The Official, why haven't we signed anyone yet thread

ZachEY

I agree. I'd rather have Nicks and JPP over that draft too. But, they were from different drafts and JPP was picked before the Jets were on the clock. Not sure how its their fault the Giants came away with a better player. lol

I just disagree with your whole take on the Jets lately and dont have the energy to argue but just for the record, both teams starting roster are comprised of equal amounts of FA vs. home grown talent. And the Giants finished a whole 1 game better than the Jets. This take that they are some elite stacked team is ridiculous. They got hot at the right time. Thats all. Its too funny that people forget the rumbling off Coughlin being fired after the loss at home to the Redskins. If the Jets had half a Qb, they'd have knocked them right out of playoff contention the following week.

I didn't call it the Jets fault. That's another thing you've just thrown into a debate to help make your point. You didn't agree that the Giants have drafted better recently, I pointed out some names.

I didn't say the Giants are elite and stacked either. That's another throw in by you.

I agree the Jets could be a real team with a QB, but that's the case for just about every team in the league, as QB is a rung and a half below "all that matters" based on the current state of the NFL.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike DeVito was picked up off the street too

As effective, different position

I like DeVito, but this is absurd.

DeVito doesn't equate to top 10 in receptions, 3rd in yards, top in YPC (over 50 receptions, 2nd for over 40), 4th in YPG, 6th in TDs, 3rd in 20+ yard receptions, and 2nd in 40+ yard receptions. Those are elite WR numbers. Devito is a solid starter.

I like DeVito, but this is absurd.

DeVito doesn't equate to top 10 in receptions, 3rd in yards, top in YPC (over 50 receptions, 2nd for over 40), 4th in YPG, 6th in TDs, 3rd in 20+ yard receptions, and 2nd in 40+ yard receptions. Those are elite WR numbers. Devito is a solid starter.

Again, when you have a pass happy offense, with a stud QB the numbers will be there.

Jets going really hard after … Drew Stanton

Posted by Evan Silva on March 15, 2012, 10:17 AM EDT

drew-stanton-pic.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

The Jets have been willing to make big free agent splashes under G.M. Mike Tannenbaum. They’re not doing that this year.

Their top target looks to be free agent quarterback Drew Stanton. The Jets lost Chad Henne to the Jaguars, and they’re leafing through the likes of Chaz Schilens on the receiver market.

Per Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, the Jets phoned Stanton just minutes after free agency opened Tuesday afternoon.

They’ve been courting him ever since.

Birkett would be “surprised” if Stanton didn’t sign with the Jets.

We’d be surprised if he made an impact there.

Drew Stanton Tweets Excited for Jets Visit Today

Posted by Erik Manassy on Mar 15, 2012 in Player Tweets, Quick Tweets | 0 comments

large_Screen_285-200x200.jpg

The Jets are in the market for a back up QB for Mark Sanchez and Drew Stanton is visiting the Jets today.

Drew-Stanton3-318x500.png drewstanton Just crushed my 6am workout and now Im excited for my visit with @nyjets! Wheels up in 2 hours 3/15/12 9:32 AM

I think people are overrating the Giants' personnel moves.

The reason why they've won 2 SBs in 4 years is that they hit jackpot at the 2 most important components of the football team (QB and pass rush). That's it. Put Eli and the pass rushers on the Jets and the Jets are winning a championship.

I love Cruz and of course, he has talent, but much of what he's done is because of Eli. But, of course, he's a whole level or more above DeVito.

To be completely honest, while I'm usually all about FA, I was actually kind of hoping for a quieter one this year, and actually don't have a major issue how they're going about it. Granted, I think they still need to bring in a few guys at some key positions (safety, RT, WR), but if there's one thing that's become increasingly clear in the NFL, is outside of the rare instance, when breaking the bank on big contracts for FAs more often than not you're not going to get close to your money's worth. At this point in the year you're better off getting some solid players at cheaper rates to keep you from having major holes going into the draft, and then hitting the draft and UDFA hard. Of course that also means you need to actually come away with some worthwhile players from those period as well, but that's a whole different story.

The truth is, I'm not really sure what FAs have been signed so far that would have been great pickups for the Jets nor worth anywhere close to the money they signed for. Sure Mario Williams would have been a dream come true, but the Jets were never going to afford him, and the rest of FA has mostly been filled with some pretty unimpressive players getting enormous contracts. Once it became clear the Jets weren't making a move at QB in FA, there no longer become much of any reason to spend a ton of money in the opening days of FA. They still need to make a handful of moves before the draft, but I'm not expecting much beyond that.

Valid points, BG. But it has to be a little disconcerting that the Jets thus far do not seem to be making any effort to upgrade real alreas of need. The Jets may very well stand pat with Wayne Hunter at RT and have him face Mario Williams twice a year.

Yes, they need pass rushers, and no, they don't have to break the bank for Mario, but you don't hear any roomers about pass rushers. They were linked to Jarret, but he's more of a run stuffer and signed elsewhere. Then they re-signed Thomas.

It soulds like this is very much going to be the team in 2012 that it was in 2013 sans Plax. I wouldn't be surprised if Leonhard is re-signed and both him and Smith are the startings Safeties.

Thus, the hope for Jet fans would be that Sparano could somehow work magic and Sanchez takes a leap in his 4th year and be able to mask the clear deficiencies on the team, something he was incapable of doing in 2011.

Valid points, BG. But it has to be a little disconcerting that the Jets thus far do not seem to be making any effort to upgrade real alreas of need. The Jets may very well stand pat with Wayne Hunter at RT and have him face Mario Williams twice a year.

Yes, they need pass rushers, and no, they don't have to break the bank for Mario, but you don't hear any roomers about pass rushers. They were linked to Jarret, but he's more of a run stuffer and signed elsewhere. Then they re-signed Thomas.

It soulds like this is very much going to be the team in 2012 that it was in 2013 sans Plax. I wouldn't be surprised if Leonhard is re-signed and both him and Smith are the startings Safeties.

Thus, the hope for Jet fans would be that Sparano could somehow work magic and Sanchez takes a leap in his 4th year and be able to mask the clear deficiencies on the team, something he was incapable of doing in 2011.

You could be right, but the Jets are likely going to be walking out of this draft with a bigger class than we've seen from them in 6 years, so that could certainly cause some significant changes in this team. Plus it looks like the team is actually making more of an effort to develop their young players into filling the positions of their departed starters in recent times, while making the retaining of their own FAs their other top priority, as opposed to spending big money to replace them in FA. Of course it could be debated how well that's worked out to date and whether it will work with some of these guys in the future, but it's definitely seemed to be a shift in philosophy as far as that's concerned. Granted, this could end up completely blowing up in their face, but without making a move at QB, I'd just as soon rather see them give this a shot and try to develop a team with a long-term outlook rather than pissing away money on big FAs and building a win-now team that isn't going to win anything without a capable QB. Besides, the last thing the Jets need to be is the team so over-loaded with future years' contract money that they're already spending all of the money in the upcoming big cap bump that hasn't even happened yet.

They were linked to Jarret, but he's more of a run stuffer and signed elsewhere. Then they re-signed Thomas.

the order is backward. the Jets resigned Thomas, without another bidder, Jarrett then signed with SD. but Thomas signed first.

To be completely honest, while I'm usually all about FA, I was actually kind of hoping for a quieter one this year, and actually don't have a major issue how they're going about it. Granted, I think they still need to bring in a few guys at some key positions (safety, RT, WR), but if there's one thing that's become increasingly clear in the NFL, is outside of the rare instance, when breaking the bank on big contracts for FAs more often than not you're not going to get close to your money's worth. At this point in the year you're better off getting some solid players at cheaper rates to keep you from having major holes going into the draft, and then hitting the draft and UDFA hard. Of course that also means you need to actually come away with some worthwhile players from those period as well, but that's a whole different story.

The truth is, I'm not really sure what FAs have been signed so far that would have been great pickups for the Jets nor worth anywhere close to the money they signed for. Sure Mario Williams would have been a dream come true, but the Jets were never going to afford him, and the rest of FA has mostly been filled with some pretty unimpressive players getting enormous contracts. Once it became clear the Jets weren't making a move at QB in FA, there no longer become much of any reason to spend a ton of money in the opening days of FA. They still need to make a handful of moves before the draft, but I'm not expecting much beyond that.

I agree. Obviously this thread is a joke. I did not want the Jets to make a big splash, but at this point, there have been no upgrades and some glaring holes.

I was never hoping for Mario Williams or Nicks or Vincent Jackson, or any other huge name, but a Reggie Nelson type player would be a big addition to this team without shelling out huge dollars. So would some Offensive Line Depth.

I agree. Obviously this thread is a joke. I did not want the Jets to make a big splash, but at this point, there have been no upgrades and some glaring holes.

I was never hoping for Mario Williams or Nicks or Vincent Jackson, or any other huge name, but a Reggie Nelson type player would be a big addition to this team without shelling out huge dollars. So would some Offensive Line Depth.

Oh yeah, I'm well aware, and that post wasn't particularly directed at you. I do agree with the type of signings you're talking about, and think we'll still see some of them, but I think the Jets are just trying to take it slow to kick things off. I think they've finally learned that if you rush into a FA signing, even if it's on one of the second tier guys, you're giving up leverage and going to end up paying a lot more than if you waited around for a few days to let things cool down, even for that very same guy. Not to mention, you have to think the Jets are deliberately being much more cautious in how they approach FAs given the way the whole Asomugha debacle went for them last year.

I still expect those types of signings to happen. There is a very good chance that they dont address any needs in FA until after the draft. I'm sure the Jets did their due diligence and didnt see the point in breaking the bank on questionable players.

Personally, I'd like to add a Reggie Nelson, a decent RT and a decent WR just to give us some flexibility in the draft but it wont be the end of the world if we dont.

Archived