2012 US Men's Basketball Olympic Team

Jetsfan80

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Coach K is kind of awesome. Kind of just saying "oh blow me" to the press.

Nevertheless, a question in the postgame news conference about the U.S. running up the score stiffened Krzyzewski, inspiring him to respond with marked defiance. ”We didn’t play LeBron [James] and Kobe [bryant] in the second half, and with Carmelo shooting like that, we benched him,” Krzyzewski said. “We didn’t take any fast breaks in the fourth quarter, and we played all zone. You have to take a shot every 24 seconds, and the shots we took happened to be hit. ”I take offense to this question because there’s no way in the world that our program in the United States sets out to humiliate anyone.” Krzyzewski nodded toward Nigeria coach Ayodele Bakare and decided to speak for him too. “Coach would think it humiliating if we didn’t play hard.”

So Coach K is kind of awesome. Kind of just saying "oh blow me" to the press.

He is.

And that is the problem with today's culture. If K told his players when they were up 119-62 entering the 4th to let the 24 second clock expire to give the ball back he would have been crushed.

He is.

And that is the problem with today's culture. If K told his players when they were up 119-62 entering the 4th to let the 24 second clock expire to give the ball back he would have been crushed.

I love it, basketball is the one international sport that America truly dominates with nobody else even coming close. It'll probably always be that way, no matter how much China wants to beat children into becoming the next Wang Zhi Zhi or whatever (by far the most horrendous underlying story throughout these games). Even when the new rules kick in that'll probably hold. sh*t like that is nothing but sour grapes towards the US, and K gave the best answer you possibly could by politely telling the guy to go f himself. Almost makes me hate Duke a little less. Almost.

no matter how much China wants to beat children into becoming the next Wang Zhi Zhi or whatever (by far the most horrendous underlying story throughout these games).

I disagree.

http://olympics.time.com/2012/08/03/wu-minxia-chinese-divers-parents-hid-family-illness-deaths-from-her/

Wu Minxia: Chinese Diver’s Parents Hid Family Illness, Deaths from Her

How far would you go to ensure your child's olympic success? Would you drive her to practice every day? Would you never tell her about her mother's eight-year battle with cancer and lie about the death of her grandparents for over a year?

If that last measure seems a little extreme, you’re in good company. Thousands of Chinese spoke out this week on Sina Weibo, a Chinese micro-blogging website, in condemnation of Wu Minxia’s parents doing just that. Wu — the 26 year-old Chinese diver who just nabbed her third gold on the 3-meter springboard — made history this year when she became the first diver to ever take home the top prize in three consecutive Olympics, but that incredibly feat came at a price. Earlier this week, her father revealed to the Shanghai Morning Post that the secrets of her mother’s cancer (now in remission) and her dead grandparents were kept from Wu so she could focus on her training.

It's been a long time since high school, but I think Batum is French for "dick punch".

What is with the foreigner ball punching?

I'm not gonna lie, cheap as it was, Navarro deserved that sh*t. Guy's been the dirtiest player in the Olympics. He was clotheslining guys like Hacksaw Jim Duggan when Russia upset Spain. Same for why I couldn't blame that Argentinean dude for nut punching Melo either. You know he was 100% telling the truth when he said Paul was doing the same thing all game, he's made a career out of it. The entire tourney has been a pathetic free-for-all.

I blame Bruce Bowen and Reggie Evans.

Anyone watching this? Great game so far. It'll be interesting to see who they defer to down the stretch. '08 it was Kobe. Wonder if it'll be him or Lebron.

Like that K's benching Chandler early on. He's been getting murdered by FIBA officiating, this game we're gonna need him in the 4th.

Interesting point by Jerry Colangelo from ESPN.com

Asked whether the U.S. small ball will influence international play, Colangelo said after the game, "As the big man fades into the sunset around the world, there won't be any other choice."

I wonder, are we really seeing the end of the 7 ft big man? Not to overstate it, but maybe Greg Oden's premature demise set the stage. Think how the game would be different if he didn't bust because of injury.

There would be more more scouting of young big men, more recruiting, etc. Now it seems that team builders think they can get away with making the 6'10" player a center like Anthony Davis because there's so few traditional big men and they can play smaller.

Just saw two pretty cool factoids on the wire; as much as everyone's been drooling over Lebron being the only other guy besides Jordan to do the MVP/Finals MVP/Naismith/Gold thing, Davis is the first guy since Laettner to win the NCAA and Gold in the same year. Didn't even realize that one.

Also thought this shot at '92 from Lebron was pretty funny, and kind of true:

"We knew it wasn't going to be easy," James said. "We didn't want it easy. A lot of teams won gold easy. We didn't want it that way. We're a competitive team. When it gets tight, that's when our will and determination shows."

Wonder where USA basketball goes from here. Coach K had a great handle on how to get superstars to gel within FIBA rules and international play. Supposedly news now is that the new age rules aren't taking effect in 2016. I think Tom Izzo makes sense. He's coached in international play before and he has a good attitude that the players would respect.

Doug Collins, Pop, and Doc are also being mentioned as Team USA HCs.

The under 23 rule was stupid when it was thought up. NBA players really don't give a crap about the FIBA World Championship. They do it as a warmup for the Olympics. If the under 23 rule was going to go in effect, I hope American NBA players boycott the Worlds as a protest.

The under 23 rule was stupid when it was thought up. NBA players really don't give a crap about the FIBA World Championship. They do it as a warmup for the Olympics. If the under 23 rule was going to go in effect, I hope American NBA players boycott the Worlds as a protest.

None of that is going to happen. Stern will dictate what ever he wants and FIBA will fold to his demands. Too much money for the NBA (as a worldwide commercial) and FIBA(for broadcast rights)riding on this from now on.

Wonder where USA basketball goes from here. Coach K had a great handle on how to get superstars to gel within FIBA rules and international play. Supposedly news now is that the new age rules aren't taking effect in 2016. I think Tom Izzo makes sense. He's coached in international play before and he has a good attitude that the players would respect.

Pop would probably be ideal, though Izzo would be good too. Doc can get a little shaky with his rotations, which would obviously be a disaster with a team like this. Collins is too much of a redass. He'd burn out an hour into the first practice.

Interesting point by Jerry Colangelo from ESPN.com

I wonder, are we really seeing the end of the 7 ft big man? Not to overstate it, but maybe Greg Oden's premature demise set the stage. Think how the game would be different if he didn't bust because of injury.

There would be more more scouting of young big men, more recruiting, etc. Now it seems that team builders think they can get away with making the 6'10" player a center like Anthony Davis because there's so few traditional big men and they can play smaller.

I think the changes have to come at the high school/AAU and college levels. The NBA has done it out of necessity. When you used to be around 7 foot you were taught to play traditional big man style- back to the basket, 2 dribbles and shoot, post moves, in and out ball, positioning, etc...Now when you are around 7 foot you are taught to be a point forward. You cant expect a 19 year old kid who has been groomed for the NBA since 7th grade to completely change his game when he gets there. Granted guys like Durant never would have been stars in the old system (his frame is way too small), but they would be better finding balance by identifying guys that cant play big and those who can. I mean can you imagine if Shaq was expected to be a point forward? He never would have played in the NBA.

So I think the NBA does it out of necessity. I do think part of the issue was the marketing of the league. Shaq was a huge star but his skillset was so poor and he was just so incredibly big that no kid could watch that and try to be like him. Duncan played in no mans land so nobody cared. Thats why I dont think Oden would have made a difference even if he panned out. Where he was drafted was a spot nobody would have watched. With the change in talent now there is alot more transition game because the shots come from deeper and that doesnt help the big guys cause either since they are too slow for that style.

I think if there was ever a team patient enough to try to find the right talent fit they could work the big man system. Certainly the Magic could have have if Dwight was even interested in learning to play offensively. Bynum might actually be able to do it if he stays healthy. I think its similar to being in the NFL and being one of the few teams that runs the "ground and pound" philosophy that benefited the Jets for 2 years and San Francisco last season. When the leagues all gear to play one way the few odd apples can have success. In the NFL you have teams that are now gearing for the athletic tight ends, 3rd down pass catching backs, and in general a deeper and more open passing game. The in the box safety is pretty much disappearing. Teams need faster corner types, not run stuffers with range. The LBs are getting leaner to keep up with their assignments. Linemen are more specialized to play pass than ever before. When a team is completely built to play the Patriots and Saints and you can bludgeon them with a run game and stuffing defense you can win some games despite the general crummy play from the QB. The run first WCO Jets of the mid 200s were a dime a dozen unit. Everyone ran that offense and every defense in the NFL was prepared for it. Without the top level talent it becomes tougher to win.

I think that works in the NBA as well. Are the Brooklyn Nets built to stop a team like the Sixers? Nope. They are built to run up and down the floor with a trailing 5 with no defensive skills that only factors into the game when they cant run. Clippers are the same way. So are most of the teams in the NBA. You come up against a guy like Bynum and next think you know you are in foul trouble and you have no clue how to help defend it because you never practice for it. Different teams can advance. Thats probably the only way for the big guy to come back. If one team is successful and its in a big market kids may want to play that way and teams will try to copy success by revamping their rosters.

Great points, Jason.

I definitely thing it starts at the HS/AAU level. The tall player is taught to be the Point Forward as you say. But I also wonder if there are that many 7+ foot athletic & strong kids out there that could play traditional front court.

Guys like Shaq, Ewing, The Dream, The Admiral, etc. were biological anomalies. Most humans that size have a lifetime of health issues because the body is not meant to grow that large.

Pop would probably be ideal, though Izzo would be good too. Doc can get a little shaky with his rotations, which would obviously be a disaster with a team like this. Collins is too much of a redass. He'd burn out an hour into the first practice.

The thing I'll say about Pop, though I agree he'd be ideal for the program, is that he's always seemed to truly relish his offseasons and time off. K's set a pretty high standard and there's no doubt that USA ball is going to be looking for the same type of commitment for every coach from here on out. You look at how he structured everything leading up to that '08 win and everything after, and it's clear that the days of a coach just prepping them for the Olympics and a week or two before each international competition are over. I think the closest thing you'll get is guys like D'Antoni who'll take on an assistant role, but I don't think that NBA coaches have the time for this type of gig anymore.

That and I think they'd be making a big mistake by not sticking with a college coach at the helm anyways. D'Antoni was a good fit for the assistant gig because of his style and his experience in international play, but the rules and officiating are so different. It's hard enough for American professionals to adjust to them, (i.e. Chandler during this Olympics), and for coaches it looks like that's becoming something increasingly difficult due to how much better the Europeans are getting annually.

I may be overrating things a little bit. It looks like as long as we have commitments from Lebron, Durant, Melo, and Paul through '16 we'll be fine, but I think the Lithuania and Spain games were won just as much on K's rotations as they were on player performance. End of the 1st half that was still anyone's game with the way Spain was playing in the paint and stopping every possible fast break, (a rule FIBA needs to change by the way, that sh*t is ridiculous). He put on a clinic for Spain with the way he switched everyone in and out throughout the 4th against Spain, particularly in the way he went small during the last few minutes and eventually sent Lebron out like he was Mariano Rivera.

Archived