JETS Sign Rugby Star Hayden Smith

Ken Schroy

What are the Saracens? Isn't that who Kirk and the rest of the Enterprise fought in the Seach for Spock?

Regardless mate, "perspective" and "hating" seem to be one in the same when talking about Tebow, and now our Big Aussie mule.

If you tread carefully we'll become fast friends. If not.. well, lets hope that doesn't happen.

What do you expect - he's a Brit - they hate Aussies!!! They're the one's who banished all their prisoners there as a penal colony and then got pissed cause all the hot chicks moved to be with the inmates. Now, they're stuck back at England with bad teeth and fat chicks. True story mate.

What do you expect - he's a Brit - they hate Aussies!!! They're the one's who banished all their prisoners there as a penal colony and then got pissed cause all the hot chicks moved to be with the inmates. Now, they're stuck back at England with bad teeth and fat chicks. True story mate.

Not sure if this is historically accurate mate but perhaps our new friend can enlighten us.

Ha....not entirely accurate but it does have some truth in it....as for bad teeth & fat chicks...the last time i was in Florida it didnt strike me as exactly being the slimming capital of the western world...but i didnt come on here to throw cultural insults...just some friendly banter about the Jets. :winking0001:

Ha....not entirely accurate but it does have some truth in it....as for bad teeth & fat chicks...the last time i was in Florida it didnt strike me as exactly being the slimming capital of the western world...but i didnt come on here to throw cultural insults...just some friendly banter about the Jets. :winking0001:

cultural insults are more fun though.

I'll concede your point on the Florida Fatties. A poster here by the name of JiF can attest to the fact that Jacksonville Fl is the cellulite capital of the northern hemisphere.

Do you know Simon Cowell?

cultural insults are more fun though.

I'll concede your point on the Florida Fatties. A poster here by the name of JiF can attest to the fact that Jacksonville Fl is the cellulite capital of the northern hemisphere.

Do you know Simon Cowell?

No...but i did once go out with a girl who faintly resembled him...not one of my finer moments i'm afraid...

This guy is totally worth a 3 year non-guaranteed flyer, anyone who think this is not the case is not paying attention to the NFL or my articles sadly. bHAHA. Keller has run his course and never progressed past a good NFL tight end. Special tight ends today are built like this guy. Quick enough to beat LBs and big enough to run over a safety. Project yes but if he hits we will loving this guy on 3rd down and in the red zone. Just ask Saint fans.

the fact that he was born in Aus and plays for the USA Eagles pretty much says it all.

this guy is probably a real long shot. the American rugby team is not a serious side in the world of Rugby Union. If he was from the New Zealand, South African, Australian or Welsh side there'd be real serious upside there. America is not even close to that level of athleticism. They get creamed. It's not all cultural either like in soccer how the US Has decent athletes but the world knows how to play the game better. American Rugby gets creamed. to put it perspective, Canada is way better.

Not saying he can't make it but he's got alot to learn, not alot of time to learn it and he's going to be competing against world class athletes all trying to make paydays in preseason. If I were a defenders agent I'd tell him to win his matchups against the American rugby player.

the fact that he was born in Aus and plays for the USA Eagles pretty much says it all.

this guy is probably a real long shot. the American rugby team is not a serious side in the world of Rugby Union. If he was from the New Zealand, South African, Australian or Welsh side there'd be real serious upside there. America is not even close to that level of athleticism. They get creamed. It's not all cultural either like in soccer how the US Has decent athletes but the world knows how to play the game better. American Rugby gets creamed. to put it perspective, Canada is way better.

Not saying he can't make it but he's got alot to learn, not alot of time to learn it and he's going to be competing against world class athletes all trying to make paydays in preseason. If I were a defenders agent I'd tell him to win his matchups against the American rugby player.

Every thing you are saying is 100% correct, but there is one element that you are omitting. This guy was just introduced to rugby .....what? Two years ago? He achieved enough to to play right below the best.

He won himself a free college education as a basketball player.

Guy seems to be a freak athlete with no football experience. Odds are he'll either be on the PS, or off the Jets in Sept. There is always the chance he can convert that athletic ability into football. Catching the ball and running over people.

Long shot, but fun to watch

I disagree about our athletes not being as good as other teams. Most Americans don't play rugby till their late teens or early 20s so they don't know the game as well as other countries. In the 20s when rugby was a normal sport in America we won the olympic gold two times in a row but then stop really playing it much again until the 70s but really didn't start promoting it or developing it until the 90s. The team is still no where near as good as the top teams but we are in the second level with Canada and a handful of other teams. Canada is not even close to be way better then us. In the last 10 years we've been quite close to them and beat them a few times.

But I agree you dont leave the Aussies team to play for the Eagles on a national level. It would be like leaving the Pats to play for the Jets.

But I agree you dont leave the Aussies team to play for the Eagles on a national level. It would be like leaving the Pats to play for the Jets.

If he could make the AUS national team (or even be considered in their player pool) no way he leaves the sport. Those guys are rock stars.

im not trying to rain on anyone's parade just trying to give a little context. Also calling a guy who played for a couple seasons at a marginal level "a star" (as Cimini has referred to him "rugby star") is being generous.

If he could make the AUS national team (or even be considered in their player pool) no way he leaves the sport. Those guys are rock stars.

im not trying to rain on anyone's parade just trying to give a little context. Also calling a guy who played for a couple seasons at a marginal level "a star" (as Cimini has referred to him "rugby star") is being generous.

I completely agree

3 year deal ? wtf ? he has no chance of beating out cumberland. waste of time

Team will carry more than 2 T.E.'s.

Last year they carried at least 3 - Keller, Mulligan, Cumberland. Probably at least 4... wasn't Baker on the roster, too? Or was that only after Cumberland went down?

Point being we've got 1 roster spot at TE open and that's the bare minimum. Not to mention Cumberland's injury, I'm not sure how serious that was or whether it'll keep him out awhile this year.

Plus we probably won't carry many receivers this year... probably go with 4 there or 5 max (Holmes, Kerley, Schillens, Turner, draft pick (?))

Smith offers Jets power, raw potential as tight end

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 5:29 AM, April 5, 2012

Posted: 1:20 AM, April 5, 2012

More icon_print.gif Print

When Tim Brewster got the call in February, he was not sure what to expect. Sports agent Jack Bechta phoned the longtime football coach to ask him if he would be willing to train one of his new clients.

Bechta explained this client was a rugby player interested in playing football and Brewster had met him years before: Hayden Smith.

When Brewster heard the name he remembered an Australian basketball player at Metro State in Denver when Brewster was a Broncos assistant. Smith was a gangly 6-foot-6 and 220 pounds when Brewster first met him. So when he got off the plane in San Diego to work with Smith and saw him, he was shocked.

05.1s.099.smith.BW--300x300.jpg

AP

FACEMASK: Hayden Smith played with the U.S. National Rugby Team in the 2011 World Cup before switching sports and trying to make it as an NFL tight end with the Jets.

“I said, ‘Wow, this kid is an absolute physical specimen,’ ” Brewster, a college football analyst for Fox Sports, said. “He’s 6-foot-6. He’s 265 pounds. He doesn’t have an ounce of fat on his body. He’s very athletic.”

Brewster spent a week in California working with Smith, an aspiring tight end, doing drills and classroom work to teach him football. This week, the Jets agreed to a three-year contract with Smith, taking a chance that Brewster’s pupil can turn into an NFL player.

Based on my being with the kid for a week and knowing what I know, there’s zero reason why he’s not going to play for the New York Jets,” Brewster said. “He could be an outstanding player in the National Football League.”

Brewster has spent five years as an NFL assistant and was most recently the head coach at the University of Minnesota. He is credited with helping Antonio Gates transform from basketball player to Pro Bowl tight end during his time with the Chargers.

Smith presented Brewster with an interesting challenge. The Australian became a rugby player after his college days, playing first for the U.S. national team and then professionally in England.

Brewster put him through two practice sessions per day in San Diego, running routes and catching passes from Chiefs quarterback Ricky Stanzi. He also had daily weight-training sessions and then classroom time at night when Brewster would test Smith.

“I threw a ton of stuff at this kid,” Brewster said. “What immediately got my attention is he’s a one-time learner. He gets it. Football makes sense to the kid. He was able to carry what I taught him in the classroom setting to the field. That’s a great indicator of a guy’s ability to intellectually handle what you’re trying to get done.”

As for Smith’s toughness, Brewster said you can’t question someone who has played rugby on an elite level. Smith can take a hit. Brewster said he spoke with the Redskins, Eagles and Cowboys about Smith before he signed with the Jets.

“All those people wanted Hayden,” Brewster said. “But the Jets stepped up and he felt really good about [head coach] Rex Ryan. He loved his meetings with Rex Ryan. He loved his attitude, his temperament. He really felt like he connected with Rex Ryan.”

There will be some growing pains, Brewster acknowledges. Getting used to the tempo of the game will be difficult. But Brewster said he believes Smith has the ability and desire to be on the Jets’ roster when the season begins in September.

“It’s not going to happen overnight for him,” Brewster said. “I would love to coach the kid. He’s got every single tool that you’re looking for in a National Football League tight end — excellent hands, the big body. I really feel like this guy has a chance to be a true three-down tight end in the National Football League.”

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/tight_squeeze_7VkC8O5veoQ6Ri9Rj39wrO#ixzz1rAD5UVwA

Team will carry more than 2 T.E.'s.

Last year they carried at least 3 - Keller, Mulligan, Cumberland. Probably at least 4... wasn't Baker on the roster, too? Or was that only after Cumberland went down?

Point being we've got 1 roster spot at TE open and that's the bare minimum. Not to mention Cumberland's injury, I'm not sure how serious that was or whether it'll keep him out awhile this year.

Plus we probably won't carry many receivers this year... probably go with 4 there or 5 max (Holmes, Kerley, Schillens, Turner, draft pick (?))

The problem though is there's certainly not room for all of those guys. Sure the Jets could carry up to 4 TEs, but of the 4 they currently have on the team (Keller, Cumberland, Baker, Hayden), not a single one of them can block for sh*t. You can't have every one of your TEs be one-dimensional receivers, particularly when 3 of them are completely unproven as even that. That's an even bigger issue when you consider the ground and pound mentality of the Jets' offense. They're going to be bringing in more candidates to help fill that role, probably between late in the draft, UDFA and some low level FAs still to come, which means less room for everyone.

The problem though is there's certainly not room for all of those guys. Sure the Jets could carry up to 4 TEs, but of the 4 they currently have on the team (Keller, Cumberland, Baker, Hayden), not a single one of them can block for sh*t. You can't have every one of your TEs be one-dimensional receivers, particularly when 3 of them are completely unproven as even that. That's an even bigger issue when you consider the ground and pound mentality of the Jets' offense. They're going to be bringing in more candidates to help fill that role, probably between late in the draft, UDFA and some low level FAs still to come, which means less room for everyone.

Amazing how you're able to a$$ertain that neither Cumberland, or our new Aussie Mule are unable to block considering Cumberland played 3 snaps last year and you didn't know who Hayden Smith was until 15 minutes ago.

Amazing how you're able to a$$ertain that neither Cumberland, or our new Aussie Mule are unable to block considering Cumberland played 3 snaps last year and you didn't know who Hayden Smith was until 15 minutes ago.

Cumberland is a WR playing TE who's blocking was widely criticized last year throughout camp and preseason and Smith has never even tried to block a kicker never mind a DE. While there's a chance they could suddenly become dominant blockers, there's little reason to believe it will happen, and you certainly can't count on it.

Hayden shouldn't have a problem blocking, running with the ball or tackling because he does all them playing rugby. There's no blocking in rugby but rucking is similar and can easily be translated into blocking. The biggest problem Hayden is going to have is running routes.

Hayden shouldn't have a problem blocking, running with the ball or tackling because he does all them playing rugby. There's no blocking in rugby but rucking is similar and can easily be translated into blocking. The biggest problem Hayden is going to have is running routes.

Run blocking may not be a huge issue, but pass blocking is a whole different world. That's not to say he can't potentially get there eventually, but it's not something you count on out of a guy who will be a few months into his football-playing life.

Run blocking may not be a huge issue, but pass blocking is a whole different world. That's not to say he can't potentially get there eventually, but it's not something you count on out of a guy who will be a few months into his football-playing life.

I'm no rugby expert, but I'm gonna guess that trying to block Mario Williams is a little bit harder than anything Hayden Smith has ever done on a rugby pitch.

Aside from leverage, there is not a single similarity between rucking and runblocking.

I still play rugby (tighthead prop and number 8) and played fullback in American football and blocking is quite similar to rucking. They both take attitude, hand placement and leverage. If anything it will help him stay low considering he's so ******* tall.

I still play rugby (tighthead prop and number 8) and played fullback in American football and blocking is quite similar to rucking. They both take attitude, hand placement and leverage. If anything it will help him stay low considering he's so ******* tall.

Yep. Your right. After the ball snaps, He is going to wrap his arm around Brick, grab a hold of his jersey, and then together push Mario Williams off the pile of a tackled Shonn Greene. Sounds like what the Jets do already, so your right he'll fit right in.

Archived