Matt Simms: MERGED

CobraVerde

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is actually very little difference.  Tebow is no longer in the league and soon enough Simms will suffer the same fate.  Pretty aggressive retort when all I was doing was commenting on what was actually happening and what always happens on this site.  Uneducated football fans calling for changes that are never going to happen and should not ever happen.  You have no impact on my happiness but in general yes I am happy.

another arm chaired quarterback that knows more than the rest of us, uneducated fans.

And if he doesn't...

Then we start over with a new QB.  It's not the end of the world.  I just hope we have a clear picture of where Geno stands by the end of this season.  I think he's shown he can one day be a pretty good player in this league (if he isn't already), but a top tier QB?  We just don't know.

I just hope we have a clear picture of where Geno stands by the end of this season.  I think he's shown he can one day be a pretty good player in this league (if he isn't already), but a top tier QB?  We just don't know.

He certainly has shown he has top tier talent.  He runs much better than advertised, makes plays with his legs,  and he throws 45-50 yard passes with the same motion and velocity as he throws 25-30 yard passes.   A scary combination to try to defense.

He deserves more than the end of his first season to develop into a finished QB.

Pro football: Matt Simms making an impact with Jets

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2013
STAFF WRITER
THE RECORD
1109S6_SIMMS_80p.jpg
FILE PHOTO BY CHRIS PEDOTA/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER
Backup QB Matt Simms' contributions behind the scenes haven't gone unnoticed by the Jets.

FLORHAM PARK – Matt Simms didn't take one snap in the Jets' surprising 26-20 victory over New Orleans six days ago, just as he hasn't in eight of their nine games this season. But when the Franklin Lakes native walked off the field that day, he felt good about his contribution to the victory.

That's because Simms, a first-year NFL player who has been the Jets' No. 2 quarterback since the end of the preseason, leads the scout-team offense during practice. It's his job to prepare the defense for the quarterback they are about to face. In that case, it was New Orleans superstar Drew Brees, who was picked off twice in the first half and couldn't get his team into the end zone after halftime.

"It's a proud feeling," the former Don Bosco standout told The Record, "when you know you gave the defense a good look and [then] they go out there and stop one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

"That's the main thing for me," he added, "get the defense ready and when they stop good quarterbacks like that, I feel I was a part of that accomplishment as well."

Simms beat out third-year pro Greg McElroy for the No. 3 job during training camp, and then ascended to No. 2 when Mark Sanchez suffered a season-ending shoulder injury. Simms has been active for every game, and made a cameo appearance in mop-up duty in a blowout loss at Cincinnati.

He thus far has retained the backup job, holding off veterans Brady Quinn (since released) and current No. 3 David Garrard.

"What I've learned so far in the NFL is that every week is a grind," Simms explained before the Jets dispersed for their bye week. "The biggest thing is to pay attention to the details."

And there are plenty of them. The job of a backup quarterback preparing for a game is a challenging one. Not only must Simms mimic the opposing quarterback in practice to get the Jets' defense ready, he also must be on top of his own team's offensive game plan in case something should happen to starter Geno Smith.

"I've just got to prepare as if I'm the starter every day," Simms said, "and just work even though all my reps are usually getting the defense ready on the scout team. I have to translate what we do as an offense as best as I can while still giving the defense a good look, and at the same time getting myself ready and prepared for that scenario [an injury to Smith] if it does arise."

In June, quarterbacks coach David Lee complimented Simms for his "cannon" of a throwing arm, but said he needed to improve his accuracy. Lee has been very impressed with Simms' progress since then.

"He's shortened his stride and he's really increased his touch," Lee said recently, "and his accuracy has improved phenomenally. … I think the biggest thing is when he went home [after June minicamp], I challenged him with improving his touch [and] improving his accuracy. Of course, he's got a pro NFL quarterback [his father, Phil] sitting there at his house every day. He just worked his tail off and came back and was hitting what he was aiming at and he hasn't missed since.

"He's improved as fast in a short period of time," Lee added, "[as] anybody I can remember in a long time. So, we're pleased with Matt right now. … He's got a lot of charisma. He's got leadership skills. Guys on the team like him."

Email: pelzman@northjersey.com

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/231255781_Pro_football__Matt_Simms_making_an_impact_with_Jets.html?page=all#sthash.WiaSyOQI.dpuf

• 2 weeks later...

I know a lot of you want to think we got a shot for the playoffs but lets be real about this team. If they do squek in they aren't getting passed real teams. After week 11 I feel I've seen enough from Geno. Give the rest of the season to Simms. Either he lights it up or he sucks the same as Geno. At least we know if any of these qbs are worth keeping.

I want Simms starting at Quarterback next week. If Rex wants to save his job he may have to pull out all the stops and right now, we just can't be competitive with how Geno is playing. I don't care if we had the 85 bears defense, we cannot be competitive with Geno being a turnover machine.

I want Simms starting at Quarterback next week. If Rex wants to save his job he may have to pull out all the stops and right now, we just can't be competitive with how Geno is playing. I don't care if we had the 85 bears defense, we cannot be competitive with Geno being a turnover machine.

They'll start Smith, but with a short hook

Cant disagree with you here. Simms got on the field and instantly produced. That lets me know that this is a qb issue.

Are you retarded? You do know the Bills are only rushing 4 and playinmg laid back with a huge lead...Simms would get ROFLSTOMPED

Simms energizes the team every time he gets a chance. When Geno is out there the team has no emotion. Even in those wins you are left unimpressed. All our losses are at the hands of genos turnovers.

Are you retarded? You do know the Bills are only rushing 4 and playinmg laid back with a huge lead...Simms would get ROFLSTOMPED

The very play before our starter threw a pick 6. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the defenses were similar.

Simms energizes the team every time he gets a chance. When Geno is out there the team has no emotion. Even in those wins you are left unimpressed. All our losses are at the hands of genos turnovers.

Really? How about the conservative play calling? What happens then? I'll tell you, the Jets go in the hole and trail by double digits and than it's game over because of a ****load of mistakes that follow when you try to play catch up.

He was thrown into a game down 24 and he was trying to make a play. When Simms took the field if you didn't expect at least a pick then you don't know football #comeupwithsomethingbetter

Exactly ****tard, read what I said above, Geno is DOWN by points and is playng catch up. It's not easy to play from double digit points in the 3rd quarter with no time to throw.

Really? How about the conservative play calling? What happens then? I'll tell you, the Jets go in the hole and trail by double digits and than it's game over because of a ****load of mistakes that follow when you try to play catch up.

I believe the conservative play calling is a result of genos inconsistency...

I believe the conservative play calling is a result of genos inconsistency...

How so? It's the start of the game coming off a bye week....

When the Jets win the game, the play calling at the beginning of the game is generally a bit different. Jets play calling looks like they are playing to lose, while the Bills aired it out and played to win.

How so? It's the start of the game coming off a bye week....

When the Jets win the game, the play calling at the beginning of the game is generally a bit different. Jets play calling looks like they are playing to lose, while the Bills aired it out and played to win.

when he fumbles they run the ball...

Archived