Matt Simms: MERGED

CobraVerde

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had given up 28 points before Geno threw a pick. That's a throwaway game for the offense, especially Geno.

You're kidding right? I mean come on......He is trying to prove himself...there are no throw away games. I am sold that while Geno may improve, he will never be a low interception guy. No thanks..No I can see why 31 teams passed him.

can't believe Geno couldn't cover Marvin Jones you guys

No one is discounting the fact that our secondary is trash, yet you should not use that as an excuse for the horrible and matching play of the QB. Had he played a normal game, the loss would be no where close to where it was and certanly those 2 pick 6 are a huge point swing in any game.

No one is discounting the fact that our secondary is trash, yet you should not use that as an excuse for the horrible and matching play of the QB. Had he played a normal game, the loss would be no where close to where it was and certanly those 2 pick 6 are a huge point swing in any game.

It was a really bad day for Geno, no doubt.  But he 100 % continues to deserve to start with confidence.  We knew there'd be ups and downs, but he's responded well after every one of his "down" games.  The Saints with Brees putting up points and Rob Ryan running the D will be another hugely difficult test for him.

It sucks no doubt but the offense needs to respond. The plays that worry me about Geno arent the multiple pick 6's it's the lack of awareness that an extra rusher is coming. they send 7, Geno has 6 blockers and doesn't get rid of it. The book is written on Geno right now until he can get the ball out quicker, under pressure, teams will just keep sending the REggie Nelsons of the world.  When the other team sends a safety, someone's  wide open. 

C'mon man you're smarter than this. Reads on the line of scrimmage come with time. No rookie outside of Luck is good at this. His two biggest problems are reading blitzes, which is extremely difficult for a rookie to do and staring down receivers on out routes. Both of these issues are extremely correctable and come with experience.

Yeah I woulda felt much better about 35-9.

Geno was dogsh*t yesterday. But the overwhelming obsession of this place after a loss is the assignment of blame, and if we're playing that game, it looks like:

1. Defense

2. Coaching

15. Everything else

/ninjaed

Only losing 49-14 wouldn't really make me any happier today. 

Exactly. It wasn't a throwaway game but the gameplan goes out the window when the game starts 28-3 or 28-6....whatever it was when he threw the first pick 6. As a rookie QB who is used to having to put up 40+ pts in college you start to press and think that its all on you to bring the team back so you make stupid passes. I am not surprised. He has to learn to let some things go and not try to do too much.

And not for nothing he looked really pissed at Kerley on that route. I watched it again and Kerley made a weird cut on it. He was clearly supposed to cutoutside and back instead of cutting outside and up. Whatever tho...Geno still has to see it but this game wasn't on him.

And yet, they still didn't give you an interview....

I know people who work in the NFL it's like working for the military but the free clothes are more colorful.  the money stinks (unless you are at the top) and they don't have any patience for free thinkers or free speakers. 

I know people who work in the NFL it's like working for the military but the free clothes are more colorful.  the money stinks (unless you are at the top) and they don't have any patience for free thinkers or free speakers. 

Genius is never appreciated in its own time.

I saw this nonsense coming when he entered in the fourth quarter. Same people who were screaming for Tebow last year. 

it aint the same people. There is a big difference between Tebow & Simms. dont be stupid. WE all know Geno is the starter. Does that make you happy now? 

• 2 weeks later...

it aint the same people. There is a big difference between Tebow & Simms. dont be stupid. WE all know Geno is the starter. Does that make you happy now? 

There is actually very little difference.  Tebow is no longer in the league and soon enough Simms will suffer the same fate.  Pretty aggressive retort when all I was doing was commenting on what was actually happening and what always happens on this site.  Uneducated football fans calling for changes that are never going to happen and should not ever happen.  You have no impact on my happiness but in general yes I am happy.

... Tebow is no longer in the league and soon enough Simms will suffer the same fate. 

You don't know that at all.

Simms didn't do well in his college career, maybe his father pulled some strings to get him a tryout with the Jets but that's all it got him.  Simms impressed on his own enough to get invited back for this season.  He started the preseason as camp fodder but many think he was the best QB in training camp. Reportedly there was some debate when Sanchez went down if they would go with Geno, the prized rookie, or Simms.

Geno has played himself into permanent starterhood but that doesn't mean Simms is at the end of the line.  QBs who can play effectively are still very much in demand, and right now the Jets seem to feel pretty good about Simms as their backup.  If that doesn't work out, there are always a few teams who are willing to give new QBs a chance because their present crew isn't getting it done.

Archived