Here's some actual football insight

Obrien2Toon

You use the WORD QB very lightly here . Tim tebow is NOT an NFL caliber QB he does however happen to be a very good football player who could probably help a team if he changes positions. Lining him up in multiple areas could help playing him at QB is a joke. Sorry ...I really like the guy but hes not an NFL caliber QB and thats all there is too it/

Wow you go both ways?

Anyone remember when a 2 QB system worked? Even in a situational position?

Once with Miami and they both sucked but the team had a good defense. 1982 I believe Strock and Woodley If I remember correctly . They beat us in the mudbowl and went to the SB and lost bad to the Redskins and John Riggins at 800 years old

What success? One OT pass against Pitt in a defense that had everyone shaking their heads?

Didn't Tebow's team...win that game? Didn't he put up 316/2 in his passing stats ANYWAY? Not to mention ran for 5 YPC and a TD...

I don't even like these guys and common fuxkin sense says they traded for a productive player with plenty of room to go up as a player.

Matt found the You Tube vid and CTM made the gif.

Too bad he might take Rex with him.

All we can do is hope the Jets coaching staff plays this smart. If Tebow claims he will do anything for the team then he should have no problems playing other positions such as H-Back so many differnt things they can do with both him and mark on the field at the same time to create problems fior the defense. I would be willing to bet Tebow is the best RB on our Team.

Anyone remember when a 2 QB system worked? Even in a situational position?

2009 Jets laid waste to the Bengals with ease just using their WC QB doing most of the lifting. Or was that 2010? Does it matter?

Let me guess...despite what both Rex and Tannenbaum said...Tebow is actually going to be a platoon passer here more than anything else...if not he starter. Yuch and a yuch yuch.

Brown runs Smart Football and generally knows his sh*t inside and out.

That said, Grantland is a loathsome slimepit of pretentious white middlebrow hackery. I'm sure it's a deliberate editorial decision that a lengthy, well-considered article defending the Jets is buried so deep within the site that one has to search for it. Reminds me of last season, when Simmons deigned to explain to us mortals (both in a series of brainless tweets and on his weekly "Who Needs Evidence When You Can Just Say Stuff" podcast with Mike Lombardi) that the Holmes thing was being overblown (?) and that the real reason the Jets collapsed was because Rex had no idea how to coach defense, with the Tebow run serving as prima facie evidence. This despite employing a former editor of Football Outsiders, a site whose numbers (which Simmons will gleefully cite to reinforce the greatness of Brady and TEH GRAWNK) had the Jets as one of the two or three best defenses in football last season. Way to sandbag your NFL writer, editor-in-chief.

Simmons is a sniveling cumrag and I hope Zombie Grantland Rice staggers out of his grave to sue him into bankruptcy and undead buttsecks him.

I read this three times because I loved it so much. This, this is art.

I base my opinion on Tebow from actully watching Tebow play . Funny whoever wrote that article thinks this is a REX experiment when in fact its a Woody Johnson Experiment which will probably run his Idiot GM and Semi idiot HC out of town

Yet you watch Sanchez play and see stud.

What success? One OT pass against Pitt in a defense that had everyone shaking their heads?

Was that it? Just one OT pass? He took a 1-4 team that was going nowhere to a divisional title and a first round win against the steelers. It was not pretty at times and he was fortunate that the AFC west was pretty lousy but he still won it. He beat the jets with a 95 yard drive to win the game, he beat Chicago, he did some really good things. Is he limited in his throwing? YES. He is a work in progress but he is a fierce competitor and will do anything to win. Lets see how the Jets use him and how it works before we assume it's going to fail. I am not a fan of Tannebaum but I see this as a low risk move that may yield significant on field success.

So now Grantland is the source du jour for expert football analysis? Or is this just the one article you people could find to somehow justify your delusions?

Not grantland per se, but Chris Brown and his site Smartfootball are the best around. I've coached for 20+ years and I still use his site for simplistic ways he breaks down complex stuff.

Was that it? Just one OT pass? He took a 1-4 team that was going nowhere to a divisional title and a first round win against the steelers. It was not pretty at times and he was fortunate that the AFC west was pretty lousy but he still won it. He beat the jets with a 95 yard drive to win the game, he beat Chicago, he did some really good things. Is he limited in his throwing? YES. He is a work in progress but he is a fierce competitor and will do anything to win. Lets see how the Jets use him and how it works before we assume it's going to fail. I am not a fan of Tannebaum but I see this as a low risk move that may yield significant on field success.

So why didn't Denver keep him around? Are the Jets the only smart team to play situational football?

Timmy is a nice wrinkle in the offense and with Sporano as the OC I think the spread is going to be our bread and butter. Also I don't think that Shotty used Mark right, as you can plainly see he is so much better as a roll out qb and, granted last year he had no protection on his throwing side, but if Vlad develops or they draft a guard first round, this wrinkle could do wonders for the passing game and make the offense a hell of a lot more dangerous. I think we've got the guy all wrong that is worried about Tebow, it's not Mark, it should be easy to see that it's Shonn Greene whose got his days under the microscope. Timmy has better moves and plays the same style of football. And he can pass. Sorta. Big winners here: Keller and Holmes.

Not grantland per se, but Chris Brown and his site Smartfootball are the best around. I've coached for 20+ years and I still use his site for simplistic ways he breaks down complex stuff.

Yeah, I love Smartfootball. I didn't make the association until batesman mentioned it. That Brady line I quoted seems like the last thing smartfootball would ever write. Weird.

i was sayin this the other day...

.. even if tebow never takes a snap it will help sanchez because the threat of tebow running a spread will force d-cord's to prepare for tebow, which will take away from a game plan revolved around stopping sanchez

They signed arguably the greatest QB of all time for almost 20 million a year?

I know, but still doesn't hurt to have him around, no? Good for the locker room, good backup, maybe have a few 'wrinkles' for him. NFL can't lose with a Manning/Tebow Superbowl, no?

No. Why would they voluntarily take the ball out of Manning's hands?

I thought it took away from the running backs touches, there's a difference between run and pass, no? Somebody told me that on here yesterday....besides I heard he's a 'winner' and do anything the coach wants him to do, sounds like a all win for the Broncos.

So why didn't Denver keep him around? Are the Jets the only smart team to play situational football?

You are not going to play situational football with Peyton Manning as your starting QB. He is going to take every snap assuming he is healthy. Manning probably said he wouldn't sign in Denver if Tebow was still on the team, not because he has any thing personal against the kid but just because of the potential distractions that comes with Tebow and his followers.

Regardless of what reference they want to give to the Jets offense when Tebow takes the snap, the fact remains his presence demands to have much more attention paid to him than the average signal caller. This obviously can create big holes in a defense. Throw in the core of very good O line and we've got some sincere tools to throw some points on the board. TT one on one with most defenders is a match-up I like a lot.

You are not going to play situational football with Peyton Manning as your starting QB. He is going to take every snap assuming he is healthy. Manning probably said he wouldn't sign in Denver if Tebow was still on the team, not because he has any thing personal against the kid but just because of the potential distractions that comes with Tebow and his followers.

Interesting, thanks.

I thought it took away from the running backs touches, there's a difference between run and pass, no? Somebody told me that on here yesterday....besides I heard he's a 'winner' and do anything the coach wants him to do, sounds like a all win for the Broncos.

What? Doesn't it tell you something about your point when you have to play stupid to make it? Why the ****** would they think about taking Manning off the field now that they have him?

I know, but still doesn't hurt to have him around, no? Good for the locker room, good backup, maybe have a few 'wrinkles' for him. NFL can't lose with a Manning/Tebow Superbowl, no?

Laugh all you want. When Timmy flattens a linebacker and you think Mark's running a keeper and then hits Santonio crossing underneath for a 30 yarder, you'll remember this moment :)

Didn't Tebow's team...win that game? Didn't he put up 316/2 in his passing stats ANYWAY? Not to mention ran for 5 YPC and a TD...

I don't even like these guys and common fuxkin sense says they traded for a productive player with plenty of room to go up as a player.

Yep he was productive...so much so that the Broncos plan up until the Monday of that week was to start Quinn and bring Tebow in on 3rd and short downs ONLY.

We already have a QB that we hope has plenty of room for growth. Adding a 2nd one to the roster does nothing to help the 1st one. If we had not extended Sanchez OR were planning using Tebow primarily as something other than a QB I would be all in on this. As a fan I will root for this to succeed but is a stupid move if only for what it does to a already shaky locker room and QB....never mind the fact that the guy cannot actually play QB.

I am also unconvinced that having a competent and competitive backup will have a deleterious effect on Sanchez's performance, that he'll be looking over his shoulder at Tebow and his supporters and that his play will suffer solely for that reason. Winning will silence all criticism, and Sanchez, even more than Tebow, was a top-end draft choice selected to become a great quarterback and is paid a great deal of money to become one. If Tebow's presence is anything but a motivator for Sanchez in the hyper-competitive world of the NFL, then Jets fans are better off without him.

good read thanks

Archived