Santonio Holmes reportedly has been asked to redo Jets contract

F.Chowds

The cash-strapped New York Jets will attempt to restructure wide receiver Santonio Holmes' contract,ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday night, citing sources close to the team.

Just last week the Jets cut veterans Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Eric Smith and Jason Smith in an effort to get under the salary cap. Getting Holmes to restructure his contract could free up additional cap space and allow Gang Green to make more roster moves vital to their overhaul

Holmes is coming off a foot injury that caused him to miss 12 games in 2012.

According to the report, Holmes has an $11 million base salary for 2013, $7.5 million guaranteed, and a $12.5 million cap number. An $11 million cap hit would, at first blush, seem to prohibit cutting the receiver.

However, as ESPN New York's Rich Cimini reported, there is offset language in Holmes' contract, meaning if cut, he can earn no more than $7.5 million in 2013. The Jets might be able to use that slight leverage to convince the 29-year-old to shave a bit off his contract.

The Jets desperately need playmakers, and Holmes knows this. He could tell the Jets to take a hike and dare them to cut him. New general manager John Idzik seems determined to clean house of bad contracts given out by the last regime, so there is a small chance the Jets will cut their most dynamic offensive player.

The New York Jets, who need additional salary cap space to make more roster moves, will try to restructure wide receiver Santonio Holmes' contract, according to sources close to the team.

Holmes is scheduled to make $11.25 million -- $7.5 million guaranteed -- in 2013. The former Super Bowl MVP made a combined $20 million over the last two seasons.

The cap-strapped Jets began dumping salary last week, releasing veterans Bart ScottCalvin PaceEric Smith and Jason Smith. The cuts created $30.7 million in cap relief and put the Jets approximately $5.7 million under the cap.

Holmes, who turns 29 on March 3, is recovering from a foot injury that sidelined him for the final 12 games of this past season, his third with the Jets.

A seven-year veteran, Holmes has a $12.5 million cap charge for 2013, the third-highest on the Jets. He has the $7.5 million guarantee in 2013, but his contract includes off-set language -- meaning he can't "double dip" if he's released.

If Holmes gets cut and signs elsewhere, he can earn a maximum of $7.5 million, with the Jets responsible for the difference between $7.5 million and his new salary. The off-set language, therefore, gives the Jets some leverage in a renegotiation.

Holmes underwent foot surgery last October to repair a Lisfranc injury. In December, he said he'd have to undergo another surgery -- in February -- to have plates removed from his foot. Holmes is expected to be ready for the season, but he may not be 100 percent.

The cash-strapped New York Jets will attempt to restructure wide receiver Santonio Holmes' contract,ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday night, citing sources close to the team.

Just last week the Jets cut veterans Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Eric Smith and Jason Smith in an effort to get under the salary cap. Getting Holmes to restructure his contract could free up additional cap space and allow Gang Green to make more roster moves vital to their overhaul

Holmes is coming off a foot injury that caused him to miss 12 games in 2012.

According to the report, Holmes has an $11 million base salary for 2013, $7.5 million guaranteed, and a $12.5 million cap number. An $11 million cap hit would, at first blush, seem to prohibit cutting the receiver.

However, as ESPN New York's Rich Cimini reported, there is offset language in Holmes' contract, meaning if cut, he can earn no more than $7.5 million in 2013. The Jets might be able to use that slight leverage to convince the 29-year-old to shave a bit off his contract.

The Jets desperately need playmakers, and Holmes knows this. He could tell the Jets to take a hike and dare them to cut him. New general manager John Idzik seems determined to clean house of bad contracts given out by the last regime, so there is a small chance the Jets will cut their most dynamic offensive player.

Confused on the offset language; if cut what do the Jets owe?  7.5 mil?  And then Holmes cant make more that year?  Meaning, he'd be playing for another team with the money the Jets paid him?  So when does he negotiate his next contract?  Seems like a strange stipulation. 

This offense was the worst in the league without Holmes, they better have someone who can catch the ball if they want to play with this fire.  He's a headache and I'm pretty much over him, but he's the only WR that any defense respects on this team.

If the best we have is Sanchez to throw to him - it doesn't matter anyway. Get rid of this carcinogenic punk in the most cost effective manner possible. 

Not much more to say.  If we are not addressing QB this year worrying about who is gonna get mad when the ball is thrown short or high to them matters not. 

Lets face it this team is not doing anything next year, cut Holmes, go into the season with Edwards, Kerley and Hill maybe draft another receiver or grab an affordable FA.

Would much rather the Jets persue a talented RB via the draft than a WR at this time then get a Top end FA a few years down the road as the team begins to transition from the current slop to possible playoff contender. If Rex is the Defensive genius people seem to think he is and we keep two of the top corners in the NFL building the offense is the way to go. Of course this all hinges on what happens at the QB position.

Confused on the offset language; if cut what do the Jets owe?  7.5 mil?  And then Holmes cant make more that year?  Meaning, he'd be playing for another team with the money the Jets paid him?  So when does he negotiate his next contract?  Seems like a strange stipulation. 

This offense was the worst in the league without Holmes, they better have someone who can catch the ball if they want to play with this fire.  He's a headache and I'm pretty much over him, but he's the only WR that any defense respects on this team.

It means if the Jets cut him, and another team signs him for 4 million, the Jets still have to pay him 3.5 against their cap, which saves them  4 million against the cap.

My question is, if the Jets agree to pay 4 million of his salary, would a team give up a mid round draft pick for him?   That certainly won’t happen until we find out if the guy is even going to be able to run

Lets face it this team is not doing anything next year, cut Holmes, go into the season with Edwards, Kerley and Hill maybe draft another receiver or grab an affordable FA.

Would much rather the Jets persue a talented RB via the draft than a WR at this time then get a Top end FA a few years down the road as the team begins to transition from the current slop to possible playoff contender. If Rex is the Defensive genius people seem to think he is and we keep two of the top corners in the NFL building the offense is the way to go. Of course this all hinges on what happens at the QB position.

I think Rex could do very well with an offense that can stay on the field and NOT turn the ball over.  If we can get a good edge rusher to go with the young and strong fella's we have on the d line it could at least be a fun season to watch with hope for years to come. 

It means if the Jets cut him, and another team signs him for 4 million, the Jets still have to pay him 3.5 against their cap, which saves them  4 million against the cap.

My question is, if the Jets agree to pay 4 million of his salary, would a team give up a mid round draft pick for him?   That certainly won’t happen until we find out if the guy is even going to be able to run

Gotcha.  Thanks for clearing that up.  

I could see the Pats doing this, putting him in Welker's position and him blowing up for 120, 1400, 10 TD's.

I think Rex could do very well with an offense that can stay on the field and NOT turn the ball over.  If we can get a good edge rusher to go with the young and strong fella's we have on the d line it could at least be a fun season to watch with hope for years to come. 

Yeah I agree crush but I think we need to focus a bit on our inept offense then add a piece here or there via FA on the Defense. We seem to have a good foundation on the DL and our secondary should be good for a while so the key is LB's and San Fran cant keep all those studs forever LOL lets target the odd man out in San Fran in a few years :)

Reportedly (WFANFWIW) Holmes' people are saying they won't restructure sh*t, so this can get good quickly. I can't wait until this douche is off the team. Another Tannencoup.

I actually hope he is back at a lower price. But if he balks I hope they cut him and send that message. Accountability would be a refreshing change for this organization.

He was actually playing well before he got hurt because Sanchez was feeding him the ball so his vagina wasn't bruised (or is that his ego? hard to tell with him).  The problem is that he thinks he's a bonafide #1 receiver, that would command big $$$ on the open market.  Unfortunately, he's a good WR, but not worth the big $$$ contract or headaches that goes along with him.  If the Jets do cut him, I wouldn't cry about it, but they definitely would have to bring in plenty of WR's at that point.

I actually hope he is back at a lower price. But if he balks I hope they cut him and send that message. Accountability would be a refreshing change for this organization.

I really don’t see Holmes taking a pay cut for the team.  Why should he?  The only other option is to cut/trade him.

If this report is true I suspect he will be gone, not now, but after they find out he can even play.

Keep in mind that even if they just cut him, they still save 1.2 million against the cap.

That’s before the other team pays him.

Weren't you one of the ones that complained that they never developed young WR?  I'm not a big fan of FA WR.  I read an article about how it often takes them 2-3 years to hit their stride.  That was a few years ago, so maybe things have changed, but the majority of these guys don't blossom changing teams.  We have enough needs, we need value. 

That's what I think it means too, but I don't think it's very clearly written.  Why is the max he can get $7.5?  What if another team offered him $20M?  Why is he a $12.5M cap number, but an $11M cap hit? 

The jets can cut him after free agency right? I.e. when he has less leverage?

Yes, but then they will have to pay him a $250,000 bonus, which I guess in the long term of things isn't much. 

This will be Idzik's first statement move.  If they decide to move him, I sure wish they would get a pick back.  Bad time for his injury, his value is way down

That contract was so ridiculously bad.  That was obvious even at the time it was given to him.  I wanted him back at the time, but he was never worth anywhere close to that much money to this team.  If not for the mind-numbingly stupid Sanchez extension, it might very well have been Tanny's worst contract as GM.

The hate for Holmes is over the top. I would extend him for 2 years more if I think he's healthy, then spread the salary pain around, giving us more room to maneuver this year.

No way in the world would I extend him.  Guy is way over paid, and a problem child

I doubt they will, I think they are prepared to cut bait.  I wonder if this means they are considering Patterson at 9?

I want a pass rusher

That contract was so ridiculously bad.  That was obvious even at the time it was given to him.  I wanted him back at the time, but he was never worth anywhere close to that much money to this team.  If not for the mind-numbingly stupid Sanchez extension, it might very well have been Tanny's worst contract as GM.

Nah

That distinction belongs to Harris.  At least the Holmes contract is escapable.  Harris isn't

Nah

That distinction belongs to Harris.  At least the Holmes contract is escapable.  Harris isn't

This.  Harris is much worse.

Besides, Holmes was the #1 WR FA on the market.  Unquestioned.  He was going to demand top dollar no matter what JetNation thinks about him.  

Patterson is intriguing but only one year of production? Is he considered a project or is he that good?  Who knows, maybe they pick him up in the 1st and then his QB later in the draft.  Instant chemistry lol.

1 year of production in D1 ball.  He was a transfer from a Community College where he was a consistent All American.

I want nothing to do with him at 9.  I want nothing to do with any of the WR's in this draft till the 4th round earliest.  Except maybe Austin.

No way in the world would I extend him.  Guy is way over paid, and a problem child

I doubt they will, I think they are prepared to cut bait.  I wonder if this means they are considering Patterson at 9?

I want a pass rusher

Oh, hell no.  My head will explode if they pick Patterson at 9.  While he has a bigger body of work than Hill, he is another raw receiver.  Give me an edge rusher at 9 and go WR later on.

.  I want nothing to do with any of the WR's in this draft till the 4th round earliest.  Except maybe Austin.

i don't get this point of view. the Jets WR corp last year was easily the worst position on the team. They were trotting out street free agents like Jason Hill, giving him real snaps, and cutting them 2 weeks later. Even QB was better than WR. Holmes is basically on the team 1 more year max, Edwards is shot. There's basically Kerley ( a great #3), Hill (super raw) and no one. They will go WR earlier than 4.  rd 2 is an especially good place there's like a dozen WR in the round 2/3 mix that will be players in the league.

i don't get this point of view. the Jets WR corp last year was easily the worst position on the team. They were trotting out street free agents like Jason Hill, giving him real snaps, and cutting them 2 weeks later. Even QB was better than WR. Holmes is basically on the team 1 more year max, Edwards is shot. There's basically Kerley ( a great #3), Hill (super raw) and no one. They will go WR earlier than 4.  rd 2 is an especially good place there's like a dozen WR in the round 2/3 mix that will be players in the league.

i dont agree with that. QB was the worst position on the team (he was bottom 3 qb in league) the WRs were meh but they had sanchez throwing inaccurate balls all over the place and injuries hurt us.

besides tanny thinks we getting patterson at 9 so i want nothing to do with him

It should be simple for you to understand being a draft guy.  There isnt a WR worthy of top 10 merits.  No where near it.  I dont even think there is a first round prospect in this draft.  

The difference between the top 3 prospects and the 7-12 range is minimal.  Therefore, the value on WR's are better later in the draft.  The Jets WR core is doodoo...but so is there QB situation.  I could understand reaching for a WR if you had the QB situation worked out, but they dont and there are way too many holes to fill on this team to reach for mediocre talent being driven up because of an apparent need on the team. 

i dont agree with that. QB was the worst position on the team (he was bottom 3 qb in league) the WRs were meh but they had sanchez throwing inaccurate balls all over the place and injuries hurt us.

besides tanny thinks we getting patterson at 9 so i want nothing to do with him

ok so let's say Sanchez is 30th in the league. Where does Clyde Gates rank? Where does Stephen Hill rank? Where does Jason Hill rank? They were ridiculously thin at WR, a position where you need several good options. 

It should be simple for you to understand being a draft guy.  There isnt a WR worthy of top 10 merits.  No where near it.  I dont even think there is a first round prospect in this draft.  

The difference between the top 3 prospects and the 7-12 range is minimal.  Therefore, the value on WR's are better later in the draft.  The Jets WR core is doodoo...but so is there QB situation.  I could understand reaching for a WR if you had the QB situation worked out, but they dont and there are way too many holes to fill on this team to reach for mediocre talent being driven up because of an apparent need on the team. 

just to be clear Im saying WR at 9 is feasible but if not, WR at 41, 73 or whatever is likely. You said no WR til rd 4 im saying they are going WR earlier than that. It doesn't have to be at 9. but they will address the position before day 3.

Archived