Cimini Prediction Jets 6-10

flgreen

New York Jets prediction: 6-10

August, 28, 2013

Aug 28

10:15

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The rebuilding Jets will miss the playoffs for the third straight year, and it will be curtains for Rex Ryan.

New general manager John Idzik gutted the roster, hoping to create salary-cap room for 2014. In the process, he forgot to import enough talent to compete in 2013. The uncertainty at quarterback, coupled with a difficult first-half schedule, will leave them out of contention by Halloween. The second half of the year will be all about trying to determine whether Geno Smith is their future.

Ryan is a defensive master and has enough leftover talent to build a respectable unit, which should keep them in most games. But the offense? It could be hard to watch. Marty Mornhinweg is an experienced playcaller, but he simply doesn't have enough weapons for his West Coast offense. They'll trick it up, using Wildcat and pistol formations -- smoke and mirrors in an attempt to camouflage the lack of talent. The lack of stability at quarterback will doom the team and could divide the locker room. Smith has talent, but he's raw and immature. Mark Sanchez, public enemy No. 1 in New York, has too many scars to succeed. He needs a change of scenery.

No one said rebuilding is easy.

Predicted finish in AFC East: third

This team is desperate for a guy who can sell jerseys on offense. A Ray Rice, AJ Green...a player like that.

Sick of watching sh*tty offense, with no one who's capable of making a play on his own. 

Which is what happens when your top picks are always either DBs, DL guys or Mark Sanchez.

Which is what happens when your top picks are always either DBs, DL guys or Mark Sanchez.

Exactly. Quinton Coples we could have done without. Would have preferred a WR or TE that could stretch the field offensively, but T-Rex supplied us with Derrick Mason and Plaxico Burress while letting Cotchery, Edwards, Thomas Jones walk. Rex has ignored the offense at every turn, which is one reason I think he is half a HC at best.

This team is desperate for a guy who can sell jerseys on offense. A Ray Rice, AJ Green...a player like that.

Sick of watching sh*tty offense, with no one who's capable of making a play on his own. 

dude they drafted Geno SMith and Brian Winters. Cmon. Idzik's got this. 

Exactly. Quinton Coples we could have done without. Would have preferred a WR or TE that could stretch the field offensively, but T-Rex supplied us with Derrick Mason and Plaxico Burress while letting Cotchery, Edwards, Thomas Jones walk. Rex has ignored the offense at every turn, which is one reason I think he is half a HC at best.

We could have done without Stephen Hill.

dude they drafted Geno SMith and Brian Winters. Cmon. Idzik's got this. 

I'm not blaming anyone in particular, this has preceded Rex...the Jets just havent been able to get that stud offensive player....since really Keyshawn and even he wasnt a superstar.

Been forever since we've had that.

This is a 10 win team people.  Maybe more.

My official prediction is 9 wins.  But as long as Mark's Sanchez holds up I think this could be the season.  That's right. Super Bowl. 

I have been watching the Jets for a long time and I am really feeling good about them right now.  Things are lining up nicely.

This is a 10 win team people. Maybe more.

My official prediction is 9 wins. But as long as Mark's Sanchez holds up I think this could be the season. That's right. Super Bowl.

I have been watching the Jets for a long time and I am really feeling good about them right now. Things are lining up nicely.

you've changed your tune and decided alcohol is the way to go. great news, but you shouldn't overdo it when you're just getting started.

My official prediction is 9 wins.  But as long as Mark's Sanchez holds up I think this could be the season.  That's right. Super Bowl. 

I have been watching the Jets for a long time and I am really feeling good about them right now.  Things are lining up nicely.

The forever optimist - we hate your kind..... :evilgrin0031:

you've changed your tune and decided alcohol is the way to go. great news, but you shouldn't overdo it when you're just getting started.

LOL.

No I am going to stick with Orange soda apparently.  It has gotten me this far.  :)

I just don't see this as a 6 win team. I think the worst case is 8-8, unless Marty is just awful. Sparano was attrocious, as bad as Sanchez was last year, which was historically bad, Sparano may have been that bad as an OC. Even if Marty is just competent, not even good, that is a huge upgrade even with sh*tchez. The defense should be better than last year IMO, so I think Marty alone is worth at least an extra 2 wins. I think this team is going 9-7 or 10-6.

This is a 10 win team people. Maybe more.

My official prediction is 9 wins. But as long as Mark's Sanchez holds up I think this could be the season. That's right. Super Bowl.

I have been watching the Jets for a long time and I am really feeling good about them right now. Things are lining up nicely.

You should ban yourself for that one.

So, how's that head injury going for you?

Take a look at the 2012 draft, and with all your amazing powers of hindsight, please tell us which dynamic offensive playmaker you would've taken over Quinton Coples.

New York Jets prediction: 6-10

August, 28, 2013

Aug 28

10:15

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The rebuilding Jets will miss the playoffs for the third straight year, and it will be curtains for Rex Ryan.

New general manager John Idzik gutted the roster, hoping to create salary-cap room for 2014. In the process, he forgot to import enough talent to compete in 2013. 

This comment is so typically assinine Cimini. Yeah Rich, I'm sure that slipped his mind. 

No you jackass, he had a limited budget to fill a bunch of holes and had to make due. Idzik is playing a long game Richie. He is not merely concerned about this year. That kind of thinking by Tannenbaum got us into this mess. Sorry if this bothers you because you didn't get to write about the Jets signing a celebrated free agent, you imbecilic asshead. 

This comment is so typically assinine Cimini. Yeah Rich, I'm sure that slipped his mind. 

No you jackass, he had a limited budget to fill a bunch of holes and had to make due. Idzik is playing a long game Richie. He is not merely concerned about this year. That kind of thinking by Tannenbaum got us into this mess. Sorry if this bothers you because you didn't get to write about the Jets signing a celebrated free agent, you imbecilic asshead. 

Not that I disagree with your assessment of  Cimini, but the weird thing about this is I read the other day that the Jets have close to $10,000,000 in cap space right now.

Most peculiar

I'm not blaming anyone in particular, this has preceded Rex...the Jets just havent been able to get that stud offensive player....since really Keyshawn and even he wasnt a superstar.

Interesting fact, the last time the Jets drafted 2 offensive players in the first 2 rounds, 2001.  Moss and Jordan.

Another interesting fact, Rex Ryan has only drafted 9 defensive players with his 28 picks. 

Not that I disagree with your assessment of  Cimini, but the weird thing about this is I read the other day that the Jets have close to $10,000,000 in cap space right now.

Most peculiar

10 million in a league where the typical top player at a skill position makes at least 8 million ain't a lot of money. 

Interesting fact, the last time the Jets drafted 2 offensive players in the first 2 rounds, 2001.  Moss and Jordan.

Another interesting fact, Rex Ryan has only drafted 9 defensive players with his 28 picks. 

Moss turned out to be a stud for the Skins and Jordan..well Herm was a moron.

As far as the 9 defensive players...what percentage of those picks were in rounds 1 and 2? And I said this lack of star caliber players on offense predates Rex.

Most peculiar

This is true, although you also have to consider that most of that space wasn't freed up until long after the initial FA rush (e.g., all of the money they gained from the Revis trade).  Of course there could be an entirely different debate about whether the Jets could have done that all earlier in order to make more moves in FA, but they didn't seem to be all that concerned with doing so.

10 million in a league where the typical top player at a skill position makes at least 8 million ain't a lot of money. 

Not arguing with you Klecko, but you don't have to get the top players, just guys that aren't active users of Medi Care

Archived