Two interesting blurbs re: Idzik and Woodhead

T0mShane

From Cimini:

2. POKER FACE: I spoke to one agent who lauded Idzik for the way he has refused to engage in the Revis hysteria, which has bordered on silly at times. A "brilliant" tactic, said the agent, who described Idzik as "tough and smart. Don't mistake kindness for weakness." We'll see how this turns out. The rookie GM has to make a decision that will affect the franchise for years to come.

It's pretty funny how the circus left town once Mikey CPA was booted. Tannenbaum was a paranoid, overhired bean-counter with zero leadership skills and a lust for fame. Me and sirlancemehlot were right and the rest of you were wrong. Duh.

And Mike Reiss (Pats beat guy):

1. One of the most interesting behind-the-scenes developments that I heard in the first week of free agency was how running back Danny Woodhead was on the radar of the New York Jets, and the idea that he might return to the team that cut him in 2010 was discussed seriously. Imagine that: the Patriots having to face the clutch "passing" back who was one of their most consistent and reliable players from 2010-2012 twice each season. The Jets wound up going with Mike Goodson instead, but there was legitimate interest in Woodhead, and it was reciprocated until the Chargers stepped up with their aggressive pitch. As for the Patriots, they were in the mix to retain Woodhead, but this was a case where they set their financial limit and felt the right decision was to move on once the numbers exceeded that. I wonder if they might ultimately regret the decision.

That would have been as left-field as it gets.

Also of note, Holmes took less to stay with the Jets than he would have gotten if he was cut. Interesting. (Cimini):

8. HOLMES-COMING BACK: I find it interesting that Santonio Holmes agreed to a $3.5 million pay cut to stay with the Jets. His new base pay is $7.5 million, the guaranteed portion of his salary. In other words, there was no financial downside to getting cut; he collects the money no matter where he plays. So did Holmes take the cut because of his devotion to the Jets? I think his surgically repaired foot may have been the bigger factor. Maybe Holmes, still not able to run, was worried the injury would've hurt his ability to find a new team. If that's the reason, I'm concerned if I'm the Jets.

Also of note, Holmes took less to stay with the Jets than he would have gotten if he was cut. Interesting. (Cimini):

Interesting. 

So what we all thought was an unselfish gesture by Holmes turns out to be self-preservation, nobody should be surprised by this.

Woody was a good player but its not like hes was Brian Westbrook.

Washington and Vereen can do the same thing he does and contribute more in the run game.

LOL

Nobody rationalizes as a front for fearing their team just got worse like a Pats fan. Nobody.

Until the Jets find a QB, the ability to run is not something they need in the WR.  Line up, catch the ball at the LOS and fall forward for 3 yards.  You do that twice in a row and get a 4 yard run on 3rd down -- UNSTOPPABLE.

Don't give a crap about Holmes. Jets were paying him $7.5M this year whether he stayed or they cut him. I'd rather he maybe get on the field for them this year than not.

As for Woodhead, I give less of a crap. I didn't miss him the first time the Jets let him go, I just didn't like seeing him have any success on the Pats. That's over now. Good.

Anyone who thinks letting Danny Woodhead go is a reason for why the Jets suck now should be slapped. 

No one thinks that. He could actually catch though and make a cutback. Nothing anyone on this roster could do.

Rex had him as a punt gunner

we had no guys

If you have guys like Woodhead on your team as UDFA's that your paying 530k a year to, you probably have a good team. If you have guys like Woodhead that you signed as a free agent for 4+m guaranteed than you're a bad team trying to make up for your sh*tty scouting.

No one thinks that. He could actually catch though and make a cutback. Nothing anyone on this roster could do.

Rex had him as a punt gunner

That's the issue. Woodhead would be the 49th or 50th guy on your roster and at least contributed. Wrecks liked John Connor instead because he shared the name of a cool movie character. Our beloved HC Wrecks evaluates talent with all the attention to detail  he typically devotes to the menu of his favorite Mexican takeout joint. Oh, BURRITO MUCHO MAS GRANDE....COOL! Terminator...SIGN HIM UP!

From Cimini:

It's pretty funny how the circus left town once Mikey CPA was booted. Tannenbaum was a paranoid, overhired bean-counter with zero leadership skills and a lust for fame. Me and sirlancemehlot were right and the rest of you were wrong. Duh.

And Mike Reiss (Pats beat guy):

That would have been as left-field as it gets.

As long as Tebow, Sanchez and Rex are still around and Woody is pulling the strings the circus will always be in town.

If you have guys like Woodhead on your team as UDFA's that your paying 530k a year to, you probably have a good team. If you have guys like Woodhead that you signed as a free agent for 4+m guaranteed than you're a bad team trying to make up for your sh*tty scouting.

This. Nobody has put the Woodhead news better.

That's the issue. Woodhead would be the 49th or 50th guy on your roster and at least contributed. Wrecks liked John Connor instead because he shared the name of a cool movie character. Our beloved HC Wrecks evaluates talent with all the attention to detail  he typically devotes to the menu of his favorite Mexican takeout joint. Oh, BURRITO MUCHO MAS GRANDE....COOL! Terminator...SIGN HIM UP!

Connor played well on special teams and may well be in the league longer than Woodhead. Woodhead did contribute.  He personally shanked coverage on 2 kick returns by Ted Ginn Jr on successive plays. 

Connor played well on special teams and may well be in the league longer than Woodhead. Woodhead did contribute.  He personally shanked coverage on 2 kick returns by Ted Ginn Jr on successive plays. 

The Pats coaches figured out how to use Woodhead. They decided to give him ~120 touches or so a year and he gave them 4 yards a carry and 10 yards a reception. Jets couldn't figure that out. 

The Pats coaches figured out how to use Woodhead. They decided to give him ~120 touches or so a year and he gave them 4 yards a carry and 10 yards a reception. Jets couldn't figure that out. 

they found out that because everyone worries about the pass so much it doesnt matter who they give the ball to

they found out that because everyone worries about the pass so much it doesnt matter who they give the ball to

Really the crux of the situation.  4 ypc on one of the best throwing teams in the league.  Anywhere else and he is out of the league in three years.  

Coming from the people that think Joe McKnight is special and Shonne Green a stud.

What are you talking about "the people".

I hate Shonn Greene, and my stance on Joe McKnight was literally a pre-season prediction last year that went "I think Joe McKnight will do something to make us love him just enough not to hate him so much" or something along those lines. 

If you want to try a counter, target it at me, and get your facts straight. That, or suck it up and learn how to take a jab. You pretty much validated my point though, thanks.

True, I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that Woodhead, like Welker on a screen pass, has most of his yards before the defenders can even see him behind the fat Olinemen who are already at the second level of the defense blocking when the ball is caught. 

True, I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that Woodhead, like Welker on a screen pass, has most of his yards before the defenders can even see him behind the fat Olinemen who are already at the second level of the defense blocking when the ball is caught. 

yea i think its a good fit for the pats. Everyone is worried about the pass so when they finally get around to looking for the run woodhead who is pretty shifty gets 4 yards

Archived