyyy too conservative to do anything like that. But yeah, Revis is basically a combination of the genetic lottery and technique. Rex uses that well but I doubt he put him on that level.

This. I'm not saying Rex created Revis. I'm saying he took him to the next level. This is all subjective...but I think it there is some credence to it.

Gholston was awful. No hope for that guy. I think Rex honestly made him better, but thats just how horrible he was. The dudes not in the league. He didnt care...thats uncoachable.

Revis was good before Rex, not goat talk. Rex made Revis island and hence, goat talk. Great coaches put players in position to maximize their talent and also get the most out of them. Rex does that. Maybin is an example of this.

I'm not sure if you are agruing with me or not btw. This shouldnt be trivial.

Revis was well on his way... I know fatties are your thing, but come on

this is from after 2008 season, revis was only in his second year

http://www.nfl.com/n...ide-in-afc-west

4. Darrelle Revis, Jets

After just two years in the NFL, Revis has quickly developed into one of the league's top cover men with his aggressive approach. The 2008 Pro Bowler possesses a diverse skill set that allows him to excel in press or off coverage, and his ball skills are extraordinary for a young player. With Revis' best football still ahead of him, he might occupy a spot on this list for years to come.

Not to mention that before '09 Pouhas problem was injuries...otherwise the Jets loved him...and then DeVito was a standout for his two years before Rex.

Huh? In what world was DeVito a standout when he was barely seeing the field under Mangini? lol I guess backing up the great Kenyon Coleman and CJ Mosley makes you a stand out these days.

Hell, he barely played Rex's first year here. lol

Revis was well on his way... I know fatties are your thing, but come on

this is from after 2008 season, revis was only in his second year

http://www.nfl.com/n...ide-in-afc-west

4. Darrelle Revis, Jets

After just two years in the NFL, Revis has quickly developed into one of the league's top cover men with his aggressive approach. The 2008 Pro Bowler possesses a diverse skill set that allows him to excel in press or off coverage, and his ball skills are extraordinary for a young player. With Revis' best football still ahead of him, he might occupy a spot on this list for years to come.

I'm not arguing that he wasnt a good player before Rex. He was. He was very good and definitely in the conversation. I'm saying, there is no conversation now with Rex. Again, its total conjecture, but Revis wasnt an Island till Rex got here. Fact. Clearly, its not all Rex, but to deny that he didnt have an impact is silly IMO.

Did you watch the 2008 Jets season? He was his his second year and clearly on his way to becoming a superstar.

I'm not sure who you are even talking about.

Archived