Has anyone had a chance to look up who leads the league right now in 21+ yard passes?

The Crusher

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're lucky I'm bored and simply waiting for lunch time.  Here it is from NFL.com if anyone wants to look at the details:  http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2013&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&d-447263-s=PASSING_20PLUS_YARDS_EACH

Vick and Big Ben are currently tied for first with 17 a piece.

Geno is 8th with 12.

On a side note, Geno is currently tied for first with 4 40+ yard passes.

Don't think you will see that much of it this week.  Buffalo was the perfect spot for it.

Bills tried to run an aggressive Rex Ryan type press defense.  Only problem was they didn't have Cro or Revis.  The CB's were back ups.  They didn't even have a Wilson.  Marty called a great game.  Early, the Bills doubled Winslow, and Holmes.  Left Hill in single coverage.   Hill caught 3 balls for 108 yards and a TD in the first half.

Second half they doubled Hill, leaving Holmes in single coverage.  You know the rest of the story.

if Tenn looks at the game tapes, which of course they will, they will be very frightened of Mr Hill, and run a two deep safety set.  There should be lots of room underneath for Holmes and Winslow.

If they start cheating up, it will be Hill again.

You're lucky I'm bored and simply waiting for lunch time.  Here it is from NFL.com if anyone wants to look at the details:  http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2013&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&d-447263-s=PASSING_20PLUS_YARDS_EACH

Geno is 8th with 12.

I'm assuming Crush saw the Cimini tweet re: Geno, which was actually completions which traveled 21+ in the air (taking away YAC).  Geno is tied for first with Rodgers, apparently.

Geno is 8th with 12.

Waiting for lunch?  WTF?

Anyhow he is tied for most 40+ touchdown passes?  Not bad for a second round pick who is not ready for the NFL. 

Don't think you will see that much of it this week.  Buffalo was the perfect spot for it.

Bills tried to run an aggressive Rex Ryan type press defense.  Only problem was they didn't have Cro or Revis.  The CB's were back ups.  They didn't even have a Wilson.  Marty called a great game.  Early, the Bills doubled Winslow, and Holmes.  Left Hill in single coverage.   Hill caught 3 balls for 108 yards and a TD in the first half.

Second half they doubled Hill, leaving Holmes in single coverage.  You know the rest of the story.

if Tenn looks at the game tapes, which of course they will, they will be very frightened of Mr Hill, and run a two deep safety set.  There should be lots of room underneath for Holmes and Winslow.

The fact they have to even think about a 40+ yard pass is pretty amazing compared to last couple years. Nobody scared of nothing facing Jets offense. 

The fact they have to even think about a 40+ yard pass is pretty amazing compared to last couple years. Nobody scared of nothing facing Jets offense. 

Seriously.  Obviously we won't see a performance like the Buffalo game on a regular basis, but the threat of it will keep teams honest. 

Yeah the 140 yards Powell got is pretty common for the offensive juggernaut known as the NYJ.

lol

I actually saw another surprising stat earlier.  Powell had something like a .89 yards after contact average for the game.  Couple of ways to look at this.  #1 -- the O-line was beastly.  #2 -- it could have been even better.  #3 -- while some will dump on Powell for not doing more, we've had plenty of backs that couldn't even take what the O-line gave them.

Crusher don't tweet. But maybe a kid might have mention in passing.  LOL

lulz

let's review Geno Smith

Good: 

He's got 2 wins. He's the NFL rookie of the week in week 3. Hes thrown for 3 touchdowns and ran for another. He has a steady mindset and doesn't get all emotional when things go wrong. He throws a really strong ball on the run and tight spiral. He seems to be getting the ball out quicker in game 3 than in games 1 and 2.  He's mobile and elusive in the pocket. 

Bad: 

He's turned the ball over 7 times in 3 games. He's got a 53.9% comp rate. He's got a QB rating around 60. HE can't take snaps from under center (and therefore, can't do play action). He walked away from a shotgun snap. He never actually won the QB competition and the team still hasn't named a starter. He got sacked a million times before the Buffalo game. 

Don't get me wrong I am glad the Jets are winning but it's still a mixed bag with Geno Smith. I'll take that abuse now... have at it. 

I'm assuming Crush saw the Cimini tweet re: Geno, which was actually completions which traveled 21+ in the air (taking away YAC).  Geno is tied for first with Rodgers, apparently.

I saw the distinction of 21+ but decided to ignore it because I didn't feel like trying to figure out WTF he was talking about.  That's a nice little fact to know as well though.

let's review Geno Smith

Good: 

He's got 2 wins. He's the NFL rookie of the week in week 3. Hes thrown for 3 touchdowns and ran for another. He has a steady mindset and doesn't get all emotional when things go wrong. He throws a really strong ball on the run and tight spiral. He seems to be getting the ball out quicker in game 3 than in games 1 and 2.  He's mobile and elusive in the pocket. 

Bad: 

He's turned the ball over 7 times in 3 games. He's got a 53.9% comp rate. He's got a QB rating around 60. HE can't take snaps from under center (and therefore, can't do play action). He walked away from a shotgun snap. He never actually won the QB competition and the team still hasn't named a starter. He got sacked a million times before the Buffalo game. 

Don't get me wrong I am glad the Jets are winning but it's still a mixed bag with Geno Smith. I'll take that abuse now... have at it. 

So, heading into his 4th NFL game, he's a rookie who wasn't ready and still might not be who's improving... Nothing bad about that.

So, heading into his 4th NFL game, he's a rookie who wasn't ready and still might not be who's improving... Nothing bad about that.

It was about a year ago when Mark Sanchez looked amazing against Buffalo at home. people forget Mark had his good days too. If Mark had started this year and played exactly the same as Geno (same everything) we'd say he was terrible 53.9% is atrocious but when it's Geno we say he's flashing FQB. I am aware this is not a popular position and I'm sure it's gonna earn me some abuse but Geno vs Mark it doesn't matter. 

let's review Geno Smith

Good: 

Bad: 

Good points.  But if you are use to eating sh*t sandwiches even a  ground chuck hamburger taste like Kobe beef.

It was about a year ago when Mark Sanchez looked amazing against Buffalo at home. people forget Mark had his good days too. If Mark had started this year and played exactly the same as Geno (same everything) we'd say he was terrible 53.9% is atrocious but when it's Geno we say he's flashing FQB. I am aware this is not a popular position and I'm sure it's gonna earn me some abuse but Geno vs Mark it doesn't matter. 

Ever watch dancing with the stars?  Same thing.

let's review Geno Smith

Good: 

Bad: 

Nothing really to kill you about here, what you have said is pretty accurate.    But when you look at the games one at a time, the Pats game really killed him.  It was a total melt down in the 4th quarter, and he clearly cost the Jets a very important game.

But in all honesty the other two rates are 80.6 and 89.9.  I know that's cherry picking to throw out a horrible, division game, but he is a rookie, and that crap is going to happen.   As you mentioned he appeared to be getting rid of the ball a lot quicker against the Bills.  if he can reduce his turnovers to just one a game (which still sucks) the Jets will honestly have a decent chance to compete for a play off spot.

Got to figure he will become more efficient playing under center as the year goes on.  I agree that Sanchez beat him out in camp, and Smith would have been well served to sit for maybe even a full season, but it didn't happen that way.

Sanchez is gone.  it will take a really freaky series of events for him to ever play for the Jets again.  Smith is the QB.  Get used to it

Sanchez had one good day against Buffalo in his 4th season.  Geno had 1 really good day against Buffalo in his 3rd game.  When he wasn't even supposed to be out there (remember the "he ain't ready" arguments for starting Sanchez or even Matt f-ing Simms?).  Big difference.

I reread my post.  I don't remember mentioning Mark Sanchez?  Did I miss something?  Nor do I remember saying anything about "flashing FQB".  But, since he's entered this conversation, yes, if Sanchez had the same numbers, the feeling would be different.  After all, Sanchez would be doing it in his 5th NFL season and Geno in his 3rd game in a pro system ever.

I reread my post.  I don't remember mentioning Mark Sanchez?  Did I miss something?  Nor do I remember saying anything about "flashing FQB".  But, since he's entered this conversation, yes, if Sanchez had the same numbers, the feeling would be different.  After all, Sanchez would be doing it in his 5th NFL season and Geno in his 3rd game in a pro system ever.

you didn't bring up Mark but you did mention he's a rookie going into his 4th game but being young is no guarantee he's getting better. We all just lived through that. 

in 2009 we were all like this guy is playing in the playoffs and getting to AFC CG imagine how great he's gonna be in year 4! 

you didn't bring up Mark but you did mention he's a rookie going into his 4th game but being young is no guarantee he's getting better. We all just lived through that. 

in 2009 we were all like this guy is playing in the playoffs and getting to AFC CG imagine how great he's gonna be in year 4! 

Sanchez was putting up Bottom 5 numbers even in 2009 and 2010.  We all simply hoped he would get better over time and "take the next step".  He didn't.

Geno's been improving ALREADY.  We don't know where he'll be in Year 4 of his career but putting down what he's done thru 3 games because we lack that foresight is ludicrous.  I don't feel like puking every time he drops back to pass like I did with Sanchez.  That's good enough for me for now.

We did think that.  And, you know something?  It is reasonable to expect guys to get better.  Most that last more than a season or two do show some improvement.  Sanchez gave a lot of Jets fans plenty to be excited about.  The problem is, he either didn't improve, or he got worse.

His play in the games is what shows me he's improving.  Not by leaps and bounds, but anyone without an anti-Geno agenda dating back before the draft can see that he's doing a lot of good things and making adjustments.

Rookie mistakes are expected.  You're just harping on them to try to prove that Geno sucks, or because you're unhappy so no one else should dare be.

This is a welcome change from the Schotty years.  Just think, our team adapts on the fly and actually attacks the opponents weaknesses.  It is a welcome change from sticking to the original game plan no matter what the other team does. 

Sanchez - 5 year veteran vs Geno - rookie with 3 games experience

I dunno, but do you see why this may not be an apples to apples comparison stat wise?

doh! Ninja'd by EY

Sanchez was putting up Bottom 5 numbers even in 2009 and 2010.  We all simply hoped he would get better over time and "take the next step".  He didn't.

Geno's been improving ALREADY.  We don't know where he'll be in Year 4 of his career but putting down what he's done thru 3 games because we lack that foresight is ludicrous.  I don't feel like puking every time he drops back to pass like I did with Sanchez.  That's good enough for me for now.

Yes, this.

This is a welcome change from the Schotty years.  Just think, our team adapts on the fly and actually attacks the opponents weaknesses.  It is a welcome change from sticking to the original game plan no matter what the other team does. 

Really doesn't have much to do with Schotty.  It is all on the 2 POS  OC's the Jets had before Marty

Seriously.  Obviously we won't see a performance like the Buffalo game on a regular basis, but the threat of it will keep teams honest. 

lol

I actually saw another surprising stat earlier.  Powell had something like a .89 yards after contact average for the game.  Couple of ways to look at this.  #1 -- the O-line was beastly.  #2 -- it could have been even better.  #3 -- while some will dump on Powell for not doing more, we've had plenty of backs that couldn't even take what the O-line gave them.

lulz

I think you read that wrong.  See below:

Of Powell’s 149 yards, a whopping 83 came after contact, according to ProFootballFocus.com. Powell’s 114 yards after contact this season tie him with Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch for ninth in the league.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-insider-bilal-turning-heads-article-1.1466427#ixzz2fw8cHMZI

dude he's got a 53.9% completion percentage. He's got 7 turnovers. Don't look now, but he's in the bottom too. I don't know if it's the bottom 5 across the board... but it's not good.

EDIT Ok i looked it up. He's 13th in yards which is great. he's 22nd in TD which is ok. He's 32nd in comp percentage. He's 31st in INT behind Eli. He's 28th in QB rating. All of those stats are terrible. 

Sanchez - 5 year veteran vs Geno - rookie with 3 games experience

I dunno, but do you see why this may not be an apples to apples comparison stat wise?

when Geno stops turning the ball over we can stop comparing him to Mark. Is it too much to ask for a guy to not turn the ball over multiple times every game? How about 1 time? Can he only turn the ball over 1 time a game? 0 is probably too much to ask. 

Archived