Picking up the Pieces: Post 1-1

SenorGato

Yesterday was pretty huge, I can't deny that. Sitting at 1-1 has the Jets' playoff hopes looking bleak and puts them in a tier with teams like everyone but the Eagles in the East, everyone but Cleveland in the North, the Panthers, Bucs, Rams, and Seahawks. Even the Cardinals have outplayed the Jets. Something about how super awesome amazing the 49ers are and how it's a little depressing how far the Jets lag behind that team's model. That sh*t ruined my whole day, and likely my week.

I need to pick up the pieces, starting now. Can someone tell me the last time a team that started off 1-1 made the playoffs? Anything to put a little hope back out there. Maybe it was relatively recent before the rule changes and the Jets can look to be even better than that team. I keep thinking that if the Jets had not completely blown out the Bills in week one that they could easily be 0-2 and almost completely out of the picture.

Any contribution to picking up the pieces is welcome.

I'm afraid that what you say is true. If you take away the win against the Bills, then the Jets are 0-2 and it is very unlikely that an 0-2 team makes the playoffs.Keep in mind that despite the fact that we are not 0-2, we are 1-1... so we share the distinction of being 1-1 with teams like Indianapolis, Minnesota, etc. I just can't see how we make the playoffs this way. According to our record, our team is no better than the Colts or Vikings - that is not a recipe for success and Rex is surely a goner.

Furthermore, the fact that we did not score in the pre-season indicates that we have already scored our maximum number of touchdowns this season. I can't see us making the playoffs if we don't ever score another touchdown.

If any of you need someone to talk to about what happened, I'm available by PM.

It's baffling. You're this totally understandable, rational guy when it's draft time and once the seasons starts, you latch onto someone/something and just ride it incoherently into the ground. I'm more just impressed with the consistency than anything else.

Wait, what's this one I'm latched too here? I just thought it would be fun to do.

This isn't fun?

Gato on the Titanic: "Oh yeah, because an iceberg can crush a giant steel boat. It happens all the time. Oh no, teh icebergz!"

Yeah, well the Japanese thought they could trap Godzilla in ice once. Ask the American crew of the submarine Seahawk how that one turned out.

That wasn't even a good one you rep johns.

According to JiF the teams hopes lie with being able to capitalize on the separation Santonio seemingly gets at will. Catching the ball isn't necessarily required. They just need to find a way to not let all that space Holmes is getting from would be defenders go to waste.

I'm confident the Sparano route trees are the answer.

Fine - the good things about yesterday:

- The team hit the QB. They landed 3 sacks on Roethlisberger and on a normal QB would have went down much more often.

- Wilkerson is a legit monster against the run.

- Bart Scott made a play early. It was against the run, but still good to see him alive.

- The offense started off really well. Don't know wtf happened, but it started off really well. Holmes needs to catch the ball, yes, but the catches he did make were done easily by both QB and WR.

- A couple of JAGs look like they'll be giving the Jets some production. McIntyre, Lankster, Bell is looking like a better signing than I thought, beyond the pass he didn't turn around for he's been alright, that guy Gates looked competent making his one catch, McKnight...

- Bitches luh mah dyiiiick.

- The OL has yet to suck.

- Sanchez sucked but didn't look incompetent at all doing it. He even memorably broke a sack.

- Pouha senses the presence of Kenrick Ellis. Came right off his missed game and played very well from the start. This is the best competition between starter and backup on the roster right now.

- The P might have a leg.

Yesterday was pretty huge, I can't deny that. Sitting at 1-1 has the Jets' playoff hopes looking bleak and puts them in a tier with teams like everyone but the Eagles in the East, everyone but Cleveland in the North, the Panthers, Bucs, Rams, and Seahawks. Even the Cardinals have outplayed the Jets. Something about how super awesome amazing the 49ers are and how it's a little depressing how far the Jets lag behind that team's model. That sh*t ruined my whole day, and likely my week.

I need to pick up the pieces, starting now. Can someone tell me the last time a team that started off 1-1 made the playoffs? Anything to put a little hope back out there. Maybe it was relatively recent before the rule changes and the Jets can look to be even better than that team. I keep thinking that if the Jets had not completely blown out the Bills in week one that they could easily be 0-2 and almost completely out of the picture.

Seriously ?

Giants last year lost the opener to the Redskins.

Ravens last year started 1-1

Jets in 2010 were 1-1

According to JiF the teams hopes lie with being able to capitalize on the separation Santonio seemingly gets at will. Catching the ball isn't necessarily required. They just need to find a way to not let all that space Holmes is getting from would be defenders go to waste.

You're a moron. You still have no clue what the conversation was about. I honestly dont know how you function in society with your brain.

Stick to landscaping and let us men (me and Gato) talk Football.

Fine - the good things about yesterday:

- The team hit the QB. They landed 3 sacks on Roethlisberger and on a normal QB would have went down much more often.

- Wilkerson is a legit monster against the run.

- Bart Scott made a play early. It was against the run, but still good to see him alive.

- The offense started off really well. Don't know wtf happened, but it started off really well. Holmes needs to catch the ball, yes, but the catches he did make were done easily by both QB and WR.

- A couple of JAGs look like they'll be giving the Jets some production. McIntyre, Lankster, Bell is looking like a better signing than I thought, beyond the pass he didn't turn around for he's been alright, that guy Gates looked competent making his one catch, McKnight...

- Bitches luh mah dyiiiick.

- The OL has yet to suck.

- Sanchez sucked but didn't look incompetent at all doing it. He even memorably broke a sack.

- Pouha senses the presence of Kenrick Ellis. Came right off his missed game and played very well from the start. This is the best competition between starter and backup on the roster right now.

- The P might have a leg.

Sanchez sucking this year >>>>> Sanchez sucking last year

Last year that would have been a 45-0 route with at least 2 picks six and a fumble return for a TD.

Gato on the Titanic: "Oh yeah, because an iceberg can crush a giant steel boat. It happens all the time. Oh no, teh icebergz!"

Gato on the Titanic: "Oh yeah, because an iceberg can crush a giant steel boat. It happens all the time. Especially after you let Schottenheimer go. Oh no, teh icebergz!"

In all fairness, back when the whole "Schotty's route designs don't help WRs get open" point was first being made, we had receivers like Cotchery out there who would make the catches if they got open. So the argument was valid, Schotty's route tree was easily stifled by defenses. I've seen it broken down over the years by analysts, I know there is validity to it.

HOWEVER... Now we have a different situation, we have a rookie who doesn't know how not to be bumped out of his route, and a veteran A-hole who likes to break off his routes so he can look open when the ball sails over his head and throw a fit. When he runs his routes and the ball goes to him, he misses easy catches.

Gato has taken sarcasm to a whole new level. It's going to take a while for the rest of JN to catch up.

The Jets can certainly rebound from 1-1, they've done it in the past and so have other teams as mentioned above.

The issue will be whether Holmes will be less of an ahole enough to make game critical plays again, Sanchez's balls will drop, and Rex's D will play as well as he thinks they are.

Archived