RB's crop is thin...why not go after McGahee?

qicmic

Call me crazy...but let's look at the Jets backfield.

Chris Ivory - constantly injured - he's no guarantee to stay healthy for 16 game.

Bilal Powell - Plodder, nothing special.

Mike Goodson - Is he even gonna play with the Jets this year?

McKnight - really?

Instead of bringing Khalil Bell in, why don't the Jets bring in W. McGahee? He's exactly the type of RB that Rex wants. He can catch & he's a power runner. All indications are that he's completely healthy. 

How much could it cost to bring him in for a look? To me, it makes all the sense in the world. 

Powell will be the best RB on this team, which may or may not be a problem. I've been high on him, but he's certainly not going to set the league on fire.  

I've got zero faith that Ivory will be worth a damn even if he is healthy.  He looked like absolute sh*t on Sat.  I still say trading for him was a huge mistake. 

They signed Bell to a one year deal, he's your depth if Goodson doesnt return.

McKnight?  He's bye bye.

But I agree, you'd think they'd sign one of the available vets just to see if they're a better option, there's actually a handful of decent names out there unsigned. 

CBS' Jason La Canfora hears free agent Willis McGahee is in "great shape." La Canfora almost certainly "heard" his info from McGahee's agent.

Again, all hearsay, but what would it cost the Jets to bring him in to camp to see what he has left? 

Clearly when healthy - he's a 150% upgrade over Khalil Bell... Kick the tires Jets Front Office....

In Seattle 2011-12, they brought in "washed up" WRs  (Edwards, Owens, Moss) to see what would stick. Nothing really did, aside from Edwards who hammered out 8 catches for 70 yards, but their off-season pursuit was ambitious nonetheless. 

I thought Idzik might do something here once it was realized that his two "premium" additions to the RB position haven't exactly lit up the practice field, or in Goodson's case, attended it yet.  But instead of taking a looksie at: Michael Turner, Willis McGahee, Cedric Benson, Beanie Wells, Kevin Smith, Ryant Grant, etc.  We have brought in camp fodder.  (Chad Spann, Moses Madu, and Kalil Bell).  Perhaps it's a youth movement for a rebuilding club, or the recognition that we don't need to add the finishing touches to a roster so far removed from being serious contenders.  

I believe the term is: high risk/low reward.  

Khalil Bell is not a bad player.  He got jobbed in Chicago last season.  They tendered him and then on the eve of the season tried to get him to take a pay cut.  Like 50% and he walked.  He is just the kind of JAG to have a decent year when we are always talking about how you can plug in any RB.  I hear all the time that you can plug in any back and that RB is a young man's position, but now you guys want to sign some old washed up guys coming off of leg injuries?  Sounds like a great plan.

Khalil Bell is not a bad player.  He got jobbed in Chicago last season.  They tendered him and then on the eve of the season tried to get him to take a pay cut.  Like 50% and he walked.  He is just the kind of JAG to have a decent year when we are always talking about how you can plug in any RB.  I hear all the time that you can plug in any back and that RB is a young man's position, but now you guys want to sign some old washed up guys coming off of leg injuries?  Sounds like a great plan.

I 100% think that RB is a plug play position and I think we're fine with what we've got.  I do see the logic in bringing in a vet though.  They can either push up or push out some of the younger guys.  

Powell will be the best RB on this team, which may or may not be a problem. I've been high on him, but he's certainly not going to set the league on fire.  

I've got zero faith that Ivory will be worth a damn even if he is healthy.  He looked like absolute sh*t on Sat.  I still say trading for him was a huge mistake. 

McKnight?  He's bye bye.

But I agree, you'd think they'd sign one of the available vets just to see if they're a better option, there's actually a handful of decent names out there unsigned. 

lol. You saw Ivory for limited snaps in his first game back.. which was the second game in the preseason. 

Chris Ivory - constantly injured - he's no guarantee to stay healthy for 16 game.

McKnight - really?

Instead of bringing Khalil Bell in, why don't the Jets bring in W. McGahee? He's exactly the type of RB that Rex wants. He can catch & he's a power runner. All indications are that he's completely healthy. 

How much could it cost to bring him in for a look? To me, it makes all the sense in the world. 

crazy2.jpg?w=300&h=223

Even if healthy, older players are more injury prone and take longer to heal in general.  With the way some Jets fans are already criticizing Idzik for bringing in Ivory and Goodson, what would they do if he gave McGahee a lot of money, and then in his first game he goes down with a season-ending injury?  Talk about your high risk, low reward.  I'm not even sure how much McGahee has left in his tank.

IMO you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay undervaluing Bilal Powell.  He's much better than you give him credit for.  I still expect Goodson to not only show up but contribute.  With all the other holes and problems the team has (and low expectations) they don't need to pay big $s to bring in any older vets.  They will be fine with Powell, Ivory, Bell, Goodson and maybe McKnight (he's not gone yet).

McKnight?  He's bye bye.

Looked like sh*t based on... what?  A few preseason carries in his first action of the season coming off hamstring strain?

If you watched him carry the ball for New Orleans at all I would find your assessment very difficult to make.  He is a powerful runner, who has speed and plays a relentless brand of football.  I'll take that on my team.

He had a hole you could drive a truck through on that 37 yarder.

Not to mention the upper 50% of rb's wouldve gotten the td....he had the db off balance but didnt have the burst...but we ALL know AND saw that.

lol. You saw Ivory for limited snaps in his first game back.. which was the second game in the preseason. 

Looked like sh*t based on... what?  A few preseason carries in his first action of the season coming off hamstring strain?

If you watched him carry the ball for New Orleans at all I would find your assessment very difficult to make.  He is a powerful runner, who has speed and plays a relentless brand of football.  I'll take that on my team.

Thats all I've got to compare.  One preseason game vs. the Jags.  He averaged 2.2 ypc.  13 yrds on 6 carries.  Powell had 7 for 68 at 9.7.  

He was indecisive and lacked burst.  Maybe injury or whatevs but  Its easy being the unknown 3rd string RB on a high power offense.  Being #1 on a sh*tty offense, with the worst QB in the league...yeah, not so easy. 

We shall see.  I expect nothing.  I hope I'm wrong. 

• 3 weeks later...

So after Week 1, the Jets RB's ran for a total of 45 yds... B. Powell...12 carries, 29 yards, 2.4 avg C. Ivory....10 carries, 15 yards, 1.5 avg W. McGahee is rumored to visit the NY Giants this week. So if he's healthy enough for the Giants, why not take a look? or at least bring back Khalil Bell. He looked half decent in the preseason. Come on.....

McKnight - really?

No RB is guaranteed to be healthy for all 16 games.

Plodder, sure - but a #1 run defense will make anyone look worse.

I don't know.

He's not even on the team anymore.

So after Week 1, the Jets RB's ran for a total of 45 yds... B. Powell...12 carries, 29 yards, 2.4 avg C. Ivory....10 carries, 15 yards, 1.5 avg W. McGahee is rumored to visit the NY Giants this week. So if he's healthy enough for the Giants, why not take a look? or at least bring back Khalil Bell. He looked half decent in the preseason. Come on.....

Bucs had the #1 rushing defense in the league last year, giving up an average of 82.5 yards/game. The Jets rushed for 90 against them yesterday. I'm not quite ready to panic.

Bucs had the #1 rushing defense in the league last year, giving up an average of 82.5 yards/game. The Jets rushed for 90 against them yesterday. I'm not quite ready to panic.

Exactly. Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if the Bucs finish as a top 5 overall defense. Their run D combined with secondary upgrades, it's the best secondary money could buy this year. They are just being coached stupid - these are high-caliber players being coached to headhunt like you'd do with JAGs, you don't need to headhunt when you've got the skills to shut people down legitimately.

The RB position is a concern. Didn't see enough of Ivory yesterday and didn't see anything positive in Powell.

Powell can be a factor in the passing game, he showed some nice wiggle and was a fingertip away from picking up that first down in the 4th quarter.  Speaking of which, I am loving the fact that we are finally throwing screen passes again, which look very good by the way.  Feel like we've been years without calling them.

Powell can be a factor in the passing game, he showed some nice wiggle and was a fingertip away from picking up that first down in the 4th quarter.  Speaking of which, I am loving the fact that we are finally throwing screen passes again, which look very good by the way.  Feel like we've been years without calling them.

When you have 3 DL in the backfield on every play, its hard to look good.  Powell, was actually making something out of nothing as much as he could. Some plays, it was amazing he actually picked up positive yardage. Whereas, Ivory, looks like he's cut from the Greene mold.  Looks for contact and falls down, cant catch, etc.  The only difference is, Greene didnt dance before hitting the hole the way Ivory does.  

Powell runs the screen well and is nice safety option out of the backfield.  Both players actually picked up the blitz pretty well.  Ivory had a great block early in the game.  

All in all, I want to see them play a different team before thinking we need to pick up a washed up vet.  

I'm not worried about our RB's.  Our o-line got no push against a top-flight run defense, and much the same was true league-wide. 

As long as our RB's aren't fumbling the ball there's no reason to bring in a veteran.  That's something a team like the New York GIANTS need to be worrying about at the moment.

Archived