Unloading Revis Was a Good Thing...

Steveg

not if they resigned him after the season. 

And there's no logical reason to sign a CB to $16M a year when we have the amount of needs we have.  Have you taken a look at our roster?  How would signing Revis to big money through his mid-30's help us?  Even if Revis were to play like he did in 2009 for us every season, we're still about an 8-8 team until we improve on the other side of the ball.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And there's no logical reason to sign a CB to $16M a year when we have the amount of needs we have.  Have you taken a look at our roster?  How would signing Revis to big money through his mid-30's help us?  Even if Revis played like he did in 2009, we're still about an 8-8 team until we improve on the other side of the ball.

They are paying Cro 10 and Milliner got a 7.5 mil signing bonus. there's your money right there.  even the most rabid revis hater has to admit he's a better investment than Cro and Dee. josh gordon coming to town this week who would you rather have covering him, Revis or Cro and Dee? 

They are paying Cro 10 and Milliner got a 7.5 mil signing bonus. there's your money right there.  even the most rabid revis hater has to admit he's a better investment than Cro and Dee. josh gordon coming to town this week who would you rather have covering him, Revis or Cro and Dee? 

Just because we apparently whiffed on Milliner doesn't make Revis a good investment.  No corner is worth the money being paid to Revis OR Cromartie.  That's the point.  Even with Revis, this is still not a playoff team.

Just because we apparently whiffed on Milliner doesn't make Revis a good investment.  No corner is worth the money being paid to Revis OR Cromartie.  That's the point. 

Milliner is what they got instead of "letting him walk for nothing"  At this point nothing is looking pretty pretty pretty good. 

the salary cap is 127 mil the Jets will have 50+ mil available next season. they have to pay someone. 18 mil for Jay Cutler?  

Milliner is what they got instead of "letting him walk for nothing"  At this point nothing is looking pretty pretty pretty good. 

the salary cap is 127 mil the Jets will have 50+ mil available next season. they have to pay someone. 18 mil for Jay Cutler?

Yes, If he is a fRanchise QB. Again, their are only 3, well maybe 2 positions on your team that you pay that kind of money: Franchise QB, Freakish Edge rusher, and Possibly, I said Possibly, Blind side tackle, Thats it, NOT Corner, safety, LB, WR, RB etc., just those 2. Period.

Yes, Cro AND Millner add up to Revis 1 PLAYER, not 2, and if you unload 1, you still have 1 which will happen with Cro.

As much as I'd love to have Revis, the dude plays Corner, and I dont care if he is freaking superman, he is a corner, and cant be paid that money. Watch the bucs try as hard as they can to get out of that contract, especially if they draft a Franchise QB. 

Yes, If he is a fRanchise QB. Again, their are only 3, well maybe 2 positions on your team that you pay that kind of money: Franchise QB, Freakish Edge rusher, and Possibly, I said Possibly, Blind side tackle, Thats it

Even a blind side OT isn't worth huge coin anymore.  You have to have a strong O-line as a unit these days and spread your spending across it relatively evenly to ensure that.  Pass-rushers are lining up all over the place, so spending big on a LT and having little left on the rest of the line isn't smart.

Even a blind side OT isn't worth huge coin anymore.  You have to have a strong O-line as a unit these days and spread your spending across it relatively evenly to ensure that.  Pass-rushers are lining up all over the place, so spending big on a LT and having little left on the rest of the line isn't smart.

Yeah, I know and I said possibly, but in reality your right. When he asked the question of paying Cutler the money, then I knew we had issues as Cutler, or anyone you think is a Franchise QB is exactly who you pay that money too.

Now, is Cutler a Franchise guy, thats a different subject? But the point is, is that those are the ONLY 2 positions you pay that money. period.

Yeah, I know and I said possibly, but in reality your right. When he asked the question of paying Cutler the money, then I knew we had issues as Cutler, or anyone you think is a Franchise QB is exactly who you pay that money too.

Now, is Cutler a Franchise guy, thats a different subject? But the point is, is that those are the ONLY 2 positions you pay that money. period.

I'd definitely prefer to give Cutler that kind of money than Revis.  No, Cutler doesn't strike anyone as a Super Bowl QB currently, but did Joe Flacco strike anyone as a Super Bowl caliber guy either?  You need to have a QB in this league who, every once in a while, can make you go "Did he really just do that?"  Cutler fits the bill better than a lot of names out there, and he's certainly way better than what we've had.  It also beats spending big on a CB.

I'd definitely prefer to give Cutler that kind of money than Revis.  No, Cutler doesn't strike anyone as a Super Bowl QB currently, but did Joe Flacco strike anyone as a Super Bowl caliber guy either?  You need to have a QB in this league who, every once in a while, can make you go "Did he really just do that?"  Cutler fits the bill better than a lot of names out there, and he's certainly way better than what we've had.  It also beats spending big on a CB.

Look, you know I am on record for wanting to trade up for Teddy or Johnny Football, but if I heard that the Jets just signed Jay Cutler, I would literally be doing backflips. Jay Cutler for all his inadequacies, compared to what we have been forced to witness these past 5 years, would be like changing from the last girl available at last call to a freaking supermodel.

I would take Jay Cutler in a heartbeat.

Dee, I'm in the finals for fantasy this week

Yes, If he is a fRanchise QB. Again, their are only 3, well maybe 2 positions on your team that you pay that kind of money: Franchise QB, Freakish Edge rusher, and Possibly, I said Possibly, Blind side tackle, Thats it, NOT Corner, safety, LB, WR, RB etc., just those 2. Period.

Yes, Cro AND Millner add up to Revis 1 PLAYER, not 2, and if you unload 1, you still have 1 which will happen with Cro.

As much as I'd love to have Revis, the dude plays Corner, and I dont care if he is freaking superman, he is a corner, and cant be paid that money. Watch the bucs try as hard as they can to get out of that contract, especially if they draft a Franchise QB. 

If they draft a franchise QB its more reason to keep Revis. The QB's contract will be low and they'll have an elite defender locked in in his prime.

If they draft a franchise QB its more reason to keep Revis. The QB's contract will be low and they'll have an elite defender locked in in his prime.

With our track record for drafting "franchise QB's" I'd prefer to spend some money on a Plan B ALONG with finding a QB in the draft.  I.E. a veteran QB like Cutler.

Forget Cutler, he has nothing above his shoulders, and is cr@p without Brandon Marshall.   Draft BPA in 1st round - preferably a WR, if not WR then must get a WR in 2nd round.  Go into next camp with a restructured Sanchez competing against Geno and Simms. 

Free agent signings:

WR Riley Cooper

TE Brandon Pettigrew

OLB Brian Orapko

SS Bernard Pollard

FS Kendrick Lewis

Draft needs

1.   WR

2.   OG

3.   ILB

4.   CB

5.   RB

6.   WR

7.   OT

Im not a hater, i get why he left but at the same time he is making an absurd amount of money in general, not to mention his injury, he will get brought down to reality when he gets cut and gets a substantial paycut.

"He will be brought down to reality when he gets cut"? Thats not a "haters" comment? 

Darrelle Revis at 50% (or an 8 million a year CB) is better than half the CB's in the league today, just ask Antonio Cromartie. You dont simply cut a CB who's worth 8 million, you do what the Jets did....you trade him. It sounds to me like you have a bit of a problem with Revis, which as a Jets fan I can understand, but what you're saying sounds more like you're wishing for his downfall more than him no longer being a viable CB worth cutting. I wouldnt sit here and preach that the man is worth 16 million, but again, Revis is no bum  even with his knee. His stats this year are similar to his 2010 season when he was considered the best in the league. Granted, he's not on an island every down playing man coverage, but thats a mixture of Tampa's defensive scheme and the fact that the man is still recovering. 

Darelle is still a beast. You couldnt name me 10 better CB's in this league that is clear-cut better than dude. There's no such thing. 

Look, you know I am on record for wanting to trade up for Teddy or Johnny Football, but if I heard that the Jets just signed Jay Cutler, I would literally be doing backflips. Jay Cutler for all his inadequacies, compared to what we have been forced to witness these past 5 years, would be like changing from the last girl available at last call to a freaking supermodel.

I would take Jay Cutler in a heartbeat.

**** Cutler, dude is an injury prone crybaby who throws his team under the bus, do not want him anywhere near this team.

Well....I thought the Jets were sold on Richardson regardless.....so then we would of just taken Richardson with our first pick instead of Dee, no?

They took with #9 the player they were most afraid of losing before 13.  That player was Milner.  If they valued Richardson more they would have taken him at 9

**** Cutler, dude is an injury prone crybaby who throws his team under the bus, do not want him anywhere near this team.

Again, I will repeat what I said. I am on record wanting the Jets to trade up to get Teddy or Johnny Football. You know that, you have seen my posts. But if the Jets decide to go FA QB, then again, I am not a huge Cutler guy, but compared to the ABSOLUTE worst (make that 2nd worst by a tenth of a point), Playing of the QB position for the past 5 years, by this team, if they get Cutler, I will be celebrating like I just hit megamillions.

Sorry Cutler compared to these two guys would be like trading a PACER for a MERCEDES.

They took with #9 the player they were most afraid of losing before 13.  That player was Milner.  If they valued Richardson more they would have taken him at 9

I understand....I am saying that if we had Revis going into this years draft then we would have most likely just drafted Richardson at #9 since there would have been no need for a CB ......so its hard to say that we wouldn't have Richardson if we didn't trade for that 13th pick

Forget Cutler, he has nothing above his shoulders, and is cr@p without Brandon Marshall.   Draft BPA in 1st round - preferably a WR, if not WR then must get a WR in 2nd round.  Go into next camp with a restructured Sanchez competing against Geno and Simms. 

Free agent signings:

WR Riley Cooper

TE Brandon Pettigrew

OLB Brian Orapko

SS Bernard Pollard

FS Kendrick Lewis

Draft needs

1.   WR

2.   OG

3.   ILB

4.   CB

5.   RB

6.   WR

7.   OT

You really want to go into camp next year with our QB options:

Sanchez (historically, one of the WORST 4 year stretches of QBing EVER in the NFL)

Smith (One of the WORST rookie seasons by a QB in the past 10 years, even worse than above)

Simms (Undrafted FA, who has shown nothing in real NFL games)

If they do, and we still have REX, I will say as I did this year 5-11, 6-10ish.

Question for u guys. Who do u want to pay ? Wilkerson is going to want prob 15 16 . Haveing 50 mil in cap room doesn't mean u will be good just means the owner will save money go ask the Tampa fans . In order to be in the hunt for a SB u need a qb and we don't have one

Really, you cant wait for him to make just 8 million a year? Lol sometimes these football players are crummy, and other times fans are just haters. 

Yep.  The NFL is definitely the "not for long" league so I'm certainly not going to blame him for trying to maximize his earnings.  During his time here, the guy was one of the greatest Jets ever.  There's no way I'm going to be anything but grateful for that.  I remain a Revis fan (and a Jet fan).

Zero chance of Revis getting cut. Jets fans have convinced themselves he wasn't that good for whatever reason. We paid the wrong guys.

Why isn't Nick Mangold selfish? He's actually overrated and more overpaid than Revis is.

They could do a cut *wink* resign with Revis avoid giving the Jets the third rounder next year. But I agree, he'll be a Buc next season.

And yeah, Mangold and Harris are two more way overpaid players from the Tannenbaum blueprint.

I understand....I am saying that if we had Revis going into this years draft then we would have most likely just drafted Richardson at #9 since there would have been no need for a CB ......so its hard to say that we wouldn't have Richardson if we didn't trade for that 13th pick

Even if Revis was still on the team I'm not  so sure the Jets would have taken Richardson at 9.   Revis was still off an ACL, and most likely would be in the final year of his contract.  Even if they had foolishly given him a $16,000,000 extension, Cro would still be going into 2014 with a $15,000,000 price tag, at 30 YO.  He wasn't seeing that money.

Milliner actually had a top 10 grade on him, still very likely they take him at 9 

. In order to be in the hunt for a SB u need a qb and we don't have one

wanting to pay a franchise QB and paying one are two very different things. there are 20+ teams who "want" to pay a franchise QB. The Jets had an opportunity to pay one of the best defenders in the league and they passed for whatever reason. Now they have all this cap room, no good Cbs and no good QB's. 

wanting to pay a franchise QB and paying one are two very different things. there are 20+ teams who "want" to pay a franchise QB. The Jets had an opportunity to pay one of the best defenders in the league and they passed for whatever reason. Now they have all this cap room, no good Cbs and no good QB's.

Hmmm, 20+:

Brady (NE)

Tannehill (Miami)

Flacco (Balt)

Luck (Indianaplolis)

RGIII (Wash)

Manning (NY Giants)

Manning (Denver)

Rodgers (GB)

Cutler (Chicago)

Stafford (Detrot)

Kaepernick (SF)

Wilson (Seattle)

Brees(NO)

Ryan (Atlanta)

Newton (Carolina)

Smith (KC)

Rivers (SD)

Dalton (Cincy)

Romo (Dallas)

Bradford (St Louis)

Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh)

maybe:

Foles (Philly)

It appears that TWENTY-ONE teams have found their "guy" leaving 11 that WANT to pay a franchise guy, and I include Buffalo, in this eleven as the book is still out on him, so it appears that 2/3's of the teams in the NFL have found thier guy, so I guess it cant be that tough given the haves to have nots.

Obviously, all these teams with REAL QB's are better than the Jets, simply because of that ONE position, the most important position in sports, and until they address that need, we will continue to be a bottom feeder in the NFL.

Hmmm, 20+:

Brady (NE)  For sure  a HOF'er maybe GOAT.  He's also 36 and I doubt he's playing forever

Tannehill (Miami) Looks like their guy going forward.  Some people wanted him replaced a month ago

Flacco (Balt)  Gave him the big money.  He's their guy

Luck (Indianaplolis)  Yep

RGIII (Wash)  IMO RGIII has some ? marks on him right now.

Manning (NY Giants)   having an awful year, but for now OK

Manning (Denver)  Definitely should be in market for his replacement

Rodgers (GB)  Yep

Cutler (Chicago)  IDK about that

Stafford (Detrot)  Yeah

Kaepernick (SF) yeah

Wilson (Seattle) yeah

Brees(NO) yeah

Ryan (Atlanta) yeah

Newton (Carolina)yeah

Smith (KC) yeah

Rivers (SD)yeah

Dalton (Cincy)Yeah

Romo (Dallas) yeah

Bradford (St Louis)yeah

Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh)  Like Big Ben as a QB, but I think his body is showing signs of the beating he has subjected it to

maybe:

Foles (Philly)

It appears that TWENTY-ONE teams have found their "guy" leaving 11 that WANT to pay a franchise guy, and I include Buffalo, in this eleven as the book is still out on him, so it appears that 2/3's of the teams in the NFL have found thier guy, so I guess it cant be that tough given the haves to have nots.

Obviously, all these teams with REAL QB's are better than the Jets, simply because of that ONE position, the most important position in sports, and until they address that need, we will continue to be a bottom feeder in the NFL.

Not really sure all these guys are franchise QB's for the future, I count about 15 that seem set right now.   Some of the run option QB's I don't know how well they are going to fare in the future.  Your point is well taken that about half the league are hoping they have their QB of the future

Not really sure all these guys are franchise QB's for the future, I count about 15 that seem set right now.   Some of the run option QB's I don't know how well they are going to fare in the future.  Your point is well taken that about half the league are hoping they have their QB of the future

Sure, my list is as of right now, and just to show that far less than his "20 are looking to pay a franchise QB". Sure, the read option guys could bomb in the future, Brady and Manning are aging, and Ben is beat up BUT as of right now, it appears 21 teams have their guy, and many of these teams seem to always have their guy, but yet the JETS since Namath have never had their guy.

I would assume that most if not all the teams without their guy (Jets, TB, Tenn, Jack,Houston,Cleveland, Oakland, Arizona, Minn, will all consider QBs from this QB loaded draft. For us Jet fans sake, I sure hope so.

If the Jets' plan was to keep Revis they would have dumped Cromartie instead of lowering his '13 cap number by forking over more bonus money.  With the cap issues we had, I don't see Idzik keeping both.  

The Jets were drafting Milliner with or without Revis.  If they viewed Milliner as a future GREAT corner, which it seems they did (whether "they" is Idzik or the former scouts or both is yet unknown), they weren't going to pass up on him because Revis was under contract for 1 more season.  Particularly for 1 season he wasn't going to be 100% healthy for, and one which Idzik was using as a salary/contract dump year anyway, with an inherited HC all signs say he was forced into keeping. 

Keeping him for 1 more year and then letting him opt-out of his contract after 2013 means $9M of Revis's prior bonus would have accelerated to the 2014 cap (just like $13M did this season, though that would have been $12M if Idzik could have unloaded him sooner).  The Jets would have had 2 choices: extend him to a $15-16M/year deal with new money starting in 2013, or leave it all alone for the year.  Most advocates for keeping him say we should have left everything alone and extended him after the season.  Except that though this was possible on paper, it is not what would have happened in any universe.  

If Revis wanted a new deal for 2013 (which he clearly did; hell, he wanted it in 2012), and the Jets made him risk injury without a new contract first for the 2nd year in a row, there is no way on planet earth that he is re-signing with the Jets until he's shopped himself around the league first, and the Jets then became the highest bidder by more than just a nominal amount.  He's got 9% tax in NJ that he doesn't pay in Tampa or for other teams (and significantly less than 9% for still more).  Then you have the spite-factor, where personalities get in the way (in both directions).  In Revis's mind, had we kept him for 2013 with no new deal, we'd have done him wrong yet again, by not giving him more guaranteed/bonus money in 2013, and letting him risk getting hurt again before he had a chance at another cash-in (as he did the year before, when he also wanted to hold out).

And that's another thing people conveniently forget and gloss-over.  After he got 2 years $32M (or $33M; I forget) from the Jets for 2010 and 2011, Revis wanted his contract ripped up again (claiming Tannenbaum promised him that's what he was going to do).  When asked, at the time, if he was showing up to camp I recall his answer being something of the "we'll see" variety.  The only reason he didn't hold out in that spring/summer of 2012 is because Tannenbaum put a clause in there that says holding out removes Revis's escape clause after 2013. (Technically his prior deal was for 7 years with an opt-out after 4, and everyone fully knew Revis would opt-out as soon as he could.  Holding out would cancel that opt-out clause and he'd be locked in for "only" $5M/year from 2014-2016).  So Revis was pretty angry in the 2012 offseason, as some now choose to forget, and only showed up because he had no choice.  

Fast-forward to September of that same year and he blows out his knee.  So he didn't get a new contract (again) as he felt he deserved, then effs-up his knee, and at the time never knew if he'd ever be the same again (and therefore possibly lost his chance at one last big payday).  I believe in his mind, the Jets screwed him over BIG-time.  

Now fast-forward another 5 months or so.  All those stories about how Idzik didn't meet with Revis's agents about an extension that Revis badly wanted.  After missing another payday in 2012, now after a year of rehab, the Jets further disrespect him by then letting him play out year 4 of his contract, there is no f*cking way he's re-signing with us in 2014+ prior to testing the FA waters (and maybe even add in a penalty for the lost money we supposedly cost him).  

Then throw in there some animosity in the other direction, where Woody Johnson is pissed off that this guy held out twice already, and clearly would have held out again a 3rd time if Tannenbaum didn't put that poison-pill in the 2010 Revis contract.  It means nothing to us as fans, but those writing the checks don't view signing bonuses as past salary that doesn't count anymore; they view bonus money as advance-pay for future play.  Players (particularly Revis) want to pretend the past bonus was for past play and what have you done for me lately? I'm in the middle myself, as I care about the Jets' cap situation but beyond that I couldn't possibly care less how much money Woody Johnson saves personally.  It's not like he earned any of it anyway.  Plus we all know football contracts aren't guaranteed for more than the first 1-3 years anyway and that muddies things.

This is a fantasy that he would have played out 2013 for us and then re-signs before March to a $16M/year deal, but a team-friendly one at that, in which some $ is backloaded to offset the $3M/year that already hits from his prior contract before any new money hits.  C'mon.  Revis has clearly shown himself to be a grudge-holding guy, and it's far more likely he'd have told the Jets to f*ck off and the only way he signs with us for $16M is if the 2nd-highest bidder is $13.5M.  But we already know at least 1 team felt he was worth $16M and a #13 overall draft pick.  Imagine how much more he's worth to them if they didn't have to fork over that #1 (and a #3 or #4).  The Jets weren't going to get away with merely matching what a new team offers (a new team that he feels hadn't yet wronged him as the Jets did, and is in a tax-free state to boot).

What does all this mean? Unless Idzik is totally brain-damaged, he had to know there were 2 realistic options in early 2013:

Option 1 = trading Revis now and getting what he could.  

Option 2 = keep him for 2013, then Revis walks in FA unless the Jets are far and away the #1 bidder (which wasn't going to happen absent a new owner, and there's that other thing, that Revis is not worth $16M/year anyway).

Summary: IMO there is no realistic scenario, other than a Jets fan's (understandable) desire in hindsight after seeing Milliner suck, where Idzik passes up on Milliner and takes Richardson instead.  Believe the contrary all you want, but the Jets saw Milliner as being a better draft pick to make than was Richardson, and were drafting him at #9 with or without one final year of a then-still-rehabbing Revis during a throwaway season.  

Archived