Mario Williams - Will he stay or will he go

LottsMissingFingerTip

The Patriots sign him they want to win before Brady retires. New England signed Adulius Thomas in 2007 when he was considered the best pass rushing free agent that year.

I agree....his comments in that PFT article make him sound like he'd fit the patriot way perfectly. I think the Pats have as good a shot as anybody....It all depends on whether he's willing to leave the texans.

I agree....his comments in that PFT article make him sound like he'd fit the patriot way perfectly. I think the Pats have as good a shot as anybody....It all depends on whether he's willing to leave the texans.

The Texans were able to survive when Williams went down for the season and they are not in great cap shape. Williams cost the Texans $15 million on last year’s cap, they may want to spend the money elsewhere and let him go to another team.

I personally think the Patriots are sick of planning for the future all the time, they get aggressive over the next few years cause Brady's probably got about 3 years left before he declines. The Pats try and bring in some impact players via free agency and maybe even trades up in the draft. I certainly don’t see them trading away a first rounder this year for someone’s first rounder next year at least.

I think the Pats move for him in a big way, their cap numbers are very low even after they sign "The Drop heard all over the World" Welker.

Mario is a freak and would make a monster rush Linebacker in the 3-4.

What we all hoped V.G would be.....

The Pats D stunk it up, they just need an average D to complement their juggernaut Offence. Adding Williams would be a great move for them.

He's not going anywhere. Tom I can't throw the ball to a wide open receiver Brady has a few years left as well as belly so they need a win ASAP and the Pats d sucks a$$ so they're going to need to make to do something to fix it but Mario isn't it he'll be franchised.

Pats should trade Brady now while he still has some value, he is the reason patholes did not win SB

Meh, I'd rather have Calais Campbell - but I got to imagine the Cards are either going to sing him long term or franchise him.

Mario is a bit overrated IMO.

The guy had 43 sacks in four seasons, from 2007-2010. Thats not overrated, unless someone called him Jesus.

The guy had 43 sacks in four seasons, from 2007-2010. Thats not overrated, unless someone called him Jesus.

He hasnt had a doulbe digit sack season in 3 years. His team, didnt skip a beat without him. In some respects, they improved on defense as he's pretty weak vs. the run. I think he's a "bit" overrated. I'd prefer Calais Campbell...big time. A 3-4 DE who gets your 8 sacks and year and a beast vs. the run. Sign me up.

I'll pass on Williams. I dont think he's a good fit for the 3-4.

He hasnt had a doulbe digit sack season in 3 years. His team, didnt skip a beat without him. In some respects, they improved on defense as he's pretty weak vs. the run. I think he's a "bit" overrated. I'd prefer Calais Campbell...big time. A 3-4 DE who gets your 8 sacks and year and a beast vs. the run. Sign me up.

I'll pass on Williams. I dont think he's a good fit for the 3-4.

I tend to agree with passing on Williams but ya cant call the guy overrated ,,,,,,, hes not just a passrusher hes a complete player who can play the run . Hes not a good fit for the 3-4 BUT keep in mind Rex can easily implement a 4-3 due to all the lineman we currently have and since our LB's are getting older and slower it would be easier to add LB;s in a 4-3 as opposed to a 3-4

I tend to agree with passing on Williams but ya cant call the guy overrated ,,,,,,, hes not just a passrusher hes a complete player who can play the run . Hes not a good fit for the 3-4 BUT keep in mind Rex can easily implement a 4-3 due to all the lineman we currently have and since our LB's are getting older and slower it would be easier to add LB;s in a 4-3 as opposed to a 3-4

I can call him overrated and I did call him overrated. And I specified with a "bit". And he's not good vs. the run. Dont know where you came up with that. Its his biggest weaknes by far.

I can call him overrated and I did call him overrated. And I specified with a "bit". And he's not good vs. the run. Dont know where you came up with that. Its his biggest weaknes by far.

At OLB probably but at DE where he played most of his career i thought he did quite well . At OLB hes basicly a pass rusher and thats it since its not his natural position

Mario Williams is a universally praised, well known and talented defensive football player. How, exactly, is he supposed to make Bill Belichick look like a genius when they win? Bill only wants scrap heapers so everyone will know just how awesome Bill is. Mike Wright, baby. Tedy Bruschi.

I personally think the Patriots are sick of planning for the future all the time, they get aggressive over the next few years cause Brady's probably got about 3 years left before he declines. The Pats try and bring in some impact players via free agency and maybe even trades up in the draft. I certainly don’t see them trading away a first rounder this year for someone’s first rounder next year at least.

I disagree...Picking at 27th and 31st, Belichick will still trade down (which I love, btw) if he can find the right trading partner which might be harder now that Al Davis is gone. The thing that people don't understand is that the draft is not an exact science. At #27 there may be 10-15 guys available who all grade out about the same. Unless you believe that one of those guys is significantly better than the others, it just makes sense to trade down and get more picks. Oftentimes you may even get the same player you were going to pick anyway. Take 2010 for example...The Patriots were ready to pick up McCourty at #21 but thought he would still be available later. They traded down twice (to #24 and then to #27) and still got McCourty but they also got a bunch of picks as well. THAT'S VALUE! Does BB hit on all his picks....No, obviously not. But his methodology is brilliant. He knows he's not going to hit on all his picks so he gives himself extra room to fail. He essentially has twice the room for error as everybody else. This will be the 4th year in a row where he had 4 picks over the first two rounds. If BB hits on 50% of his picks, he'll walk away with the same number of players as the teams that hit on 100% of theirs. In the years he gets lucky and his percentage is higher (like in 2010), he walks away with twice the players. He manipulates the draft like savvy Madden players manipulate the draft on franchise mode......and its a beautiful thing to watch. I can't wait to see what we do in the draft.

I disagree...Picking at 27th and 31st, Belichick will still trade down (which I love, btw) if he can find the right trading partner which might be harder now that Al Davis is gone. The thing that people don't understand is that the draft is not an exact science. At #27 there may be 10-15 guys available who all grade out about the same. Unless you believe that one of those guys is significantly better than the others, it just makes sense to trade down and get more picks. Oftentimes you may even get the same player you were going to pick anyway. Take 2010 for example...The Patriots were ready to pick up McCourty at #21 but thought he would still be available later. They traded down twice (to #24 and then to #27) and still got McCourty but they also got a bunch of picks as well. THAT'S VALUE! Does BB hit on all his picks....No, obviously not. But his methodology is brilliant. He knows he's not going to hit on all his picks so he gives himself extra room to fail. He essentially has twice the room for error as everybody else. This will be the 4th year in a row where he had 4 picks over the first two rounds. If BB hits on 50% of his picks, he'll walk away with the same number of players as the teams that hit on 100% of theirs. In the years he gets lucky and his percentage is higher (like in 2010), he walks away with twice the players. He manipulates the draft like savvy Madden players manipulate the draft on franchise mode......and its a beautiful thing to watch. I can't wait to see what we do in the draft.

Ummm if Bellie takes Clay matthews or trades up and gets Aldon Smith or Watt, he wins SB this year, yeah he is brilliant alright, BTW Mcshorty blows

Archived