2014 QB scenario

stoicsentry

Let's say Geno wins the starting role and performs adequately for a rookie, but not exceptionally. Sanchez and Garrard are gone. You go into the 2014 draft and Manziel and Bridgewater are available with your 1st pick. Do you roll the dice on any of them or stick with Geno?

Alternatively, let's say you're picking 11, do you trade up for your guy? Or sit tight and see if he falls to you?

IMO, I would figure out which one I want most and go all in for him. Then let him compete with Geno. Worst comes to worst, you hang on to the guy who loses the competition and move him a year or two later.

Let's say Geno wins the starting role and performs adequately for a rookie, but not exceptionally. Sanchez and Garrard are gone. You go into the 2014 draft and Manziel and Bridgewater are available with your 1st pick. Do you roll the dice on any of them or stick with Geno?

Alternatively, let's say you're picking 11, do you trade up for your guy? Or sit tight and see if he falls to you?

IMO, I would figure out which one I want most and go all in for him. Then let him compete with Geno. Worst comes to worst, you hang on to the guy who loses the competition and move him a year or two later.

I'm not sure. You know the old saying, If you have two number one QB's on your roster than you really have none. ( or something like that)   That's the biggest downside to drafting Geno IMO. It's the idea that we are either swayed from getting the guy we really want next year or we have a potential QB controvercy on our hands again. Big Bummer.  

I'm all for going all in giving Geno 3 years to prove himself before wasting mindspace on another guy. Get Geno the supporting cast that Sanchez never had outside of 2010 and see what the kid can do.

If we're sitting at #1 and Bridgewater or any QB looks like a can't miss I'd have trouble passing, but if Geno looks even decent Id love to have Clowney. I hate Rex but if he's staying and you add somebody who can get to a QB like this kid it could be scary

If you have the first pick, you're taking Clowney. If you have the second pick, there's a strong likelihood that Geno was horrible anyway. If Bridgewater produces this year, you take him without blinking. In all likelihood, we end up at pick 5 or 6 and hope Marqise Lee drops.

Has there ever REALLY been an instance where a HC turned a good player into a Hall of Famer?  A HC can maximize the usefulness of certain guys, but when it comes to the top players, either you have greatness or you don't, and a coach is merely lucky to have him.

Has there ever REALLY been an instance where a HC turned a good player into a Hall of Famer?  A HC can maximize the usefulness of certain guys, but when it comes to the top players, either you have greatness or you don't, and a coach is merely lucky to have him.

Fine, Dennis Thurman will coordinate Clowney's game into HOF production. 

Steve Young would be one example. True that the franchise and personnel help. You would have to wonder what Testeverde could have been if he was with Parcells the whole time. Brees was good with San Diego - but he has been HOF since joining the Saints. So yeah I think coaching makes a difference for sure.

Bridgewater still has a lot to do to prove he's worth of the number one pick.  I will bet you all my star wars cards that Clowney is the best player from this class. Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait! Except Boba Fett. No matter how sure I am, I never risk the Fett man.

Bridgewater still has a lot to do to prove he's worth of the number one pick. I will bet you all my star wars cards that Clowney is the best player from this class. Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait! Except Boba Fett. No matter how sure I am, I never risk the Fett man.

I don't think anyone is arguing Clowney is far and away the best prospect in this class, but I will take those cards if not

Its difficult to win consistently and to win a Championship without a franchise QB.

Its the hardest position to fill on the roster and if youre in a position to grab one you do it. SD took E Manning and they already had D Brees.

Steve Young would be one example. True that the franchise and personnel help. You would have to wonder what Testeverde could have been if he was with Parcells the whole time. Brees was good with San Diego - but he has been HOF since joining the Saints. So yeah I think coaching makes a difference for sure.

Oh no doubt.  You can add Alex Smith and Jim Harbaugh to that list of guys who coaches made a HUGE impact for.  I just don't know if they can take a player from "good" to "HOF".  The player already has to be great, the system and approach just takes them that 1 level up.

If you have the first pick, you're taking Clowney. If you have the second pick, there's a strong likelihood that Geno was horrible anyway. If Bridgewater produces this year, you take him without blinking. In all likelihood, we end up at pick 5 or 6 and hope Marqise Lee drops.

ill bet money that the QB goes before the DE next year. If there is a QB, he goes 1. 

as for this scenario if Geno wins the job and the Jets are still in a position to draft Bridgewater then he didn't play decently. he played horribly. Bridgewaters gonna go 1. 

Rex and Revis. 

Revis was a good corner.  Once Rex got his hands on him, all of a sudden he was in GOAT conversations. 

He's always played some NT.

They line him up every where.  Still do.  They were showing highlight pre-SB of him vs. the Patriots when he was standing up playing ILB.  

I <3 that dude.  Probably my biggest man crush in the NFL.  

Serious question:

Can anyone on this message board contemplated a 4-3 defensive line of Jadeveon Clowney, Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, and Quinton Coples

AND

Keep it in their pants?

I think not.

Here's how this is going to work. The Jets score a top 2 pick from pure suckage this season and then trade their entire draft and their 2015 1st rounder, for both, top 2 picks. Draft Bridgewater and Clowney and win 27 straight SB's.

They line him up every where.  Still do.  They were showing highlight pre-SB of him vs. the Patriots when he was standing up playing ILB.  

I <3 that dude.  Probably my biggest man crush in the NFL.  

Yeah, and Ryan threw him into that almost immediately. Many guys see 6'4" 340 and put him at the nose maybe some DE. Ryan started him at DE and sprinkled in a little of everything else. 

Rex Ryan = great coach, great American

Yeah, and Ryan threw him into that almost immediately. Many guys see 6'4" 340 and put him at the nose maybe some DE. Ryan started him at DE and sprinkled in a little of everything else. 

Rex Ryan = great coach, great American

Rex = Harry Stamper. 

If you're at #1, you draft Clowney. This is non-negotiable.

If you're at #2 and Bridgewater looks like the real deal, you can draft Bridgewater if you think Smith isn't the long term solution at QB. The Panthers did the same thing a few years back with Claussen and Newton.

Until you're certain you have a franchise QB, you're in the market for one. Nothing Geno does this season should preclude us from drafting Bridgewater (or Manziel, or whomever) if we think he's the goods.

I agree in principle. I wouldn't say nothing Geno does, because if he has a Russell Wilson-like rookie season, I could see the team making the determination that maybe QB is no longer the team's biggest need anymore, but...

if Geno wins the job and the Jets are still in a position to draft Bridgewater then he didn't play decently. he played horribly. Bridgewaters gonna go 1. 

Yeah, this. If Geno's playing and they're in #1 pick territory, the Jets will not be set at QB. Ditto if they didn't even bother to trot him out onto the field.

Geno would have to play at an elite level for the Jets to consider passing on a can't miss QB prospect, and they won't be in position to take one if he does, anyway. So the question is kinda moot. 

Archived