Jason Smith Renegotiates Contract To Match Hunter’s Cap Number

denden29

The trade of offensive linemen Wayne Hunter to the Rams for Jason Smith has become official being cleared by the NFL.  When the deal was first reported it seemed as if the Jets would be incurring Smith’s current guaranteed salary of $4 million this season while Hunter had a salary of $2.45 million.

The Rams and Smith renegotiated his contract for the 2012 season before the trade was completed.  The Rams changed $1.55 million of Smith’s guaranteed base salary into a signing bonus leaving him with a guaranteed base salary of $2.45 million, which the Jets now acquire, matching that of Hunter.  So the Jets did not use any additional cap space bringing in Smith.

The trade of offensive linemen Wayne Hunter to the Rams for Jason Smith has become official being cleared by the NFL. When the deal was first reported it seemed as if the Jets would be incurring Smith's current guaranteed salary of $4 million this season while Hunter had a salary of $2.45 million.

The Rams and Smith renegotiated his contract for the 2012 season before the trade was completed. The Rams changed $1.55 million of Smith’s guaranteed base salary into a signing bonus leaving him with a guaranteed base salary of $2.45 million, which the Jets now acquire, matching that of Hunter. So the Jets did not use any additional cap space bringing in Smith.

pretty sure I heard from JN's finest that the Jets idiotically used up extra 1.55 million in cap space for Smith. If this is true all those tears I saw shed last night were for nothing.

Either Woody is still giving this dude $4 mil or the Rams just paid $1.55 mil to get him off of their roster.

VICT'RY!

pretty sure I heard from JN's finest that the Jets idiotically used up extra 1.55 million in cap space for Smith. If this is true all those tears I saw shed last night were for nothing.

Even if this report is true. They are stupid and stuff anyway.

Wayne Hunter was on the citys sh*t list...

He was ANOTHER distraction for the media to latch onto, and a fan target,..he had to go.

And just maybe his back is a concern and the Jets staff believe its part of his EXTRA sub par performance.

Which led them to believe rolling the dice on Smith was worth it.

Worth a risk, maybe Smith turns it around...he certainly has a youth advantage over Hunter.

yeah when I first saw the trade, some people may have saw, I thought salary dump. No way Smith is worth more than Hunter. They both suck more or less equally. Hunter might actually be better if he can regain confidence.

I am going on record (no edits) that Austin Howard will keep Jason Smith on the bench. Rotoworld says Smith will start, we shall see.

If you people give me $1.55 million dollars, I'll stop posting on this site.

Why should I care what billionaires do with their chump change. If Woody spent 1.55 million getting new bidets for his 14 bathrooms would you be equally outraged?

As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew it would be filled with smug posts that basically amounted to saying "Tannenbaum is marginally less stupid than we thought 24 hours ago, ergo he's a genius. SUCK ON THAT NERD BOYS."

Let's just say I was not disappointed.

As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew it would be filled with smug posts that basically amounted to saying "Tannenbaum is marginally less stupid than we thought 24 hours ago, ergo he's a genius. SUCK ON THAT NERD BOYS."

coming on the heels of a 8 page thread filled with vitriol bordering on hysteria what did you expect?

Bro 1: Duuuude, look at this bag of broken glass I just bought for $4 million dollars!!

Bro 2: Dude, what are you gonna do with a bag of broken glass?

B1: PSYCH! It only cost me $2.45 million dollars!

B2: OH MY GOD DUDE THAT'S A GREAT DEAL THEN.

Bro 1: Duuuude, look at this bag of broken glass I just bought for $4 million dollars!!

Not really accurate. Are you a politician in real life? :D

B1: PSYCH AGAIN, I traded this broken glass for more broken glass. I didn't have to pay anything!

B2: Dude.....why are you trading broken glass?

yeah when I first saw the trade, some people may have saw, I thought salary dump. No way Smith is worth more than Hunter. They both suck more or less equally. Hunter might actually be better if he can regain confidence.

I am going on record (no edits) that Austin Howard will keep Jason Smith on the bench. Rotoworld says Smith will start, we shall see.

If what I read on this site in the original thread is true that Smith has a percentage of snaps clause that if he reaches he then gets 13 million guaranteed for 2013, so if this is true there is no F'ing way the Jets will let him hit that % of plays number that would cripple us more than we already are for next season salary cap wise.

If what I read on this site in the original thread is true that Smith has a percentage of snaps clause that if he reaches he then gets 13 million guaranteed for 2013, so if this is true there is no F'ing way the Jets will let him hit that % of plays number that would cripple us more than we already are for next season salary cap wise.

This is what I was going to ask about. So that 2013 figure hasn't changed? Meaning, the dude is a serious serious part time rental this season.

The trade of offensive linemen Wayne Hunter to the Rams for Jason Smith has become official being cleared by the NFL. When the deal was first reported it seemed as if the Jets would be incurring Smith's current guaranteed salary of $4 million this season while Hunter had a salary of $2.45 million.

The Rams and Smith renegotiated his contract for the 2012 season before the trade was completed. The Rams changed $1.55 million of Smith’s guaranteed base salary into a signing bonus leaving him with a guaranteed base salary of $2.45 million, which the Jets now acquire, matching that of Hunter. So the Jets did not use any additional cap space bringing in Smith.

Do you know if this is true?

This is what I was going to ask about. So that 2013 figure hasn't changed? Meaning, the dude is a serious serious part time rental this season.

Not sure I'm looking for the answer to this to, and if it is true, the Jets can't play him full time even if he is playing at a pro bowl level, that 13 million is already spent on Revis' new deal hopefully.

Not sure I'm looking for the answer to this to, and if it is true, the Jets can't play him full time even if he is playing at a pro bowl level, that 13 million is already spent on Revis' new deal hopefully.

Cool, let me know if you find something. The deal seems to make no sense, unless its just to get rid of Wayne and dump this guy after letting him take ten snaps the entire season.

Amen to locking up Revis.

Guys, it actually gets voided IF he takes X snaps. Not if he does NOT X snaps.

I know, sounds backwards.

http://thejetsblog.com/bga/bga-scouting-jason-smith/

Salary Cap Issues

Based on the information available about Smith’s contract (mostly from Brian McIntyre), we can determine the following about the two years remaining on the restructured monster contract he signed when he was drafted by the Rams with the second pick:

- His salary for 2012 is $4m, which is fully guaranteed

- He also has potential incentives of $1m based on playing time, wins and playoff success

- If he earns any of these incentives, they will count against the 2013 cap

- His contract will void if he plays over 31% of the snaps in 2012

- If his contract voids, the Jets could get a 2014 compensatory pick if anyone else signs him

- If his contract doesn’t void, he is set to earn $12m in 2013

- None of the money in 2013 is guaranteed, so he can be released with no cap implications

- His deal could also be restructured at that point

Can't help but remind me of:

Cartman: Dude, check it out! "Time Cop" on DVD. Three copies for eighteen bucks!

Kyle: Why the hell would you want three copies of the same movie?

Cartman: Because one copy is nine ninety-eight! But this way you save like twenty bucks!

Kyle: You only need one copy, r-tard!

Cartman: Okay, fine, dumb ass, YOU go ahead and buy one copy for nine ninety-eight!

Kyle: Okay, fine, I will! (grabs a copy) Huh, wait a minute! I don't even want ONE copy of Time Cop! (puts it back)

Cartman: Dude, you can't shop for crap.

Archived