Ryan, Pettine----Frenemies

flgreen

Ryan, Pettine go from friends to frenemies

September, 18, 2013

Sep 18

9:56

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Rex Ryan, Mike PettineWilliam Perlman/THE STAR-LEDGER/USA TODAY SportsBrotherly bond aside, Rex Ryan, left, and Mike Pettine "will want to beat other's brains in" on Sunday.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- As he sat in his office earlier this week, Rex Ryan received a text message from an old friend. It was actually a photo of Israel Kamakawiwo’ole –- aka Bruddah Iz, the late Hawaiian singer-songwriter. The New York Jets head coach laughed.

The text came from his former defensive coordinator, Mike Pettine, who now holds the same title with the Buffalo Bills. Ryan and Pettine used to listen to Bruddah Iz’s music during their long nights of game planning at the Jets’ facility. Pettine was so into Iz that he owned a book on him and made T-shirts.

You might say Ryan and Pettine were the Wizards of Iz, because those brainstorming sessions produced four seasons of terrific defense.

Their working relationship, which began as mentor/pupil in 2002 with the Baltimore Ravens, ended in January after 11 years. It was time.

After years of coaching in Ryan’s shadow, Pettine wanted to go out on his own, knowing his best chance to become a head coach would be to run his own defense. That way, he wouldn’t be viewed as Ryan’s puppet. He left with Ryan’s blessing, although Ryan wasn’t thrilled that he remained in the AFC East.

Their coaching marriage ran its course, which happens sometimes in sports. Once upon a time, Bill Belichick felt the need to break away from Bill Parcells. Years later, Eric Mangini decided to leave the Belichick nest, although that was hardly a fond farewell.

Pettine’s departure probably was good for the Jets as well because, according to several sources, his personality grated on some of the players. Ryan handed the defense to Pettine last season, and there was unrest in the defensive room, the sources said. One former defensive player described Pettine as “arrogant,” adding, “A bunch of players didn’t particularly care for him.”

That he made a lateral career move raised eyebrows, fueling speculation that he and Ryan had a falling-out. Pettine, speaking to reporters Wednesday in Buffalo, said that wasn’t the case at all. He said he was offered a contract extension before last season, but decided to coach out his deal, becoming a free agent. He wanted to see if there was a better opportunity, and he believes he found it with the Bills.

“He wants to be a head coach in this league and sometimes, rightly or wrongly, they’re going to attach everything we do defensively to me,” Ryan said. “If you’ve got a chance to go out and make your own name, he deserves that opportunity. I expect him to be a head coach. I hope he’s a head coach because I want him to hire my son. There’s a lot of truth to that.”

Ryan has taken a hands-on approach with the defense, acting as the de facto coordinator. He loves being in that role, and the players love that he’s back in the classroom, teaching the schemes he created.

On Sunday, Ryan will unleash his knowledge against Bills rookie quarterback EJ Manuel. Pettine will do the same toward Jets rookie Geno Smith, using a lot of the same concepts he learned at Ryan’s side. You can’t call it a chess match because they won’t be calling plays directly against each other, but it will be ultra-competitive.

Ryan said it’ll be like facing his brother, Rob, a well-traveled defensive coordinator currently with the New Orleans Saints.

“We’ll want to beat each other’s brains in,” Ryan said. “From a competitive standpoint, you don’t want to whip anyone worse than you want to whip your own brother. It’ll be great competition. It’s OK for you to whip your brother’s ass, you just don’t want anyone else to whip it. That’s kind of where we’re at.”

Even on vacation, Ryan and Pettine competed, engaging in heated contests of beach washers, an accuracy-toss game. Pettine claimed he dominated Ryan. He hopes to do the same Sunday.

“I'd be a liar if I stood here and said this game didn't mean more to me or I didn't want to win it,” Pettine said.

In the meantime, they’re enjoying some friendly back-and-forth banter via text-messaging. Ryan told Pettine he was going to punch him in the face at the game -- a joking reference to LaDainian Tomlinson’s revelation last week that Ryan once joked in a pregame speech that he wanted to punch Belichick.

And, of course, there was the picture of Bruddah Iz, whose soft voice belied his massive body. He reportedly once weighed as much as 750 pounds. Ryan and Pettine joked about his weight, but they loved his Hawaiian reggae. They like to think they made beautiful music together while listening to it.

Now they’re frenemies.

I get the reason why it's being painted as Rex for Pettine, but I find it humorous that neither men touch the offense and somehow they're competing against one another.  If I were the Bills I'd be worried about Marty and vice versa.  I do expect to see Manue's worst performance of the season this Sunday, although he has really impressed me when I watched him.

What crap.  Everyone knows that Pettine left because he had to get away from the Jets circus, where he'd had enough of Rex, grew tired of being the only adult in the room, and got tired of Rex taking credit for his work as the real brains behind the operation (much like Belichick in 2000 had just had it with Parcells).  Plus he went to Buffalo, staying in the division, as a last little f*ck you to Ryan who tried making him the scapegoat for a failed season by taking away the defensive playcalling.  The end.

What crap.  Everyone knows that Pettine left because he had to get away from the Jets circus, where he'd had enough of Rex, grew tired of being the only adult in the room, and got tired of Rex taking credit for his work as the real brains behind the operation (much like Belichick in 2000 had just had it with Parcells).  Plus he went to Buffalo, staying in the division, as a last little f*ck you to Ryan who tried making him the scapegoat for a failed season by taking away the defensive playcalling.  The end.

Seem's a little radical huh..? idk about all that....

In the new deal the Jets offered Pettine, was a clause that he would become the next HC of the Jets, should Rex be fired. Pettine said hell no Im not gonna screw Rex like that and never signed the contract. That's why he did a lateral move to Buffalo. Woody wanted Rex's defense without all the mess of Rex Ryan. 

In the new deal the Jets offered Pettine, was a clause that he would become the next HC of the Jets, should Rex be fired. Pettine said hell no Im not gonna screw Rex like that and never signed the contract. That's why he did a lateral move to Buffalo. Woody wanted Rex's defense without all the mess of Rex Ryan. 

Where did you hear/read that?

You DO NOT give a clause that they will be a successor. Too much can change, and look at the mess it created with BB.

You DO NOT give a clause that they will be a successor. Too much can change, and look at the mess it created with BB.

it wasn't going to be an open ended situation. they were gonna sign Pettine, fire Rex and elevate Pettine all in one offseason. 

it wasn't going to be an open ended situation. they were gonna sign Pettine, fire Rex and elevate Pettine all in one offseason. 

This doesn't make sense on several levels. 

First, I believe they approached Pettine earlier last year-When there was no "hot seat" on Rex.

Secondly, as stupid as Woody appears sometimes, they would never get away putting a clause in a contract that Pettine would be successor, while Rex is still there, without Rex finding out.

I ask again, what is your source? Or is this conjecture on your part.

This doesn't make sense on several levels. 

First, I believe they approached Pettine earlier last year-When there was no "hot seat" on Rex.

Secondly, as stupid as Woody appears sometimes, they would never get away putting a clause in a contract that Pettine would be successor, while Rex is still there, without Rex finding out.

I ask again, what is your source? Or is this conjecture on your part.

there was an article I have to dig it out. If it makes a difference the timing was a couple weeks after butt fumble. At that point Woody wanted to clean house but didn't want to lose the only decent part of the team, Rex's defense.

And no they wouldn't do it without Rex finding out which is (one reason) why Pettine said no. 

Pettine's entire coaching career has either been in the shadow of his father (CB West coaching legend) or Rex Ryan. He had to break out to prove he is his own man.

First I ever heard that.  Where did you get that from?  :)

Pettine's entire coaching career has either been in the shadow of his father (CB West coaching legend) or Rex Ryan. He had to break out to prove he is his own man.

Pettine is still the 2nd best high school football coach in his own house.

First I ever heard that.  Where did you get that from?  :)

the original post is here

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=672795&page=5

i made a thread about this in Jan... Max you actually commented in this thread so it can't be the first time you heard of it buddy :)

as Tom notes in the post after Pettine refused the extension, the media immediately accused him of being Mehta's mole. 

i made a thread about this in Jan... Max you actually commented in this thread so it can't be the first time you heard of it buddy :)

as Tom notes in the post after Pettine refused the extension, the media immediately accused him of being Mehta's mole. 

Awesome.  :)

Bit I am extremely disappointed in you. This is hearsay at its worst. Based in no fact whatsoever

Bit I am extremely disappointed in you. This is hearsay at its worst. Based in no fact whatsoever

The "just wanting to get out of Rex's shadow" story is also not based on fact. Just cause it's got a link to back it up it's complete Bull. NFL DCs don't turn down extensions just to take the same job in Buffalo. Think about that for a second who would take the same money and do the same job but just go work in Buffalo over NYC? Who does that? Buffalo is terrible. Most coordinators get fired or get promoted very few make this lateral move for no apparent reason. There was something in that contract language that was bad. 

LOL

Think you jumped the shark on this one Bit

In the above post, you present it like it's true.  In the link you posted to support it, you basically said  it was an internet poster on another board, who has no credibility.

Good stuff

The "just wanting to get out of Rex's shadow" story is also not based on fact. Just cause it's got a link to back it up it's complete Bull. NFL DCs don't turn down extensions just to take the same job in Buffalo. Think about that for a second who would take the same money and do the same job but just go work in Buffalo over NYC? Who does that? Buffalo is terrible. Most coordinators get fired or get promoted very few make this lateral move for no apparent reason. There was something in that contract language that was bad.

Making the same money in Buffalo is a pretty big pay raise. Pettine working for a college coach and knowing he will have autonomy makes sense. Not far fetched.

"Mike Pettine saved Rex Ryan's job. The basis of the extension offer to Pettine was that the Jets wanted the Ryan scheme and coaching tree but without the actual Ryan media baggage and legacy to Mark Sanchez. Pettine owes his entire career to Rex Ryan. Pettine could have rested on his laurels, from his family football pedigree and been Eric Taylor 3.0. Instead he flushed out a relatively easy path and tenure to handle game tape for the Ravens for pennies. "

ok let me get this straight.  the jets were going to fire rex, and keep pettine.  pettine says no, the jets keep rex anyway

anybody see the plot hole here ?

his initials are DT and he is doing pettines old job

what a joke

The post was sarcasm.  All I read all offseason about Pettine going to Buffalo, from people who want Rex fired yesterday (as in yesterday of 2 years ago), was how it was to get away from the Rex/Jets mess, and that there was a lot of bad blood.  Now it seems all that was nonsense as the two guys are still friends and are quasi-sexting each other.

The "just wanting to get out of Rex's shadow" story is also not based on fact. Just cause it's got a link to back it up it's complete Bull.

Yeah, it's not like it comes from a credible source, like an old man with Schefter type NFL connections but without a professional job in the league or media.

LOL

Think you jumped the shark on this one Bit

In the above post, you present it like it's true. In the link you posted to support it, you basically said it was an internet poster on another board, who has no credibility.

Good stuff

On this other board, the poster has a ton of credibility. If you insist on only believe official stories, you'll never know what is really happening in the league.

On this other board, the poster has a ton of credibility. If you insist on only believe official stories, you'll never know what is really happening in the league.

Zero chance there is any validity to this story due to the Rooney rule.  

Woody would never in a million years violate the Rooney rule in writing.   Actually, the league may have the ability to void a contract like that.    He could have a wink/nod agreement with Pettine's agent but no way do they put it in writing.   I call BS on this one.     

This.

NO way any GM or owner is putting a crazy ass clause like that in any assistant's contract.However this is the Woody Johnson Jets we're talking about.

Herman Edwards makes Wrecks look like Bill Walsh.

Archived