Bondy: Jets Should Consider Alternative To Sanchez At QB

SoFlaJets

there's been alot of talk about the 59 attempts

I have no problem with it.

if we look at the Giants, their strength is their DL and their weakness is their secondary. That's how to beat the Giants is by passing. More than that, It's a passing league. Every year they change the rules and make it more important to have a QB who can make reads and accurate throws.

Coaches, coach and players play. Schotty probably gets fired but he shouldn't be scared to call 59 passes, to their so-called star quarterback. Cause let's face it Sanchez wasn't a 2nd rounder. He's not getting paid peanuts. He's getting paid like he's an elite QB and he's not playing that way. if 1 player takes up 10% or more of the cap, he needs to perform, every single week.

I understand trying to take advantage of the oppositions weakness.....but that takes time in the pocket, a quick release, etc. Sanches is at his best at the play action. How does that work? Establish the run. If the o-line is having issues, and the opposition has a really good pass rush.....hello? Loosen it up. Quick screens, no huddle, run plays, reverses, whatever.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the o-line is having issues, and the opposition has a really good pass rush.....hello? Loosen it up. Quick screens, no huddle, run plays, reverses, whatever.

the Jets ran screens and end around/reverses. to score points in this league you have to pass. Garb you are sitting on a high horse, with Brady. You know that the lawfirm and ridley or end arounds to welker doesnt win the games.

the Jets ran screens and end around/reverses. to score points in this league you have to pass. Garb you are sitting on a high horse, with Brady. You know that the lawfirm and ridley or end arounds to welker doesnt win the games.

It's not a high horse when I know how lucky I am having Brady....I just think those plays loosen up the defense and sometimes move the chains.

Listen, you know more about this than I do, so I will defer to you. All I'm saying is if your QB's weakness is throwing from the pocket...why throw from the pocket 59 times? Doesn't make sense....to me, anyway.

Not pro bowl talent. but he does really well when he has a top 3 defense, tope 3 running game and top3 strating field position. Is that two much to ask for when you look that good...? Is it?

No one looks good when they have crap around them - look at Phil Simms first 3 years in the league...

No one looks good when they have crap around them - look at Phil Simms first 3 years in the league...

Phil Simms had a major league arm and was very accurate.

I think he still has the highest compl % in a superbowl game ever, something like 23 for 25.

Are trying to say Sanchez is as good as Simms?

Phil Simms had a major league arm and was very accurate.

I think he still has the highest compl % in a superbowl game ever, something like 23 for 25.

Are trying to say Sanchez is as good as Simms?

take a look at Simms' first 3 years stats and the win/loss record by the Giants in that same time period - Mark compares much better than Simms

That's because there aren't any. No one here has a legitimate, viable idea to both improve the QB situation and the rest of the team without crippling the future.

That's what they pay Mike Tannenbaum and Terry Bradway and all the scouts the big money for-it's THEIR job to find alternatives. All that Mike Tannenbaum has spent all his energy on the past two summers is trying to get Rex his new toys at CB-Revis last year and Asomugha this year. He couldn't be bothered worrying about signing any linemen or decent receivers or safeties or pass rushers or even a REAL plan B option in case Sanchez turned into what he has. REX WANTED ASOMUGHA!!!! Nothing else mattered and we Jets fans paid the price watching this crappy excuse for a football team

That's because there aren't any. No one here has a legitimate, viable idea to both improve the QB situation and the rest of the team without crippling the future.

If there's any truth to the rumor that Jets hierarchy is considering moving on from Sanchez, they'd likely hedge their bets by signing Jason Campbell as an insurance policy against Sanchez's collapse, while spending a 3rd or 4th round pick on a Nick Foles-type prospect.

If there's any truth to the rumor that Jets hierarchy is considering moving on from Sanchez, they'd likely hedge their bets by signing Jason Campbell as an insurance policy against Sanchez's collapse, while spending a 3rd or 4th round pick on a Nick Foles-type prospect.

How is Campbell an upgrade? Matt Flynn might be a possibility but not sure they have the money to outbid other because of other contracts.

How is Campbell an upgrade? Matt Flynn might be a possibility but not sure they have the money to outbid other because of other contracts.

Campbell wouldn't be an upgrade, he'd be the transitional guy until the Foles-type is ready. This is assuming that Sanchez imploded between here and there.

Campbell wouldn't be an upgrade, he'd be the transitional guy until the Foles-type is ready. This is assuming that Sanchez imploded between here and there.

Kid Glennon for NC State is on right now....6'6 good arm, interested to see where he ends up

When is the last time anyone saw Suckchez stand tall in the pocket and throw a 25yrd. laser down the field on 3rd&15? Exactly, never. And he never will either. Know the last Jet QB to do that? Try Ken O'Brien. Rex is blinded by his big ego&fatter mouth.

take a look at Simms' first 3 years stats and the win/loss record by the Giants in that same time period - Mark compares much better than Simms

Kind of apples and oranges.

Mark inherited a 9-7 team. One that had been good for most of a decade. Simms went to a team that had six straight losing seasons.

Simms came into the league during a time when the liberalization of pass defense rules was just beginning.

-In 1979, 4 teams had a completion percentage greater than 60%. 20 NFL teams did this last year. 16 are at or above it this year.

-In 1979 19 teams had 20 or more INTs. Only 10 had more than 20 last year. 6 have more than 20 with a handful within range this year.

-In 1979, only 11 teams had 20 or more TD passes. 23 teams made it last year and 18 have so far this year.

Phil came into a league when Pass D rules were not nearly as tilted as they are now.

I'm kind of hoping that's what happens, though Campbell never throws a pass as a Jet in my head. Sanchez gets angry and levels up to Super Sanchez 1 and kills Frieza.

I'm kind of hoping that's what happens, though Campbell never throws a pass as a Jet in my head. Sanchez gets angry and levels up to Super Sanchez 1 and kills Frieza.

It's far more likely that Campbell shatters into a million pieces during TC, Sanchez plays himself out of a job by Week 4, and McElroy/Foles/Cousins/Lindley/whoever ends up being the next Jets QB good enough to start for 3 years but not good enough to win anything of consequence.

It's far more likely that Campbell shatters into a million pieces during TC, Sanchez plays himself out of a job by Week 4, and McElroy/Foles/Cousins/Lindley/whoever ends up being the next Jets QB good enough to start for 3 years but not good enough to win anything of consequence.

kermit-yay-flail-o.gif

I want the QB:OC ratio back to a more normal 1.5 to 1 rate too...It's just ridiculous how much of a gosh dang debacle this franchise continues to be. It infuriates the soul.

I was watching Drew Brees and Matt Ryan throw the ball down the field like we haven't seen the Jets do since Braylon Edwards was here and I swear I missed seeing the Jets be able to play that kind of a game-when needed. look, there's no WAY that Rex Ryan bails on Sanchez now, the player that HE chose, that HE went out to LA to recruit, who HE has banked his name on-HIS franchise quarterback who he playfully refers to as Sanchise.

The only way that Mark Sanchez isn't the starting QB next season is if Woody Johnson decides that he's had enough. There was this thing in the papers yesterday about all the moves that Johnson has made after a disastrous Jets' season; some body's head rolls out of the guillotine basket and down the streets of Florham Park. We all pretty much figure that Schottenheimer is the one but if the chance to steal a REAL franchis QB comes along-LIKE a Peyton Manning I can see Woody telling Tannenbaum to get it done, regardless of the cost.

Absolutely stop on....we have the chance to get Manning or a real QB...why not go ahead and do it and Sanchez can be on the bench for a year..../

That may well be, but for his first 3 years, Phil Simms sucked.

And most QBs struggled during their first few seasons "back in the day".

Compared to today.

Cam should be the first rookie to eclipse 400 yards and short of a horrific game will have a play TD to INT ratio. Dalton will have 3400ish yards and a real good TD to INT ratio (20 to 13). Ponder and Gabbert have had decent seasons especially when you look at rookie QB seasons in the 80s.

Brafford had a solid rookie year. 3500 yards. 60% completion 18 TDs and 15 INTs.

Stafford, Sanchez and Freeman had ok rookie seasons, but showed potential.

2007 had Ryan and Flacco.

Simms struggled when D still had some advantages. Sanchez is struggling when in a league that slanted for him to do well.

Archived