Training Camp Practice Notes - Mon 8/13/12

Ranick10

It's a closed practice. The big news today is that they're practicing the wildcat. However, the media is refrained from reporting on anything outside of that.

Also, this is a change of pace from the Bengals game...

@SethWalderNYDN

Sanchez and Tebow just combined to complete 14 straight passes in 7on7. Offense was fired up. #nyj

@RichCimini

Final QB stats: Sanchez 4-for-12, 1 INT, 2 sacks. Tebow 5-for-6, 2 sacks. Another solid day for Tebow. Spinning it last couple days.#Jets

I have brought this up before, but are Sanchez's daily stats concerning anyone else? I have heard reports that he looks better this year, but stats from camp say Same Old Mark.

CORTLAND – The first rule about the Jets’ wildcat practice is don’t talk about the Jets’ wildcat practice.

Gang Green unveiled their Wildcat packages at a closed (to the public) practice in front for the media on Monday, but put restrictions on the specifics of various packages used during the session.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” running back Joe McKnight said when I asked him about how it felt to run the wildcat. “Wildcat? I don’t know nothing about the Wildcat.”

The secrecy surrounding practice was a departure from Rex Ryan’s typically media-friendly approach to matters.

“You have to talk to Coach Sparano. There’s a lot going on,” Mark Sanchez said when asked if today’s widcat packages were similar to what the Jets did in the past with Brad Smith. “It’s some pretty intense stuff.”

The reserved Sparano has never been interested in divulging details of the Wildcat plan. His players followed his lead on Monday.

“Coach Sparano is someone that’s extremely creative, extremely passionate… he’s going to do whatever it takes to win,” said Tim Tebow after practice. “It’s not the same old, same old with him. He’s continually talking about new things (and) looking at new things.”

“Obviously anything scheme-related, you want to keep that in house,” Tebow added. “At the same time. You got to go out there, execute it and run it. So you can’t be too secretive either.”

But there was no doubt that players weren’t going to be forthcoming after practice.

“Similar to anything we do, we don’t want to talk about our schemes, our plays, our reads,” Tebow said. “Probably as little as you have to… (Sparano is) just a smart coach. He just wants it to be something that we know, we understand…”

Has Tebow ever been a part of such a secretive practice or plan?

“I don’t know if I’ve ever seen as much interest,” Tebow laughed. “I don’t know if it’s secrecy. We’re going out there, running our offense and our plays. It’s just part of the offense to us. Like we wouldn’t talk about play action plays. It’s just nothing something we (need) to talk about how much we do it.”

“Playing for Coach Meyer, he’s definitely someone that keeps it close to the vest,” Tebow added. “That’s the most I’ve ever been around. Here, it’s just trying to execute.”

Sanchez appeared to be on board with the wrinkles to the offense.

“I think it could be a weapon, if you run it the right way, which Coach Sparano will do,” Sanchez said. “We can be explosive with it. We have some great athletes and we want to use all our talent.”

Sanchez also cracked that he’d electroshock third-string quarterback Greg McElroy if he spilled the beans on the team’s Wildcat plans.

“We got a couple clips on him, attached to a car battery,” Sanchez joked.

CORTLAND -- Years of groveling are turning one of Antonio Cromartie’s dreams into a reality.

Cromartie participated in individual wide receiver drills on Monday for the first time, practicing cuts and routes with the other wideouts.

“It felt good. It’s just part of learning the steps. I think I felt pretty good today, catching the ball also,” Cromartie said. “I think it’s just trying to get more reps.”

The cornerback said he’s been asking coaches if he can play wide receiver since his rookie season in San Diego. As a Jet, too, he said, he’s asked every year.

“I don’t know, it’s fun,” said Cromartie. “It’s just an opportunity to get the balls in your hands. It’s just another challenge.”

Asked why he finally was being allowed to play some wide receiver this year, Cromartie replied, “We have a different coordinator.”

Cromartie made headlines earlier in training camp when he boasted to ESPN that he was already the team’s second-best wide receiver, after Santonio Holmes. Those comments offended WR Chaz Schilens, who said he felt slighted.

The cornerback said Holmes gave him pointers on various routes in Monday’s workout.

“The begging has paid off,” said Cromartie. “Three years straight of begging, trying to get offense. I can finally get my chance.”

CORTLAND -- Years of groveling are turning one of Antonio Cromartie’s dreams into a reality.

Cromartie participated in individual wide receiver drills on Monday for the first time, practicing cuts and routes with the other wideouts.

“It felt good. It’s just part of learning the steps. I think I felt pretty good today, catching the ball also,” Cromartie said. “I think it’s just trying to get more reps.”

The cornerback said he’s been asking coaches if he can play wide receiver since his rookie season in San Diego. As a Jet, too, he said, he’s asked every year.

“I don’t know, it’s fun,” said Cromartie. “It’s just an opportunity to get the balls in your hands. It’s just another challenge.”

Asked why he finally was being allowed to play some wide receiver this year, Cromartie replied, “We have a different coordinator.”

Cromartie made headlines earlier in training camp when he boasted to ESPN that he was already the team’s second-best wide receiver, after Santonio Holmes. Those comments offended WR Chaz Schilens, who said he felt slighted.

The cornerback said Holmes gave him pointers on various routes in Monday’s workout.

“The begging has paid off,” said Cromartie. “Three years straight of begging, trying to get offense. I can finally get my chance.”

A WR at heart...he tackles just like em.

I don't post often, so I usually go big when I do, covering several bases. Skip it if you don't like my posting style. :)

Tebow was 4 of 8 50%, for 27 yds, 4.7 yds/comp with an Int.

But if Hill holds on to one that hit him in the chest it should have been 5 of 8 for 62.5%

Not to bad with only limited work with the 2nd team players IMOHO.

Then throw in a team high 34 yards rushing on 4 carries 8.5 ypc and they haven't even run the wildcat yet.

Note: Tebow has never ran a wildcat offense, he's run a Spread/Option at UF and a limited Read/Option at Denver.

The difference in those offenses as I see it is this;

Wildcat is a called QB run with 10 blockers in front of him with a pass as only a very limited possibility.

The Spread/Read/Option leaves the entire run/pass offense available depending on the QB's read on the D.

* When Ryan consulted Pettine before the Jets traded for Tebow in March, the DC was all-in. “Absolutely,” Pettine told Ryan. “I’d rather face him in practice than a game.” (with a likely 2nd from Revis)

Pettine told the Daily News. “It takes some pressure off of Mark. We're in the ‘whatever-it-takes’ business. We're not looking for style points. People might say, ‘Well, you're not running a NFL-style offense.’ Yeah, so what? We're moving the ball, we're scoring, we're creating problems on defense. Because that’s what it does.

On third-and-8 from midfield, Tebow eluded a sack by slipping through three defenders (LB Roddrick Muckelroy, DT Geno Atkins and DE Michael Johnson) for a 14-yard scramble for a first down.

Three plays after his first run, Tebow avoided another sack by spinning away from defensive end Jamaal Anderson before picking up 10 yards with his feet.

His first drive ended with a field goal to tie the game.

Tebow was victimized by a false start and a dropped pass (would have been a 1st down) that led to a three-and-out on his second possession.

On Tebow’s third possession, Sparano dialed up three consecutive RB runs without getting a first down.

His 4th possession ended at the Bengals 30 with a great read and a diving catch by the Bengal's LB.

That LB made the best and the most difficult catch of the night imo.

“I liked the poise Tim showed,” Rex Ryan said. “Obviously, (he) made some big runs and that’s what we say he can do. If you want to come after him, you better get to him. In time, he'll kill you running and that’s what he did.”

He also was the punt protector on 3 punts, the one he wasn't in on is the one that got blocked for a TD.

Using the 1st team, Mark was 4 of 6 for 21 yds, 5.2 yds/comp ending both possessions with sacks.

He also had one scramble run for 4 yds.

Note, in 11 on 11 today (Mon), Tebow was 9 of 13 passing for 69%. ;)

While the D had several good plays, they have me a bit worried. What-up?

PS

Media-Moron statement of the Month:

"Tebow, whose popularity far outweighs his quarterback skills." -- Gary Myers

Tebow didn't get popular by going to church, he got popular by being a consistent winner on the field.

Church goers go to church and tithe on Sundays.

They don't buy gear or season tickets to watch Pro football on Sunday.

IDIOTS~!

I don't post often, so I usually go big when I do, covering several bases. Skip it if you don't like my posting style. :)

Tebow was 4 of 8 50%, for 27 yds, 4.7 yds/comp with an Int.

But if Hill holds on to one that hit him in the chest it should have been 5 of 8 for 62.5%

Not to bad with only limited work with the 2nd team players IMOHO.

Then throw in a team high 34 yards rushing on 4 carries 8.5 ypc and they haven't even run the wildcat yet.

Note: Tebow has never ran a wildcat offense, he's run a Spread/Option at UF and a limited Read/Option at Denver.

The difference in those offenses as I see it is this;

Wildcat is a called QB run with 10 blockers in front of him with a pass as only a very limited possibility.

The Spread/Read/Option leaves the entire run/pass offense available depending on the QB's read on the D.

* When Ryan consulted Pettine before the Jets traded for Tebow in March, the DC was all-in. “Absolutely,” Pettine told Ryan. “I’d rather face him in practice than a game.” (with a likely 2nd from Revis)

Pettine told the Daily News. “It takes some pressure off of Mark. We're in the ‘whatever-it-takes’ business. We're not looking for style points. People might say, ‘Well, you're not running a NFL-style offense.’ Yeah, so what? We're moving the ball, we're scoring, we're creating problems on defense. Because that’s what it does.

On third-and-8 from midfield, Tebow eluded a sack by slipping through three defenders (LB Roddrick Muckelroy, DT Geno Atkins and DE Michael Johnson) for a 14-yard scramble for a first down.

Three plays after his first run, Tebow avoided another sack by spinning away from defensive end Jamaal Anderson before picking up 10 yards with his feet.

His first drive ended with a field goal to tie the game.

Tebow was victimized by a false start and a dropped pass (would have been a 1st down) that led to a three-and-out on his second possession.

On Tebow’s third possession, Sparano dialed up three consecutive RB runs without getting a first down.

His 4th possession ended at the Bengals 30 with a great read and a diving catch by the Bengal's LB.

“I liked the poise Tim showed,” Rex Ryan said. “Obviously, (he) made some big runs and that’s what we say he can do. If you want to come after him, you better get to him. In time, he'll kill you running and that’s what he did.”

He also was the punt protector on 3 punts, the one he wasn't in on is the one that got blocked for a TD.

Using the 1st team, Mark was 4 of 6 for 21 yds, 5.2 yds/comp ending both possessions with sacks.

He also had one scramble run for 4 yds.

Note, in 11 on 11 today (Mon), Tebow was 9 of 13 passing for 69%. ;)

While the D had several good plays, they have me a bit worried. What-up?

PS

Media-Moron statement of the Month:

"Tebow, whose popularity far outweighs his quarterback skills." -- Gary Myers

Tebow didn't get popular by going to church, he got popular by being a consistent winner on the field.

Church goers go to church and tithe on Sundays.

They don't buy gear or season tickets to watch Pro football on Sunday.

IDIOTS~!

How is Tebow still a virgin with people like this constantly on his dick?

How is Tebow still a virgin with people like this constantly on his dick?

Maybe the bright boyz like yourself should address that question to the ones that constantly diss on Tim.

Other ignorant posters like yourself plus the media-morons and the idiot-commentators.

I don't think that I'm even close to balancing out all of the idiots and their usual BS.

"Skip it if you don't like my posting style."

And another fine poster who is to stupid to even follow simple directions.

With yet another attempt to hyjack the thread instead of commenting on the thread topic.

1. I live in North Carolina.

2. I want to like Tim Tebow, I really do. You make it harder every day.

You don't have to actually live in NY-City to be a NY-City type of A-Hole.

And if you let me or anyone else control you like that, then you're really just another pitiful dweeb after all.

Thats one way of saying it. Another way is that it was one the worst throws a QB can make and an extremely easy read for a LB if he was watching Tim's eyes because they never left the WR that he under threw.

Stupid, or totally unable to read and understand, or just the typical NY A-hole? (all rhetorical)

Whoa. Slow down a minute.

At what point, up until this post, did Jetsfan80 ever comment negatively about your posting style? He simply said that every time you post its an essay about Tim Tebow. That is an observation, not necessarily a criticism of anything you wrote...And to add on, I'd say its a pretty accurate observation as well. Have you ever posted something that isn't Tebow related? Again, not a criticism, but an honest question...

Stupid, or totally unable to read and understand, or just the typical NY A-hole? (all rhetorical)

Maybe the bright boyz like yourself should address that question to the ones that constantly diss on Tim.

Other ignorant posters like yourself plus the media-morons and the idiot-commentators.

I don't think that I'm even close to balancing out all of the idiots and their usual BS.

And another fine poster who is to stupid to even follow simple directions.

With yet another attempt to hyjack the thread instead of commenting on the thread topic.

You don't have to actually live in NY-City to be a NY-City type of A-Hole.

And if you let me or anyone else control you like that, then you're really just another pitiful dweeb after all.

Track-star-attacks-kid-in-mascot-costume.gif

Archived