Pats are Hurting But Very Dangerous

flgreen

OCT 16

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

T

The questions are bound to come up a hundred times this week: Are the New England Patriots vulnerable? Is this the New York Jets' big chance?

You've heard this storyline for more than a year, and it will be on the forefront this week because the Patriots are decimated as they prepare to face the Jets Sunday at MetLife Stadium. The latest news broke Tuesday night, with Yahoo! Sports reporting that linebacker Jerod Mayo could be lost for the remainder of the season after undergoing surgery Tuesday to repair a torn pectoral muscle.

The Patriots recently lost their outstanding defensive tackle Vince Wilfork to a season-ending injury, wiping out their two heart-and-soul players on defense.

Drawn from more than five decades of history, ESPN New York presents its 50 Greatest Jets. Top 50 Photo Gallery  Rank 'Em

This would be akin to the Jets losing David Harris and Muhammad Wilkerson.

It's a continuing trend for the Patriots. They have no Wes Welker, no Aaron Hernandez, no Danny Woodhead and no Rob Gronkowski (maybe). Welker Lite, Danny Amendola, also is a question mark this week. But they're still atop the AFC East. They're still winning because they have Tom Brady and nobody else does. He has a way of winning with a patchwork supporting cast.

There will be no Brady pity from Rex Ryan.

"What’s their record, 5-1 or something like that?" Ryan asked Monday. "I think he’s pretty good. He looks pretty good to me. Always has."

That's because Ryan has lost five straight to Brady.

So to answer the question: Are the Patriots vulnerable? Well, yeah, they're more vulnerable than in the past, but they're still better in a diminished state than everybody else in the division.

ICYMI: The Jets, battling their own injuries, made a flurry of roster moves Tuesday. They signed WR/KR Josh Cribbs and WR Greg Salas and placed RB Mike Goodson and WR Clyde Gates on season-ending injured reserve. On Sunday, the receiving corps will consist of Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, David Nelson, Michael Campbell and Cribbs. Santonio Holmes (hamstring) is a long shot to play. Talk about patchwork. ... Here's my film review of last week. ... The Jets are 20th in the latest ESPN.com Power Rankings. ... And a former local-college football star comes home to the Jets.

Jets play the Pats lousy at MetLife, play better in Foxboro so this one is already over. Geno is up and down and Rex can only coach in certain modes. As always I am hopeful and will watch to the (bitter) end but I have little faith in Rex Ryan's ability to lift his team against the 'genius' Belichick.

The Pats are winning because their defense has been balling out. Chandler Jones is a star and Aqib Talib has been the DPOY imo.

Brady, for as good as he is, has been pretty mediocre this season.

Meh, the D balled vs. EJ Manuel (not really, needed Brady to bail them out), Geno Smith, Josh Freeman and Andy Dalton.

They almost choked vs. Matt Ryan and they needed another bail out by Brady on Sunday vs. Brees.

Meh, the D balled vs. EJ Manuel (not really, needed Brady to bail them out), Geno Smith, Josh Freeman and Andy Dalton.

They almost choked vs. Matt Ryan and they needed another bail out by Brady on Sunday vs. Brees.

They are forcing turnovers to help a struggling offense too. Something good defenses do.

Being home means nothing anymore for this team, since nobody cheers, so count that advantage out. I just don't see this sh*tty secondary stopping Brady. The offense will have to carry this. A daunting thought b

Have you seen the Patriots offense? 

While Ridley seems to be getting going, the receivers and TEs are inconsistent. 

If the Jets control the Patriots running game, I could easily seeing the Jets shutting the Patriots down like the Bengals did. 

After the first five minutes of the last game, the Patriots only scored 3 points against the Jets.  While they did leave some points on the field, it was not that many.

Plus, the Patriots losses on D, the Jets should win this game.

If the Jets control the Patriots running game, I could easily seeing the Jets shutting the Patriots down like the Bengals did. 

After the first five minutes of the last game, the Patriots only scored 3 points against the Jets.  While they did leave some points on the field, it was not that many.

Only way we can win is if we have zero turnovers; yes, Brady hasn't been himself this year and the WRs aren't as dynamic as past years, but if you give #12 enough opportunities with the ball, he's eventually going to score on you.  I just don't think we have the horses to score enough to win, unless the defense pitches a shutout; the loss of wilfork hurts, but spikes has made up for that almost by himself.  It'd be one thing if we had the players to torch your linebackers, but since we do not, you can afford to have Spikes, Hightower and Collins in there longer, when they'd usually be a liability in pass coverage. 

I see another close game with a heartbreaking 4th quarter loss.

After the first five minutes of the last game, the Patriots only scored 3 points against the Jets. While they did leave some points on the field, it was not that many.

Again with this sh*t?

Different season, same trolls.

I can sum this game up in a nutshell. 

The Jets will struggle more to replace the production of Mike Goodson, Clyde Gates and Braylon Edwards, than the Pats will to replace Mayo, Wilfork and whoever else is hurt, Amendolina.

Only way we can win is if we have zero turnovers; yes, Brady hasn't been himself this year and the WRs aren't as dynamic as past years, but if you give #12 enough opportunities with the ball, he's eventually going to score on you.  I just don't think we have the horses to score enough to win, unless the defense pitches a shutout; the loss of wilfork hurts, but spikes has made up for that almost by himself.  It'd be one thing if we had the players to torch your linebackers, but since we do not, you can afford to have Spikes, Hightower and Collins in there longer, when they'd usually be a liability in pass coverage. 

I see another close game with a heartbreaking 4th quarter loss.

I agree, if it gets into a scoring match, that favors the Patriots.  However, as you pointed out, we won the TO battle last time 4-0 and barely won 13-10.

The Jets ran the ball well last time with Wilfork and Mayo.  I think their loss will be huge this time.

Again with this sh*t?

Different season, same trolls.

Actually, I have been a troll since the beginning. 

And what did I say that was wrong? 

The Jets shutdown the Patriots run game last time.   24 carries-54 yards.

Sure, Edelman had a big catch game, but the Patriots had only 13 points (3 off a turnover), 232 yards and 9 first downs.

The Patriots had one decent drive (their first one), and after that struggled to move the ball all night.  If the Jets did not kill themselves, the Jets would have won that game. 

If they come out pissed off, then they have a chance.  But knowing the Pats, they have a high level of confidence after last weeks game, they hate the jets, and every time they come back from a game where everybody says Pats are done or Pats should have lost, the Pats destroy the opponent.    Hell the Saints were the undefeated team and the Pats were done.   Pats still wound up winning.  

As far as home games,  the Jets just looked awful against the Steelers, a team who looks terrible this season.   The horrible fact about the Steelers game is the Jets didn't really play horribly, they just looked like a bad team playing another bad team who was a bit better that day.    

I dont think PF is trolling....he's right. The Patriots offense right now isnt very good. Brady hasn't been making these sh*tty WR's into anything more than they are. Rex was laboring in his presser today on how the Jets didnt get any credit for shutting down the Patriots passing game. Gimme a break.

Actually, I have been a troll since the beginning.

And what did I say that was wrong?

The Jets shutdown the Patriots run game last time. 24 carries-54 yards.

Sure, Edelman had a big catch game, but the Patriots had only 13 points (3 off a turnover), 232 yards and 9 first downs.

The Patriots had one decent drive (their first one), and after that struggled to move the ball all night. If the Jets did not kill themselves, the Jets would have won that game.

The Jets have an average pass defense and a rookie QB. This is the same old Garb nobody-believes-in-us ploy of building up an inferior opponent so that once you win, you can call it a huge win instead of a routine one.

The Jets have an average pass defense and a rookie QB. This is the same old Garb nobody-believes-in-us ploy of building up an inferior opponent so that once you win, you can call it a huge win instead of a routine one.

The Bengals had the Pats offense to 6 points. This really isnt a very good offense.

I fear what a win for the Jets will do however. 

Archived