Great article on Marty's system. Learned from the best!

eboozer

This was Kelly's post from the JI board. Hope "HE" doesn't mind.

Marty Mornhinweg is teaching the Jets lessons he learned from Bill Walsh and
Mike Holmgren.Marty Mornhinweg swiveled in his office at the Jets’ facility recently and grabbed a green folder, about three inches thick, from inside the top drawer of his file cabinet.“When I need a couple hundred dollars, maybe I’ll take it to the pawnshop,” Mornhinweg said.Never would he do such a thing. In that folder are documents that seemed better off preserved behind glass, hermetically sealed for generations of football-loving historians to enjoy. They are notes gathered during two stints for the San Francisco 49ers under Bill Walsh, the offensive mastermind who developed the West Coast offense that Mornhinweg has taken to the Jets.There are diagrams and plays drawn by Walsh himself. There are annotations of Walsh’s training camp schedules. There are excerpts from speeches Walsh delivered to the team.

“And that’s only the beginning,” Mornhinweg said.

He adopted many of Walsh’s practices, and he adapted a few others at other jobs around the league. In Green Bay, where he tutored a young Brett Favre. In San Francisco, where he worked with Steve Young and Jeff Garcia. In Philadelphia, where he coached Donovan McNabb. At his latest stop, where he is tasked with resuscitating the career of Mark Sanchez while also developing Geno Smith, Mornhinweg again deftly links the past with the present.He fashions himself less a caretaker of one of the N.F.L.’s more revolutionary innovations than a teacher who strives to connect with his pupils. He mentions Young not to name-drop, but to explain why Young’s decision-making on a particular play in 1998, against a particular defense, was shrewd.“If we’re doing something similar to them, or something that we screwed up that they used to screw up, he’d say, ‘So-and-so used to do this a lot,’ ” Sanchez said of Mornhinweg in a recent interview. “It’s normal. Just work through it.”

An entire bookcase in Mornhinweg’s office is loaded with binders, of old playbooks and packets he has accumulated over 25 years. When applicable, he uses them as teaching tools.“Red Right 22 Z In — I mean, Montana and Jerry Rice made that play famous,” said Sanchez, referring to 49ers quarterback Joe Montana. “That’s a West Coast staple.”Sanchez compared Mornhinweg to a college professor whose class he enjoyed, and referred to their sessions together as “going through a history book of the N.F.L.” That book has chapters on Paul Brown, Al Davis and Sid Gillman, all of whom influenced Walsh in ways large and small.In meetings with his quarterbacks, Mornhinweg has been known to mention Brown and Walsh, who as a Bengals assistant formulated the quick, precise passing system that spawned dozens of acolytes. Many of the base plays in the Jets’ offense hardly differ from those crafted by Walsh almost 50 years ago.“Much of what we do here, that’s who I learned from,” Mornhinweg said. “It’s very specific, very detailed. Not just the play and how you teach it, but how you go about your business.”

Fortune smiled on Mornhinweg in 1986, a year after he went undrafted out of the University of Montana. He was a graduate student at Texas El-Paso, and San Francisco needed an extra quarterback after Montana had shoulder surgery. The 49ers’ quarterback coach at the time, Mike Holmgren, had coached Mornhinweg at Oak Grove High School in San Jose, Calif.“I went there and threw until my arm about fell off,” Mornhinweg said. “And then when seven-on-seven started, I was pretty much done until after practice. I was able to step back and just watch.”He viewed that time with San Francisco as an apprenticeship. When his helmet was off, Mornhinweg rarely went anywhere without a notepad. What he noticed then — and confirmed 13 years later, when he was the 49ers’ offensive coordinator and Walsh returned to their front office as the general manager — was Walsh’s attention to detail. Walsh learned the importance of an organizational blueprint from Brown, and about every other night, Mornhinweg said, he would speak to his players about finances, expectations, travel. Every second of training camp seemed planned far in advance, Mornhinweg said.

“He didn’t miss anything,” he said of Walsh, “and he was brilliant at it.”

On his second tour with the 49ers, Mornhinweg tried to spend time every day with Walsh, be it 15 minutes or 45. From Walsh and Holmgren, he learned to emphasize seven-on-seven passing drills, when the linemen are absent, because that is when quarterbacks grasp their progressions before throwing the ball. As Walsh and Holmgren did before him, Mornhinweg gives his players written tests every week to assess their mastery of the game plan and their concepts. He will do so again this season, on Wednesdays.Sometimes, even coaches need to review their subject matter. That is why Mornhinweg, during off-season planning, will often turn to that green folder. He will refresh himself, studying directly from the source.

EXTRA POINTS

General Manager John Idzik said Saturday that the winner of the quarterback competition between Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith would be determined by a “collaborative effort,” but declined to say if Coach Rex Ryan would have the final say in the decision.A version of this article appeared in print on July 28, 2013, on page SP9 of the New York edition with the headline: Masters Of Football At Coach’s Fingertips.

> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/sp...s&emc=rss&_r=0

This guy will be worth 14 pts. alone per game. To actually have an OC who understands situational football, in-game

adjustments and tempo, will give the players confidence in their OC. I feel bad for all those players who knew going into the game that they had already lost the coaching battle even before the game had started. Gosh, how Schottenheimer would frustrate me when he couldn't realize what they were doing had been taken away by the other teams DC, but he couldn't make the in-game change to counteract it.

Good to have you on board Mr. M. Thanks for bringing Bill Walsh along.

This guy will be worth 14 pts. alone per game. To actually have an OC who understands situational football, in-game

adjustments and tempo, will give the players confidence in their OC. I feel bad for all those players who knew going into the game that they had already lost the coaching battle even before the game had started. Gosh, how Schottenheimer would frustrate me when he couldn't realize what they were doing had been taken away by the other teams DC, but he couldn't make the in-game change to counteract it.

Good to have you on board Mr. M. Thanks for bringing Bill Walsh along.

and b. schitty  was still light years ahead of the ultimate meatball

Funny whose name keeps getting not-mentioned when people re-live the heydays of the 49ers offense and the coaches who comprised & learned from the brains of the organization.  What was that guy's name, who supposedly invented the WCO with Bill Walsh? I think he was our OC for a few years or something. 

Must be my imagination.  

Funny whose name keeps getting not-mentioned when people re-live the heydays of the 49ers offense and the coaches who comprised & learned from the brains of the organization.  What was that guy's name, who supposedly invented the WCO with Bill Walsh? I think he was our OC for a few years or something. 

Must be my imagination.  

i really do luv your " imagination " :love0038:

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

Must be my imagination.  

I give up, who?

He was our OC for the first 3 years under Herm.

You're still new here, so you may not be aware that we don't mention his name around these parts, as it is a borderline-bannable offense.

R U serious?  Really?  His offense sure didn't bear any resemblance to Walsh's.  He must have been incredibly stupid and didn't learn anything.

R U serious?  Really?  His offense sure didn't bear any resemblance to Walsh's.  He must have been incredibly stupid and didn't learn anything.

Learn anything? He would brag about he and Walsh created the WCO together, so what's there for him to learn from Walsh?

Think my favorite line of his was that if it's executed properly then his offense is indefensible.

This will be a real test for Marty, because no matter how good a coach is, it's hard to have a great offense without playmakers. We had no weapons last year, and now we have new guys we know little about. It might be interesting. I enjoyed Mangini's first year, when nobody expected anything from us, and we went to the playoffs. Cotchery and Coles were beasts that year, especially with runs after the catch. Maybe our offense can surprise this year as well - because our defense should be pretty stout - even though there are plenty of new guys there too.

Learn anything? He would brag about he and Walsh created the WCO together, so what's there for him to learn from Walsh?

Think my favorite line of his was that if it's executed properly then his offense is indefensible.

Come on, we all know that guy just couldn't......... hack it.

:rim:

run up the midde

run up the middle

play action to FB in the flat

punt

What was there to learn from Walsh?  Evidently plenty.  

If he truly co-created that offense with Walsh, then where were the signs of that genius and creativity while he was here?  He may have helped design some of the plays, but didn't know how or when to use them.  His offense was so predictable and bland that I have a really hard time believing that he made any real contribution to the creation of the WCO.  I'd have to hear it from Walsh's mouth to believe that that dunce Can'tH***kett co-created the WCO.  I'm not doubting you, just him.

What was there to learn from Walsh?  Evidently plenty.  

If he truly co-created that offense with Walsh, then where were the signs of that genius and creativity while he was here?  He may have helped design some of the plays, but didn't know how or when to use them.  His offense was so predictable and bland that I have a really hard time believing that he made any real contribution to the creation of the WCO.  I'd have to hear it from Walsh's mouth to believe that that dunce Can'tH***kett co-created the WCO.  I'm not doubting you, just him.

you have to have the players to run that offense ....When Hackett tried to get Vinny running it, it didn't work, when Chad stepped in he was the perfect QB for the WCO however the Jets never felt the need to improve the talent around the QB like WALSH ALWAYS strived to do. The Niners under Walsh always stacked up the offensive players The Jets sh*t the Bed, in fact, they let Chads favorite WR run off to the Redskins. What happened here was not so much Hacketts Fault, it was the lack of talent after that very nice year we had in 2002. Walsh/Hacketts offense needed a top notch pass receiving FB and TE of which we had neither. An offense that should have improved with the right personnel moves fell apart due to the lack of players and the QB's injury issues that being said you don't need a monster arm to excel in the Walsh WCO just talented players

you have to have the players to run that offense ....When Hackett tried to get Vinny running it, it didn't work, when Chad stepped in he was the perfect QB for the WCO however the Jets never felt the need to improve the talent around the QB like WALSH ALWAYS strived to do. The Niners under Walsh always stacked up the offensive players The Jets sh*t the Bed, in fact, they let Chads favorite WR run off to the Redskins. What happened here was not so much Hacketts Fault, it was the lack of talent after that very nice year we had in 2002. Walsh/Hacketts offense needed a top notch pass receiving FB and TE of which we had neither. An offense that should have improved with the right personnel moves fell apart due to the lack of players and the QB's injury issues that being said you don't need a monster arm to excel in the Walsh WCO just talented players

Perhaps you're right, but I just never saw even a hint of any genius from him.  I'm still gobsmacked that he co-created the WCO with Walsh.

Perhaps you're right, but I just never saw even a hint of any genius from him.  I'm still gobsmacked that he co-created the WCO with Walsh.

Hacketts biggest problem was trying to force that style of offense on players who simply did not fit the scheme. he tried to get Vinny to run it and that was the perfect example of a QB who simply did not fit in a WCO scenario. I think he tried the same thing in college. A good coach recognizes when he does not have the players needed and adjusts and like so many other Jets coaches he never adjusted. Pennington basically fell into his lap but the personnel was never improved upon and Chad went south with Injury. IMO give Hackett a boat load of talent like Walsh had and we may very will be talking a different story. of course Walsh hand picked most of said talent so he deserves a ton of credit above and beyond what any system might dictate. 

Archived