Santana Moss Speaks

Smizzy

Q&A With Santana Moss

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

March 10, 2005

Santana Moss spoke with Redskins.com shortly after his introductory press conference at Redskins Park on Thursday:

Q: With the Jets willing to trade you, do you feel like you have something to prove?

A: "Not at all. I know the reason behind all of this. And I know how the league works. We had a lot of great players on the Jets that went on to other teams, so with that in mind, you know that in this league it can be [uncertain] as to where you play year-in and year-out. I don't even worry about that part of the game."

Santana Moss

Q: It was a missed field goal that kept you and the Jets out of the AFC Championship game last January. Did you feel like you had a lot to do with getting the Jets in that position?

A: "I don't talk much about myself and what I've done. But if you watch the games and what I've done, I've strived to make the plays to us a chance. A lot of other guys stepped up to do the same thing. I was a team guy and we all contributed, but every opportunity I had to help the team, I took advantage of it."

Q: In coming to Washington, do you see an opportunity to become the No. 1 receiver on this team?A: "It's a big opportunity. But when I look at receivers, sometimes a No. 3 receiver can look like a No. 1 receiver. It depends on how teams use each guy. It's not about what number you are, it's about just taking advantage of every opportunity that you're given and going out and doing the best with it. Players can be what [coaches] allow them to be. If I had the chance to be something bigger, then I would have been bigger. That's why I don't worry about what expectations are--I just worry about what I'm allowed to do."

Q: Everyone knows about your speed. What else in your game do you feel you bring to the table?

A: "Coaches would always ask me what outside of my speed do I have. I think to me, I use to my advantage my route-running. I run some good routes. I watch other players, old and present, and take something from them and try it out in my game. That's what I have always done. I remember myself in high school when I played for a school where we were an option team and I never really had the ball thrown my way. But when it was time to throw the ball, people always wondered how I was so prepared. I just stayed focused and made sure I was ready for the opportunity. My job is to separate myself from the defender, so catching the ball wouldn't be a problem."

Q: Were you close with Laveranues Coles in New York?

A: "To be honest, when I was in New York, he was the guy who took me under his wing and told me he was going to help me adjust to this league. He told me, 'Hey, just be yourself and have fun.' I'm the type of guy, I keep to myself, but when I'm around the people who I'm accustomed to, I'm more comfortable."

Q: Did you and Coles talk over the course of the last few weeks?

A: "One time we talked about what was going on. I had heard from some other people that he wanted out [of Washington]. It wasn't really in my hands and I wasn't worried about it. I just focused on whoever has the chance to have me, I'm going to come and give my all."

Q: It was reported in New York newspapers that you expressed some concern to the Jets last season that you felt you weren't getting the ball enough. Did it concern you at all that Coles was unhappy in a Redskins offense that wasn't as successful in the downfield passing game?A: "The reason why it doesn't concern me was because of his numbers. He had opportunities. He had 100-plus balls thrown his way last year and I had 60-plus balls thrown my way. So when you look at those numbers, I don't see this offense as conservative. Last year, there were times when I was out there and I just wanted the ball. I wanted to do something. I wanted to feel I was a part of it."

Q: Were you told of the story about how this team considered drafting you in 2001?A: "I remember that the whole time, it was 'Washington is going to draft you.' The day of the draft, I went to New York. I'm pleased that this organization has always had its eye on me. They told me the whole story behind that draft and now I get the opportunity to see what they wanted out of me."

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=6133

Last year, there were times when I was out there and I just wanted the ball. I wanted to do something. I wanted to feel I was a part of it

You wanted to do something??

What? Run out of bounds? Short arm the pass? Bounce it off your face mask?

:roll:

It seems like all Santana ever did was catch a punt and take two steps and step out of bounds. If a ball was thrown over his head in the middle of the field there were times he wouldent even go for the ball insted he would just watch it get picked off.

say what you want, I am and always will be a S. Moss fan...as Hermanator said, he was a much more explosive player at UM and if he wasn't utilized correctly in the NFL, its not his fault...you want to say he kept running out of bounds, I don't dissagree with that..I noticed that this year also, how can I not...but I also remember the previous year when he ran a couple back...I can't say what happened to change his appraoch, but I am gratefull for what he gave us while he was here

scoff all you want, I will miss him in green & white

I agree. he was very smart and un bitter about everything in that interview. these guys want to see him in a field in overalls picking cotton it seems

BUT Santana is a classy guy, despite what's been said here about his on the field performance. He's a good kid and I wish him the best with his career.

Santana really took big credibility hits by not taking hits on the field. Never understood that. But the guy was a class act off the field with his actions and his latest farewell speech was just another example. I wish him well.

While I'll always be disappointed in what came of Santana's time here (I was literally jumping up and down when we drafted him) I think he handled himself very well in this interview. Coles just makes more sense for the Jets if the choice comes down to these two players.

Good luck Santana.

alot of you guys are real @ssholes, this kid is nothing but class..did you read anything he said??

compare that to other players traded or cut

it still boggles my mind that you all hated Hackett yet you bash players for not excelling in his system

thats ridiculous, watch Tan blow up over in DC

I just hope Turdy holds up his end of teh deal

you can go on wfan and hear the interview he did with joe benigno....good interview....he says he's a NEW YORKER now cause he's been here so long...

alot of you guys are real @ssholes, this kid is nothing but class..did you read anything he said??

it still boggles my mind that you all hated Hackett yet you bash players for not excelling in his system

Aye Papi, you tell'm homie!

I loved Santana as much as anyone when he was here up until last season when for the exception of 2 or 3 punts he ran to the sideline or fair caught it every single time. Santana also with his injuries and his size just isn't a true #1 WR.

:lol::lol: Classic Troll!

That being said, Santana, while not what we expected him to be, was nothing but class and didn't seem bitter. He could be hiding it, but eh, he's gone now. Now, we're back to Laveranues Coleslaw :D

You mean that 1 time, should've been 2 time Pro Bowl WR who will make his 2nd Pro Bowl trip this season? Yeah I'd like him over Moss any day.

better watch all this Moss bashing if history is any guide he will be a JET again in about 3 years after Snyder threatens to bench him for the rest of his contract

hope so Bit, I think I'll hold on to my 83's for a while

the guy played and plated hard and NEVER did anything detrimental to the team, other have been assholes while here and not played (abe) when they should have etc, etc etc

this kid is still talking positively even after he was traded and no one gives him love

he may not have been the best receiver we ever had, but there is absolutely no reason to bash him on the way out, he deserves more respect tahn that all the way

Yes, Santana was indeed a class act on his way out the door. That doesn't change the fact that most Jet fans feel his departure for Coles IMMEDIATELY makes the Jets a better team.

And I'm sorry Bro, but if you think he's going to "blow up" down here in Run-Run-Land you are truly fooling yourself. Something would have to really shake up the mindset of Joe Gibbs to allow that to happen. The odds just don't favor that.

And here's a kicker too....word down here is the Skins are still looking WR at #9. If either Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards is there, the Skins could take them.

That would make their WR core, according to Gibbs and this rumour:

Williams/Edwards WR

David Patten WR

Santana Moss WR

James Thrash WR

Taylor Jacobs WR

Darnerian McCants WR

That's alot of #2 and #3 WR's for one roster on a Run first, run second, run third and maybe pass once in while style offense. Gibbs has already confirmed (well, verbally confirmed, no real guarantee of course) that Jacobs, Thrash, and McCarnts will be on the roster in 2005. Add in Moss and Patten....and Moss oculd be lost in the considerable crowd.

Yes, Santana was indeed a class act on his way out the door. That doesn't change the fact that most Jet fans feel his departure for Coles IMMEDIATELY makes the Jets a better team.

And I'm sorry Bro, but if you think he's going to "blow up" down here in Run-Run-Land you are truly fooling yourself. Something would have to really shake up the mindset of Joe Gibbs to allow that to happen. The odds just don't favor that.

And here's a kicker too....word down here is the Skins are still looking WR at #9. If either Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards is there, the Skins could take them.

That would make their WR core, according to Gibbs and this rumour:

Williams/Edwards WR

David Patten WR

Santana Moss WR

James Thrash WR

Taylor Jacobs WR

Darnerian McCants WR

That's alot of #2 and #3 WR's for one roster on a Run first, run second, run third and maybe pass once in while style offense. Gibbs has already confirmed (well, verbally confirmed, no real guarantee of course) that Jacobs, Thrash, and McCarnts will be on the roster in 2005. Add in Moss and Patten....and Moss oculd be lost in the considerable crowd.

doubt it dood, why trade for him then? rumor also has it that they are giving him a fat extension soon

so something has to give

I also agree that Coles over Moss is a no brainer, I also agree that Tan never got the chance to do what he's capable of for us, I also agree that he was injured too much and maybe it was time to move on, nut most of all I agree that when a player leaves that underachieved but never did anything detrimental and showed as much class on the way out as he did...he should get more respect than he has

not love, just respect and best wishes that's all

remember what Coles said on HIS way out the door and compare them to Tan's comments and you'll see what I mean, and with that here's to a great season with my buddy La Turdius

Archived