David Harris: Jets New GM "destroyed it to rebuild it"

flgreen

David Harris says Jets new GM 'destroyed it to rebuild it'

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By  Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger  
on May 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM, updated May 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM

David Harris was one of the centerpieces of a Rex Ryan defense that stayed remarkably similar for the coach's first four years.

But when the veteran linebacker came in for meetings this season, Bart Scott was gone. So was Sione Po'uha, Mike DeVito, Darrelle Revis and Bryan Thomas. The Jets are replacing seven starters on defense in total.

"It was a little weird the first day to be honest because you're so used to seeing the same guys in the room with you," Harris said. "But the one thing I've learned about the NFL is it's like the real world. The longer you stay around, the more your friends start disappearing. It's no different.

"It was expected when you have a 6-10 season and a new general manager, pretty much they destroyed it to rebuild it, pretty much. The offseason is going well for the team, they're working hard, training, film study, we're trying to get the new guys up to speed with the playbook so hopefully it pays off."

Harris spoke at the Green Brook Country Club in Caldwell during his outing to benefit the Give The Kids Hope foundation. The organization provides underprivileged children with an opportunity to participate in recreational and educational programs and is currently working on rebuilding Camp Hope in West Milford.

One of the toughest changes for Harris was not seeing Scott, a vocal team leader and fellow inside linebacker.

"That was one of the tough losses, not having Bart there," Harris said. "He was there for so long and he was my right-hand man, but I still keep in contact with him. We still keep in contact with him, we watched the Floyd Mayweather fight together."

Another more notable change was the trade of Darrelle Revis, a former roommate of Harris' in Cortland.

"That as hard to see to be honest, he came the same year as I did, we've had a good relationship but that's just one of the nasty sides of pro football, it's a business like anything else and I'm pretty sure he's going to continue to be the great player he was down in Tampa."

One of the bright spots, though, is a head coach that's returned to installing the defense. Last year, Rex Ryan tried to get more involved in the offense and become a better head coach overall. This season, Ryan is assuming a more active role in the defense.

"Especially in installations and meetings, he's way more involved," Harris said. "He's the architect of the defense, nobody knows it better than he does so why not teach it? The way it was taught to him and the way he sees things it's priceless, but we also have a good defensive coordinator in Dennis Thurman who earned that title."

Harris said Thurman is still outspoken, something that hasn't changed since his days as a defensive coordinator.

None of this matters if they turn it around quickly.   If it takes them years or the draft picks are nothing to write home about,  then its one of those destroy...and wait.. and wait.     It's easy to say destroy and rebuild when you haven't rebuilt yet.

None of this matters if they turn it around quickly.   If it takes them years or the draft picks are nothing to write home about,  then its one of those destroy...and wait.. and wait.     It's easy to say destroy and rebuild when you haven't rebuilt yet.

lolz...wut?

I'm not sure you even made a point here.

The roster will look a lot different than it did last year, not sure how you can argue that...which is what he is refering to...

True but when he says they destroyed the roster that makes it sound like the roster was something worth preserving and not one of the least talented groups in the NFL...

True but when he says they destroyed the roster that makes it sound like the roster was something worth preserving and not one of the least talented groups in the NFL...

Harris isn't known for his oratory skills...  I'm sure he meant tear down to build up but destroyed came out of his mouth.  Sounds much more menacing than it is.

"It was expected when you have a 6-10 season and a new general manager, pretty much they destroyed it to rebuild it, pretty much. The offseason is going well for the team, they're working hard, training, film study, we're trying to get the new guys up to speed with the playbook so hopefully it pays off."

The whole quote isn't as inflammatory as it sounds.  No biggie.  Certainly the other ILB on our team said much worse things to the public....

Ah...the excitement that arrives with a semi-new regime...almost smells like spring...

I recall fondly the memories immediately after the 2006 Jets draft...I was excited...the players picked...the trade downs...with an extra second from the bumbling Washington Redskins the following year...thought the foundation was set...little did I know...but hey...back-to-back AFC Championship games...

Conor Orr seems like a nice kid.

He's the best beat writer IMO...doesn't usually fall for the sensationalistic articles like some of the other writers who are only worried about stirring sh*t and getting hits to their websites.

Anyone else notice how all of those guys are old except Revis (who was injured instead)? Those guys were together for 4+ years. NFL starting groups beyond QB or maybe OL/DL do not generally last that long together unless the individuals are elite.

Archived