Wilkerson, Coples fined for hit that hurt Locker

By Brian Costello

October 3, 2013 | 10:27am

Modal Trigger

locker.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
Jake Locker gets carted off the field

Photo: Getty Images

MORE ON:

Titans QB Jake Locker said he thought the hit he was injured on from Jets DL Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples was clean.

“I didn’t feel like that on the field and after watching it, you know, it wasn’t anything malicious,” he told reporters in Tennessee. “I kind of got bounced into the second guy. I didn’t feel like they were out to get me, no.”

Despite Locker thinking the hit was clean, the NFL hit both Wilkerson and Coples with fines. Wilkerson was fined $15,785 and a source said Coples was fined $7,875. Wilkerson appealed his fine.

Titans S Michael Griffin was fined $21,000 by the NFL for his hit on Jets WR Stephen Hill, Griffin told reporters in Nashville.

Jake Locker feels Jets don't deserve fines for hit that injured his knee, hip

3150.png by Michael J. Fensom/The Star-Ledger

10/2/2013 7:35 PM

Email

Jake Locker, speaking for the first time since spraining his hip and knee against the Jets, said the hit that sent him to the hospital Sunday night shouldn't draw fines from the NFL for Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples.

In the third quarter of Sunday's game, Wilkerson hit Locker shortly after the Titans quarterback threw a pass. As Locker fell, Coples also made contact with him. The force of the combined hit caused Locker to injure his right leg.

"I didn't feel like that on the field and after watching it, you know, it wasn't anything malicious, I didn't feel like," Locker said. "I kind of got bounced into the second guy. I didn't feel like they were out to get me, no."

The Titans coach, Mike Munchak, criticized the hit. Wilkerson has maintained it was a legal shot -- evidenced by the fact he was not flagged during the game.

In other news, Donte Whitner, San Fransisco safety often flagged/fined for his malicious hits on defenseless receivers has filed legal paperwork to have his last name changed to "Hitner".  Asked for comment, he replied, "That's what I do. It's my last name and removing a letter makes it pretty cool".

Super cool, douche.  You can't make this stuff up.  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9759786/donte-whitner-san-francisco-49ers-changing-name-hitner-fine

They are going overboard with the fines on players. Coples accidently bumbed into Locker and gets a fine

If you watch the video, coples was actually more at fault. He could have avoided it and instead dropped his shoulder and shoved him as well.

Wilkerson was on the fine line where he knew it was close but took the shot, nothing really wrong with that. Copies just took the shot for fun.

I can kind of understand the Wilkerson fine.  Not that I necessarily agree with it, but it's at least fairly consistent with what the league has been doing lately.  Fining Coples, on the other hand, is an absolute joke (and that's putting it nicely).

They are trending to be more consistent with fining players on QB hits, so this I can buy.  However, the only thing that troubles me about this hit is that there's no safer place to be hit then right at the meat of his thighs like Wilk did.  It's a bang-bang play and I get protecting the QB, but if he bounces up w/out any problems then I have a feeling there's no fine here and that's the issue I take with it.

They are trending to be more consistent with fining players on QB hits, so this I can buy.  However, the only thing that troubles me about this hit is that there's no safer place to be hit then right at the meat of his thighs like Wilk did.  It's a bang-bang play and I get protecting the QB, but if he bounces up w/out any problems then I have a feeling there's no fine here and that's the issue I take with it.

Oh yeah, don't disagree with you at all.  If Locker doesn't get hurt, there's not a word about the play from the commentators, the coaches or the NFL.

Agreed. He just gained a whole bunch of browny points with me by making thos statements. Sounds like he may be a rare fella that understands that football is for big boys

One of my best friends actually was a D1 athlete at UW and said he's one of the most down-to-earth guys you'll ever meet and one of the most incredible athletes he's ever met, at a school full of incredible athletes.  Never really saw him out partying crazy and was more of a girlfriend and dog kind of guy.  Huge fan of the kid, very easy to root for.

Archived