Who is the best player on the NY Jets?

JustInFudge

Best player on the Jets  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the best player on NY Jets?

Am I?

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/68301/the-all-22-all-star-team-muhammad-wilkerson-and-the-new-versatility

After just two seasons, the 2011 defensive draft class already looks historic. Some are already sending Aldon Smith, Von Miller, and J.J. Watt to Canton, and somehow, it doesn’t feel all that ridiculous. That trio leads the group, but it’s rounded out by players who are, if not era-defining mega-talents, at least stars in their own right. The Lions' Nick Fairley figures to ride a strong finish to last season into a monster 2013, the Redskins' Ryan Kerrigan deservedly went to the Pro Bowl a season ago, and the Cardinals' Patrick Peterson has already been to two. None of them, though, deserves to have his name mentioned as the best player of that second tier. That’s a distinction that belongs to Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson.

How is it that crazy?

That article says Wilkerson belongs in the conversation because he's versatile, and versatility is hard. Compelling. Grantland.

Am I?

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/68301/the-all-22-all-star-team-muhammad-wilkerson-and-the-new-versatility

After just two seasons, the 2011 defensive draft class already looks historic. Some are already sending Aldon Smith, Von Miller, and J.J. Watt to Canton, and somehow, it doesn’t feel all that ridiculous. That trio leads the group, but it’s rounded out by players who are, if not era-defining mega-talents, at least stars in their own right. The Lions' Nick Fairley figures to ride a strong finish to last season into a monster 2013, the Redskins' Ryan Kerrigan deservedly went to the Pro Bowl a season ago, and the Cardinals' Patrick Peterson has already been to two. None of them, though, deserves to have his name mentioned as the best player of that second tier. That’s a distinction that belongs to Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson.

How is it that crazy?

That article supports my post.

You're not very good at this.

Now that you've raised this question, I realize how bad we are. I can't think of one great player on the squad. In past years, we always had someone truly great. If we have to go with Mo Wilk, we're hurting - not saying he isn't good, but he's solid, not a game changer.  Cro? He isn't stable enough for me to say he's the best player on the Jets.  Not only don't we have a great player, I don't even have a favorite player, like I always did, whether it was Bruce Harper, Riggins, Wesley Walker, Leon Washington, Brad Smith, or someone electric that you can hope he gets his hands on fhe ball and do something. I'll be rooting for boring grinders like Powell... it's OK, I'll still be rooting, but it might become boring very quickly this year if we lose out of the gate.

Meh, I disagree on many accounts here.  Mo Wilk is most certainly a game changer.  Not in the, Von Miller/Demarcus Ware strip sack TD sense (which he's capable of doing) but more along the lines of being a disruptive force in both the run game and passing attack.  He changes the game the same way a Ngata or Seymour does.  An offense has to know where he's lined up because you line him anywhere and wreaks havoc.  And Cro has pick six ability every time he gets an INT.

I'd aslo disagree that we dont have an electric offensive player.   Kerley is an electric player and a really easy guy to root for as a fan of the team. Humble, quiet, little guy...clearly not gritty, but still the kind of guy you want to see do well and get on the edge of your seat when he gets the ball.  Put that dude in the Pats system in Welker's role and they barely miss a beat.  Very underrated player mostly because he's got a piece of hot garbage throwing to him.  Also, assuming they can return to form Edwards and Winslow have game breaking ability.  So does Ivory, assuming he can provide the flashes he did with the Saints on a somewhat consistent basis. 

Am I?

How is it that crazy? 

Dude, even the quote you bolded is listing him at the top of the "second tier".  I love me some Mo Wilk, but JJ Watt he is not.  JJ is the best defensive player in Football.  

lolololololol

lololololololol

Man, like what was I thinking.  Kerley sucks!!!  Total sh*t bag.  He doesnt provide anything really.  No returned punts for TD's, he doesnt pull in the long receptions, no ability to gain YAC, he doesnt play wild cat role, he doesnt have 2 passes for over 40 yards in both seasons....he really doesnt provide anything electric or exciting at all.  Total piece of sh*t.  Surprised if he even makes the team.

You're like awesome at this.  Seriously great poster.  Tons of insight.  Great contributor.  Keep it up!  

lololololololol

Man, like what was I thinking. Kerley sucks!!! Total sh*t bag. He doesnt provide anything really. No returned punts for TD's, he doesnt pull in the long receptions, no ability to gain YAC, he doesnt play wild cat role, he doesnt have 2 passes for over 40 yards in both seasons....he really doesnt provide anything electric or exciting at all. Total piece of sh*t. Surprised if he even makes the team.

You're like awesome at this. Seriously great poster. Tons of insight. Great contributor. Keep it up!

Do you and bit have a treehouse where you go to hash this stuff out, or...?

lololololololol

Man, like what was I thinking. Kerley sucks!!! Total sh*t bag. He doesnt provide anything really. No returned punts for TD's, he doesnt pull in the long receptions, no ability to gain YAC, he doesnt play wild cat role, he doesnt have 2 passes for over 40 yards in both seasons....he really doesnt provide anything electric or exciting at all. Total piece of sh*t. Surprised if he even makes the team.

You're like awesome at this. Seriously great poster. Tons of insight. Great contributor. Keep it up!

You're an electric poster.

Pro Bowl might be a joke but All Pro isn't. Mangold is underrated cause the offense is anemic but on another team he'd be considered amazing. The fact that he's a center and "non premium" doesn't change his quality. Mo Wilk could be the best but he's not quite there yet. Cro's best football is behind him.  it's unfair that a 29 year old center is in his prime while a 29 year old CB is on the decline but that's the way it goes.

I think Cromartie is way too athletically gifted to say that his best football is behind him.

I think Cromartie is way too athletically gifted to say that his best football is behind him.

His athletic gifts can allow him to maintain a high level of play maybe for a couple more years, but football is not a sport that promotes a long, bell curved career. 

JiF, unfortunately Kerley is not that as an offensive player. He IS a solid one that isn't an issue, and the team doesn't even have enough of that on offense. 

I dont know bud.  He's returned a punt for a TD (granted he's the king of the fair catch), thrown 40 yards strikes out of the WildCat, he's run reverses, he's made big plays down field, he's had some bubble screens he's turned into big gains, Sanchez has missed him streaking down the sidelines numerous times.  If thats not your definition of electric, then we just see things differently.  I think he is an electric player stuck on an anemic offense so you dont get to see it on full display the way you would if he had a real QB throwing to him.  Maybe the new system helps display it this season but its hard to be an electric WR when your QB is pathetic.

I dont know bud. He's returned a punt for a TD (granted he's the king of the fair catch), thrown 40 yards strikes out of the WildCat, he's run reverses, he's made big plays down field, he's had some bubble screens he's turned into big gains, Sanchez has missed him streaking down the sidelines numerous times. If thats not your definition of electric, then we just see things differently. I think he is an electric player stuck on an anemic offense so you dont get to see it on full display the way you would if he had a real QB throwing to him. Maybe the new system helps display it this season but its hard to be an electric WR when your QB is pathetic.

^ Tongue-in-cheek endorsement

I dont know bud.  He's returned a punt for a TD (granted he's the king of the fair catch), thrown 40 yards strikes out of the WildCat, he's run reverses, he's made big plays down field, he's had some bubble screens he's turned into big gains, Sanchez has missed him streaking down the sidelines numerous times.  If thats not your definition of electric, then we just see things differently.  I think he is an electric player stuck on an anemic offense so you dont get to see it on full display the way you would if he had a real QB throwing to him.  Maybe the new system helps display it this season but its hard to be an electric WR when your QB is pathetic.

Ah. I see him more as a guy who can still an important role for this offense even when bigger and/or better talents show up. 

Archived