Joe Klecko’s Son Commits To Rutgers

JetNation

Post image for Joe Klecko’s Son Commits To Rutgers

There was good news in the Klecko household on Wednesday as Joe Klecko’s son, Josh, committed to play football at Rutgers.  Josh, who attends Red Bank Catholic in NJ, will begin his senior year of high school in September.

From NJ.com:

Josh Klecko, a 6-foot-2, 235-pound rising senior at Red Bank Catholic and the son of former Jets standout Joe Klecko, capped a whirlwind recruiting day for Rutgers when he committed to the 2013 recruiting class on Wednesday.

“There were a lot of schools I loved but Rutgers really stood out to me because I loved the coaching staff,” Klecko said. “I knew and my dad knew that I’d be in good hands if I went to Rutgers. I just felt like Rutgers is a place where I can fit in and get my degree.”

An Asbury Park Press All-Shore first-team performer last fall, Klecko recorded 69 tackles in helping the Caseys to a 10-1 record and the No. 1 Shore Conference ranking in the APP.com Top 10.

If you are a Jets fan, you have heard this line before…

“A lot of colleges think I’m undersized,” Klecko said. “But I’m definitely going to prove them wrong in college. It should be fun. It means a lot to me that Rutgers went and offered me.”

Joe Klecko undersized his way to four Pro Bowls.  Josh Klecko’s older brother Dan undersized his way to three Super Bowl rings.  At some point people will stop putting undersized and Klecko in the same sentence.

Joe Klecko was not undersized ~30 years ago. What a stupid thing to write.

No sh*t..... Klecko and Gastineau were both huge DE's for their time when most were in the 260 range on the DL Klecko was 275 and gastineau was a monster at 285 which is still about the norm for DE's they were beasts. If Klecko could have stayed healthy he would have challenged for the GOAT to bad he had some bad knee injuries and still came back to be an all pro at DT. Shame Klecko does not get more mention because when healthy he was as dominant as I have ever seen

No sh*t..... Klecko and Gastineau were both huge DE's for their time when most were in the 260 range on the DL Klecko was 275 and gastineau was a monster at 285 which is still about the norm for DE's they were beasts. If Klecko could have stayed healthy he would have challenged for the GOAT to bad he had some bad knee injuries and still came back to be an all pro at DT. Shame Klecko does not get more mention because when healthy he was as dominant as I have ever seen

Further, it also hurts him that sacks didn't get officially counted in a full, injury-free season of his until he was 30. Based on that a youngster would be left with the impression that he was only a mediocre pass-rusher at best, just like only a young fool would use today's weight measurables to suggest anything so ridiculous as Klecko being undersized. To compound the stupidity, at DE on a 4-man line he wouldn't even be "undersized" by today's standards.

Joe Klecko was not undersized ~30 years ago. What a stupid thing to write.

You are a moderator here, there are better ways to make a point.

That said people have used the word small to describe Joe Klecko for a long time. For example the reviews of the movie Cannonball run dsecribed Joe's role as being small. Yet anyone who watched that film knows that he carried it.

That said people have used the word small to describe Joe Klecko for a long time. For example the reviews of the movie Cannonball run dsecribed Joe's role as being small. Yet anyone who watched that film knows that he carried it.

Agreed. He clearly outshined Bradshaw, Jimmy the Greek, and Burt Convy with his effortless portrayal of a human car jack.

Didn't know he moved. Dan was a beast for Marlboro. Used to bypass what his coaches were saying and just take his cues from Joe yelling on the sidelines.

I wasn't in the area when Dan was in high school but my son is the same age as Josh and played against him growing up. Joe Klecko was really cool to me at a grammar school basketball game one time. I asked him to sign some JetNation cards that I had on me, he looked at it and said he knew of the site. This was like 6 years ago so it was surprising to me.

I never saw Josh play football, also never witnessed Joe trying to sit through one of his games -- both would be interesting. But RBC had an awesome year last year and all the reviews on Josh were excellent. Hopefully he can make a mark at the next level.

You are a moderator here, there are better ways to make a point.

I thought it was quoting a non-JN article. My bad.

Klecko had a 20-sack season before they started officially keeping stats. Dude was a monster. Just ask guys like Anthony Munoz and Dwight Stephenson - they both count Joe among the best they faced.

Klecko had a 20-sack season before they started officially keeping stats. Dude was a monster. Just ask guys like Anthony Munoz and Dwight Stephenson - they both count Joe among the best they faced.

thought they were keeping the stats when he and Gastineau had their big 20+ sack seasons when the Jets had 66 you may want to check that

Sacks did not become an official stat until 1982. Klecko's 20.5-sack season was 1981.

I talked to the owner of ProFootballReference.com today, and it sounds like people are going through old logs and there could be a good update on sacks from earlier years.

Funny thing about Joe K is that even rival football fans that hate the Jets almost always like and or respect him. My Giant fan brother in law despises the Jets but if you talk about Klecko his comment is usually something like "Now that guy was just a great football player"

Archived