Gary Myers: Smith Needs to Be Benched

flgreen

Like Broncos great John Elway, NY Jets rookie QB Geno Smith needs to be benched Rex Ryan should take a page out of Dan Reeves' book and put his rookie quarterback on the bench. Reeves said the difference in Elway was 'night and day.' Comments (13) NEW YORK DAILY NEWS MONDAY, NOVEMBER 25, 2013, 11:58 PM

Print
SHARE THIS URL:
451764679.jpg PATRICK SMITH/GETTY IMAGES  

The Jets don't necessarily have to walk away from Geno Smith, but they should put him on the bench for a few games, so he can watch and learn.

Geno Smith has been imploding for weeks and although the Jets need to know by the end of the season if he is their quarterback of the future, the best thing for him right now is to sit and watch for a couple of weeks.

It once worked for John Elway and although the situations are different — Elway is more talented and the Broncos had veteran backup Steve DeBerg, not Matt Simms the concept is the same: When a rookie quarterback is regressing, he needs a timeout and a chance to regroup.

“It made all the difference in the world,” Dan Reeves said on Monday. It was Reeves who made the call to bench Elway during his rookie season in 1983. “It was like when people take a course in Spanish and make an A in class, but when they go to Mexico, they don’t have a clue.

“John knew the offense, but he was trying to memorize things rather than feeling comfortable with the language. When John came back, the difference was night and day.”

elway-retiring.jpg DOUG MILLS/AP John Elway is plenty lost as a rookie, but he turns it around and lands in the Hall of Fame.

That would be the hope for the Jets, if they decided to sit down Smith, but Rex Ryan announced Monday that Smith will start Sunday against the Dolphins with the season very much at stake.

This is a tricky situation for Ryan. He is in the stretch drive trying to secure a contract extension and needs to prevent the Jets from falling apart after watching Smith implode in back-to-back losses to Bills and Ravens. Ryan still has to prove to owner Woody Johnson and GM John Idzik that he is the right coach for the Jets for 2014 and beyond. Going from 5-5 to 6-10 would not look good on his resume.

But realistically, could Simms really do any worse than Smith — who has one touchdown and 10 interceptions in the last six games?

Once Mark Sanchez was injured in the preseason, the Jets’ season became dedicated to finding out if Smith is their guy. If not, in a quarterback-heavy draft in May, they may be forced to find Smith’s replacement in the first round. In a weird way, sitting Smith down for a week or two could help the Jets find out what he’s all about.

451765035.jpg PATRICK SMITH/GETTY IMAGES Smith has a rough go of things against the Ravens this past Sunday.

Just getting Smith off the field and giving him a chance to regroup would help him in the long-term although it might upset him in the short-term. And perhaps Simms, who has played well in limited opportunities, might provide a spark.

I would sit Smith for a game or two and then give him the final three games to make a case that he should be the quarterback in 2014.

Reeves decided to start Elway in his first game as a rookie in 1983. Reeves grew up in the Cowboys system where Don Meredith was the veteran starter and Roger Staubach and Craig Morton sat and learned from him.

Elway was considered the greatest quarterback prospect of all time and Reeves said he had an outstanding preseason. He started him the first five games — he benched him at the half the first two games — before switching to DeBerg. Elway wound up starting 10 games as a rookie, but when DeBerg recovered from an injury, Reeves started him in the playoffs.

elway-retiring.jpg CLIFF GRASSMICK/AP Elway celebrates beating the Packers, one of two Super Bowl wins in his career.

Reeves thought things were moving too fast for Elway it was the days before the coach could communicate with his quarterback via the radio helmet and felt he needed to watch for a while to better absorb what was going on.

Of course, the Jets don’t have a veteran ready to play like DeBerg. “That makes it difficult,” Reeves said. “The players want a chance to win.”

There is no formula how to handle rookie quarterbacks even if the recent trend is to play them immediately and let them learn by tough love.

Tom Coughlin started Kurt Warner the first nine games in 2004 before switching to rookie Eli Manning, who started the last seven games and struggled. Manning had that forgettable game in Baltimore where his QB rating was 0.0. He lost his first six starts, but when the Giants beat the Cowboys with 11 seconds to go in the final game of the season, it provided Manning a foundation to build on and the Giants made the playoffs in 2005.

The success of last year's rookies Andrew Luck, Rober

t Griffin III and Russell Wilson raised expectations for Smith that he hasn’t been able to live up to. Smith looks lost and needs to take a seat.

If sitting down Elway worked, then maybe it could work for Smith.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-jets-realize-sitting-smith-el-way-article-1.1529113#ixzz2llLKu6GB

Green Day: Jets will ride out the storm

November, 26, 2013

NOV 26

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Rex Ryan let Geno Smith twist in the wind for 24 hours, but there was never much doubt that he'd stick with his struggling rookie for Sunday against the Miami Dolphins. It was the right call. It was the only call.

Let us not lose sight of what this season is about: It's about Smith, trying to find out if he's the guy you want to build your franchise around. So far, the answer is no, but there's a lot of football to be played. They've gone this far with him, so it wouldn't make much sense to bail out at this point.

It's a delicate decision because they have to weigh short term versus long term. A gray area developed over the first two months of the season, when the Jets surprised everyone by jumping into playoff contention. Suddenly, long term became an afterthought. After upsetting the New Orleans Saints to improve to 5-4, a go-for-it mentality developed, reinforced by the signing of aging safety Ed Reed. It was a win-now move.

Since then, the Jets haven't been winning now. They've been losing, two in a row. The temptation is to try Matt Simms, figuring he can't be any worse than Smith, but the organization doesn't see him as part of its future. And, yes, he can be worse. They might as well ride it out with Smith unless he reaches the point where he can't function at the position. For now, they're not going to make a panic move by succumbing to the whims of the fan base. The plan is to stay the course and find out about Smith. It might not be the popular choice, but it's the best choice.

Naturally, it sends mixed signals. The Jets want to win now while developing a young quarterback. In the real world, that's called having your cake and eating, too.

ICYMI: Ryan, perhaps trying to douse the flames of a quarterback controversy, named Smith the starter for Sunday against the Miami Dolphins, adding that he saw two areas of improvement in Baltimore. ... Ryan preached team unity during a team meeting. It means he's concerned about fracturing in the locker room. ... Troy Davis took a scary shot to the chest, getting blown up by Courtney Upshaw on punt coverage, but he was released from a Baltimore hospital after spending a night for observation. ... Our weekly playing-time breakdown. 

In Cimini's areticle it says and I quote "and yes, he can be worse". Really? 1 TD and 10 interceptions in last 6 games, that means he is averaging .18 touchdowns/game, and 1.7 Ints/game. These are Leaf, and Sanchez esque type numbers.

Ok, I will go on record as saying that when Simms gets a REAL chance to play, not mopup, he will have better numbers than these, because these are about as bad as numbers as any Professional QB could possibly put up.

I dont know what his TQBR is for these past 6 games but if it is above 20, I would be shocked.

Really, he can be worse? I dont believe that for a second.

OK what is the over/under on articles for switching QB's this week.

Think this might be the week the switch takes place.

The Fish have a pretty good defense.  They are one of the leaders in the NFL in interceptions.  They are surprisingly still in the playoff hunt after the Martin/Incognito mess.  ivory is hurt.

Not a good combination for Smith.   If it is a close game  and Smith throws a pick before the half, and is just generally ineffective, Rex has to do something.

Think he needs a big game, or sit

For once I agree with Rex. The Jets should stick with Geno despite his struggles. The fault is NOT all his. WR's are either invisible (Hill, Holmes) or dropping balls (Nelson) and running shorter routes because the O-Line is sieve-like in it's "protection". You can't fault a QB who is sacked or pressured before he even sets himself in the pocket and that has happened frequently. It IS on Geno that he hasn't learned to 'look off' safeties and clearly that resulted in an interception in the end zone on Sunday. Kurt Warner said he mostly likes what he has seen of Geno, but that he has not learned to identify man vs zone coverage and THAT my friends takes time. Matt Simms is the backup QB and clearly a popular guy right now as are ALL backups when the starter struggles. Rex - even at the risk of his own job - is sticking with Smith and the team is trying to decide if he is the guy moving forward. Maybe, maybe not, but for now he is the guy, like it or not.

Think this might be the week the switch takes place.

The Fish have a pretty good defense.  They are one of the leaders in the NFL in interceptions.  They are surprisingly still in the playoff hunt after the Martin/Incognito mess.  ivory is hurt.

Not a good combination for Smith.   If it is a close game  and Smith throws a pick before the half, and is just generally ineffective, Rex has to do something.

Think he needs a big game, or sit

All of this is assuming that Simms will play better than Geno when he is put in there. I don't expect the Jets to beat Miami this season. Nor do I expect them to beat Carolina so that is three more losses. What people are forgetting is that this is a rebuilding year and the 5-4 record at the bye artificially raised expectations for a playoff run that was NEVER going to materialize. Look at the trash the Jets trot out at WR and on the o-line. Ferguson and Howard are barely adequate in pass protection and Winters is a rookie being asked to identify stunts and shifts and Colon is paying on two very bad knees. This is a TWO YEAR project at the very least. I think Geno has the physical tools but the mental gymnastics are coming a little slower than hoped for.

cmon guys the Jets need these 5 games to really find out what they have in Geno. 

And I agree with you. Throwing Simms in now would be like waving a white flag and saying that Geno is a bust. He may be exactly that but give him a season to show. The last few games have been awful to watch but EVERYONE on offense is culpable except the RB's who had done everything asked of them.

It once worked for John Elway and although the situations are different — Elway is more talented and the Broncos had veteran backup Steve DeBerg, not Matt Simms the concept is the same: When a rookie quarterback is regressing, he needs a timeout and a chance to regroup.

Its just like the Elway situation!  only completely different!  

And I agree with you. Throwing Simms in now would be like waving a white flag and saying that Geno is a bust. He may be exactly that but give him a season to show. The last few games have been awful to watch but EVERYONE on offense is culpable except the RB's who had done everything asked of them.

I dont think it says Geno is a failure at all. I think it gives him a little time to sit and reset his thoughts. 

Geno is looking lost out there- not making reads and decisions that any QB needs to make-it would not be the worst thing in trying to develop him to have him sit. It is not going to happen as Rex has said already. It will get dicey if he continues his recent play against Dolphins- Rex has to make some move or will he?

All of this is assuming that Simms will play better than Geno when he is put in there. I don't expect the Jets to beat Miami this season. Nor do I expect them to beat Carolina so that is three more losses. What people are forgetting is that this is a rebuilding year and the 5-4 record at the bye artificially raised expectations for a playoff run that was NEVER going to materialize. Look at the trash the Jets trot out at WR and on the o-line. Ferguson and Howard are barely adequate in pass protection and Winters is a rookie being asked to identify stunts and shifts and Colon is paying on two very bad knees. This is a TWO YEAR project at the very least. I think Geno has the physical tools but the mental gymnastics are coming a little slower than hoped for.

That wasn't assuming anything.  I have no idea what Simms will do when he is put in there.  He may throw 4 picks instead of the usual 2 picks and a fumble.  Or he might come in  and play decent.  IDK.  I would like to have an idea before the season is over.

I expect the Jets to beat the Fish both games.  They aren't any better then the Jets except at QB. At in all honesty, Tannerhill isn't anything to write home about.  They do have a good pass rusher, and a secondary that is taking the ball away

I dont think it says Geno is a failure at all. I think it gives him a little time to sit and reset his thoughts. 

I agree.   Benching him isn't cutting him.  

Right now he has that bedazzled look.    A real example of that is the snap that hit the WR.  According to Mangold Smith gave him the command to snap the ball before the WR cleared.  How could he do that?  The guy was right in front of him.

I think he is panicking and just not seeing anything.    

That wasn't assuming anything.  I have no idea what Simms will do when he is put in there.  He may throw 4 picks instead of the usual 2 picks and a fumble.  Or he might come in  and play decent.  IDK.  I would like to have an idea before the season is over.

I expect the Jets to beat the Fish both games.  They aren't any better then the Jets except at QB. At in all honesty, Tannerhill isn't anything to write home about.  They do have a good pass rusher, and a secondary that is taking the ball away

Better at QB means better period. The NFL is a what? QB-driven league and that fact has been painfully pointed out the last few weeks as Geno has struggled. Think Simms is so much stronger than Geno that these pass rushers that are on him in 0.3 seconds will just fall off him? What about the WR's who drop balls like it was what they are supposed to do? It is NOT ALL ON GENO.

Better at QB means better period. The NFL is a what? QB-driven league and that fact has been painfully pointed out the last few weeks as Geno has struggled. Think Simms is so much stronger than Geno that these pass rushers that are on him in 0.3 seconds will just fall off him? What about the WR's who drop balls like it was what they are supposed to do? It is NOT ALL ON GENO.

And it wasn't ALL on Sanchez.  Both of them suck.   it's more then the last few weeks that he has struggled.  1 TD , 10 interceptions and 3 fumbles in 6 games.  That's not a rookie growing, that's horrible.  Even by Sanchez standards.

Not saying Simms is "so much stronger".  But in all honesty he will really have to work at it to be worst.  If he is, then at least the Jets know their at ground 0 with their QB situation.

This isn't a hyper-boil situation, lets see if Simms has anything.  or do they go into the first round next season looking for a QB again.  Be nice to find out.

If they go back to ACTUALLY THROWING THE BALL and ATTACKING, maybe Geno will come back.  The past two weeks he has completely sucked and so has our offense--- coincidentally all we have wanted to do is run on first and second and throw in third and long.  Yeah, we'll get somewhere that way.  I'd rather lose by trying than lose by not trying. This is bull sh*t and it comes down to the coaching right now.  They're not doing as good as they were in the beginning of the season.

If he switches to Simms, Geno will never play starting QB of the NY Jets ever again...but he wont cause ive realized that Rex is a robotic coach that is controlled more by front office politics & media headlines. He does not have the balls to pull a switch unless Geno is literally out there stabbing people with a broken bottle...and even then he'd probably still say he gives us the best chance to win.

After watching the Bills game and the Ravens game, there is a very slim chance that Simms would perform worse. The QB position is all about timing with his offense. Clearly, the bye week (as usualy under Rex) screwed the kid some and we got our buts kicked in by the Bills and we did not show up against the Ravens. Geno is only a side effect of what Rex provides as a head coach. I know there are some that think he is a good head coach and brings a lot of good to the table, But that's just smoke and mirrors. We were 5-4 had the 6th seed, had the bye and we come out and crap the bed yet again. And then follow it up this past sunday. Come on. Spare me the stupid talk like the post game pressers from Rex. I am tried of hearing the BS. Know the only thing that really matters is, is Rex not seeing what is going on? or is his hands tied by IZdick? Because what I have seen these past two weeks (after a freakin bye week) is not in the best interest of the Jets. There is zero chance that its in the best interest of the Jets. So note to Rex and IZdick, get your freakin heads out of your asses and have a game plan for the fins come sunday, win the freaking game and if that means benching the kid Geno then so be it. Its not about Geno, its about the Team.

they gave him the green light at the end of the game and he responded by throwing 2 garbage time interceptions. 

Eh, you can't shut a rookie qb down for a whole game and expect them to wake up in the end.  You have to get him going in the beginning.  I don't understand why they don't incorporate more quick throws to kill the blitz.  Seems like that's what a lot of teams do and for some reason we just don't.  A team that actually showed some brains and some talent on offense this year, even without "weapons" has just gone away.

In Cimini's areticle it says and I quote "and yes, he can be worse". Really? 1 TD and 10 interceptions in last 6 games, that means he is averaging .18 touchdowns/game, and 1.7 Ints/game. These are Leaf, and Sanchez esque type numbers.

Ok, I will go on record as saying that when Simms gets a REAL chance to play, not mopup, he will have better numbers than these, because these are about as bad as numbers as any Professional QB could possibly put up.

I dont know what his TQBR is for these past 6 games but if it is above 20, I would be shocked.

Really, he can be worse? I dont believe that for a second.

I completely agree. We are truly fisnished. Rex kiss those rings you stupid bastard.

Archived