Bring back Trader Mike

BroadwayJ667

It seems to me that when Tannenbaum gets creative and trades up for a player he and the scouts like it pays off for the Jets. This is a good team missing a few pieces to make that Super Bowl push. Trader Mike please come back and get this team a RT and a safety that can blow up Gronk. Yeah depth may be at risk, but sign free agents for some depth.

Come back.

It seems to me that when Tannenbaum gets creative and trades up for a player he and the scouts like it pays off for the Jets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/sports/football/26jets.html

The Jets began talks Friday night, then pulled off a blockbuster five-for-one deal with Mangini’s Cleveland Browns on Saturday to land their latest quarterback of the future with the fifth overall pick. At his agent’s offices in Irvine, Calif., Sanchez broke into a smile, pumped his fist and pulled on a Jets cap.

Megaman_Derp.jpg

All those trades is exactly why our window closed.

We have limited young talent, we have no depth, our QB didn't work out like we'd hope.

Couldn't disagree with this premise more.

I'm not ready to give up on Sanchez yet EY-not until I see if his problems stem from him hitting a ceiling or (what I suspect) a crappy offensive coordinator and offensive system that never seems to play to his or any other Jets' QB's strengths

I'm not ready to give up on Sanchez yet EY-not until I see if his problems stem from him hitting a ceiling or (what I suspect) a crappy offensive coordinator and offensive system that never seems to play to his or any other Jets' QB's strengths

Whether you like him, dislike him, are ready to give up on him, or not ready to give up on him, I think we can all agree that we'd hoped for more out of a 3rd year QB.

That said, this thread is about trades, and yes, they've contributed to our recent success, but this season, it's been more about the weak schedule, and trades have left us with no depth and an aging roster that leaves us looking way up at the top teams in this league.

Whether you like him, dislike him, are ready to give up on him, or not ready to give up on him, I think we can all agree that we'd hoped for more out of a 3rd year QB.

That said, this thread is about trades, and yes, they've contributed to our recent success, but this season, it's been more about the weak schedule, and trades have left us with no depth and an aging roster that leaves us looking way up at the top teams in this league.

yea I'm very disappointed in what Rex and Tannenbaum FAILED to do this off-season. While chasing Namdi Asomugha and hoping beyond hope and waiting and waiting for Rex's new toy, every unsigned free agent went and signed on with other teams leaving us high and dry. They should have re-signed Edwards and Woody just in case and not traded Lowery away for nothing-even Weatherford, he is 5X better than Conley. They put all their eggs in one basket and then rushed to try and not let themselves look too bad by signoing Mason and Burress-remember Ryan said Mason would catch 90 balls-shows how much he knows (or even cares0 about the offensive side of the ball.

yea I'm very disappointed in what Rex and Tannenbaum FAILED to do this off-season. While chasing Namdi Asomugha and hoping beyond hope and waiting and waiting for Rex's new toy, every unsigned free agent went and signed on with other teams leaving us high and dry. They should have re-signed Edwards and Woody just in case and not traded Lowery away for nothing-even Weatherford, he is 5X better than Conley. They put all their eggs in one basket and then rushed to try and not let themselves look too bad by signoing Mason and Burress-remember Ryan said Mason would catch 90 balls-shows how much he knows (or even cares0 about the offensive side of the ball.

I don't know how much of this I agree with. I think the problems of the Jets aren't really related to this offseason, but rather resultant of bad drafting and trading away a lot of picks.

The team did not want Braylon back. That was pretty clear. And honestly, I think Burress has been a good addition, especially in the redzone. I'm not sure what other players we lost that we really needed to have. We're fine without Brad Smith. The biggest loss was Damien Woody, but that was his choice to retire. We've gotten older and slower up the middle, and there's really no cure for it but to have continued to bring in young players, which we haven't done. Eric Smith is the last safety we drafted. Even if he was decent, that's a long time ago. Ultimately, because of "trader mike" we have a ton of big contracts and big names, but not a hell of a lot of talent.

The Jets let go, or didn't resign the following players this past offseason

Damien Woody, Kris Jenkins, Jason Taylor, Ben Hartsock, Jerricho Cotchery, Cody Brown, Kelly Clemens, Drew Coleman, Shawn Ellis, James Ihedigbo, Brad Smith, Braylon Edwards, Steve Weatherford, Dwight Lowery.

Now alot of us, including me went batsh1t when we lost these guys

Who on this list do we actually miss?

Nobody

Have faith in Tanny, he'll get it done

Damien Woody, Kris Jenkins, Jason Taylor, Ben Hartsock, Jerricho Cotchery, Cody Brown, Kelly Clemens, Drew Coleman, Shawn Ellis, James Ihedigbo, Brad Smith, Braylon Edwards, Steve Weatherford, Dwight Lowery.

Nobody

We miss about half of those guys.

see, i didn't.. i also don't think he's good, btw..

but he's had 16 starts in college, almost exclusively against outmatched teams... he's basically 3 years behind manning coming out

All those trades is exactly why our window closed.

We have limited young talent, we have no depth, our QB didn't work out like we'd hope.

Couldn't disagree with this premise more.

I'm in the opposite camp. If Gholston and Ducasse were not draft busts, the Jets are sitting pretty good. And of course if Sanchez were playing better. I think those three are really hurting the Jets, not depth. LB's are slow and safety's suck, but you can only rebuild so much at a time. LB

's are about to get an overhaul. Maybe safety too.

Nobody

I miss alot of these guys to tell you the truth. Woody, Cotchery, Coleman, Edwards, Lowery, Weatherford. Tanny did a lousy job this off season. Who exactly did he replace these players with? Hunter, Burress, Mason, Conley. The bottom line is this team is less talented than last year's squad which is the responsibility of the GM. He did nothing to improve the most glaring needs on this team like backup QB, our safety play, offensive line depth to name a few. Nope, no faith in Tanny.

See the thing that I feel is such a misnomer is that because the Jets trade draft picks they lack depth. On average how many players do teams take away from a draft that are legitimate contributors? Two maybe three if they are lucky. How many draft picks wash out after the first two seasons? If they wash out how are they helping depth? Why not trade up for something you feel is going to work out, rather than waiting for something to possibly fall to you?

I'm in the opposite camp. If Gholston and Ducasse were not draft busts, the Jets are sitting pretty good. And of course if Sanchez were playing better. I think those three are really hurting the Jets, not depth. LB's are slow and safety's suck, but you can only rebuild so much at a time. LB

's are about to get an overhaul. Maybe safety too.

Gholston and ducasse busting is a lot for a short amount of time. We're talking about guys that can't see the field here. We also spent a 1st round pick on a 3rd string corner in that time.

Gholston and ducasse busting is a lot for a short amount of time. We're talking about guys that can't see the field here. We also spent a 1st round pick on a 3rd string corner in that time.

Yeah but EY at #30 who was around that point in the draft that was an alternative to wilson. They only had Revis, had just acquired an unknown with Cro (or were about to i forget) and were beat because of a lack of depth at corner. Who would you have preferred in 2010, that was a reasonable pick

Yeah but EY at #30 who was around that point in the draft that was an alternative to wilson. They only had Revis, had just acquired an unknown with Cro (or were about to i forget) and were beat because of a lack of depth at corner. Who would you have preferred in 2010, that was a reasonable pick

We had Cro already. But, I assume you're going with the Gholston, he was the only player we could have taken there logic?

We had Cro already. But, I assume you're going with the Gholston, he was the only player we could have taken there logic?

no I'm talking about 2010. Gholston was awful, no denying that. I mean 2010 draft, who should/would you have preferred at #30 opposed to kyle wilson. I wanted the Jets to trade up, but I couldnt argue with the wilson pick.

no I'm talking about 2010. Gholston was awful, no denying that. I mean 2010 draft, who should/would you have preferred at #30 opposed to kyle wilson. I wanted the Jets to trade up, but I couldnt argue with the wilson pick.

Not arguing with the pick, but it hasn't exactly panned out either. With hindsight, Gronk sure looks like a nice pick there.

Not arguing with the pick, but it hasn't exactly panned out either. With hindsight, Gronk sure looks like a nice pick there.

I'll make two slight arguements to your point. One Wilson is playing a very different position. I don't know if you have ever coached defensive backs but the sideline is such a crutch to them, that to have to play the interior is like switching from running back to tight end. So give him one more year before you claim he is what he is. Players really do have a three year learning curve.

As for Gronk, yeah we all are amazed at what he is now, but coming out he was coming off a serious back injury. Many teams didn't want to touch him, and when the Pats drafted him it surprised many because of the injuries. IIRC many had him going late 3 to 4.

As for what I wished Tanny had done, I wanted him to trade up for Brandon Graham (oops) or DeMaryius Thomas (might have been ok pick)

Ducasse was a project tackle taken in almost the 3rd round of the draft... He is not a bust... Expectations were never that high with realistic people.

Ducasse was a project tackle taken in almost the 3rd round of the draft... He is not a bust... Expectations were never that high with realistic people.

He is a bust. He was taken in round 2 not round 3. I can play that game as well (and play it often) by saying a high 3rd round pick is almost like a 2nd rounder.

Ducasse was taken in round 2. He's as close to a mid-2nd round pick at around #50 overall as he is to being a high 3rd round pick at about #70 overall. The team was supposedly considering taking him in round 1 and was tickled with delight he was still there at #61.

He was a 2nd round pick. Keep saying it until you accept it as the truth.

Once that is done, move onward to then accept this: he has been an enormous bust of a draft pick. Every time he sees the field something bad happens, even when he's lined up at "TE" (Even that's just a formation technicality; he's behaving as a 6th lineman who I'm sure is forbidden from running forward for any reason, including active gunfire behind him).

2nd round picks get 4-year contracts. If he can't start over - or even seriously compete with - the likes of a horribly slumping Wayne Hunter through year 3 of his 4-year rookie contract, it was a horrible pick and he is a hideous bust.

If we didn't burn a 2nd round pick on him he wouldn't even be on our practice squad. You are applying 6th-round standards to a 2nd-round pick. The only problem with that is that the 6th rounder would have been cut by now no matter how much innate athletic ability he has.

By the way, I think he sucks.

I'll make two slight arguements to your point. One Wilson is playing a very different position. I don't know if you have ever coached defensive backs but the sideline is such a crutch to them, that to have to play the interior is like switching from running back to tight end. So give him one more year before you claim he is what he is. Players really do have a three year learning curve.

As for Gronk, yeah we all are amazed at what he is now, but coming out he was coming off a serious back injury. Many teams didn't want to touch him, and when the Pats drafted him it surprised many because of the injuries. IIRC many had him going late 3 to 4.

As for what I wished Tanny had done, I wanted him to trade up for Brandon Graham (oops) or DeMaryius Thomas (might have been ok pick)

I'm not claiming he's a bust at all. I'm saying that he's a 3rd string CB, and we gave a huge contract to a 2nd string CB after drafting him, which is not a glowing endorsement. If he was more, we don't resign Cromartie or go after Aso that hard.

Regardless of "expectations", the guy was a 2nd rounder who doesn't see the field. Project or not, we need guys who can see the field. Duccasse doesn't.

The guys I listed we're all upgrades from what we have now.

The biggest disappointment, IMO, has been McKnight. If the Jets draft a RB early, it's hard to see how he even makes the roster. He's earned zero role on an offense desperate for big plays and, sure, he's done well returning kicks, but who doesn't under Westhoff?

The biggest disappointment, IMO, has been McKnight. If the Jets draft a RB early, it's hard to see how he even makes the roster. He's earned zero role on an offense desperate for big plays and, sure, he's done well returning kicks, but who doesn't under Westhoff?

McKnight stinks and he stunk in college. I hated that pick. This other kid from Louisville isnt exactly Eric Dickerson either.

Ducasse was taken in round 2. He's as close to a mid-2nd round pick at around #50 overall as he is to being a high 3rd round pick at about #70 overall. The team was supposedly considering taking him in round 1 and was tickled with delight he was still there at #61.

He was the 61st overall pick, a LATE 2nd rounder...I would say closer to a high 3rd rounder.

You still have yet to answer the question who you would have drafted there? You seem to be one of those guys. You know, one of those draft revisionists. Don't be one of those guys

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2010/draft.htm

Archived