Head coach rankings

MexiRoll6

I offer my Jets brethren a list of the top-15 head coaches currently in the NFL now, and this is simply my opinion.

1 - Sean Payton, 2 - Bill Belichick, 3 - Mike Tomlin, 4 - Andy Reid, 5 - John Harbaugh, 6 - Jim Harbaugh, 7 - Pete Carroll, 8 - John Fox, 9 - Tom Coughlin, 10 - Mike McCarthy, 11 - Chip Kelly, 12 - Jeff Fisher, 13 - Chuck Pagano, 14 - Marvin Lewis, 15 - Mark Trestman.

The jury is still out on a good many of these guys like Gus Bradley, Ron Rivera, Dennis Allen, Rob Chudzinski, Doug Marrone, Bruce Ariens and Mike McCoy.

Guys that suck are Shanahan, Mike Munchak, Greg Schiano, Jim Schwartz, Jason Garrett, Leslie Frazier, Joe Philbin, Mike Smith,  Gary Kubiak and Rex Ryan.

I'm not saying that because I listed Rex last that he is the worst, he is NOT the worst but he is AMONG them, so why would we want to keep him. I know I will get a lot of attacks as the Rex apologists are alive and well on this site, but have at it.

If I had to play a game for my life, I know I would rather have Payton, Belichick or Tomlin or a good number of this top-15 as my coach rather than Rex. I would also take a couple of the lousy ones over him also. I think the only ones Rex is better than are Kubiak, Schwartz, Frazier, Allen and Schiano, but that's about it.

Now you guys know why I am listed as a one trick pony. I will NOT be happy until Rex is an EX.

I offer my Jets brethren a list of the top-15 head coaches currently in the NFL now, and this is simply my opinion.

1 - Sean Payton, 2 - Bill Belichick, 3 - Mike Tomlin, 4 - Andy Reid, 5 - John Harbaugh, 6 - Jim Harbaugh, 7 - Pete Carroll, 8 - John Fox, 9 - Tom Coughlin, 10 - Mike McCarthy, 11 - Chip Kelly, 12 - Jeff Fisher, 13 - Chuck Pagano, 14 - Marvin Lewis, 15 - Mark Trestman.

The jury is still out on a good many of these guys like Gus Bradley, Ron Rivera, Dennis Allen, Rob Chudzinski, Doug Marrone, Bruce Ariens and Mike McCoy.

Guys that suck are Shanahan, Mike Munchak, Greg Schiano, Jim Schwartz, Jason Garrett, Leslie Frazier, Joe Philbin, Mike Smith,  Gary Kubiak and Rex Ryan.

I'm not saying that because I listed Rex last that he is the worst, he is NOT the worst but he is AMONG them, so why would we want to keep him. I know I will get a lot of attacks as the Rex apologists are alive and well on this site, but have at it.

If I had to play a game for my life, I know I would rather have Payton, Belichick or Tomlin or a good number of this top-15 as my coach rather than Rex. I would also take a couple of the lousy ones over him also. I think the only ones Rex is better than are Kubiak, Schwartz, Frazier, Allen and Schiano, but that's about it.

Now you guys know why I am listed as a one trick pony. I will NOT be happy until Rex is an EX.

Not to far off as far as I am concerned. I would clearly move Tomlin down, to about where Coughlin is. Rex to me is somewhere in the middle of the pack, average at best but definitely NOT top 15. O the coaches where the "jury is still out" I prefer MARRONE over the rest.

To me the two worst coaches in the NFL right now are Kubiak, and Garrett. Theses two do the least with the most talent.

Mexi your #1 HC was outcoached by Rex two games ago. Rex's D outperformed Sean's O. both guys were calling plays against each other and Rex came out on top. 

some Jets fans are treating this 5-5 team like it was 0-10

for Rex to have this crap show at .500 is a miracle of coaching

Mexi your #1 HC was outcoached by Rex two games ago. Rex's D outperformed Sean's O. both guys were calling plays against each other and Rex came out on top. 

some Jets fans are treating this 5-5 team like it was 0-10

for Rex to have this crap show at .500 is a miracle of coaching

I guess that puts Marrone at the top of the list, because he clearly out coached Rex last week. And if not for a terrible play in week one the Jets would not have beaten Tampa. They should have a sweep of the Pats under their belts, but no. Rex is not a terrible HC, I would not go as far as to say he is Kotite bad, but he clearly is NOT in the top-10 or even 15. My point is and has been if you want mediocre Rex is your guy. He will always win one you don't expect and will lose some you don't expect. What I can't stand is when the Jets get blown out completely which has happened three times this year alone.

I guess that puts Marrone at the top of the list, because he clearly out coached Rex last week. And if not for a terrible play in week one the Jets would not have beaten Tampa. They should have a sweep of the Pats under their belts, but no. Rex is not a terrible HC, I would not go as far as to say he is Kotite bad, but he clearly is NOT in the top-10 or even 15. My point is and has been if you want mediocre Rex is your guy. He will always win one you don't expect and will lose some you don't expect. What I can't stand is when the Jets get blown out completely which has happened three times this year alone.

i can't stand the Jets getting blown out completely either. it stinks.

It's also not because of Rex Ryan. It's his ceremonial fault as in "the buck stops here" but the QB is more important than the HC in this NFL and the Jets QB is

Unsure-Larry-David.gif

bitownedti

marrone and rex split this year btw. each guy won big at home. What does that prove? 

side note, actually like marrone former Jets OL coach and wish him and Pettine the best of luck. He's a good fit in that town, coming directly from Syracuse. That whole Buffalo fanbase is always a pleasure to interact with... and they do fun things like try to slide down a banister on the upper deck of a stadium. 

If I was hiring a coach to win one game:

1. Tom Coughlin

2. Bill Belichick

3. Rex Ryan

4. Sean Payton

5. Mike Tomlin

If I was hiring a coach to build a program from the ground up:

1. Sean Payton

2. Bill Belichick

3. Tom Coughlin

4. John Fox

5a. John Harbaugh

5b. Jim Harbaugh

Hahaha yes!

Actually, I was skeptical of Kelly bringing in his system to the NFL, but he is making more of a believer in me everyday. The job he has done with Nick Foles is pretty remarkable, and defensively, they are not embarrassing by any means. I know he coaches in the worst division in football, but I would not be at all surprised if he wins that division.

However, and I hate to say this, but the way the GIANTS are going right now, they too could win that division, and if they do, get a coach of the year honor ready for Coughlin, because I am quite sure that no team ever started 0-6 and won their division.

Actually, I was skeptical of Kelly bringing in his system to the NFL, but he is making more of a believer in me everyday. The job he has done with Nick Foles is pretty remarkable, and defensively, they are not embarrassing by any means. I know he coaches in the worst division in football, but I would not be at all surprised if he wins that division.

However, and I hate to say this, but the way the GIANTS are going right now, they too could win that division, and if they do, get a coach of the year honor ready for Coughlin, because I am quite sure that no team ever started 0-6 and won their division.

That's because a well coached, prepared team doesn't go 0-6 to start a season. The same reason Rex probably shouldn't get it unless you want to ignore every other week.

He was awful, until Foles ended up coming in and making him look good. Kelly gave the job to Vick, and at every turn, until it became too obvious to deny, tried to keep Foles in the backup role.

Kelly hasn't done half the job Rex has. Your list and evaluations stinkaroo.

That's because a well coached, prepared team doesn't go 0-6 to start a season. The same reason Rex probably shouldn't get it unless you want to ignore every other week.

What I find amazing about Coughlin, is it seems the Giants go through a terrible strtch every year, even in the years he won the Superbowl, and the guys just never gives up, amazingly resilient, yet he always finds away to rally his teams, and then if they do make the playoffs, they seem to thrive as the underdog. All qualities of a great coach.

He was awful, until Foles ended up coming in and making him look good. Kelly gave the job to Vick, and at every turn, until it became too obvious to deny, tried to keep Foles in the backup role.

Kelly hasn't done half the job Rex has. Your list and evaluations stinkaroo.

Cant argue with the fact that KELLEY definitely wanted Vick, but when he had to go to Foles, the guy thrived in Kellys system. As I said, I was skeptical about Kelley, but week after week watching his teams, I am becoming more of a believer.

This list was made for the sole purpose of having another opportunity to say Rex Sux

You know me so well. One Trick Pony indeed. I believe that I am obsessed with Rex being an Ex. I can't stand him and the mediocrity he has made of this team since 2010 when it all looked sooooo promising. No one has made comment on that yet. Since AFC loss to Pittsburgh, the Jets are 19-23 and are working on their SECOND ROOKIE QB. No one should get that many chances to get it right.

You know me so well. One Trick Pony indeed. I believe that I am obsessed with Rex being an Ex. I can't stand him and the mediocrity he has made of this team since 2010 when it all looked sooooo promising. No one has made comment on that yet. Since AFC loss to Pittsburgh, the Jets are 19-23 and are working on their SECOND ROOKIE QB. No one should get that many chances to get it right.

Not making that argument.  Just mocking your transparency.  Also, still waiting on your response in the Pennington thread.  Looking forward to it, even.

Also, the downfall of this team after 2010 was not unexpected.  We were built to win 2008-2010.  We had bad contracts and old players.  We missed our window thanks to giving a Ferrari to a child.  That could have been salvageable if the QB improved into the player you hoped he would be when you traded up to #5.  Unfortunately, the team had to pay the tab for the moves Tannenbaum had made, and you couldn't hide the QB anymore.

Also, the downfall of this team after 2010 was not unexpected. We were built to win 2008-2010. We had bad contracts and old players. We missed our window thanks to giving a Ferrari to a child. That could have been salvageable if the QB improved into the player you hoped he would be when you traded up to #5. Unfortunately, the team had to pay the tab for the moves Tannenbaum had made, and you couldn't hide the QB anymore.

When you say we "gave a Ferrari to a child," are you referring to Sanchez or Rex?

• 2 weeks later...

I think what gets lost in all of the blowout losses is how long the defense is on the field.  I get that they give up plays BUT no defense is perfect.  Look no further than the fish game of 2 days ago.  ToP was just incredible.  Like 5 mins vs 25 mins at one point.  You cant ask any defense to stay on the field that long and not give up pts.  That doesn't even consider field position battle which tends to be lost when your offense is going 3 and out all fvcking game.  Label me as an apologist but you don't fire Rex because your offense is offensive...

How much input does Carroll have on personnel in Seattle?

As vice president of football operations he's basically the defacto general manager, but the reasons for their success I would hardly lay at his feet, namely Wilson and Lynch. However, Carroll rose the collegiate and professional ranks as a defensive backs coach so it's possible he had significant input on selecting Thomas, Sherman and Chancelor and bringing in  Browner. Regardless, without hitting on Wilson, Carroll would most likely be fielding the 2009/10 new york jets right now. 

Archived