Jets sign RB to the practice squad.

joewilly12

Why would Seattle do that?

And signing someone to the practice squad means diddly poo.

Why?

They drafted Christine Michael in the 2rd round last year, then started him over Turbin (2012, 4th rd pick) when they pulled Lynch last Sunday. 

I really like Turbin.  I think he could be a great starter in this league, or at least a great rotational player in a committee.  

I agree the PS signing means squat, but your feature back pulling a hammy means either Powell better be ready for a full-time role, or we're prepared to put a lot of faith into Goodson. With a (likely) second 3rd round pick in this upcoming draft, we have more flexibility to make moves if we think we can be competitive this year.  I think we should make smart moves

I seriously thought we would just bring Bell back.. he showed promise.... But we have Mike Goodson coming back after next week, so we should be ok depending on his play.

Ivory has shown SOME plays where he can be good situational wise but that's it... we wasted a 4th round pick on a rotational, injury prone running back... I live in Mississippi

and ALLLLL I ******* hear is Saint's, Saint's, Saint's so I knew what we were getting into... I just hope we beat the Saint's this year so I can rub it in my girlfriend's families face..

Yes, my girl friend is a Jet fan.. it was a requirement many year's ago :)

Kareem Huggins | Running Back

Team:  Unsigned Free Agent

Age / DOB:   (27) / 5/24/1986

Ht / Wt:   5'9' / 198

College:  Hofstra

Contract:  view contract details[x]2013: Free Agent

Share:  

Unsigned Free Agent Latest NewsRecent NewsPatriots released FB Kareem Huggins.Huggins lasted only one day. Formerly a tailback with the Buccaneers, Huggins had been out of the league after suffering a devastating ACL injury in 2010. He's eying a return to the league as a fullback. Sun, Aug 5, 2012 12:17:00 PMSource: Patriots.com 

Players to Watch at 2010 Buccaneers Training Camp: RB Kareem Huggins

By

JC De La Torre

(Analyst)  on July 9, 2010

As the pundits make their previews of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the 2010 season, the common thought among them is the Buccaneers are in trouble with their running game.

With Carnell Williams' rebuilt knees, Derrick Ward's decline, Clifton Smith's fumblitis, and Earnest Graham moonlighting as a fullback, Tampa Bay lacks a true playmaker at the halfback position.

Enter Kareem Huggins.

Who, you ask? Kareem was handpicked by coach Raheem Morris from his alma mater, Hofstra, for a tryout in the 2009 offseason. He was having an impressive training camp and flashed in his first two preseason games before suffering a hyperextended knee in the second game.

The injury prevented the 5'9", 198-lb. speedster from making the 53-man roster out of training camp, and he settled for the practice squad as he recovered.

After Smith went down with his second concussion, Huggins was called up on Dec. 8 and finished the season playing in three games on special teams. He was credited with one tackle and returned two kickoffs for 52 yards.

This offseason, Huggins has worked out diligently in the weight room at One Buc Palace, readying his body for the rigors of being an NFL running back. While he's been impressive with the football both running and receiving, Huggins needed the extra strength to hold up blocking for QB Josh Freeman.

Like most young backs, Huggins didn't have the trust of Bucs offensive coordinator Greg Olsen that he could be effective protecting his quarterback in passing situations. He never played a down for the Bucs as a running back last season.

With the work he's put in since the end of last year, it appears that trust may be starting to be earned.

“I think Kareem can play every down in the NFL,” running backs coach Steve Logan told Scott Reynolds of the Pewter Report. “He might be pound-for-pound one of the strongest men in the weight room. He can survive even though he gets mismatched from time to time. I don’t have a problem playing Kareem on every down.”

What Huggins brings to the Buccaneers is a player that can flash and dash. His timed 40 of 4.28 is fastest among the running back group, and he's shown good field vision and the ability to pull down passes out of the backfield.

The 24-year-old flew under the radar a bit at Hofstra despite rushing for 2,188 yards and 21 touchdowns. He was the Iron Mike Award winner, Hofstra's MVP award, two consecutive seasons.

Despite his accolades and physical gifts, he found himself undrafted at the conclusion of the 2009 NFL Draft.

"I just had to believe that I was gonna get here," Huggins told a local TV station during the 2009 training camp, "and when I got here, take advantage of it. So that's why I'm working extra hard."

Many believe that as Derrick Ward's stock is falling, Huggins' is on a meteoric rise. Much like Pro Bowl special teams standout Clifton Smith and jack-of-all-trades Earnest Graham before him, Huggins could be the next undrafted running back to make a significant difference for the Buccaneers.

I seriously thought we would just bring Bell back.. he showed promise.... But we have Mike Goodson coming back after next week, so we should be ok depending on his play.

Ivory has shown SOME plays where he can be good situational wise but that's it... we wasted a 4th round pick on a rotational, injury prone running back... I live in Mississippi

and ALLLLL I ******* hear is Saint's, Saint's, Saint's so I knew what we were getting into... I just hope we beat the Saint's this year so I can rub it in my girlfriend's families face..

Yes, my girl friend is a Jet fan.. it was a requirement many year's ago :)

They probably will if they need a back. I think that Bell has played in too many games to be practice squad eligible which is why he is on the street

He is a roster only player.  They may just need a back to run practice while they rest Ivory. 

Check out this story from Kristian Dyer, pretty interesting:

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/nfl/2013/09/25/kareem-huggins-gets-chance-to-resurrect-nfl-career-with-jets/

Kareem Huggins gets chance to resurrect NFL career with Jets

kareemhuggins-614x459.jpg

This past summer, former Hofstra running back Kareem Huggins kept a gym bag packed with cleats and workout clothes near the front door of his East Orange, N.J. home, just in case an NFL team called and needed him right away. Now, almost three years since his last NFL carry, Huggins is finally back. The Jets signed the former Hofstra running back to their practice squad on Tuesday, giving them a player who knows a thing or two about adversity.

His promising career almost ended just as it was getting started. It was Oct. 17, 2010 and the Buccaneers were in the heat of a divisional battle at home with the Saints. Huggins was coming off a preseason where he was Tampa Bay’s leading rusher and had earned the No. 2 spot on the depth chart behind Carnell Williams. Lined up in the slot on third down, Huggins took a pass from quaterback Josh Freeman and made a 7-yard gain for a first down. In the process he was hit below his right knee by Saints linebacker Marvin Mitchell. Huggins got up and limped to the sideline where he sat down on the bench. It wasn’t until he sat down that he began to feel the pain.

It turned out to be a torn ACL.

“That was a trying time. I didn’t know why it happened or why it happened to me. It seems like things were going so good. They were giving me more carries. I was doing well,” Huggins told Metro. “[it] seemed like I was going to be a part of the offense. Then that happens and the pain, it hurt — yes it did — but for awhile it hurt me too because it seemed like everything

was coming together.”

But for the young player, an undrafted rookie free agent who hadn’t played the year before and was cut by the Jets following rookie minicamp, it seemed like it had all fallen apart in a matter of seconds. Surgery followed for Huggins, then extensive rehab. With each passing day out of the league, conventional wisdom held that his NFL chances would draw dimmer.

For the past two years, Huggins has trained like a call would come at anytime. He’s had a handful of workouts with NFL teams, but no one ever offered him a contract. But for two years he would go every day to Joe DeFranco’s gym in Wyckoff, N.J. for workouts. During the offseason, he’d train at the facility with the likes of the Giants’ David Diehl and the Texans’ Brian Cushing. Five times a week, sometimes twice a day, he would lift to get stronger and sprint to get faster. Each workout, he hoped, would get him closer to that phone call. He believed in that call, even if few others around him did.

Related Articles

When he arrived at DeFranco’s gym in December 2011, it wasn’t all systems go. Due to the surgery and rehab, his right knee still hurt and had limited motion, so DeFranco’s training staff focused on improving the soft tissue around his knee. After that, time was spent on his flexibility and mobility, to the point that he progressed into specific strength training exercises to bolster the knee. The end result, DeFranco says, is a “freak of nature.”

“And even when it looked like there wasn’t one NFL team that would give him a chance, he remained super positive. I mean, the kid hasn’t been on an NFL field in three years, yet he continued to believe he would get a shot,” DeFranco told Metro. “Everyday, when our workout was over and I’d say, ‘See you tomorrow, Kareem,’ he’d say, ‘No, I won’t be here tomorrow. I

know I’m gonna get a call from a team tonight.’ This has gone on for two years. And finally, this past Tuesday, he wasn’t at the gym because he did get the call. I’ve never been so happy to not see someone in my life.”

Huggins hasn’t been on an NFL field since 2010 and there are only a handful of players still on the Jets when he was originally with the team. Wednesday’s practice represented the first time he’s carried the ball in a live practice since the injury. It has been 1,076 days since the injury, and Huggins is finally back.

He never got down he says, and never thought about quitting. He credits his mother with giving him a positive attitude and encouraging him to continue his dream and stay solid in his faith. DeFranco marvels at his work ethic and integrity and now Huggins hopes the Jets will see the same thing. In his words, he says, “I hope they will see that I’m relentless and hard working and will never quit on them. I didn’t quit before, and I won’t quit now.”

When the Jets called him though, there was no bag filled with cleats and workout clothes waiting at the front door for him to take to his tryout. But it wasn’t because he had given up or lacked faith.

“I had to move it,” Huggins said with a laugh. “I needed some stuff inside.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/nfl/2013/09/25/kareem-huggins-gets-chance-to-resurrect-nfl-career-with-jets/#sthash.5IDvu0s1.dpuf

Archived