A shot at guessing the 53

T0mShane

I figure, heyyyyyyy, why not?

(x denotes starter)

QB: Mark Sanchez--x; Geno Smith; Matt Simms

Geno may look nifty in practice right now, but Mark will likely have the upper hand in the preseason games simply because of his experience. Even if it's close, starting Sanchez would be the conservative move, and I think Idzik will be conservative this season. As discussed at length, there's not much to gain by throwing Geno out there to get pounded by the Bucs, Pats, Falcons, Steelers, etc. Also, although Geno might be throwing a better ball right now, it sounds like he's holding the ball and struggling with protections--playing him right away, before he's mastered the nuances of not getting blind-sided, is a recipe for disaster for both him and the team. I also think Matt Simms could beat out Greg McElroy just based on physical tools alone. If Idzik is looking toward 2014, when Sanchez is purged from the roster, he might be inclined to keep the more talented Simms on as a developmental prospect over the gimpy McElroy, who should be coaching already. Caveat--the ideal scenario is that a veteran QB gets cut from a Mornhinweg/Green Bay-style offense and is brought in to mentor Geno. The Jets made a huge mistake not having someone around to work with Sanchez as a rookie, and repeating that error with Geno would be stupid. They should really revisit asking Garrard to take the #3 job, solely to babysit and counsel.

RB: Chris Ivory--x; Mike Goodson; Bilal Powell; Chad Spann

This may be wishful thinking on my part, but I think Idzik will send a message to the team by cutting Joe McKnight. Joe's (and only Joe's) claim that he's struggling with his conditioning because of his low, low body fat appeared to be far-fetched, and it seems that nobody has backed him up on it. Chad Spann is the type of versatile, hungry player that can take McKnight's roster spot, return kicks, and catch a few passes out of the backfield. McKnight may have been in trouble anyway with the signing of speed back Mike Goodson, but showing up and struggling the way he has, and having Idzik go out and sign Spann at the same time, may have been the final nail in that coffin.

FB: Lex Hilliard--x

I think he beats out Bohanon based strictly on his versatility, but Bohanon gets signed to the practice squad.

WR: Stephen Hill--x; Braylon Edwards--x; Jeremy Kerley--x; Clyde Gates; Vidal Hazelton; Zach Rogers; Santonio Holmes--?

The X factor here will be Holmes' health, but until he proves he's ready, I think they're going to force-feed Stephen Hill the ball as much as possible until he proves once and for all that he can (or can't) produce. Edwards has been gifted with the perfect opportunity to resurrect what's left of his career, and has proven that--when focused--he can elevate even the sh*ttiest of quarterbacks. Gates, Hazelton, and Rogers can all play special teams and provide depth. The issue with this group is that only Kerley and Holmes (and perhaps Rogers) are good fits for the Mornhinweg version of the WCO. Hill, Gates, and Edwards are downfield threats in an offense that is going to ask them to work underneath zones on crossing routes and screens. IMO, especially if Mornhinweg is retained, WR will be a heavy priority in next year's draft.

TE: Kellen Winslow--x; Jeff Cumberland; Hayden Smith

If Winslow can still walk by the time Week One rolls around, he'll start and will have the chance to catch a lot of balls here. Cumberland is one-dimensional and injury-prone, but has been a favorite target of Sanchez so far in camp. Hayden Smith is intriguing because of his athleticism, but it sounds like he's dropping as many passes as he catches.

OL: D'Brickashaw Ferguson--x; Brian Winters--x; Nick Mangold--x; Willie Colon--x; Austin Howard--x; Stephen Peterman; Caleb Schlauderaff; Oday Aboushi

If Winters can play, this group has a chance to look a lot like the 2009 offensive line. Mangold and Brick are top-notch, but neither are road graders and could use a fat pig between them to chip and block down. Winters is supposedly that kind of roughneck mauler that the Jets haven't had since Faneca was let go. Matt Slauson was a brawler in the same way that midgets wrestlers are brawlers. The right side of the OL--Colon and Howard--will be a hope and a prayer. Both guys are given to penalties and mental lapses, but both can be overpowering when they're on their games. The depth here is putrid, however, so if there's an injury, look out below. 

DL: Sheldon Richardson--x; Kenrick Ellis--x; Muhammad Wilkerson--x; Antonio Garay; Damon Harrison; TBD

Obviously a lot of talent here, but it remains to be seen how stout Ellis can be on the inside replacing Pouha. Wilkerson will likely be a Pro Bowler this year if he can produce a few more sacks, and Richardson will be fun to watch, especially when Rex deploys the four-man line. The depth is a little scary, and it wouldn't be surprising to see a lot of roster movement at back-up DE as cuts start taking place around the league.

LB: Quinton Coples--x; Demario Davis--x; David Harris--x; Calvin Pace--x; Antwan Barnes; Josh Mauga; Garrett McIntyre; Troy Davis

Quinton Coples can single-handedly elevate this defense from Top-Ten to Top-Three if he comes focused and ready to start rushing the passer consistently. Coples is enigmatic, but talented, and it's clear that Rex has made him his personal project. He'll line up everywhere and should have plenty of chances to rush, but will a potentially anemic Jets offense lead to the defense getting worn down and frustrated again? Ricky Sapp runs out of chances and gets beaten out by McIntyre, who is a big-time contributor on specials. IMO, Idzik will value youth as a function of his long-term rebuild, giving guys like Troy Davis a shot at a job.

CB: Antonio Cromartie--x; Dee Milliner--x; Kyle Wilson--x; Isiah Trufant; Ellis Lankster; Darrin Walls

Rex loves him some corners, and this might be the most athletic group in the league. Cromartie will be fighting for next year's paycheck, and Kyle Wilson will be auditioning for a starting job either here or elsewhere, so both of them will be highly motivated to make plays. Milliner has all the tools and could end up being a genius, ballsy draft pick if he stays healthy.

S: Dawan Landry--x; Antonio Allen--x; Josh Bush; Jaiquawn Jarrett

This is far and away the slowest group of safeties in the league, but Rex's defense has never counted on his safeties to cover a lot of ground. Landry and Allen will pound you, but if someone gets behind them, it's six points. Bush is the best athlete of the group, but is allegedly soft. Jarrett is also a great hitter, but can't run. This crew will be highly dependent upon Quinton Coples and Mo Wilkerson to save their asses all season long. 

K: Nick Folk

P: Robert Malone

LS: Tanner Purdum

Good list but I completely disagree with QB. At this point it would be shocking if Geno does not start. He is ahead in the competition, the better player, still completing more balls and making more big plays despite holding on too long a couple times, has as good or better command of the offense, is Idzik;s guy, most fans want him start. will put people in the stands, throws the ball dramatically better, has better touch, thrown less interceptions, better suited to occasional read option. better choice for pistol which we will run, more accurate, already winning over the team per unnamed insiders (lol), and is just plain better.

In fact there is not one good reason not to start Geno. The Jets feel the OL will be elite, so protection is not a huge issue. Even with rookie mistakes he is almost guaranteed to make fewer than Sanchez. 

Nothing points to Sanchez starting. Nothing. Geno will have to be awful in multiple preseason games not to start.

Geno may look nifty in practice right now, but Mark will likely have the upper hand in the preseason games simply because of his experience. 

That is just a laughable statement. Experience has not made Sanchez better at making decisions or reading defenses or protecting the ball. He is below where a rookie would be expected to be at this point. He is not a starting caliber QB on any level.

Nice job, Tom.  I have several disagreements.

I think McElroy makes the team over Simms.  Pat Kirwan said that McElroy was making the slant passes better than ANY of the QBs on the roster and said the Jets would be crazy to let him go.  He's smart, reads the D well and knows where to go with the ball (again according to Kirwan). Simms arm is stronger, but he doesn't have any of the other qualities needed.

I think the kid from Clemson beats out Schlauderaf for the backup C job.

Hayden Smith can't catch a cold.  I think the 3rd TE isn't on the roster yet and he will be a camp cut.

I think Sapp makes the team.  He's been playing well supposedly.  If Troy Davis has looked good, he'll make the PS if some other team doesn't grab him.

Leger could wind up being the backup DE or perhaps one of the youngsters will surprise.

I forgot, at WR Obomanu might beat out Hazleton and the other rookies.  Spadola has a shot and maybe the Davis kid as well.

Bohannon could make the team as well at FB.  Just depends upon how many WRs, OL, and DL they decide to keep, and what they do with Goodson and Tone.

(x denotes starter)

Geno may look nifty in practice right now, but Mark will likely have the upper hand in the preseason games simply because of his experience. Even if it's close, starting Sanchez would be the conservative move, and I think Idzik will be conservative this season. As discussed at length, there's not much to gain by throwing Geno out there to get pounded by the Bucs, Pats, Falcons, Steelers, etc. Also, although Geno might be throwing a better ball right now, it sounds like he's holding the ball and struggling with protections--playing him right away, before he's mastered the nuances of not getting blind-sided, is a recipe for disaster for both him and the team. I also think Matt Simms could beat out Greg McElroy just based on physical tools alone. If Idzik is looking toward 2014, when Sanchez is purged from the roster, he might be inclined to keep the more talented Simms on as a developmental prospect over the gimpy McElroy, who should be coaching already. Caveat--the ideal scenario is that a veteran QB gets cut from a Mornhinweg/Green Bay-style offense and is brought in to mentor Geno. The Jets made a huge mistake not having someone around to work with Sanchez as a rookie, and repeating that error with Geno would be stupid. They should really revisit asking Garrard to take the #3 job, solely to babysit and counsel.

This may be wishful thinking on my part, but I think Idzik will send a message to the team by cutting Joe McKnight. Joe's (and only Joe's) claim that he's struggling with his conditioning because of his low, low body fat appeared to be far-fetched, and it seems that nobody has backed him up on it. Chad Spann is the type of versatile, hungry player that can take McKnight's roster spot, return kicks, and catch a few passes out of the backfield. McKnight may have been in trouble anyway with the signing of speed back Mike Goodson, but showing up and struggling the way he has, and having Idzik go out and sign Spann at the same time, may have been the final nail in that coffin.

I think he beats out Bohanon based strictly on his versatility, but Bohanon gets signed to the practice squad.

WR: Stephen Hill--x; Braylon Edwards--x; Jeremy Kerley--x; Clyde Gates; Vidal Hazelton; Zach Rogers; Santonio Holmes--?

The X factor here will be Holmes' health, but until he proves he's ready, I think they're going to force-feed Stephen Hill the ball as much as possible until he proves once and for all that he can (or can't) produce. Edwards has been gifted with the perfect opportunity to resurrect what's left of his career, and has proven that--when focused--he can elevate even the sh*ttiest of quarterbacks. Gates, Hazelton, and Rogers can all play special teams and provide depth. The issue with this group is that only Kerley and Holmes (and perhaps Rogers) are good fits for the Mornhinweg version of the WCO. Hill, Gates, and Edwards are downfield threats in an offense that is going to ask them to work underneath zones on crossing routes and screens. IMO, especially if Mornhinweg is retained, WR will be a heavy priority in next year's draft.

If Winslow can still walk by the time Week One rolls around, he'll start and will have the chance to catch a lot of balls here. Cumberland is one-dimensional and injury-prone, but has been a favorite target of Sanchez so far in camp. Hayden Smith is intriguing because of his athleticism, but it sounds like he's dropping as many passes as he catches.

OL: D'Brickashaw Ferguson--x; Brian Winters--x; Nick Mangold--x; Willie Colon--x; Austin Howard--x; Stephen Peterman; Caleb Schlauderaff; Oday Aboushi

If Winters can play, this group has a chance to look a lot like the 2009 offensive line. Mangold and Brick are top-notch, but neither are road graders and could use a fat pig between them to chip and block down. Winters is supposedly that kind of roughneck mauler that the Jets haven't had since Faneca was let go. Matt Slauson was a brawler in the same way that midgets wrestlers are brawlers. The right side of the OL--Colon and Howard--will be a hope and a prayer. Both guys are given to penalties and mental lapses, but both can be overpowering when they're on their games. The depth here is putrid, however, so if there's an injury, look out below. 

DL: Sheldon Richardson--x; Kenrick Ellis--x; Muhammad Wilkerson--x; Antonio Garay; Damon Harrison; TBD

Obviously a lot of talent here, but it remains to be seen how stout Ellis can be on the inside replacing Pouha. Wilkerson will likely be a Pro Bowler this year if he can produce a few more sacks, and Richardson will be fun to watch, especially when Rex deploys the four-man line. The depth is a little scary, and it wouldn't be surprising to see a lot of roster movement at back-up DE as cuts start taking place around the league.

LB: Quinton Coples--x; Demario Davis--x; David Harris--x; Calvin Pace--x; Antwan Barnes; Josh Mauga; Garrett McIntyre; Troy Davis

Quinton Coples can single-handedly elevate this defense from Top-Ten to Top-Three if he comes focused and ready to start rushing the passer consistently. Coples is enigmatic, but talented, and it's clear that Rex has made him his personal project. He'll line up everywhere and should have plenty of chances to rush, but will a potentially anemic Jets offense lead to the defense getting worn down and frustrated again? Ricky Sapp runs out of chances and gets beaten out by McIntyre, who is a big-time contributor on specials. IMO, Idzik will value youth as a function of his long-term rebuild, giving guys like Troy Davis a shot at a job.

CB: Antonio Cromartie--x; Dee Milliner--x; Kyle Wilson--x; Isiah Trufant; Ellis Lankster; Darrin Walls

Rex loves him some corners, and this might be the most athletic group in the league. Cromartie will be fighting for next year's paycheck, and Kyle Wilson will be auditioning for a starting job either here or elsewhere, so both of them will be highly motivated to make plays. Milliner has all the tools and could end up being a genius, ballsy draft pick if he stays healthy.

This is far and away the slowest group of safeties in the league, but Rex's defense has never counted on his safeties to cover a lot of ground. Landry and Allen will pound you, but if someone gets behind them, it's six points. Bush is the best athlete of the group, but is allegedly soft. Jarrett is also a great hitter, but can't run. This crew will be highly dependent upon Quinton Coples and Mo Wilkerson to save their asses all season long. 

(x denotes starter)

The kind of "experience"  Sanchez has had should disqualify him outright.  As for ball protection, it would probably be physically impossible for any young QB to match Sanchez's fumbling capabilities.

The kind of "experience" Sanchez has had should disqualify him outright. As for ball protection, it would probably be physically impossible for any young QB to match Sanchez's fumbling capabilities.

Really? Geno Smith fumbled a lot in college and could probably match Sanchez fumble for fumble this season.

(x denotes starter)

QB: Geno Smith x; Mark Sanchez,  Greg McElroy

I think the love affair Rex has with the read option, and Pistol formations the 49ers, and Seahawks had success with will weigh heavily into the decision on who starts week 1, and if it stays close like it is now I can't see Rex not wanting to start G Smith, and why would Idzik not want the same thing it is his guy he drafted for the future at QB.  Also see Rex keeping McElroy over Simms, reason being Rex knows in a pinch he can put Greg in, and squeek out the 12-10 win against a mediocre opponent if the Jets have a good running game alla 2009, and if they don't have a good running game it really doesn't matter because neither will be capable of slinging it around to give the team a chance to win.

RB: Chris Ivory--x;  Bilal Powell; John Griffin; Joe McNight

Think Joe McNight survives 1 more season because even thou he is bad in practice he seems to show up on game days, and makes a big play, or 2 mostly on Special Teams, I think that gives him the edge since you know you can trust him to return Kick Off's.  From everything I have read all John Griffin does is impress, can't see him not making this team if (I don't see Goodson here, if I had to guess he is having a Eric Ainge experience putting his life in front of football, maybe he will be back after being on the non injured list later in the season) if Goodson isn't in camp by the 3rd preseason game.

FB: Lex Hilliard--x Tommy Bohanon

I think he beats out Bohanon based strictly on his versatility, but Bohanon gets signed to the practice squad.  Think Bohanon has enough talent to excel on Special Teams, and the threat as a reciever out of the backfield will get him on the 53 man roster IMO

WR: Stephen Hill--x; Braylon Edwards--x; Jeremy Kerley--x; Clyde Gates; Ben Obomanu; Ryan Spadola; Santonio Holmes starts on the PUP

Think Idzik's history with Obomanu gives him the upper hand, and Spadola seems to be flashing early over the other guys.  Don't see Holmes ready for week 1.

TE: Kellen Winslow--x; Jeff Cumberland; Cut Veteran;  Hayden Smith put on Practice Squad for 1 more season

Think the Jets know they will need 1 more veteran TE they can count on to at the least not get lost out there in case Winslow does not stay healthy.

S: Dawan Landry--x; Jaiquawn Jarrett--x  Antonio Allen; Josh Bush;

I see it playing out like this, and don't be surprised if Bush takes Landry's spot mid season.  Who knows maybe Rex has a soft spot for the homosexual crowd, and gives K Rhodes another shot here, Rex is known to be a little emotional, and sensitive, not to mention the great PR he would get for making ammends with a former player that he publicly ridiculed, and then made nice with the supposed homosexual Rhodes (more of a joke, but if the price is right, and the locker room can handle it, not the worst idea IMO).

Changed some in the bold, and added comments in bold under each position, non bolded positions can't argue at all, and the changes I made are mostly small, and nit picking.  Excellent job on the projection.

Hijacked hope you don't mind to much lol.

I think McKnight makes the team on return ability, alone. This is the last year of his contract, the Jets then let him go, and maybe get a minor comp pick out of it in 2015. I realize Idzik's hands have been tied this offseason, but a lot of his moves (signing cut players rather than free agents) seemed to suggest that he has an eye on comp picks, anyway.

Really? Geno Smith fumbled a lot in college and could probably match Sanchez fumble for fumble this season.

but Geno operated exclusively form shotgun.  How many were bad snaps?

I think McKnight makes the team on return ability, alone. This is the last year of his contract, the Jets then let him go, and maybe get a minor comp pick out of it in 2015. I realize Idzik's hands have been tied this offseason, but a lot of his moves (signing cut players rather than free agents) seemed to suggest that he has an eye on comp picks, anyway.

Agreed.  Tom didn't really address KR/PR in this analysis.  If McKnight gets cut who wins the job......Milliner? 

Agreed.  Particularly with Goodson a huge question mark right now, I think McKnight brings enough to the table that they let him play out his contract.  Plus, special teams ability often comes into play when sorting out the very bottom of the roster and McKnight is going to beat out most of the other guys in that department.

Nice job, Tom. I have several disagreements.

I think McElroy makes the team over Simms. Pat Kirwan said that McElroy was making the slant passes better than ANY of the QBs on the roster and said the Jets would be crazy to let him go. He's smart, reads the D well and knows where to go with the ball (again according to Kirwan). Simms arm is stronger, but he doesn't have any of the other qualities needed.

In Kirwan's time as a Jets executive, the franchise went 40-88.

Hayden Smith can't catch a cold. I think the 3rd TE isn't on the roster yet and he will be a camp cut.

We'll see, I guess. They've invested plenty of time and money into Hayden Smith. I'd think that they'll give him one more shot at a return on investment. I think.

I think Sapp makes the team. He's been playing well supposedly. If Troy Davis has looked good, he'll make the PS if some other team doesn't grab him.

Good point on Davis going to the practice squad, but Sapp has been an absolute zero since he came into the league. He might just really, really suck.

I forgot, at WR Obomanu might beat out Hazleton and the other rookies. Spadola has a shot and maybe the Davis kid as well.

I can see that. I put Hazelton in there solely because it sounds like he's making some catches in camp. I'm hoping the spot goes to the best special teamer.

Bohannon could make the team as well at FB. Just depends upon how many WRs, OL, and DL they decide to keep, and what they do with Goodson and Tone.

I don't see them keeping two fullbacks, especially with two running backs who are so injury prone in Goodson and Ivory.

Changed some in the bold, and added comments in bold under each position, non bolded positions can't argue at all, and the changes I made are mostly small, and nit picking. Excellent job on the projection.

Hijacked hope you don't mind to much lol.

Good comments, bro. I don't see Geno starting until he masters the protections he'll need to not die. That's probably 50% of the game right now for a QB, and because he played in the shotgun in college, he's got a steep learning curve ahead as far as dealing with defensive fronts.

Agreed. Tom didn't really address KR/PR in this analysis. If McKnight gets cut who wins the job......Milliner?

Joe McKnight is a great kick returner like Brad Smith was a great kick returner and Justin Miller was a great kick returner. In Westhoff's system, you need only run really fast toward the area of the field where he's directed the blocking. Hell, I think Cromartie averaged 35+ per return in that system. To that end, they could put plenty of guys back there to replace him. IIRC, Kyle Wilson was a prolific kick returner in college, as was Jeremy Kerley. McKnight has no role on offense to the degree that Rex keeps talking about making him a DB. If it turns out that he showed up not ready to compete, they should boot him and find the latest "great" kick returner.

Joe McKnight is a great kick returner like Brad Smith was a great kick returner and Justin Miller was a great kick returner. In Westhoff's system, you need only run really fast toward the area of the field where he's directed the blocking. Hell, I think Cromartie averaged 35+ per return in that system. To that end, they could put plenty of guys back there to replace him. IIRC, Kyle Wilson was a prolific kick returner in college, as was Jeremy Kerley. McKnight has no role on offense to the degree that Rex keeps talking about making him a DB. If it turns out that he showed up not ready to compete, they should boot him and find the latest "great" kick returner.

Yes but we at least have thrown guys out there that:  1) Have had KR experience before, and 2) won't fumble.  Plus Westhoff isn't here anymore.

In Kirwan's time as a Jets executive, the franchise went 40-88.

We'll see, I guess. They've invested plenty of time and money into Hayden Smith. I'd think that they'll give him one more shot at a return on investment. I think.

Good point on Davis going to the practice squad, but Sapp has been an absolute zero since he came into the league. He might just really, really suck.

I can see that. I put Hazelton in there solely because it sounds like he's making some catches in camp. I'm hoping the spot goes to the best special teamer.

I don't see them keeping two fullbacks, especially with two running backs who are so injury prone in Goodson and Ivory.

I  realize that about Kirwan.  Still, I respect his opinion and based on what I've seen and read about both Simms and McElroy, I didn't have a problem agreeing with Kirwan on that one.

I think they'll keep Smith, but on the PS.  I haven't heard anything positive about his blocking or route running, and read that he has dropped quite a few passes.

Yes, Hazleton has been making some catches.  I think the WR cutdown may be the hardest.  After a rough minicamp and OTAs with a lot of dropped passes, most of the WRs have stepped it up a notch.  I've seen positive comments about a number of them.

You probably are right about only keeping one FB, but Hilliard isn't very good.  If Bohannon can't beat him out, then imo that's not a good sign.

Sapp has been getting a positive mention every day of camp so far.  He has already gotten something like 2-3 sacks and blew up a running play, tackling McKnight 7 yards deep in the backfield yesterday.  He's making positive plays.  I think the light may finally have gone on with him, but we'll see in preseason games.

Justin Miller, Brad Smith, Joe McKnight.

Miller returned 50 kickoffs and 34 punts at Clemson:  http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/94.gif?w=399&h=197

McKnight returned kicks and punts at USC as well in 2008:  http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mcknight_joe00.html

Smith, of course, was a QB at Missouri so you're right on him.  But you're still ignoring the fact that Westhoff isn't here anymore.  KR/PR isn't a "plug and play and don't worry about it" position like it used to be.  I'd rather keep McKnight around for his versatility rather than send Milliner or some random guy out there.

Archived