A Few Thoughts/Observations On Last Night

CrazyCarl40

Here are just a few things about last night I would like to put out there after the game last night:

-We can harp on the wide receivers, and we have with many different threads, so I won't do that here.  I would like to see Obomanu get some play and I would like for them to bring in some guys over the long week and see who might be available.  Maybe a Steve Breaston, maybe bring back Massaquoi again, Laurent Robinson is out there.  They have to let guys know that jobs are on the line when you don't perform.

-The defense is really good, almost great.  The Pats used quick passes to avoid the pass rush that the Jets were generating just with 4 or 5 guys.  That said, the safeties on this team leave much to be desired.  It seems Edelman was beating those guys and linebackers from the slot more often than not. I'm not sure about the 2014 draft crop, but hopefully this position along with WR are addressed next season. We definitely downgraded on Landrys.

-Miliner isn't ready for prime time yet, but he will be.  Have to give him some time to adjust.  That said, I think Darrin Walls should be CB #2 going forward.  The guy balled out all preseason long and played well after being inserted into the lineup last night.  He's already better than Wilson, who is lucky he didn't get a penalty before a fourth down when he smacked a Patriot and could have cost the Jets dearly.

-Geno Smith has a long way to go, but he has the time to get there.  I am very intrigued to see how he will perform after a bad fourth quarter.  Too often Sanchez let a bad game bleed into the next week. Let's see what Geno is really made of at home in a winnable game against the Bills. I know it's early, but it will tell us a lot about the young QB.

-Mike Westhoff was rolling in his Lazyboy last night watching no returner back on several punts. Maybe the fact that Wilson was so bad at it was the reason to try to block, but they never came close and there were lanes to be run.  Maybe they can kill two birds with one stone by bringing in a WR who is also a solid PR.

-The punt coverage was terrible and luckily Edelman didn't break any.

-Mangold made a bad decision, but I don't think it was an intentional dirty play.  Talib just needs to get down or out of bounds.  Hopefully there are no suspensions from it, even though Belichick was the instigator (douche).

-The game last night proved two things to me, while the Jets won't be great they certainly will be able to make a game of it every week. Second, the Patriots aren't nearly as good as everyone thought they would be and even when Gronk comes back, he won't fix all of their issues. Which makes me happy.

-All of this said, I still think Rex is coaching for his job. He can hang his hat on his defense all he wants, but there are three facets to this game and two of them failed last night. His seat isn't on firt yet, but the temperature is rising. Last night was a winnable game and he is a late hit penalty away from being 0-2.

I was cool with having nobody back to return kicks. Kyle Wilson scares the sh*t outta me back there. All I could think on the last drive is "please don't muff this punt" and with nobody back there it couldn't happen.

I was glad to see Rex hold Milliner accountable by benching him.

Here are just a few things about last night I would like to put out there after the game last night:

-We can harp on the wide receivers, and we have with many different threads, so I won't do that here.  I would like to see Obomanu get some play and I would like for them to bring in some guys over the long week and see who might be available.  Maybe a Steve Breaston, maybe bring back Massaquoi again, Laurent Robinson is out there.  They have to let guys know that jobs are on the line when you don't perform.

-The defense is really good, almost great.  The Pats used quick passes to avoid the pass rush that the Jets were generating just with 4 or 5 guys.  That said, the safeties on this team leave much to be desired.  It seems Edelman was beating those guys and linebackers from the slot more often than not. I'm not sure about the 2014 draft crop, but hopefully this position along with WR are addressed next season. We definitely downgraded on Landrys.

-Miliner isn't ready for prime time yet, but he will be.  Have to give him some time to adjust.  That said, I think Darrin Walls should be CB #2 going forward.  The guy balled out all preseason long and played well after being inserted into the lineup last night.  He's already better than Wilson, who is lucky he didn't get a penalty before a fourth down when he smacked a Patriot and could have cost the Jets dearly.

-Geno Smith has a long way to go, but he has the time to get there.  I am very intrigued to see how he will perform after a bad fourth quarter.  Too often Sanchez let a bad game bleed into the next week. Let's see what Geno is really made of at home in a winnable game against the Bills. I know it's early, but it will tell us a lot about the young QB.

-Mike Westhoff was rolling in his Lazyboy last night watching no returner back on several punts. Maybe the fact that Wilson was so bad at it was the reason to try to block, but they never came close and there were lanes to be run.  Maybe they can kill two birds with one stone by bringing in a WR who is also a solid PR.

-The punt coverage was terrible and luckily Edelman didn't break any.

-Mangold made a bad decision, but I don't think it was an intentional dirty play.  Talib just needs to get down or out of bounds.  Hopefully there are no suspensions from it, even though Belichick was the instigator (douche).

-The game last night proved two things to me, while the Jets won't be great they certainly will be able to make a game of it every week. Second, the Patriots aren't nearly as good as everyone thought they would be and even when Gronk comes back, he won't fix all of their issues. Which makes me happy.

-All of this said, I still think Rex is coaching for his job. He can hang his hat on his defense all he wants, but there are three facets to this game and two of them failed last night. His seat isn't on firt yet, but the temperature is rising. Last night was a winnable game and he is a late hit penalty away from being 0-2.

You put some thought into this and deserve more than a wise, one line reply so here I go:

- The receivers, generally are terrible, and I don't know if I can stop harping just yet. I would like to see, and expect to see, Free Agency combed over. However I also blame our clueless Head Coach, for throwing Geno into the fire on week 1, vis a vis Sanchez's moronic Snoopy Bowl appearance. I think that's a fire able offense.

- The D is not anywhere near great. The DL may have taken a big step back if Mo is hurt. The middle is a place of weakness, and like you said the safeties suck. Any decent WR will kill both Cromartie and the linebackers with slants or over the middle. Milliner is not ready at all. So we have a good DL and that's about it. We should have given up double or triple the points last night but drops bailed us out.

-Geno is young and got hosed by his staff and I'm wondering, our GM, but that remains to be seen. Three 4th quarter INT's by a young QB who doesn't trust going downfield or into tight coverage is probably what you'll get with the game on the line, because your receivers suck. That'll change, he looks pretty promising.

-Kyle Wilson doesn't like contact. Can't cover, can't return punts, why is he on this team? Depth? Crabtree may be the replacement

-The Pats are not good this year, but are hurt, but do not feel bad for these assholes, it is karma

So, let me get this right?  You would rather see Zombieoff's special(ed) teams muff punts and run backwards rather than see no one back there?

I would like to see someone back there who has a chance to make a place on special teams and change the field position or the game.  It makes me long for Jim Leonhard back there.

There is no way you should be in a position where you have no one to return kicks. To lose valuable yardage in a close game is inexcusable

It does seem like poor coaching. To be precise I can understand how in the game with the rain coming down like that maybe you don't want Kyle Wilson muffing the punt.  but how come the Jets are in that position in the first place?  Poor personnel decisions.

MM has to take some of the blame here.  I really like the guys O so I'm not throwing him under the bus, but with the weather conditions being what they were, and the Jets running the ball well, and only down by 3.  Gotta pound the football

The 4Q interceptions came on 3rd and 4, 3rd and 5 and 2nd and 10 (with 38 seconds left) not exactly running situations

I would like to see someone back there who has a chance to make a place on special teams and change the field position or the game.  It makes me long for Jim Leonhard back there.

I agree 100%!  Kyle Wilson is just another waste of a roster spot imo.

Great post, but I wanted to respond to this bullet specifically --- I agree, and it doesn't bode well for Rex that his defense choked away the lead to Tampa, and had to rely on getting lucky for that win. The Pats game should have been ours, statistically we out-played them all game. There's no excuse for not beating the Patriots when all they can score is 13. There defense is old and slow.

This is the first time in history that having no punt returner to return punts is preferable than having a punt returner.  We used to have the sure-handed Cotchery returning punts when there was no choice, just to have SOMEONE back there. But to have NO ONE back there is pretty pathetic. It's kind of comical that nobody is badk there... I guess there is something to it. Just hope the ball takes a bounce your way, and that is better than having a guy fumble it.... 

CrazyCarl and BleedGreen, good posts.

I agree about the WRs.  Especially with them struggling so much Thursday night, I am disappointed and more than a little surprised that Mornhinweg didn't choose to run the ball more since the Jets were having luck running the ball.  I get it that he is a WCO guy and likes to throw the ball, but thought he supposedly ran the ball more than other WCO guys.  With the WRs struggling so much, I think that would have been not only better for Geno but for the whole team.  It could have kept the D more rested, Brady off the field, and quite likely, put more points on the board.  Hill has shown improvement, but he's not much (if any) more ready than Geno.  With Gates struggling, Spadola and Obomanu should have gotten some snaps.  I definitely think they ought to kick the tires on some other FA WRs, but I'm torn.  To maximize the draft picks next year and thus improve the team quicker, the higher the draft picks, the better.  So, I'm not sure that bringing in vets is what's best for the team in the long run.  They'll probably play better and get the team more wins, but I don't think the team would go anywhere even with them, so it may be best to just go with the young kids and hope they develop.  I say may, because, I don't want Geno to get in bad habits or lose confidence because he starts pressing due to the poor WRs. 

A number of people have criticized Idzik for Garrard, and other moves (and non-moves), but the one I'm most disappointed in is that he didn't acquire a PR.  Granted that Kerley has been the PR, but he hasn't exactly overwhelmed as the PR, plus he's a starter.  Now, I know that the Jets could only address so many holes this year, but I think using a 6th or 7th round pick on a PR would have been a better investment than a project OL.  If nothing else, there should have been someone available in FA.  Wilson is not the answer.  I guess maybe they were counting on McKnight to fill that role and then he screwed the pooch.

With regard to Edelman, I don't recall seeing them hitting him at the LOS and delaying him or knocking him off his routes.  It took them a long time to start doubling him, and then they still couldn't cover or tackle him.  For a great defensive coach, Rex's players sure can't tackle for sheit.  I know that part of that is due to the lack of 2 a days and only hitting 2x a week in practice, but that can't be an excuse.   They have to focus on that and learn how to wrap up ball carriers.

On the punts I remember, the coverage guys got there, just couldn't tackle Edelman.  He should have been stopped for little or no gain most of the time.

I agree regarding Mangold.  It looked to me that he launched himself at Talib when Talib was still in bounds, then Talib stepped out of bounds and Mangold was in mid-air and there was nothing he could do.

Great post, but I wanted to respond to this bullet specifically --- I agree, and it doesn't bode well for Rex that his defense choked away the lead to Tampa, and had to rely on getting lucky for that win. The Pats game should have been ours, statistically we out-played them all game. There's no excuse for not beating the Patriots when all they can score is 13. There defense is old and slow.

That was the case a year or so ago, but I'm not so sure that is true any more.  They have several young guys who have some speed:  Chandler Jones, Donta Hightower and some other guys who aren't that slow.  Mayo is still only 27 and he's plenty fast enough too.

The wide receivers dropping the ball most of the time didn't help at all neither did Morninwegs play calling which was atrocious. Santonio Holmes should of caught that ball thrown to him in the redzone that was his job instead he tipped it in the air and it was intercepted. The Jets should of ran the ball on that redzone drive that ended as a int you cannot have a rookie throw as much as Geno did that's unnecessary when the jets have two good running backs. Morninweg is an idiot he should of called run plays more the jets had a chance until the jets passed the ball too much then it was intercepted which was very disappointing. The defense was the only good aspect of Thursdays game. Well Go Jets

Archived