Top Albums of 2012

RutgersJetFan

It's that time of year where everyone's a critic! Have at it peeps. Here's mine.

1. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

2. Grizzly Bear - Shields

3. El-P - Cancer 4 Cure

4. Jack White - Blunderbuss

5. Action Bronson & Alchemist - Rare Chandeliers

6. Flying lotus – Until the Quiet Comes

7. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. City

8. Japandroids - Celebration Rock

9. Nas - Life is Good

10. JJ Doom - Keys to the Kuffs

It's that time of year where everyone's a critic! Have at it peeps. Here's mine.

1. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

2. Grizzly Bear - Shields

3. El-P - Cancer 4 Cure

5. Action Bronson & Alchemist - Rare Chandeliers

6. Flying lotus – Until the Quiet Comes

7. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. City

8. Japandroids - Celebration Rock

9. Nas - Life is Good

10. JJ Doom - Keys to the Kuffs

I usually like your taste in non rap.

I usually like your taste in non rap.

Blunderbuss was a pretty big album for me. I was messing around with a married chick when White put that out and that LP helped me not feel like a complete piece of sh*t about the whole thing. Honestly thought it was better than the last 2 White Stripes albums IMO.

Blunderbuss was a pretty big album for me. I was messing around with a married chick when White put that out and that LP helped me not feel like a complete piece of sh*t about the whole thing. Honestly thought it was better than the last 2 White Stripes albums IMO.

Married women always need the pool boy. It's a niche.

I'm not sure I could go that far as I really dug Icky Thump, but god damn I can't get "I'm Shakin" out of my head. What a killer track. I'm still hoping one day he'll put out a straight dirty blues album, but he's so eclectic that'll never happen...saw a show in NYC a few years back where all he played was robert johnson and old blues standards and he absolutely rocked the place. In all fairness, I've only listened to it once through and it usually takes me a few listens to really appreciate an album, so I'll get back to ya.

*I know you're a huge Wu Tang fan, did you hear the story about how if it weren't for Rza not showing up to a recording session that this album never would have happened? Pretty crazy stuff.

I'm not sure I could go that far as I really dug Icky Thump, but god damn I can't get "I'm Shakin" out of my head. What a killer track. I'm still hoping one day he'll put out a straight dirty blues album, but he's so eclectic that'll never happen...saw a show in NYC a few years back where all he played was robert johnson and old blues standards and he absolutely rocked the place. In all fairness, I've only listened to it once through and it usually takes me a few listens to really appreciate an album, so I'll get back to ya.

*I know you're a huge Wu Tang fan, did you hear the story about how if it weren't for Rza not showing up to a recording session that this album never would have happened? Pretty crazy stuff.

Yeah, the whole thing is this album of timing and coincidence, resulting in this crazy introspection on life. RZA stands him up after he's divorced and without a band, and then boom...awesome album. Trash Tongue Talker is my favorite track on it probably. The guy has one of the greatest voices ever in rock and he really brings the pwnage on that song.

I would like your permission to suggest this to a friend.

In no particular order. Not a great year for music, but my highlights:

Jack White - Blunderbuss

Grace Potter and The Nocturals - The Lion, the Beast and the Beat

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Everybody's Talkin

Dr Dog - Be the Vibe

Gary Clark Jr - Blak and Blu

The Black Keys - El Camino

Chris Robinson Brotherhood (2) - The Magic Door and Big Moon Ritual

Keller Williams/Traveling McCourys - Pick

The Del McCoury Band - Old Memories (Songs of Bill Monroe)

Old Crow Medicine Show - Carry Me Back

Good call. Always enjoyed the Crowes a lot and I was pretty happy that Robinson decided to say **** it and keep making music. He's one of those guys where you always know what you're gonna get, but god damn does he sound good.

Love the Crowes. Take in a Brotherhood show or two if you get a chance. Different feel, but a great time still.

If that was actually eligible this thread would be shorter and less depressing. Cloud Nothings, The Men, Japandroids, Ty Segall, White, Hives, Godspeed, Burial, Chromatics, Spritualized. I guess. Crap year.

Ah forgot that one, I liked Attack on Memory a lot. Thought it beat the Tame Impala album that everyone has been raving about into the ground. That sh*t sounds like every other indie album that's come out over the past 10 years.

9. Nas - Life is Good

1. Mumford and Sons - Babel

great albums +1

In no particular order. Not a great year for music, but my highlights:

The Black Keys - El Camino

This one was my favorite though !

If that was actually eligible this thread would be shorter and less depressing. Cloud Nothings, The Men, Japandroids, Ty Segall, White, Hives, Godspeed, Burial, Chromatics, Spritualized. I guess. Crap year.

odd, i own Godspeed and Spiritualized albums from when I was in college...which was a pretty long time ago.

Archived