Bondy: Jets Should Consider Alternative To Sanchez At QB

SoFlaJets

NY Jets should call audible, consider alternative to Mark Sanchez at quarterback

Maybe Sanchise isn't the answer for Jets

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Originally Published: Monday, December 26 2011, 10:28 PM

Updated: Tuesday, December 27 2011, 12:28 AM

image.jpg

Ken Goldfield for New York Daily News

Mark Sanchez looks puzzled as he walks off the field after a dismal game against the Giants, with the Jets no longer in control of their playoff destiny.

Mark Sanchez's miserable stats this season mirror his own team’s failings. He is ranked 22nd in the NFL quarterback ratings, which is exactly where the Jets rank in their traditional strengths under Rex Ryan, points allowed on defense and rushing the ball.

There are so many problems with this team right now — the pass rush, the safety coverage on tight ends, the missed tackles, the lack of a breakaway running back and the absence of big-play receivers — that it is impossible to dump everything on Sanchez or even the offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer.

But either the Jets get a lot better at a lot of positions next year, or they need a new quarterback who can transform such a badly flawed side into something much better. And after what we’ve seen from the Jets these past two weekends, it just might be easier to change quarterbacks.

You’re not going to hear that from Rex Ryan. For one thing, it’s a week too early to be collecting scalps. The Jets have a recent history with Ryan of becoming extremely lucky when it comes to playoff permutations around this time of year. And then Ryan on Monday said again he had no interest in replacing Sanchez, even if Peyton Manning were available.

“There’s no way that we’re looking to replace Mark Sanchez,” Ryan said on ESPN adio. “If they were both out there and you were starting a draft, I would take . . . Would you take Peyton Manning? Yeah, I’d take Peyton Manning over anybody. I’m not telling that lie. Of course, I would take him. But right now, when you’re looking at our football team and our franchise, obviously we feel great about our quarterback situation.”

It was important for Ryan to douse the brushfires, because reports have been floating around for weeks that the Jets are fully aware they don’t have Johnny Unitas under center and would consider alternatives in the offseason.

This would be no easy thing to do, of course. The Jets have invested a lot of time and energy in Sanchez, who is a hard-working, likable guy. And Ryan has never indicated the desire to own a throw-from-the-heels kind of quarterback. From the day he was first introduced as Jet head coach, Ryan said straight out that was not his style. Those 59 pass attempts on Saturday against the Giants were not to Ryan’s liking, and may yet cost Schottenheimer his job.

But then on Monday, for the first time really, Ryan was admitting the obvious, that at the very top of his wish list was “producing more big plays down the field.” Ryan insisted in a conference call that the Jets had the personnel to do that right now, which sounded about as truthful as Sione Pouha telling reporters he hadn’t heard there were words between Ryan and Brandon Jacobs.

“My feelings about Mark Sanchez, I’ve said it before,” Ryan said. “No quarterback is gonna look great when (passing) is all you do. It wasn’t Mark’s day by any stretch of the imagination. But we know he’s done it.”

Sanchez has won four playoff games. Let’s not kid ourselves, however. He threw for less than 200 yards last January in each of those postseason victories over the Colts and Patriots. He did not light up anybody. Sanchez can manage manageable games. He does not own the arm accuracy, the field vision or playmaking abilities to spin straw into gold. In his third pro year, Sanchez hasn’t just plateaued. He’s rolled backwards.

Still, Ryan is more likely to stick with Sanchez and tinker instead with a dozen other positions. The coach is a cockeyed optimist, and that’s not necessarily an act. It’s ego. Ryan believes he can role-play Sanchez into a quarterback good enough to win a Super Bowl, the same way he believed the Jet roster at the start of this season was better than it was in 2010.

Every one of Sanchez’s stats can be rationalized away. His low completion percentage (56.2), his 15 interceptions and his 37 sacks are the products of poor protection and the lack of a running threat. His low, 6.4 yards-per-completion average and his meager total of two completions of 40-plus yards can be attributed to slow wide receivers and an offensive coordinator who doesn’t trust Sanchez’s aim downfield.

Doesn’t matter that Sanchez has been playing a lot like Plan B. For the moment, Ryan insists he has no Plan A.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bravo. Fire fat mouth if he's too stubborn to realize a quarterback drafted in the top 5 should win games and not barely manage them *when the circumstances are right*.

Clean house with the coaching staff and bring a man/leader in to play quarterback when things aren't going right and not a boy/pvssy who couldn't hold onto the football if it was stapled to his hand and who should have 3x more interceptions if the defenders could catch.

Face it, Sanchez is not strong armed/accurate/smart (decisions)/protective (turnovers)/improving and lacks the presence a true leader. (Tom Brady, Rodgers, Brees) He looks like a little boy out there, his eyes are locked on one receiver throughout his whole progression. We need a playmaker not a qb who can only make plays when the situation is right.

The blame should not all fall on him, there are many other problems with the team but to not acknowledge he is a main weakness is just plain obstinate.

Ridiculous. He clearly doesn't watch the Jets every week so he doesn't know anything about Sanchez or his untapped, hidden superduperness. Or so I'm told.

Just wait till he's surrounded by pro bowl level talent at every position that he gets to play with for multiple years. Then, you'll see the real Mark Sanchez.

I was watching Drew Brees and Matt Ryan throw the ball down the field like we haven't seen the Jets do since Braylon Edwards was here and I swear I missed seeing the Jets be able to play that kind of a game-when needed. look, there's no WAY that Rex Ryan bails on Sanchez now, the player that HE chose, that HE went out to LA to recruit, who HE has banked his name on-HIS franchise quarterback who he playfully refers to as Sanchise.

The only way that Mark Sanchez isn't the starting QB next season is if Woody Johnson decides that he's had enough. There was this thing in the papers yesterday about all the moves that Johnson has made after a disastrous Jets' season; some body's head rolls out of the guillotine basket and down the streets of Florham Park. We all pretty much figure that Schottenheimer is the one but if the chance to steal a REAL franchis QB comes along-LIKE a Peyton Manning I can see Woody telling Tannenbaum to get it done, regardless of the cost.

I was watching Drew Brees and Matt Ryan throw the ball down the field like we haven't seen the Jets do since Braylon Edwards was here and I swear I missed seeing the Jets be able to play that kind of a game-when needed. look, there's no WAY that Rex Ryan bails on Sanchez now, the player that HE chose, that HE went out to LA to recruit, who HE has banked his name on-HIS franchise quarterback who he playfully refers to as Sanchise.

The only way that Mark Sanchez isn't the starting QB next season is if Woody Johnson decides that he's had enough. There was this thing in the papers yesterday about all the moves that Johnson has made after a disastrous Jets' season; some body's head rolls out of the guillotine basket and down the streets of Florham Park. We all pretty much figure that Schottenheimer is the one but if the chance to steal a REAL franchis QB comes along-LIKE a Peyton Manning I can see Woody telling Tannenbaum to get it done, regardless of the cost.

I agree- the down field passing was never consistent, but at least it was a threat when Braylon was here.

Just wait till he's surrounded by pro bowl level talent at every position that he gets to play with for multiple years. Then, you'll see the real Mark Sanchez.

Not pro bowl talent. but he does really well when he has a top 3 defense, tope 3 running game and top3 strating field position. Is that two much to ask for when you look that good...? Is it?

one of the core pillars of penningtology... i can't believer we're here again..

I was watching Drew Brees and Matt Ryan throw the ball down the field like we haven't seen the Jets do since Braylon Edwards was here

Yep, the Jets vertical attack was 2nd to none with BE.

Not pro bowl talent. but he does really well when he has a top 3 defense, tope 3 running game and top3 strating field position. Is that two much to ask for when you look that good...? Is it?

Not at all. Shame on the Jets for thinking he could pick up the slack by playing good Football without those elements.

It's officially jump-on-the-pile time.

well it sure as hell beats the alternative and hearing the same crap week after week "we have to clean that up" " It's not Schotty's fault, he called a GREAT game" "We're lucky to have Brian" "Mark Sanchez is an elite QB" "we're going to the Super Bowl because this is the best roster I've had since I got here". Rex has reverted to quoting stats now every week "we ran for 4.1 yards and Sanchez threw 59%" that crap-I'm sick of all the bullspit spin that we've had to endure all year-I WANT ANOTHER SUPER BOWL BEFORE I DIE-and I'm running out of years

one of the core pillars of penningtology... i can't believer we're here again..

Well its just a tragedy that the orginization expected him to be able to pick up the slack with new personnel and everything not being perfect aroud him. Shame on the Jets for thinking their superstar 5th overall pick could so such a thing in his 3rd season.

Yep, the Jets vertical attack was 2nd to none with BE.

Have you even SEEN the Jets try to covert a 3rd and 17 this year bro? I swear I don't think I've seen this offense even ATTEMPT to throw a ball 20 yards down the field when we need that much-all they call is a draw or a screen and then say "here defense, get us out of it again and we'll try on the next possesion" If I was on the defense of a team that played like that I'd be pissed too

Well its just a tragedy that the orginization expected him to be able to pick up the slack with new personnel and everything not being perfect aroud him. Shame on the Jets for thinking their superstar 5th overall pick could so such a thing in his 3rd season.

yeah but he only played 11 games in college and he wasn;t even born when Tecmo bowl was the rage.

well it sure as hell beats the alternative and hearing the same crap week after week "we have to clean that up" " It's not Schotty's fault, he called a GREAT game" "We're lucky to have Brian" "Mark Sanchez is an elite QB" "we're going to the Super Bowl because this is the best roster I've had since I got here". Rex has reverted to quoting stats now every week "we ran for 4.1 yards and Sanchez threw 59%" that crap-I'm sick of all the bullspit spin that we've had to endure all year-I WANT ANOTHER SUPER BOWL BEFORE I DIE-and I'm running out of years

Yep because a GOOD coach would say...

"we are perfect in every way and I see no need to improve"

"its totally Schottys fault and I'm going to kick his a$$ if it doesnt get better"

"We are totally doomed with Schotty and Mark"

"We are going to try and sneak into the playoffs and maybe make a SB run, that will depend on them mood Im in"

The line would be out the door of players and coaches who want to be a Jet.

Have you even SEEN the Jets try to covert a 3rd and 17 this year bro? I swear I don't think I've seen this offense even ATTEMPT to throw a ball 20 yards down the field when we need that much-all they call is a draw or a screen and then say "here defense, get us out of it again and we'll try on the next possesion" If I was on the defense of a team that played like that I'd be pissed too

How we supposeed to do that without Braylon? Pretty sure Plax is to slow and a little too post incarcerated and Homes is too stoned to run that long. Damn you Tanny.

Amen, you'd think they were playing the same post-game interviews week after week. "It falls on me" Oh yeah? It's easy to say that every week with no consequences. Put up or shut up and get out.

Hey the QB and the coaches are the face of the franchise =they get more praise when you win and take the blunt when you lose- that is just the NFL. they are all on the hot seat right now

That's ridiculous. Where was the praise for back to back championship game appearances, because I didn't see it. Then one down season (and by down season, I mean, "we still have a shot at a playoff berth in week 17") and people are talking about firing Rex. Geez, sometimes you guys are unbalanced. You need to get your heads out of your asses here.

I hear ya, Jimmy. I'm just not sure how productive it is for the organization to "whisper" about dumping its young, impressionable franchise QB. I've never seen a franchise "whisper" as much as the Jets do.

No offense here, and it's just my opinion, but the Jets o-line has some issues.....and that has played a huge role in Mark's performance. It's tough when you don't trust your o-line.

Last week, with Light out and Mankins soon to follow....Brady had a woeful first half. They got that straightned out by moving some peices along the o-line, going no huddle a lot and finding Welker more. My point is, maybe, just maybe, your o-line issues and the coaching staff's inability to come up with a way to minimize their deficiencies is a problem.

Further, if you proclaim to be a "pound and ground" team.....be a pound and ground team. Since when does pound and ground mean 59 pass attempts? What is the O's identity?

This post in no way meant to rabble rouse, btw. I'm in no position to do so with the Sieve Pats D. My little spouts. Leaks everywhere. Worst Pats Pass Defense I have ever seen, and I've been watching for a long time.

Last week, with Light out and Mankins soon to follow....Brady had a woeful first half. They got that straightned out by moving some peices along the o-line, going no huddle a lot and finding Welker more. My point is, maybe, just maybe, your o-line issues and the coaching staff's inability to come up with a way to minimize their deficiencies is a problem.

Or maybe you have a once in a generation Qb that can make up for all that?

You can want to get rid of Sanchez, but Bondy's reasoning is flat out stupid.

The Jets have a lot of holes to fill, but it's easier to fill the QB position, so get rid of Sanchez. Only elite QBs cover up for holes and you can't get those easily.

....yes, I am beyond estatic that I have had the pleasure of watching Brady play for my favorite team.

As you should be.

Just for sh*ts and giggles - lets take your examples above a step further. You think Sanchez comes out and turns it around in the 2nd half of that game?

Not a chance in hell.

That's ridiculous. Where was the praise for back to back championship game appearances, because I didn't see it.

I don't remember what the exact stat was, but I know the Steelers have done this twice, the colts I think have done it, and the Pats too, all since 2000. They all won superbowls too.

Maybe there's not a lot of praise because while making it there is a good thing, losing in the AFC Championship game in back to back years isn't exactly something they give out trophies for.

The only way that Mark Sanchez isn't the starting QB next season is if Woody Johnson decides that he's had enough. There was this thing in the papers yesterday about all the moves that Johnson has made after a disastrous Jets' season; some body's head rolls out of the guillotine basket and down the streets of Florham Park.

let's look at this from Woody's perspective. He signs the payroll checks. He signs Revis' huge check, how does he feel? LIke he's buying a Ferrari, it's expensive but it's worth it cause it's awesome. How does he feel when he signs Sanchez' huge check? Like he's getting ripped off probably. Cause he's not returning on that investment.

Don't ever forget this is all about money. It's always about money. Sanchez has been given a huge amount of money and he's due another $2.5 Million dollar bonus in March. TO go on top of his 10+ mil salary in 2012.

Why does he deserve that money?

or put it another way if Mark Sanchez were a free agent, tomorrow, would anyone else pay him that money? What would they pay him?

Let me be clear, I personally don't have a problem with mark Sanchez. I like him and root for him.

I do wonder about his value. If the Jets had a come to Jesus talk with him where they threatened to cut him, like the 49ers did Alex Smith, I'd have no problem with Mark Sanchez. The reality is they are paying him like a superstar and he's playing like a developmental backup. That's supply and demand and that's the market.

Woody has to cut these checks. and He can fire Schotty but it can't be lost on him that Sanchez earns what 10 Schotty's make.

Further, if you proclaim to be a "pound and ground" team.....be a pound and ground team. Since when does pound and ground mean 59 pass attempts? What is the O's identity?

there's been alot of talk about the 59 attempts

I have no problem with it.

if we look at the Giants, their strength is their DL and their weakness is their secondary. That's how to beat the Giants is by passing. More than that, It's a passing league. Every year they change the rules and make it more important to have a QB who can make reads and accurate throws.

Coaches, coach and players play. Schotty probably gets fired but he shouldn't be scared to call 59 passes, to their so-called star quarterback. Cause let's face it Sanchez wasn't a 2nd rounder. He's not getting paid peanuts. He's getting paid like he's an elite QB and he's not playing that way. if 1 player takes up 10% or more of the cap, he needs to perform, every single week.

let's look at this from Woody's perspective. He signs the payroll checks. He signs Revis' huge check, how does he feel? LIke he's buying a Ferrari, it's expensive but it's worth it cause it's awesome. How does he feel when he signs Sanchez' huge check? Like he's getting ripped off probably. Cause he's not returning on that investment.

Don't ever forget this is all about money. It's always about money. Sanchez has been given a huge amount of money and he's due another $2.5 Million dollar bonus in March. TO go on top of his 10+ mil salary in 2012.

Why does he deserve that money?

or put it another way if Mark Sanchez were a free agent, tomorrow, would anyone else pay him that money? What would they pay him?

Let me be clear, I personally don't have a problem with mark Sanchez. I like him and root for him.

I do wonder about his value. If the Jets had a come to Jesus talk with him where they threatened to cut him, like the 49ers did Alex Smith, I'd have no problem with Mark Sanchez. The reality is they are paying him like a superstar and he's playing like a developmental backup. That's supply and demand and that's the market.

Woody has to cut these checks. and He can fire Schotty but it can't be lost on him that Sanchez earns what 10 Schotty's make.

Agreed, but I don't think Woody will stick his nose in until the product on the field starts costing him ticket sales. I don't think people aren't going to buy PSLs because Mark Sanchez is the QB, unless (of course) Peyton Manning and the bump that he'd give season ticket sales becomes available.

As you should be.

Just for sh*ts and giggles - lets take your examples above a step further. You think Sanchez comes out and turns it around in the 2nd half of that game?

Not a chance in hell.

Maybe....I'm just wondering what the heck Schotty is thinking. If the pressuer is on....screen more. Go no-huddle. Run?

there's been alot of talk about the 59 attempts

I have no problem with it.

if we look at the Giants, their strength is their DL and their weakness is their secondary. That's how to beat the Giants is by passing. More than that, It's a passing league. Every year they change the rules and make it more important to have a QB who can make reads and accurate throws.

Coaches, coach and players play. Schotty probably gets fired but he shouldn't be scared to call 59 passes, to their so-called star quarterback. Cause let's face it Sanchez wasn't a 2nd rounder. He's not getting paid peanuts. He's getting paid like he's an elite QB and he's not playing that way. if 1 player takes up 10% or more of the cap, he needs to perform, every single week.

I have a problem with it when you're only down a score and ripping off 5 yards per rush while your QB is stinking up the joint.

Archived