I've Never Been So Happy To See A Jets Season End

SoFlaJets

It's a strange feeling, and one that has never happened to me in 4 and a half decades of watching NFL football. There were so few enjoyable moments this year-the fewest I can ever remember. The Year that we lost all of our QB's-Herm's last year comes close but that year we at least had excuses. This 2011 Jets team imploded unlike any Jets team I have ever seen. I have never seen a player of Holmes' stature-a frigging CAPTAIN quit on a team-never...

Have we ever seen a QB go from where Sanchez was last year to a player who shouldn't even be playing? It's hard to remember how we all felt about Sanchez; when we were down in the 4th quarter we almost EXPECTED him to bring us back with his heroics. That changed 180 degrees to a player that we all just sat there watching,and waiting because we came to EXPECT him to throw an interception or fumble the ball away-and when he screws up it ALWAYS cost us points.

The Jets gave up over a TD a week worth of points on turnovers-wow.

The New York Jets are in big trouble right now and I am kind of curious to see how it is all addressed. If I can have one request from Rex Ryan; STOP TALKING ABOUT SUPER BOWLS!!!! You have become the laughingstock of professional football...

It's a strange feeling, and one that has never happened to me in 4 and a half decades of watching NFL football. There were so few enjoyable moments this year-the fewest I can ever remember. The Year that we lost all of our QB's-Herm's last year comes close but that year we at least had excuses. This 2011 Jets team imploded unlike any Jets team I have ever seen. I have never seen a player of Holmes' stature-a frigging CAPTAIN quit on a team-never...

Have we ever seen a QB go from where Sanchez was last year to a player who shouldn't even be playing? It's hard to remember how we all felt about Sanchez; when we were down in the 4th quarter we almost EXPECTED him to bring us back with his heroics. That changed 180 degrees to a player that we all just sat there watching,and waiting because we came to EXPECT him to throw an interception or fumble the ball away-and when he screws up it ALWAYS cost us points.

The New York Jets are in big trouble right now and I am kind of curious to see how it is all addressed. If I can have one request from Rex Ryan; STOP TALKING ABOUT SUPER BOWLS!!!! You have become the laughingstock of professional football...

I think this is the most surprising thing to me. Last year they seemed to be able to put it together when they needed to. Now it's just a matter of waiting till Sanchez coughs it up for the other team.

But his completion % went up...oh yay. That's cause he dumps it off a lot more to his RB's and TE then he does putting it in the air for the WR's. Holmes had a career worst this year in yards and we had 2 plays, that's right, 2 plays ALL YEAR that went longer than 40 yards.

I think this is the most surprising thing to me. Last year they seemed to be able to put it together when they needed to. Now it's just a matter of waiting till Sanchez coughs it up for the other team.

But his completion % went up...oh yay. That's cause he dumps it off a lot more to his RB's and TE then he does putting it in the air for the WR's. Holmes had a career worst this year in yards and we had 2 plays, that's right, 2 plays ALL YEAR that went longer than 40 yards.

yup and say what you want about Braylon Edwards at least he stretched the field and ALWAYS played his a$$ off and showed himself to be grateful to be playing for a team like the Jets. I said last summer that the Jets should have signed him BEFORE trying to work it out with Holmes-well I hate being right and Braylon was right to be pissed off about it too-he KNEW what kind of player that Holmes was inside-a malcontent and now a quitter. But yea, Mike Tannenbaum had to worry about signing Asomugha first and foremost-he was the top priority-it didn't matter that we HAD no RT or depth at the safety position why we had Wayne Hunter and Eric Smith and Brodney Pool-Dwight Lowery should have been the starting safety but he was sent packing along with Big Wood and anyone who had a leadership role on the team. Funny how it ends up being Wayne Hunter who ultimately called Santonio Holmes out for his antics-the one good thing he did all year

Good post, Jimmy. I feel the same way. Because of Rex's mouth and the collection of jerkoffs that Tannenbaum assembled for this team, they gave you absolutely nothing to root for. If you took this personnel and that coach and put them on the Dolphins, Jets fans would lose their minds over what a douchebag franchise it was. But because they're "our" douchebags we're supposed to embrace them. F that.

Woody needs to step in and be the adult who restores some order to this clown college before he starts to lose even more of his precious PSL sales.

The coach and the team are punchlines who have are no longer sneaking up on anybody. Rex's gimmick defense is all but useless now, and his expensive little quarterback is ready to be committed to an asylum after a year of getting slaughtered in the media. This is a huge mess, and it's not one that's going to be fixed with a couple of free agents and draft picks. Woody needs to go out and hire Bill Parcells as Team President to come in and oversee the operations and serve as the adult in the room because, right now, his team is being run like a frat house. Do you think Parcells let's Holmes walk away unpunished from quitting on the team? Or praises him like Rex did after his Eagles celebration? Or laughs off the Sal Alosi thing? Hell no. Heads would have rolled.

yup and say what you want about Braylon Edwards at least he stretched the field and ALWAYS played his a$$ off and showed himself to be grateful to be playing for a team like the Jets. I said last summer that the Jets should have signed him BEFORE trying to work it out with Holmes-well I hate being right and Braylon was right to be pissed off about it too-he KNEW what kind of player that Holmes was inside-a malcontent and now a quitter. But yea, Mike Tannenbaum had to worry about signing Asomugha first and foremost-he was the top priority-it didn't matter that we HAD no RT or depth at the safety position why we had Wayne Hunter and Eric Smith and Brodney Pool-Dwight Lowery should have been the starting safety but he was sent packing along with Big Wood and anyone who had a leadership role on the team. Funny how it ends up being Wayne Hunter who ultimately called Santonio Holmes out for his antics-the one good thing he did all year

I can't help but feel like money had a play in this too. Edwards wanted to be here because he knew he wasn't gonna get a big contract anywhere else. He blew his chance with Cleveland and is now scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as money for a WR. Holmes got his big fat paycheck so he cashed it, along with his attitude and play. Holmes seems like he's not as hungry to go out there and take on the role of Captain. The captain shouldn't quit on the team, he needs to do whatever possible to help our offense. Him quitting on the team makes it look like he's abandoning Sanchez, who needs all the help he can get.

This is an issue that few around here can see. Mention this and the stronzos retort with references to two AFC Championship games.

When Matt Moore is taking you on a 12 and a half minute walk down the field, your defense is no longer effective. Yes, it still bottles up the Tyler Palko's of the world, but every decent team is going to laugh at it.

This is an issue that few around here can see. Mention this and the stronzos retort with references to two AFC Championship games.

The Jets defense was not that bad this year. They finished fifth in total YPG, fifth in Passing YPG, and 13th in Rushing YPG. Yes, it wasn't as good as the first two seasons, but what massacred the Jets this year was points off turnover.

The fact of the matter is this: The league has caught up to and figured out the Ryan defense-BOTH Ryans Dallas and New York got killed. The league has changed-Belichick had a big part in the dismantling of it too by attacking it right up the middle against slow LBers and safeties using and making the TE the biggest offensive weapon of the 2011 campaign

The Jets defense was not that bad this year. They finished fifth in total YPG, fifth in Passing YPG, and 13th in Rushing YPG. Yes, it wasn't as good as the first two seasons, but what massacred the Jets this year was points off turnover.

yards mean nothing. what matters is the final score. and 8 times this year they didnt do their job keeping the opponent's score lower than ours.9 times they allowed more than 20 points. You're not going to win a lot of games when you're allowing more than 20 points. This defense isnt terrible, but its far from good. the jets NEED the defense to lead the way for the offense. and it failed miserably, worse than sanchize.

what also did them in was an inept offense-Cro is right...I keep thinking about all of the drives that Matt Mulligan killed with his patented 1st down penalties-had to be at least a dozen-maybe more-the 2011 Jets were not a team that could abide 3rd and 10+ yards-they may have converted 10%-IF THAT.

When Matt Moore is taking you on a 12 and a half minute walk down the field, your defense is no longer effective. Yes, it still bottles up the Tyler Palko's of the world, but every decent team is going to laugh at it.

So what does it say about our offense, which is loaded with 1st round draft picks all around, can't even expose a 32nd ranked defense? As much crap as some people give the defense, if we had even a middle of the pack offense our season might not be over yet.

Yeah I think we've become a bit spoiled with our defense. Sometimes you blow a drive or two. It happens. But the majority of their failures have come from being handed horrible situations by the offense. Points from turnovers are astronomical this year. The offense killed us time and time again, while the defense was generally consistent. If the Jets can put up 20 points regularly, we aren't complaining about the D.

I'm not happy, but I am intrigued in how Rex and Tanny will deal with this first major hit to their program. How will they respond?

This is a crossroads year for both and we'll see if 2011 was an aberration or the beginning of a trend.

Rex has a great opportunity to set up his coaching career, correct his failings, and write his own ticket. Or he can be on borrowed time.

Hy does everyone care if Rex talks super bowl? I like that does. Get over it. It doesn't effect a thing.

This year was like a prolonged toothache. I did not enjoy any of the games. Watching our offense was excruciating. But even with that, the defense and the specal teams had their flaws. As for attitude, I really felt that this team thought they would coast to the post season.

I'm not happy, but I am intrigued in how Rex and Tanny will deal with this first major hit to their program. How will they respond?

This is a crossroads year for both and we'll see if 2011 was an aberration or the beginning of a trend.

Rex has a great opportunity to set up his coaching career, correct his failings, and write his own ticket. Or he can be on borrowed time.

Good post. It really is a turning point for the Rex Era.

Maybe they got a pep talk from Holmes and quit. I don't even think I blame them the way the offense plays, I wouldn't want to drag this out another week either

yards mean nothing. what matters is the final score. and 8 times this year they didnt do their job keeping the opponent's score lower than ours.9 times they allowed more than 20 points. You're not going to win a lot of games when you're allowing more than 20 points. This defense isnt terrible, but its far from good. the jets NEED the defense to lead the way for the offense. and it failed miserably, worse than sanchize.

It's a team game and it's pretty short-sighted to blame the defense for the offense's utter failings. The Jets had 126 points allowed off turnovers. That's horrendous. How you could possibly think the defense is more to blame than our offense for the failings is beyond me.

Rex has no problem challenging his players and coaches to perform better. Now's the time for him to challenge himself. It's simply unacceptable for him to not learn more about offensive football. It's time for him to take greater responsibility for the offensive problems.

I know how you feel Jimmy. Watched them lose yesterday and was really calm. I laughed when the Texans scored and went for two in their game. Nothing Jets or football related was going to cause me any pain.

Bring on the offseason.

Good post. It really is a turning point for the Rex Era.

I think it's a good lesson for Rex. First two years here and they resulted in going to the AFCG and maybe he got used to this idea of success. For the first time they've really collapsed. Now Rex's staff knows what it's like to miss the playoffs and hit rock bottom. They deserve all the backlash that is coming and will hopefully learn to bounce back from this. They tried to add all these malcontent talents and it finally bit them in the a$$. Mangini wasn't completely wrong by trying to add good character guys.

Rex has no problem challenging his players and coaches to perform better. Now's the time for him to challenge himself. It's simply unacceptable for him to not learn more about offensive football. It's time for him to take greater responsibility for the offensive problems.

Yep, from Rex's standpoint, it should be all about how he will improve as a HC. He has to take control of the entire team and stop being a DC.

The Giants' game was like the Watergate breakin for him. His faults were completely exposed. How can he throw Schitty under the bus after that? He acted in the postgame presser like he had no idea what the gameplan was and was oblivious when Schitty called 60+ pass plays, all plays that go through Rex's headset.

I know how you feel Jimmy. Watched them lose yesterday and was really calm. I laughed when the Texans scored and went for two in their game. Nothing Jets or football related was going to cause me any pain.

Bring on the offseason.

yea it's something that has to be learned to be able to do-to turn off one's emotions while watching the team that we all have invested so much into. And you Maxman, a person who takes money off of your kitchen table and your kids' futures for what you pay for with this site and all of the games you go to...I'd certainly be taking it a LOT more personal if it were me-I'm a guy down in Florida who bitches about having to spend what I spend on the Direct Ticket and think THAT'S too much

There was literally no joy this season, mostly because of the expectations. This team didn't beat 1 single team that finished with a winning record and was absolutely man-handled by the playoff teams it played.

For all of Rex's talk the defense was overmatched vs good offenses and had huge let downs on big drives. There was a total void of leadership and the team made more promises to the media each week then they did plays on Sunday.

This is a huge off-season for the Jets and rather than signing big names Tanny needs to focus on fixing the glaring issues from the past 2 years...on defense that means:

#1 Safety

#2 Pass Rush OLB

You know what would be nice this offseason? Not creating holes by cutting and/or trading players. I don't understand the practice the Jets seem to have of cutting loose veterans at a position, leading to a draft spent finding their replacements.

Also might be nice to maybe not wasting a pick on a one-dimensional RB in the mid-rounds of the draft.

I woke up this morning actually pissed that our season was over. I <3 Football. Especially Jets Football. Seeing Green and White on Sunday warms my heart win or lose. Now I have to wait 9 months to see it again. Sucks.

As much doom and gloom as I talk about, we controlled our own destiny in week 16. Its really not that bad. This team under achieved. The reason why this season is pissing people off so bad is because the expectations were so high. There was a reason for that.

You cant expect to for the Jets to pull off miracles year after year. Some of the games that went our way last year, went other way this year. Happens. I'm not happy the season is over, I wish we had a couple of more Jets games to watch, but I'm still hopeful, I still believe Rex Ryan will turn it around.

The Jets are a revamped offense from being a contender year after year. I believe that. If Rex Ryan is going to outsource the offense, hire a former Ex HC who you dont have to look over his shoulder (even though it appears Rex doesnt even do that).

About midseason-the losses to the Raider and Pats on the road stand out-the shine really came off Sanchez. Until then you thought if you gave him the ball with the clock winding down needing one score he could do it. And after those games the flaws seemed to become more apparent. Not sure he led a receiver properly all season, and the dumb INTs and fumbles became more a calling card than comeback wins. As we've discussed in the numeorus Sanchez threads, the big problem is you can correct physical things, but you cannot make him any smarter. Seems to have no awareness of the rush and treats the ball like a not potato. Also, front 7 defenders know he is not 6'5". Drew Brees, a very smart QB and about the same height, can get away with that. Sanchez so far hasn't shown that ability.

It's a team game and it's pretty short-sighted to blame the defense for the offense's utter failings. The Jets had 126 points allowed off turnovers. That's horrendous. How you could possibly think the defense is more to blame than our offense for the failings is beyond me.

Nobody said the defense takes more blame than the offense. Try this perspective... the defense really isn't all that it was cracked up to be, and the offense is putrid.

Nobody said the defense takes more blame than the offense. Try this perspective... the defense really isn't all that it was cracked up to be, and the offense is putrid.

"This defense isnt terrible, but its far from good. the jets NEED the defense to lead the way for the offense. and it failed miserably, worse than sanchize."

So what's that then? I was responding to him saying that exact thing, that the defense failed worse than Sanchez, which is clearly not true.

I also responded to you since you said that the defense has been figured out. To a degree, I agree with that, but if this team cut out even a quarter of the turnovers, we're likely a playoff team.

well stated and right on point. I also think Mr.T needs to poke REX and direct that he tone down his SB talk. Then I'd like to see REX wake up and understand that he is the HC. he better know why his #1 receiver is not in the game. The OC should NEVER have compltete authority to call plays and do as he pleases with personnel. That must end today. Schotty must go if only to force REX to become a headcoach!

"This defense isnt terrible, but its far from good. the jets NEED the defense to lead the way for the offense. and it failed miserably, worse than sanchize."

So what's that then? I was responding to him saying that exact thing, that the defense failed worse than Sanchez, which is clearly not true.

I also responded to you since you said that the defense has been figured out. To a degree, I agree with that, but if this team cut out even a quarter of the turnovers, we're likely a playoff team.

The D hasnt been figured out, we dont have the exact personnel to execute it consistently and we had some injuries/attrition in the offseason. When the execution was there, the Jets were still giving teams a fit defensively. They were just on the field to much between 3 and outs and turnovers.

They have some holes to fill and should be able to this offseason but will be fine. The offense needs to be completely revamped.

Archived