Schefter: Jets are “Determined” to Deal Revis

JetNation

Sounds like Revis camp is floating "I want to stay" talk:

Revis wants to stay with Jets: The New York Post reports that Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis wants to stay with the team and not get traded, sources said. This comes on the heels of Revis saying it would be "awesome" to win a ring with the 49ers on Michael Robinson's online video show. The Jets have said Revis is ahead of schedule on his rehab from a torn ACL suffered last season and Rex Ryan has specifically said Revis won't get dealt. Revis is in the final year of his expensive contract and is expecting another big contract next offseason; the Jets could trade him to avoid being the team to pay him that big contract. 
(Updated 3/7/13)

Sounds like Revis camp is floating "I want to stay" talk:

Revis wants to stay with Jets: The New York Post reports that Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis wants to stay with the team and not get traded, sources said. This comes on the heels of Revis saying it would be "awesome" to win a ring with the 49ers on Michael Robinson's online video show. The Jets have said Revis is ahead of schedule on his rehab from a torn ACL suffered last season and Rex Ryan has specifically said Revis won't get dealt. Revis is in the final year of his expensive contract and is expecting another big contract next offseason; the Jets could trade him to avoid being the team to pay him that big contract. 

(Updated 3/7/13)

Yeah, he’s working on his public imagine after he came off as a jerk on that cyber show.

If  Revis wants to remain a Jet it’s an easy thing to do.  Accept the contract of an elite CB, who is off a knee injury.  Cross your heart, and hope to die, that you will actually honor it with out holding out next year, and he will probably retire a Jet 

Peter King on WFAN just implied that if Revis hits free agency, he'll end up in New England. Put that in your pipe and blow it.

Everyone named Peter King is an anus. Like the Patriots are a team that ever pays the top free agent the most money....

Also, Peter King--Woody miiiiiiiight be making decisions based on falling revenues from unsold suites and PSLs. LOLILOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

well obviously the best way to solve that is by trading away the best player. Cause NY loves a well-managed loser. 

Everyone named Peter King is an anus. Like the Patriots are a team that ever pays the top free agent the most money....

Strikes me as an odd fit, too. The Pats use veterans for two years and then throw them away unceremoniously. But, maybe he goes all-in for one last run with Brady.

Yeah, he’s working on his public imagine after he came off as a jerk on that cyber show.

If  Revis wants to remain a Jet it’s an easy thing to do.  Except the contract of an elite CB, who is off a knee injury.  Cross your heart, and hope to die, that you will actually honor it with out holding out next year, and he will probably retire a Jet 

and he always has option of telling Nike to kick in more bucks to offset jets lower offer (if he TRULY wants to stay in NY)

It irks me that he does stuff like this.

Darrelle-Revis-Atlanta-Falcons-Hat-Trade

Im sure that probably irritated Woody too.

Revis surely isnt innocent in all of this nonsense. Im sure Uncle Sean and his agents are pleasant people to deal with, but trading away your best player...well..only the Jets.

the Jets are gonna get ripped off bad in any deal that happens before March 16. It's gonna be disgraceful. 

Revis walks for nothing in return at the end of 2013, Jets are clearly in rebuilding mode in 2012.  

With all of the holes on this team, including QB,  I honestly can't see a scenario where 12% of the salary cap should be tied up with 1 CB.  

Revis walks for nothing in return at the end of 2013, Jets are clearly in rebuilding mode in 2012.  

With all of the holes on this team, including QB,  I honestly can't see a scenario where 12% of the salary cap should be tied up with 1 CB.  

And there you have the crux of the issue.

id take the 3rd comp in 2014 and a year of Revis over whatever terrible deal they are about to make. 

That would be incredibly short sighted. I know that our GM is not going to think in that manner.

The point of football is to win games. If Revis helps the team win games in 2013 youre darn right it's short sighted. All this long sighted stuff is an imagination game. 

The point of football is to win games. If Revis helps the team win games in 2013 youre darn right it's short sighted. All this long sighted stuff is an imagination game. 

Bottom line, the Jets are not winning in 2013 with Revis, or without. Better to get something now, than to be left with a measly comp pick. 

GM 101 stuff there.

Bottom line, the Jets are not winning in 2013 with Revis, or without. Better to get something now, than to be left with a measly comp pick. 

GM 101 stuff there.

WE don't really know that tho. Unless they fire sale the team then, yes they aren't winning anything. 

id take the 3rd comp in 2014 and a year of Revis over whatever terrible deal they are about to make. 

Isn't that 3rd dependent on the team's other FA signings for 2014?  If so, good chance that he walks with nothing in return.

This is back to the "take anything you can get" theory.  What is the lowest offer than GM 101 says that you take?

If we know that 2014 comp is basically a 4th round pick (sandwich 3-4), my gut tells me you can not accept worse than a high 2 this year.

Otherwise you keep him, but I think he carries much more value than that.

If we know that 2014 comp is basically a 4th round pick (sandwich 3-4), my gut tells me you can not accept worse than a high 2 this year.

Otherwise you keep him, but I think he carries much more value than that.

I will agree that he carries more value than that, but I think I would probably bluff higher than that.  You can still negotiate with him.  IMO he should be worth at least the 2 to somebody even as a 1 year rental. 

I will agree that he carries more value than that, but I think I would probably bluff higher than that.  You can still negotiate with him.  IMO he should be worth at least the 2 to somebody even as a 1 year rental. 

That is why I do a deal, unless he is giving us signs that he wants to truly stay as a Jet. I don't think those types of negotiations are in his DNA.

I would look for a 1st rd pick in return or at a minimum a 2nd and some change.    Revis is an elite talent and some team should be interested, even on a 1-yr basis.    Best case scenario is a team has the opportunity to negotiate a long-term deal with Revis prior to the trade - something like that could warrant a 1st rd pick plus.  

I would look for a 1st rd pick in return or at a minimum a 2nd and some change.     

if the jets trade him in the next month and get more than 2 2nd rounds it would be shocking. the revis trade is going to be pennies on the dollar. they are offloading a problem not getting value.  selling at a low, that's the Revis situation. 

mort said 9ers aint one of the teams, and the jets should just keep revis

I think the market for injured primma donna DB's who want to be paid like a DE is pretty small, so I bet we get 4 months of drama and then revis comes in at the last second and hurts a hammy

yay

I'm all in for trading him.

But for nothing less than at least a #1 this year or next AND another pick.

whoever we trade him to will want to sign him long term.  would you make him the highest paid defender in football and give up two picks ?  do you think revis will take an injury discounted deal ?

we're stuck with revis.  only the jets could wind up being "stuck" with their best player

if the jets trade him in the next month and get more than 2 2nd rounds it would be shocking. the revis trade is going to be pennies on the dollar. they are offloading a problem not getting value.  selling at a low, that's the Revis situation. 

You keep repeating this over and over, but it doesn't make it true. Revis is the best CB in football today, ACL or not. The problems with getting him to honor his contract are the same now as they will be six months from now. The only thing that changes from between now and next October is the possibility that he comes back slow from his injury, and he's actually trading at a low. Spring is the time for optimism, and you, me, and pretty much everyone in the NFL expects Revis to return to form.

Archived