Keller Wants A New Deal

JetNation

I don't think anyone will even slightly argue that Revis is a better CB than Keller a TE, but I think the point is that Keller's desire for a new contract has some merit to it, while Revis' really doesn't. Keller is in the final year of his rookie deal while Revis, despite being drafted only one year earlier and having his rookie deal set to expire the same time as Keller's, has already been given his second contract (after his second holdout), of which he has only played half of so far.

No it doesn't. Your logic is because Keller is still on his rookie contract, the Jets should now overpay him. Your point has NOTHING to do with actaul production of the each player. There's no reason to overpay a guy who can be replaced easily, has a habit of vaporlocking in games and isn't complete in his role.If you plug FA TE X in the same spot with Sanchez he will probably come close or even replicate Keller and may be he will block. Revis is the best player in the NFL at his position, Keller is arguably less than a JAG at his.

Meh. Keller never turned into that dynamic threat we all thought he could be....especially after the Patriots game he had his rookie season.

For his size, the explosiveness was just never really there. You look at him coming out of Purdue and you saw a matchup nightmare. In that aspect Keller really is a JAG considering he never developed into that.

Add in the fact he has a habit of tripping over lines and brain farts.

If the deal is reasonable I don't see why not. I'm thinking breakout year, though I do agree with RJF that they probably should have shopped him during the draft season. That said, it's understandable that they didn't given the TE depth here, in the draft (? I forget already), and in FA, where the oft-injured Carlson got paid really well.

No it doesn't. Your logic is because Keller is still on his rookie contract, the Jets should now overpay him. Your point has NOTHING to do with actaul production of the each player. There's no reason to overpay a guy who can be replaced easily, has a habit of vaporlocking in games and isn't complete in his role.If you plug FA TE X in the same spot with Sanchez he will probably come close or even replicate Keller and may be he will block. Revis is the best player in the NFL at his position, Keller is arguably less than a JAG at his.

Speaking of merit, your post lost any the second you completely invented an argument you claimed that I was making in order to justify your trashing of him. Where in the world did I ever say the Jets should overpay him? You couldn't be possibly more wrong about that considering if you go back and take a look, you'll see I was the very first person in this thread who said if Keller has big contract demands (which there's no evidence to suggest he does), then the Jets shouldn't give him a new deal. My point was simple, the guy who has a contract that is expiring has a valid reason to be interested in a new contract, a guy who can't be trusted to honor more than half of a contract absolutely doesn't, and I don't give a **** how good he is.

The thing that is so laughable about it is I never even said the Jets SHOULD give him any new deal, just that he has a legit reason to be interested in one, which should be a pretty indisputable point for anyone not blinded by hatred. Of course, if there was any question that your viewpoint was insanely biased, that got flushed down the toilet with your last asinine "less than a JAG" comment.

If the deal is reasonable I don't see why not. I'm thinking breakout year, though I do agree with RJF that they probably should have shopped him during the draft season. That said, it's understandable that they didn't given the TE depth here, in the draft (? I forget already), and in FA, where the oft-injured Carlson got paid really well.

What would you say is reasonable though? Celek got 6 years 33 mill...and I wouldnt even say Keller is as good as him.

Just giving a contract for the sake of it wouldmt make sense with Keller imo. He can be replaced through the draft. Unless of course him and Sanchez really click this season.

What would you say is reasonable though? Celek got 6 years 33 mill...and I wouldnt even say Keller is as good as him.

Just giving a contract for the sake of it wouldmt make sense with Keller imo. He can be replaced through the draft. Unless of course him and Sanchez really click this season.

Celek cashed in at the right time. Over the last two years, Keller is actually outproducing him. I don't know how that deal is structured, but I imagine that like most NFL deals that it balloons at the end... ?

That's more that I'd probably want to pay for Keller, but I don't think he'd be so easily replaced in the draft. You just don't see a lot of TEs coming out. The Jets might be wise to franchise him next year while simultaneously addressing the position in the draft. It's a tough call.

Celek cashed in at the right time. Over the last two years, Keller is actually outproducing him. I don't know how that deal is structured, but I imagine that like most NFL deals that it balloons at the end... ?

That's more that I'd probably want to pay for Keller, but I don't think he'd be so easily replaced in the draft. You just don't see a lot of TEs coming out. The Jets might be wise to franchise him next year while simultaneously addressing the position in the draft. It's a tough call.

Unless Maybin blows up and they can't get him locked up, Keller is probably the most likely franchise candidate for next year, particularly if Sanchez is still entrenched as the starter. Like it or not, Keller has been far and away his favorite target.

Celek came on strong again at the end of last season(Eric Smith will do that, too) but the thing he has on Keller is that he blocks and he's like 6'5.

Keller's height and inability to really block...I just see the Jets passing on.

Unless Maybin blows up and they can't get him locked up, Keller is probably the most likely franchise candidate for next year, particularly if Sanchez is still entrenched as the starter. Like it or not, Keller has been far and away his favorite target.

True about Maybin, but I think the Jets would also be more likely to aggressively try to sign him, and he might also be very interested in sticking with the Jets after the sh*tty start to his career.

I think I like Keller more than most people here, but signing him to a $5M/year deal does seem a little high.

True about Maybin, but I think the Jets would also be more likely to aggressively try to sign him, and he might also be very interested in sticking with the Jets after the sh*tty start to his career.

I think I like Keller more than most people here, but signing him to a $5M/year deal does seem a little high.

Yeah, pretty much agree with all of this, regarding both Keller and Maybin. Don't really get the hate on Keller, and thought he had a lot better season than he's been given credit for last year, but I wouldn't give him a whole ton of money either.

Keller's height and inability to really block...I just see the Jets passing on.

it's absolutely true that Keller isn't the type of player Sparano usually emphasizes as a TE. He wants guys like Anthony Fasano who can carry the load in run blocking. However if Sanchez has a breakout year and Keller is his security blanket, they can't let him go. I don't see anything wrong with tagging Keller when the time comes.

how is that possible? revis is the best player at his position in the league, and possibly the best defender in the league. They can replace Keller, they can't replace Revis.

have you seen what's behind keller on the depth chart ?

that's real leverage

Package trade. Sanchez and Keller for a package of Skittles and some tips from Dilfer.

Have to say that in next years draft there's at least two TEs I really really like. but do

Williams from Alabama and Eifert from ND.

I still say you try to lock Keller up to a mutually friendly deal, whatever number that is.

I like Fauria out of UCLA 6'7", 250+ with room on his frame to add more weight. Crazy athleticism and agility for his size, good hands and a beast once he's caught the ball. He hasn't even scratched the surface, having played in a crap offense with an even crappier QB.

I like Fauria out of UCLA 6'7", 250+ with room on his frame to add more weight. Crazy athleticism and agility for his size, good hands and a beast once he's caught the ball. He hasn't even scratched the surface, having played in a crap offense with an even crappier QB.

I actually think he's the top rated guy right now.

I actually think he's the top rated guy right now.

That doesn't surprise me. Despite not racking up the numbers due to the offense he was playing in, he looks like the perfect NFL TE. No way he lasts until late second round, where I would love to see the Jets take him, but if he turns out to be within reach he is a guy worth trading up for in the second round. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go as a late first, considering the premium on TE's nowadays.

Archived