Report: Revis is not happy, that didn't take long

DRJETS

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/09/16/report-darrelle-revis-unhappy-greg-schianos-rules-schemes/

Things are on the verge of going very, very wrong in Tampa Bay, because now yet another star player has something to be upset about.

Mike Garafolo of Fox Sports reported on Fox Sports Live that Darrelle Revis is upset with Greg Schiano’s rules, and the amount of zone coverage that’s being played in Tampa Bay. 

I will give full credit to Sander at Bucs Nation, who expressed concerns over the offseason that Greg Schiano did not commit to using Darrelle Revis in the typical “Darrelle Revis” fashion. Acquiring the best cornerback in the league, who is dominant in man coverage, and then running zone defense seems to make about as much sense as getting an athletic quarterback and not allowing him to run or get out of the pocket.

(See what I did there?)

This is big news, and further evidence of where the issues in Tampa Bay seem to be coming from. As I wrote not so long ago, Greg Schiano just doesn’t seem to “get it.”

He has some of the best players in the world on his team, and he’s continually failing to put them in a position to succeed. Using Darrelle Revis in zone coverage, not utilizing Josh Freeman’s mobility and running bad stunts on the defensive line are all symptoms of the same problem.

Greg Schiano does not prepare his team based on their abilities, but rather on his own ideals.

And that’s fine in college, because many players are run-of-the-mill average athletes who can succeed when placed into a certain role and allowed to exceed expectations because they’re being used in a specific way that hides their flaws.

But in the NFL, players have elite skillsets that must be used to gain an advantage on the opponent. Darrelle Revis is the best cover corner of this generation, and one of the best in the history of the NFL. Using him in zone more often than he wants to be used in zone is absolutely unacceptable.

It seems like Greg Schiano’s welcome is wearing out very quickly in Tampa Bay. So far, it’s all just reports and rumors. But those generate from somewhere, and where there’s smoke, there’s fire. Schiano needs to be careful, or he will lose this locker room in a hurry, if he hasn’t already.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things are on the verge of going very, very wrong in Tampa Bay, because now yet another star player has something to be upset about.

Mike Garafolo of Fox Sports reported on Fox Sports Live that Darrelle Revis is upset with Greg Schiano’s rules, and the amount of zone coverage that’s being played in Tampa Bay. 

I will give full credit to Sander at Bucs Nation, who expressed concerns over the offseason that Greg Schiano did not commit to using Darrelle Revis in the typical “Darrelle Revis” fashion. Acquiring the best cornerback in the league, who is dominant in man coverage, and then running zone defense seems to make about as much sense as getting an athletic quarterback and not allowing him to run or get out of the pocket.

(See what I did there?)

This is big news, and further evidence of where the issues in Tampa Bay seem to be coming from. As I wrote not so long ago, Greg Schiano just doesn’t seem to “get it.”

He has some of the best players in the world on his team, and he’s continually failing to put them in a position to succeed. Using Darrelle Revis in zone coverage, not utilizing Josh Freeman’s mobility and running bad stunts on the defensive line are all symptoms of the same problem.

Greg Schiano does not prepare his team based on their abilities, but rather on his own ideals.

And that’s fine in college, because many players are run-of-the-mill average athletes who can succeed when placed into a certain role and allowed to exceed expectations because they’re being used in a specific way that hides their flaws.

But in the NFL, players have elite skillsets that must be used to gain an advantage on the opponent. Darrelle Revis is the best cover corner of this generation, and one of the best in the history of the NFL. Using him in zone more often than he wants to be used in zone is absolutely unacceptable.

It seems like Greg Schiano’s welcome is wearing out very quickly in Tampa Bay. So far, it’s all just reports and rumors. But those generate from somewhere, and where there’s smoke, there’s fire. Schiano needs to be careful, or he will lose this locker room in a hurry, if he hasn’t already.

Report: Darrelle Revis Unhappy with Greg Schiano’s Rules and Schemes

Do you really think there's another team in the league willing to take on that contract, not to mention give up a pick for it in the process? There's a reason the Bucs were the only bidder to the Jets.

No, but if they could, the Bucs could get off scott free.

Do you really think there's another team in the league willing to take on that contract, not to mention give up a pick for it in the process?  There's a reason the Bucs were the only bidder to the Jets.

Revis coming off injury was a big piece of that.

A high priced contract is not a huge problem, a high priced long term deal is. Revis is a tradeble commodity because he can be discarded easily.

Not saying it will happen....

Do you really think there's another team in the league willing to take on that contract, not to mention give up a pick for it in the process? There's a reason the Bucs were the only bidder to the Jets.

SB contender if the salary gets prorated? Some teams could have the space in a couple weeks if so.

No, but if they could, the Bucs could get off scott free.

This is true, and Revis' past ways clearly played a large part in them even designing a contract like that, which is pretty much unheard of in the NFL.  That said, I can't imagine any way they could come close to recouping what they gave the Jets, especially with how much Revis is being paid.  We sure as hell know Revis won't be agreeing to a pay cut in this lifetime, so that will certainly be a factor.  My guess is even with any problems he has there, he'll still be there for an absolute minimum of two years.

Revis coming off injury was a big piece of that.

A high priced contract is not a huge problem, a high priced long term deal is. Revis is a tradeble commodity because he can be discarded easily.

Not saying it will happen....

SB contender if the salary gets prorated? Some teams could have the space in a couple weeks if so.

Both fair points, but I still can't see any way a team makes an offer anywhere close to what the Bucs gave up for him, especially if you're talking about a midseason trade.  That alone I think would keep them from pulling the trigger.  Plus, if the reports about the issues between the GM and Schiano are true, then I'd imagine he wouldn't be particularly keen on the idea of sending his big acquisition packing right away because of a coach he apparently isn't even getting along with.

He is being used in zone, and not on a man Revis Island.. so he isn't happy.

This is such an easy fix, lock Revis man to man, and run a zone with the rest of the players, Rex schemed plays like this all the time, hell he even did it with both Cro, and Revis man up on one player on the outside while the other 5-6 guys all played a zone, complicated stuff, but it's very doable, and stupid not to use if you can with a talent like Revis!

guys you all should know how easily a rumor like this can get started. Revis tells a teammate he was not happy because he was not covering main WR that guy tells another guy and so on no telling how far crap like that can go and with a guy like Revis its probably pretty far .

I don't think Revis is running around practice pouting or carrying on in the locker room but everyone complains to some extent especially when you lose. Revis probably felt Schiano would use him the same way Rex did and when that didn't happen, to which Schiano made that very clear early on and probably in talks with Revis before the trade I'm not sure how this becomes such a big issue other than we are talking about such a high profile player everything will get blown out of proportion.

Does everyone really expect a football coach to change his entire philosophy based on one man ? Or should that superstar player be able to adapt to any system his coach wants him to play in ? This is not Lawrence Taylor who can disrupt and entire offense this is Darrelle Revis who covers 1 WR or plays in a Zone and makes plays. Maybe Schiano thinks Revis can make more disruptive plays in a zone scheme rather than being completely ignored by QB's that simply won't throw his way.  Maybe Shiano thinks he can get a Woodson like performance out of Revis if he moves him around disrupting the QB and possible creating some turnovers.

guys you all should know how easily a rumor like this can get started. Revis tells a teammate he was not happy because he was not covering main WR that guy tells another guy and so on no telling how far crap like that can go and with a guy like Revis its probably pretty far .

I don't think Revis is running around practice pouting or carrying on in the locker room but everyone complains to some extent especially when you lose. Revis probably felt Schiano would use him the same way Rex did and when that didn't happen, to which Schiano made that very clear early on and probably in talks with Revis before the trade I'm not sure how this becomes such a big issue other than we are talking about such a high profile player everything will get blown out of proportion.

Does everyone really expect a football coach to change his entire philosophy based on one man ? Or should that superstar player be able to adapt to any system his coach wants him to play in ? This is not Lawrence Taylor who can disrupt and entire offense this is Darrelle Revis who covers 1 WR or plays in a Zone and makes plays. Maybe Schiano thinks Revis can make more disruptive plays in a zone scheme rather than being completely ignored by QB's that simply won't throw his way.  Maybe Shiano thinks he can get a Woodson like performance out of Revis if he moves him around disrupting the QB and possible creating some turnovers.

yeah

The post seems to be from a fan site.  I quickly went and looked thru the local papers on it.  Didn't see anything.  Sounds like someone is speculating, based on the Bucs poor start, and Revis being used wrong.  Who knows.

Still doubt they continue with his contract

Wouldn't it be funny if the Bucs don't keep Revis next year, and that's very possible, and he winds back up on the Jets at the kind of money he's worth?

Nah

Lets say something like this does happen and Tampa wants out. Would you offer Revis 12 mil to come back due to our Strong cap situation ? Then bring in a boat load of offensive players that can actually play ? You would think the Defense would be set for years with all the young talent we really just need some explosive Players on offense to get this team rolling IMO.

Archived