O dept. : Marty Mornhinweg ~ ~ ~

kelly

I think sometimes analysis of coordinators can become self-fulfilling prophecies. If a unit does well, the coordinator gets praise for putting together a brilliant strategy. If a unit does poorly, a coordinator gets criticized. It frequently is more about execution than any kind of planning.

When rewatching the Bills and Jets play, though, something stuck out at me. By my unscientific count, on half of the Jets' third down passes they kept at least two extra blockers in to protect Geno Smith. It seemed to be mainly a situational trend. The Jets did not seem to make a point of doing it in other spots.

When you think this through, it really makes sense. The Bills were a defense coming off a six sack game and like to throw a lot of different looks. You could count on them trying to confuse and attack a rookie quarterback. By leaving the extra blockers in consistently, it made the quarterback's job easy. He had more resources to react to the blitz and didn't have to make decisions as quickly against fronts he had never seen before. With less receivers, his decision-making process also became relatively more simplified.

Marty Mornhinweg isn't a perfect coordinator. I'm sure there will be points this season when plenty of us will question him so he deserves credit when he comes up with a plan that makes sense on every level. He might make mistakes at some point, but for the first time in the Ryan Era, the Jets finally have a coordinator who understands how to construct an offense and attempts to build a plan around the strengths and weaknesses of the two teams.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/9/25/4770524/new-york-jets-credit-for-marty-mornhinweg

more re our O dept.  :

Geno Smith to Santonio Holmes: Signs of the New York Jets’ Future  ?  

7692926-300x184.jpg

Geno Smith to Santonio Holmes. Did that combination look good on Sunday or what, ladies and gentlemen? If Santonio Holmes is not 100%, he is very close. He ran crisp routes, showed his signature good hands, and was able to be a major target for Geno Smith down the field.If this is a sign of things to come, the future looks bright for the New York Jets’ offense. Very bright. Let’s look at the 69 yard game winning touchdown to see what I mean. When you see the window that Geno had to fit this into in order to connect with Holmes, you too will be excited for the future.

Geno-to-Santonio-109242013_2217-300x195.

Geno Smith is in the shotgun, with a back to either side. Santonio Holmes is wide to the near side, circled in green. He is being guarded closely by the cornerback and there are two deep safeties. Santonio is going to make a move to the inside as if he is running a post pattern or crossing pattern, and then will break back to the outside to try to beat his man on a go route up the sideline. He doesn’t have much luck, leaving Geno a very small window to throw into.

Geno-to-Santonio-309242013_2225-590x456.

As Geno releases the ball, the cornerback is on Santonio Holmes step for step. If you look in the green circle, Santonio is not that open. The window that Geno has to hit is very small, indicated, to scale of course, with the green square.

Geno must lay the pass out in front of Santonio so he can run under it, right on target or there is no shot at a completion.

Geno-to-Santonio-509242013_2300-590x354.

The ball is coming in just over Santonio’s shoulder, again circled in the green. Look at how close the defender is. Santonio isn’t exactly wide open, but the catch can be made if the ball is placed perfectly. Again, the window is indicated by the green square. Geno doesn’t have a lot of room to put the ball in here. But…….

Geno-to-Santonio-609242013_2304.png

Geno Smith puts the ball in Santonio Holmes’ hands, right in stride. Holmes shoves the defender away, and scampers the rest of the 69 yards for the game winning touchdown. Jets win.Give these two credit here. Geno Smith made one great throw, and Santonio made an excellent play to make the catch and take it the distance. This type of throw is indicative of a growing connection between the two.

If this is what is to come, this offense is going to grow into quite the exciting group.

>   http://thejetpress.com/2013/09/25/geno-smith-santonio-holmes-signs-new-york-jets-future/

...and some Rex :

Welcome to the modern age of pro football, Rex Ryan. You’re late to the party, but maybe not too late.

The same coach who once preached from the ground-and-pound bible … who insulated his first rookie quarterback in a protective cocoon … who never considered a punt a bad thing …

That guy is gone, as gone as his bravado and prodigious waistline.

Ryan, in his fifth season as the New York Jets coach, has gone from an old-school, defensive-minded coach to a pragmatist who realized it was time to adapt his philosophy to the current trend -- or least that’s the message he’s sent through three games.Instead of putting Geno Smith in bubble wrap, which is what he did with Mark Sanchez in 2009, Ryan has allowed Marty Mornhinweg to operate an aggressive, pass-oriented attack. Smith is tied with Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers for the NFL lead with nine completions on attempts of more than 20 yards in the air.

nfl_g_rexryan_ch_200x300.jpg
Rex Ryan has changed his offensive approach and gotten behind the arm of Geno Smith.

Ground-and-pound is so Jurassic. The league now is all about the passing craze.

“I give him credit for evolving as a coach,” said ESPN analyst Damien Woody, a member of the ’09 team that rushed a staggering 607 times. “Rex realized you can’t win with 3 yards and a cloud of dust. If you want to win a championship, you have to do it through the air.”Ryan came to the realization before the Jets drafted Smith and before he hired Mornhinweg to replace Tony Sparano, a one-year bust who had no background in passing offense. As soon as last season ended, Ryan announced his intention to play an aggressive style of offense that would mirror his approach on defense.

Ryan and Mornhinweg are Oscar and Felix in terms of football background, but Ryan -- perhaps out of self-preservation -- seems willing to take a walk on the wild side. Mornhinweg likes to pass. Ryan likes to win. Hence, the marriage.What we’ve seen so far is a dramatically different approach than in 2009. That season, Sanchez averaged only 24 attempts per game. He exceeded 34 only once. Smith is averaging 34 passes, and we’re not talking about a lot of dinking and dunking, either.

“That’s why they brought me in here, because of my ability to throw the ball downfield and be accurate with it,” Smith said.

There are four reasons Ryan has loosened up  :

1. The game has changed. As Woody noted, it’s hard to win these days with a ground-oriented attack. You can’t win consistently by scores of 17-14 and 21-17.

2. Mornhinweg operates a West Coast system, one predicated on short passing, but his DNA includes a gene not inherent in most Bill Walsh disciples: the gunslinger gene. He’s not afraid to throw deep.

3. Smith arrived with a lot more experience than Sanchez, who started only 16 games in college. Smith started 39 games at West Virginia. Clearly, there’s more trust in Smith than there was in Sanchez, whose only requirement was to manage the game.

4. The current Jets don’t have Thomas Jones, Leon Washington and Shonn Greene in the backfield, the way they did in ’09. That team, with a dominant offensive line, was built to bludgeon opponents with the ground game.

Center Nick Mangold, a holdover from ’09, believes the difference lies in the coordinators -- Mornhinweg versus Brian Schottenheimer. There might be some truth to that, but the coordinator takes his marching orders from Ryan.

Mangold likes the new way of doing things.

“You love scoring points,” he said. “It gives you an opportunity at all times to keep your foot on the gas. It’s exciting. It’s fun to be part of.”This will help Smith in the long run because it will allow him to develop as a passer. This season is all about Smith, finding out if he’s The Guy. They could probably lower the interception total by being more cautious with him, but you can live with the mistakes (most of the time) if he averages 11 yards per attempt, as he did last week, and the defense continues to keep teams out of the end zone.

“I’d rather have Geno’s mistakes than hold him back and not see him develop,” said Woody, who believes the ultra-conservative approach with Sanchez might have stunted his growth.Not every game will turn out as well as last week's did, but it’s the correct approach. Ryan is backing up what he vowed to do.

Welcome to the 21st century, Coach.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/27914/finally-rex-too-shall-pass

A weekly examination of the New York Jets' quarterback play :

Rewind: Geno Smith enjoyed the best game of his young career, becoming the first rookie in Jets history to throw for 300 yards and two touchdowns. He attacked a depleted Bills secondary, completing five passes of 21 yards or more, according to ESPN Stats & Information. For the season, he has completed nine passes in that category, tied with the Packers' Aaron Rodgers for the league lead. On the downside, Smith threw two more interceptions, bringing his total to six. As a comparison, Mark Sanchez didn't throw his sixth interception as a rookie until his sixth game.

Fast-forward: Smith faces the Titans (2-1) in his second road start. He will encounter an aggressive 4-3 scheme that likes to play man-to-man coverage. The Titans are ranked seventh in total defense and they can pressure the quarterback (nine sacks), but it's not a frightening unit. Opposing quarterbacks have an 85.9 passer rating against them. Much will be made of the Smith-Jake Locker matchup. Smith has seven turnovers; the Titans' quarterback has been turnover-free.

Music City memory: Every time he plays a solid game, Smith creates separation from previous starter Sanchez, who still hopes to play when he returns from injured reserve in November. Smith can really widen the gap if he plays well in Nashville, of all places -- the scene of Sanchez's demise. With the chance to get the Jets back into playoff contention last December, Sanchez threw four interceptions and lost a fumble in a "Monday Night Football" loss that resulted in his benching. A big game by Smith will show, if only symbolically, that the team is better off than last year.

Prediction: Smith's patience will be tested because the Titans don't give up a lot of big plays in the passing game. If he can avoid being overly aggressive, he has a chance to have a highly efficient day.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/27853/qb-watch-jets-geno-smith-2

look how good the pass protection is on that Smith to Holmes throw. Clean pocket.

Playing your (devil advocate) role again in the forum?

So, you think he is going get drill every time he throw a deep ball like when he got smacked when he threw the bomb TD to Hill? 

I may well feel as the season progresses that Marty will deserve criticism for something.  Some criticized him for abandoning the run against NE (which I did not share - the Jets were behind and could well have won the game if there were not those three int's in the fourth quarter - it was execution that was missing, not a good job by the OC).  And with a young Qb and a long season remaining, it's not likely that things will always be as good as they were in the Bills game.

But right now, replacing Sparano with Marty has to be the single biggest area of improvement on the Jets.  Even the success shown by various players on O including Smith has to be partly to Marty's credit.  Can anyone here imagine Smith having to work with Sparano?  The mere thought makes me nauseous.

I tend not to be a big critic of Rex.  He's kind of a mixed bag, who looks better of late.  But I don't forget that Sparano was Rex's choice as OC last year, and it was a woeful move.  Rex saw Sparano as complementing his ground and pound philosophy, along with the nonsense that they were going to use Tebow.  All of that was laughably ridiculous (although ftr I largely blame Woody for the Tebow part of the mess). 

How much difference a year makes.  No one is laughing at the Jets' CS for Offense right now.  Rex is, to his credit (although my guess is he's been told to stay away from the O for hte most part) letting Marty and his staff run the O while he concentrates on the D.  If he keeps it up, and Marty holds up his end, Rex may well save his job with the Jets after all, which looked unlikely this past off season, to be sure.

On playcalling, I would merely suggest that we as fans give Marty some breathing room.  He's got a tough job of balancing the need to keep the opponent's D off balance, protect and develop Smith, and deal with the less than stellar talent here and there on the offensive roster.  It's not easy.  Meanwhile i do expect him to work with the other coaches on O to develop the younger players, which is exactly what we would not be seeing with someone like Sparano. 

Keep it up, Marty.

I prefer to look at the TD throw to Hill where Geno stood in the pocket and absorbed a big hit while delivering a perfect pass to Hill. Sanchez, as we all know, would have short armed that throw and the Buffalo safety would have picked it off and the Jets would have lost. Jury obviously (to use Rex's favorite word) is still out on Marty, but he is an upgrade over both Sparano, who was horrible and Schotty who was just a little less so. Schotty doesn't seem to be faring well with Bradford in St loo.

Playing your (devil advocate) role again in the forum?

So, you think he is going get drill every time he throw a deep ball like when he got smacked when he threw the bomb TD to Hill? 

was trying to give the OL props it's that simple. No one ever does that. 

but yeah he did get drilled on the other throw (by Kyle Williams, who beat Vlad) ... that was a hell of a toss.

I can give Geno credit for his good throws. He has made special throws and that's good news.     

After a string of bad marriages and countless Sundays of head-scratching angst, is it possible Jets fans finally have an offensive coordinator they can embrace?

Tony Sparano and his ill-fated Year of the Wildcat starring Tim Tebow was universally mocked last season because of its mind-numbing lack of creativity.

“BS” (before Sparano), life quickly went south for Brian Schottenheimer, despite his admirable work in developing a raw Mark Sanchez at quarterback while the Jets went to consecutive AFC Championship games in 2009 and 2010. Schottenheimer’s struggling offense in 2011 elicited angry “Schotty Must Go” chants from fans that led to his departure.

So, after Schottenheimer enraged Jets fans with some game-day play calling that bordered on schizophrenic and Sparano mystified them with cluelessness, enter Marty Mornhinweg, who was hired by Jets coach Rex Ryan to loosen the reins on a dormant offense.

Ryan’s well-worn “ground-and-pound” slogan and philosophy have been replaced by a different way of doing offensive business and a new buzzword: “attack.”

Entering Sunday’s game against the 2-1 Titans in Nashville, Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith has completed four passes of 40 or more yards — all coming in last Sunday’s 27-20 win over the Bills. The Jets had a total of six such big plays in 16 games last season and just three in 2011.

Smith also is tied for the NFL lead with Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers with nine completions of more than 20 yards in the air. That’s a pretty impressive statistic and even more impressive quarterbacking company with which to be associated.

Don’t expect Mornhinweg to take his foot off the gas, either. He appears to be a lead-footed driver as an offensive coordinator. Regardless of the opponent, Mornhinweg is going to push the ball down the field. It is the reason Ryan hired him in the first place.

“Rex and I spent a day together [in the interview process], and I know this: He wanted to be very aggressive and attack,” Mornhinweg said. “That’s one reason that I ended up here I think. So there you have it.”

Ryan recalled facing Mornhinweg as an opposing coach over the years, saying, “Having to prepare against him, I knew how difficult that was.

“He’s been there and done that,” Ryan said Thursday. “You’re not going to trick him. He’s seen about as many things as there is, and he exudes that confidence. Every good play caller has that, and he has it.”

In his 11 years as an offensive coordinator before coming to the Jets, Mornhinweg’s offenses ranked outside of the league’s top 10 just four times. In 2008 with the Eagles and in 1998 with the 49ers his offenses ranked No. 1 in the NFL.

Ryan said he “wanted this football team to attack more in all phases,” adding, “We said we were going to attack, and that’s exactly what we’re doing.”

Mornhinweg uses the word “attack” so often in offensive meetings his players should conduct an over-under contest on how many times he uses it.

“Yeah, [the words] ‘attack’ and ‘aggressive’ come up,” Mornhinweg said. “It’s a mentality. We just want to be aggressive. That mentality is important to me.”

That mentality is rubbing off on the players, and it is leading to more explosive plays than the Jets have produced in years.

Sunday’s win over Buffalo marked the first time in franchise history the Jets produced a 300-yard passer (Smith), 100-yard rusher (Bilal Powell), and two 100-yard receivers (Santonio Holmes and Stephen Hill) in one game.

“He’s ‘attack, attack, attack.’ He’s preached that since the day I met him,” Jets guard Willie Colon said.

“He’s always in attack mode, no matter what,” Jets tight end Jeff Cumberland said. “He mentions that word all the time — ‘We want to attack, we want to attack.’ ”

If the positive results continue (or even improve), Jets fans no longer will have an offensive coordinator to attack the way they did Schottenheimer and Sparano, and this Mornhinweg thing has a chance to be a long-lasting marriage.

> http://nypost.com/2013/09/26/jets-ma...in-mornhinweg/

It’s still sounds strange coming from Antonio Cromartie’s lips. The Jets cornerback was among the loudest voices a few years ago when it came to boasting about his team and tweaking the opposition.

He famously called Tom Brady “an a-hole” before their 2010 playoff game. That’s why it’s strange to hear Cromartie talking about how the Jets need to remain “quiet and confident” amid a 2-1 start to a season where some said they would win only four or five games.

“We’re quiet and confident. That’s all we need to be,” Cromartie said on Friday. “We want to be the guys under the radar, making sure we go out and play football the way we need to play football. When you don’t make the playoffs two years in a row there’s not much you can really talk about. You want to let your play talk for itself.”

Truth is, the next two games should reveal whether these Jets are better than advertised or simply fortunate to steal a last-minute win over the Bucs and overcome 20 penalties in beating the Bills. Sunday’s game at Nashville, Tenn. against the Titans (2-1) figures to be a physical slugfest of wills.

“It’s one of those straight ahead no fair dodging games,” coach Rex Ryan said.

The following week, the Jets travel to Atlanta for a Monday night game against the highly-regarded Falcons in the Georgia Dome. Those are two road games against quality opponents where the Jets ability to deal with adversity will be tested as much their ability to execute.

“It’s two tough road games coming up for us where we have to be on our A-game,” said tight end Konrad Reuland. “We can’t be making the same mistakes we’ve made in the past.”

Off the field as much as on it, the Jets have been the kind of team, general manager John Idzik wanted: professional, focused and free from trash talk. Cromartie has bought in.

“If something goes wrong, we’ve got each other’s back,” he said. “That’s the biggest thing. That’s the difference in this locker room from the past probably two years. Everybody wants to be accountable for themselves and everybody else on this team. We know what kind of players we have in this locker room. We know we can go out there and play football.”

The Jets needed an attitude adjustment. They lost their swagger during last year’s 6-10 meltdown. They learned talk was cheap. With seven new starters on defense and a rookie at quarterback in Geno Smith, the Jets still have their wagons circled, understanding they’ve won this year despite playing anything close to their best football.

“We’re about 20 penalties away from coming to close to perfect,” Ryan said, referring to last Sunday’s win over the Bills. “But we’ve tried our best. It’s not where it needs to be. But our fans our going to get everything this team has from an effort standpoint and a preparation standpoint.”

The psychology of results in football can work for or against a team. Wins can blur flaws and breed over-confidence. The Jets were 2-1 last year and lost five of the next six games. This year’s team understands there is plenty of room for improvement.

“We know we can play so much better on both sides of the ball, offense in particular,” Reuland said. “We’ve made a lot of mistakes and we’ve been able to overcome them. That’s encouraging, but it’s frustrating not to be playing to the best of our ability. We expect more out of ourselves than what everyone was expecting.”

It took a while to figure out, but the Jets have learned it’s better to make noise on the field and remain quiet and confident off of it. Cromartie vowed not to start chirping even if the Jets beat the Titans and the Falcons. This is his motto for the season: “We’re going to keep quiet and do the things we’re supposed to do and try to keep winning games.”

> http://nypost.com/2013/09/27/silence-is-golden-jets-exuding-quiet-confidence/

Who knows.  They first two games the offense sucked,  against the BIlls they played well.  And anybody should look better than Sparano and Schotty.  

But as time goes on we will see if his offense is good or not.   But saying he's the greatest after 2 bad offensive games and 1 good one really isn't' saying anything at all.

Geno Smith added yet another moment of ignominy to Jets lore: the Around-the-Butt Fumble

-- If Mark Sanchez was healthy, the New York Jets would have one salacious quarterback controversy. But his injured right shoulder won’t be healed until November (if then), so they have little choice but to ride with Geno Smith.

Better take a Dramamine.

After Sunday’s 38-13 loss to the Tennessee Titans at LP Field, Smith approached many teammates in the locker room, basically telling them, “It won’t happen again.” It will, of course, because he’s a rookie, and rookies have days like this. He handed 28 points to the Titans with four turnovers, and introduced a new term into the franchise’s long history of blooper plays -- the Around-the-Butt Fumble.

At 2-2, it would be a panic move for the Jets to bench Smith in favor of Matt Simms. They’d be going from little experience to no experience. Afterward, Rex Ryan eliminated any doubt, saying Smith will start next week against the Atlanta Falcons.

Unless he pulls a Greg Schiano and flip-flops, Ryan is making the right call by sticking with Smith. It’s a no-brainer, really. This season is all about Smith, finding out if he’s good enough to make him the centerpiece of the franchise. There may come a time to check out Simms, but not now.

So turn down the volume on the “We Want Simms” drumbeat.

The next chapter of this soap opera is waiting to see how the kid from West Virginia University responds to adversity. He has to get better, right?

Smith offered a scathing self-evaluation, describing his performance as “piss-poor.” Hard to argue with that. He threw two interceptions and lost two fumbles because of careless ballhandling, evoking memories of some Sanchez-ian gaffes.

Smith scored points for creativity, trying to switch the ball to his left hand -- behind the back -- while getting bulldozed by defensive tackle Karl Klug at the Jets’ goal line. Note to young quarterbacks: Don’t try any trickeration when there’s a 280-pound human attached to your body.

Naturally, Smith fumbled, and it was recovered for a touchdown to make it 31-6. The game probably was out of reach anyway, but that one moment -- that one brain cramp -- showed a young player overwhelmed by the moment and the day.

“It was kind of one of those tough situations,” Smith said. “My only reaction was to swing my left hand around and grab it before I fumbled it. I couldn’t get it around.”

Sanchez, watching from the sideline in street clothes, could empathize. At least now maybe his Butt Fumble can be put to rest.

How bad was Smith? He was sacked, lost a fumble or threw an interception on nine of his 42 drop-backs, bringing his turnover total to 11 -- eight interceptions and three fumbles. He’s tied with Eli Manning for the league lead in turnovers. In fact, Smith has more turnovers by himself than all but one team -- the New York Giants, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

A livid Ryan was in no mood to use the rookie-growing-pains alibi.

“How many times are we going to make that excuse?” he asked. “One of these days we’re going to have to learn from them, and it better be soon. The team we’re going to play next [the 1-3 Atlanta Falcons] is a pretty good darn football team, so we better learn in a hurry. It has to get better.”

Smith was intercepted by Alterraun Verner on the second play of the game, underthrowing a deep ball to Stephen Hill, and he was cooked right there. He never regained his composure, rattled by the Titans’ relentless blitzing.

Another lowlight occurred when he was scrambling in the open field for a first down, holding the ball with one hand and inviting what occurred next -- a tomahawk chop by linebacker Zach Brown, who slapped the ball loose. His second interception was a bad decision, forcing a ball into blanket coverage on Santonio Holmes, who was beaten to the ball by Verner.

Then came the Around-the-Butt Fumble.

“I’m extremely disappointed with the way I took care of the ball,” Smith said.

Smith wasn’t the only goat. The Jets committed 10 penalties (that’s 30 in two weeks) and allowed four touchdown passes, so there was plenty of blame to go around. Ryan tried to emphasize that point. Sensing the media was picking on Smith in the postgame news conference, the coach insisted, “I think we’re unfairly criticizing one man.”

His teammates -- the ones who spoke, that is -- supported him, saying the right things. Holmes and Calvin Pace, veteran leaders, left without speaking to reporters.

“We believe in the guy,” Kellen Winslow said of Smith.

Do the Jets have a choice?

They are paying the price for mismanaging the quarterback competition in the preseason, resulting in Sanchez’s injury. So now it’s Smith or bust, trying to figure out a way to make him better. Marty Mornhinweg could help by calling more running plays. They actually ran well against the Titans, but the aggressive playcaller kept dialing up passes.

In the meantime, prepare for a bumpy ride.

“[The mistakes] are correctable,” Smith said, “and they will be corrected.”

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/28151/struggling-jets-must-stick-with-geno-smith

Jets offensive line crumbles in loss

The Jets offensive line allowed the Titans to get to Geno Smith at will.

Photo: Getty Images

— It’s such a fickle science. One week, the Jets offensive line can look like a combination of the old Redskins’ Hogs and the old Giants’ Suburbanites; that would be last week, when across 60 minutes, the Jets allowed the Buffalo Bills exactly zero sacks.

Zero.

Seven days later, it can look like this: invisible. Or at least vulnerable, if not worse. Five times the Titans sacked Geno Smith Sunday during Tennessee’s 38-13 ransacking of the Jets. Eleven times the Titans got close enough to the Jets quarterback to hit him, knock him down, and otherwise batter him.

Smith had an admittedly terrible day. But his foxhole guys up front surely didn’t do much to help the cause.

“They did everything we expected,” Jets guard Willie Colon said. “I don’t think they did anything we weren’t prepared for. We have to be more efficient up front. It’s about being one. Right now, the worst thing we could do is not stay together. So we have to stay together and move on.”

What helps, in a way, is that they were all on one similar page Sunday: they were awful and they were also sloppy. Vlad Ducasse was called for two penalties (though only one counted since Smith fumbled on one of them). D’Brickshaw Ferguson was whistled for one. And Colon had a killer, negating what would have ben a catch to Kellen Winslow inside the 10 when the game was still manageable.

Combine that with the jailbreaks they allowed up and down the field? It was enough to have Rex Ryan shaking his head.

“We’ll have to look at it,” Ryan said. “We knew they were going to pressure us. I think we got hit on a few screen passes that we have to do a much better job on, for sure.”

And while the focus of much of the concern postgame was on the rookie quarterback, it was clear he didn’t exactly have much support, running for his life as often as he was.

“We have to look at what we’re asking our guys to do,” Ryan said. “We’ve got to … there’s got to be accountability with everybody. And we certainly will be.”

> http://nypost.com/2013/09/29/jets-offensive-line-crumbles-in-loss/

The Jets offense has looked bad for most of this season.   They stunk against the Bucs, they did nothing against the Pats,  they stunk against the Titans.  Their only good offensive game was against the Bills and they almost lost that game due to penalties and an offense that wasn't that great in the second half.   They had a 17-6 halftime lead in a game the defense had 8 sacks.   

This is why I don't get the "we have a real OC" now theory.  The Jets offense looks like the same bad offense they've had for years.  They never score.  They turn the ball over.  They make questionable play calls.  Maybe it's a work in progress, but after 4 games, the Jets offense stinks.

The Jets offense has looked bad for most of this season.   They stunk against the Bucs, they did nothing against the Pats,  they stunk against the Titans.  Their only good offensive game was against the Bills and they almost lost that game due to penalties and an offense that wasn't that great in the second half.   They had a 17-6 halftime lead in a game the defense had 8 sacks.   

This is why I don't get the "we have a real OC" now theory.  The Jets offense looks like the same bad offense they've had for years.  They never score.  They turn the ball over.  They make questionable play calls.  Maybe it's a work in progress, but after 4 games, the Jets offense stinks.

...our O is a " work in progress ".

i think we now have a good OC.

NOW, IF WE CAN UPGRADE OUR ROSTER...COOL ~ ~

cheers ~ ~

:cheer: . 

While I agree Mornhinweg has hardly proved himself to be the savior, and the offense is still a problem, I think the distinction is execution versus mind-numbingly stupid playcalls.  While the former is still an issue, the latter has definitely sen a steep decline (although admittedly, not completely disappeared).  Don't forget that with Schotty, things had gotten so bad that even the fans knew what play was coming the vast majority of the time, so you sure as hell know the opposing teams did as well.  Not to mention watching things like have multiple WRs running to the same spot on the field, the FB lining up out wide, the entire team running routes short of the first down on third and the list goes on.  It's not as much about having some amazing OC who is fixing everything as much as it is no longer having an OC like Schotty or Sparano who both did a worse job than some 6-year old would have done using a playbook out of Madden.

Marty did not do the Jets or Geno any favors against Tennessee. He abandoned the run faster than Schottenheimer, which was strange considering his QB had his head up his a$$ most of the game and Powell was again delivering gains. It wasn't until the score was 38-13 that Jets ran the ball on consecutive plays. Pi$$ poor OC ing in that one Morninglory.

Marty did not do the Jets or Geno any favors against Tennessee. He abandoned the run faster than Schottenheimer, which was strange considering his QB had his head up his a$$ most of the game and Powell was again delivering gains. It wasn't until the score was 38-13 that Jets ran the ball on consecutive plays. Pi$$ poor OC ing in that one Morninglory.

..." . He abandoned the run faster than Schottenheimer, "...

~ ~ agreed !..he should have stuck with the running game more/longer  :winking0001:

Faced with the prospect of not having their starting wide receivers next Monday night against the Atlanta Falcons, the New York Jets will sign veteran free agent David Nelson, a league source confirmed Tuesday.

nfl_u_nelson_d1_300x300.jpg
The Jets, with injuries to their starting wide receivers, are poised to sign former Bills wideout David Nelson, a source confirms.

Santonio Holmes (hamstring) and Stephen Hill (concussion), both injured in the Jets' 38-13 loss to the Tennessee Titans, are expected to miss the game. Holmes could be out longer than one game, necessitating the move for a veteran receiver.The Jets will go into Atlanta with Jeremy Kerley, Ben Obomanu and Clyde Gates as their top three wideouts, with rookie Ryan Spadola in reserve.

Nelson, cut Aug. 31 by the Cleveland Browns, worked out for the Jets last week before the injuries hit. He played with the Buffalo Bills from 2010 to 2012, compiling 94 catches, 1,042 yards and eight touchdowns.Hill suffered his concussion on the second play of the game, when he was hit in the head by Titans safety Michael Griffin. There was no penalty on the play. A dazed Hill walked slowly to the sideline and was taken to the locker room for the mandatory concussion tests. On Monday, Rex Ryan confirmed the diagnosis.

This is a potentially significant setback for Holmes, who played in the first four games after making it back from a severe LisFranc injury that required two surgeries on his foot. In fact, Monday was the one-year anniversary of the injury.

> http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9754250/new-york-jets-hurting-wr-add-david-nelson?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Our offense could be feeling a little sore and thin this week as it fights through some injuries at wide receiver and running back. But the "O" may also get a shot of adrenaline with the return of RB Mike Goodson from his four-game suspension.

"Words can’t even express how excited I am, just being able to be back out there," Goodson said from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room Monday. "We just had a walkthrough, and to be back out there with my teammates and even just watching them go through a walkthrough, being able to be out there is cool."

Just think of how pumped Goodson will be for live practices later this week.

He said he has maintained strict two-a-day workout and nutrition schedules, and he's not overly concerned about "getting into football shape."

"I think the stuff I was doing was pretty applicable. It's nothing like football, though," he said. "Going through a week of practice, I think I'll be ready. ... I'm healthy, strong, fast and ready to play."

Head coach Rex Ryan could have some details about how Goodson will be introduced into the offense. Bilal Powell has been taking the majority of the tailback touches, with his 292 rushing yards tied for the AFC lead with Houston's Arian Foster."Bilal's doing a tremendous job for us," Ryan said. "I can't say enough good things about him."We'll know more later this week about whether or not Chris Ivory can return to action after sitting out the Tennessee game with a hamstring injury. Alex Green and rookie FB Tommy Bohanon have been pitching in with the offensive carries.

Most fans don't know a lot about Goodson, who's had only 160 carries in three seasons with Carolina and one with Oakland. But he had good averages of 4.5 yards per carry and 8.9 per reception in those seasons. He also has had 91 career kickoff returns for 21.9 yards per return.He's itching to use his athletic ability to help Geno Smith and the offense move, improve and progress. At the 2009 NFL Combine workouts, he was seventh among all RBs with a 4.54-second time in the 40. And his most impressive combine event was the vertical jump — his 39.5" leap is 10th-best among all RBs at the last six combines combined.

Goodson doesn't know how he'll be used, but he knows that he wants to be used. What can he add to our attack beginning in Game 5 at Atlanta on Monday night? "Hopefully a spark," he said. "Wherever they choose to put me at, just bring a spark."

Shake, Rattle and Roll

Backup Titans DE Karl Klug executed a rare "triple play" against Geno Smith and the Jets early in the fourth quarter Sunday. Klug forced the Smith fumble, recovered it and scored with it.That's only the third time since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger that an opponent has performed all three feats in the course of one fumble play against the Jets. You'll remember that San Diego LB Donald Butler plucked the ball away from TE Dustin Keller after a reception and took it 37 yards for the TD just 1:49 into our 2011 home game against the Chargers.And New England S Tebucky Jones did the same on a sack of Vinny Testaverde in the Jets' 2002 home opener.

Only two Jets players have a similar trifecta. S Kerry Rhodes forced a Brandon Jacobs fumble and took the ball 11 yards for the score in the opening quarter of the 2007 game at the Giants.And DT Darrell Davis' major contribution in his two Jets seasons came in his rookie season when he strip-sacked Warren Moon and pounced on the loose ball in the end zone in the 1990 game against the Oilers in the Astrodome.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...2-9dd554f05c02

While I agree Mornhinweg has hardly proved himself to be the savior, and the offense is still a problem, I think the distinction is execution versus mind-numbingly stupid playcalls.  While the former is still an issue, the latter has definitely sen a steep decline (although admittedly, not completely disappeared).  Don't forget that with Schotty, things had gotten so bad that even the fans knew what play was coming the vast majority of the time, so you sure as hell know the opposing teams did as well.  Not to mention watching things like have multiple WRs running to the same spot on the field, the FB lining up out wide, the entire team running routes short of the first down on third and the list goes on.  It's not as much about having some amazing OC who is fixing everything as much as it is no longer having an OC like Schotty or Sparano who both did a worse job than some 6-year old would have done using a playbook out of Madden.

Schotty is terrible.  We see what he's doing to Bradford and the Rams.  Taking a kid who looked like he was going to be a good QB and turned him into bust material. Why does that guy still have a job in the NFL as a coach?   Tony was just a dumb move. He wasn't an OC.  As far as the current offense, I hope it gets better, but who knows.  They get called for a lot of penalties, which isn't a good thing.  Maybe it's the players. Maybe it's the coach.  But at some point some of that has to come back on Marty.

Schotty is terrible.  We see what he's doing to Bradford and the Rams.  Taking a kid who looked like he was going to be a good QB and turned him into bust material. Why does that guy still have a job in the NFL as a coach?   Tony was just a dumb move. He wasn't an OC.  As far as the current offense, I hope it gets better, but who knows.  They get called for a lot of penalties, which isn't a good thing.  Maybe it's the players. Maybe it's the coach.  But at some point some of that has to come back on Marty.

How?  Bradford has been statistically better with Schottenheimer than Shurmur or McDaniels.  He didn't ruin some impending superstar.  If you think Bradford is a bust now, he was always a bust.

Jet fans love to dump on the OC.

First of all, the Jets were behind 10-0 at the end of the first quarter.  24-6 at the half.  You don't run the ball against a team that is slicing up your D and is ahead by more than two scores.

Second, with Ivory out, Powell was the only good RB suited up.  add in the plays for him with screen passes, and exactly how much more of going to him would have changed the game? 

The Jets did not lose the game because they abandoned the running game.   They lost the game because their rookie Qb made mistakes a player should not be making in Pop Warner.

The playcalling is much better, and free of the too predictable kind of plays we saw too much of the previous four plus years.

Marty cannot be blamed for the way the Jets spend all their ffirst round draft picks on D.  He can't be blamed for failures on the O like Vlad, Hill's propensity for dropsies (which seem to be declining under Marty's coaching staff, btw),for Holmes having to work his way back from injury and now injured again, or the lack of depth everywhere.  He can't be blamed for the Jets not having a decent Qb on the roster.  He can't be blamed for poor execution.

But the OC is everyone's favorite whipping boy so let's blame Marty.

Marty had great success in Philly.  but he has the worst roster on O the Jets have had in recent memory.  Let's be fair with him.

Jets RB Mike Goodson: 'I'm a playmaker'

-- Mike Goodson missed training camp and the first four weeks of the regular season, but he hopes to make his New York Jets debut Monday night against the Atlanta Falcons.

"I feel like I'm a playmaker," the veteran running back said Wednesday after his first practice. "I have speed. Out there today, I felt pretty fast. That's what I'm going to hang my hat on."

Goodson, suspended four games for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy, was allowed to train at the team's facility during the suspension, but he wasn't permitted to work out or practice with the team.

Coach Rex Ryan was non-committal on whether Goodson would play, noting that he's not in football shape. Chances are, Goodson will have a small role, perhaps spot duty at running back and kickoff returner -- an area that could use a spark. With Chris Ivory still recovering from a hamstring injury, the Jets could use another pair of legs to help Bilal Powell in the backfield.

"I was excited to be out there today, so I can't imagine what it'll be like as we get closer to Monday night," he said.

This has been a difficult six months for Goodson. After signing as a free agent last March, he was arrested on drug and weapons charges. There was speculation he would be released, but the team stood by him. He didn't report to training camp as he reportedly received treatment for an apparent substance-abuse issue. The suspension was handed down at the end of the preseason.

"I've had a lot of time to think and get things together," he said. "I'm excited about [playing]."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/28340/jets-rb-mike-goodson-im-a-playmaker

Archived