In Last Five Years: Coughlin and Rex Have Identical Record 36-31

Lizard King

This is pretty crazy. Discuss.

Screen-Shot-2013-09-23-at-4.39.19-PM1-48

I tweeted this stat this morning and people lost their minds. Some thought it HAD to be wrong, as if I had pulled the numbers out of thin air. Others were furious that I would ignore the obvious, that the Giants lead in the one category that truly matters over that stretch. But most were just flat-out floored.

So for your consumption (and please, do not shoot the messenger) ...

Rex Ryan is 36-31 in the regular season since taking over at Jets head coach.

Tom Coughlin over that span? 36-31.

Look it up. Do the math. For all the controversy swirling around Ryan and the speculation that he has to make the playoffs to save his job, he has the exact same record as a head coach who will probably get his bust in Canton in a few years.

The disclaimer before Giants fans start lighting the torches: Yes, Tom Coughlin has one Super Bowl title over that stretch, and that is the ultimate trump card. The Giants got hot at the end of the 2011 season and won the Super Bowl, their second one under Coughlin.

But it should be noted: Those are the only four playoff wins that Coughlin has over the last five years. Ryan has the same number of wins in the postseason over that stretch, too.

And now I'll duck while you discuss this amongst yourselves. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/09/tom_coughlin_and_rex_ryan_have_an_identical_record_over_the_last_five_years.html?fb_action_ids=654577864576513&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_ref=s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=[525184014227067]&action_type_map=[%22og.likes%22]&action_ref_map=[%22s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like%22]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If only the Steelers or Colts could have dropped 2 punts that the Jets recovered during those AFCC games, Rex would have made the Super Bowl and who knows what would have happened once they got there.  Or if maybe he could have played Alex Smith instead of HOF'ers in the those games, the results would be different.  

Another cute little fact, Rex Ryan has more playoff wins that Bill Belicheck during his tenure as the Jets HC.

Yeah. Looks like the giants have done a bad job evaluating their roster especially o-line and d-line. these 2 were the strength of the giants when they won the 2007 SB, were still good in the 2011 run but have dropped significantly, not to mention the running back situation and letting Bradshaw go..

And this is why the talk of firing Coughlin and the talk of firing Rex is ridiculous.

Coughlin deserves to ride out this job until he retires in my opinion even though I think he is overrated as a coach by those who heap mountains of praise on him.

Rex on the other hand should absolutely get a short term extension if he brings this team into the bye with a winning record. I'd extend him 2-3 years, giving him a chance to compete with a seasoned Geno at QB.

Yeah. Looks like the giants have done a bad job evaluating their roster especially o-line and d-line. these 2 were the strength of the giants when they won the 2007 SB, were still good in the 2011 run but have dropped significantly, not to mention the running back situation and letting Bradshaw go..

Another of these teams with the "cut him one year too early rather than one year too late." I would love to see some sort of analysis on how well that philosophy works. I guess it's a good model for Pittsburgh, they'll take their lumps for a year or two and be competitive again shortly, even though the fan base and general public will enjoy giving them their grief along the way..

Since 1986, the Giants have won a Superbowl every 6.75 years, which we obviously would kill for.

New England: 3 wins since 2000, lost twice since 2007, so five appearances in 12 years. They have no problem dropping most of their guys, often. Tough to analyze since the wins were under the Spygate era

On the other hand, look at Baltimore, they got their 2 Superbowls in 12 years, but they were so cash strapped last year they had to do a major adjustment on their roster. Ozzie has some work cut out for him.

New Orleans: pretty steady roster since 2009

I have to think SF is getting a little tight on cash. Maybe I'm wrong

What about us? We obviously know that we didn't draft well for about 7 years, traded away picks for veterans, paid a lot of money and got a couple AFCCG runs since Rex took over. This year the philosophy looks like it may be closer to the mold of a Pittsburgh, willing to drop a guy a year ahead of the right time and build a cheaper and younger core unit. Time will tell I guess. Gotta tip the hat to Idzik for now though.

Just a couple thoughts.

Coughlin did it with a bonifide NFL QB.  Rex did it with Mark Sanchez.

Just sayin'.

And having the disadvantage of competing against one of the best coaches and QBs of all time for the division crown while the NFC east hasn't had anyone dominate it since the early 2000 eagles.

This is pretty crazy. Discuss.

Screen-Shot-2013-09-23-at-4.39.19-PM1-48

I tweeted this stat this morning and people lost their minds. Some thought it HAD to be wrong, as if I had pulled the numbers out of thin air. Others were furious that I would ignore the obvious, that the Giants lead in the one category that truly matters over that stretch. But most were just flat-out floored.

So for your consumption (and please, do not shoot the messenger) ...

Rex Ryan is 36-31 in the regular season since taking over at Jets head coach.

Tom Coughlin over that span? 36-31.

Look it up. Do the math. For all the controversy swirling around Ryan and the speculation that he has to make the playoffs to save his job, he has the exact same record as a head coach who will probably get his bust in Canton in a few years.

The disclaimer before Giants fans start lighting the torches: Yes, Tom Coughlin has one Super Bowl title over that stretch, and that is the ultimate trump card. The Giants got hot at the end of the 2011 season and won the Super Bowl, their second one under Coughlin.

But it should be noted: Those are the only four playoff wins that Coughlin has over the last five years. Ryan has the same number of wins in the postseason over that stretch, too.

And now I'll duck while you discuss this amongst yourselves. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/09/tom_coughlin_and_rex_ryan_have_an_identical_record_over_the_last_five_years.html?fb_action_ids=654577864576513&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_ref=s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=[525184014227067]&action_type_map=[%22og.likes%22]&action_ref_map=[%22s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like%22]

Trade Eli for Sanchez, and the Jets are the team with the 2 SB wins.

Unless you go after Sean Payton or someone of that caliber (and even that is debatable), there is no one I would rather have coaching this team than Rex. With Rex we know that we will have a top 5 defense every year, all we need to do is fix the offense.

Coughlin has a couple of things over Wrecks. Not only 2 Lombardis, but in the must win game for both teams  on 12/24/2011 Wrecks's team lost. And probably from that moment on it's gone downhill.That game was there for the taking all 2nd half and the Jets didn't do it. And recall Wrecks ran his mouth all week leadning up to that. it's not bragging if you do it, but if not...

Coughlin may get fired and may even deserve it. Any coach in one place 10 years is going to at some point cease being effective. Further any NFL HC over 65 has to be nuts.

But every situation is in fact different. What Tom Coughlin does really has nothing to do with Wrecks Ryan does.

And simply if the Jets had added 2 Lombardis under any coach that would hold some cache. Wrecks doesn't have that.

Archived